Awoo.

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Brad

1 hour ago, Marcello said:

Nintendo Switch Uses Friend Codes To Add Friends

Pictures Here

tom-delonge-wtf1.gif

How is Nintendo still using friend codes in 2017? I mean seriously, Nintendo now owns a substantial part of the mobile publisher DeNA (and vice versa); surely someone at DeNA should have explained why friends codes just aren't an efficient solution compared to other available options. If anything friend codes are counterproductive, so clumsy and anti-user that it actively suppresses the development of online gaming on Nintendo platforms.

What's bizarre is that Wii U did away with them. And we have User IDs that are separate from our display names. I honestly don't know why they're back.

• Thumbs Up 4

20 minutes ago, Gregtaku91 said:

Oh don't even...

I'm serious that's a main reason they were implement

Just now, Marcello said:

What's bizarre is that Wii U did away with them. And we have User IDs that are separate from our display names. I honestly don't know why they're back.

I was just about to put this.

A lot of Nintendo's weird practices can sort of be explained with the fact that they've never taken part in most of the supposed features before. That's not the case here as the Wii U had this shit on lock-down. I'm more confused at the fact that they seem to be moving backwards here.

Here's hoping they drop this in a future (hopefully soon) update. They have to know by now that no one likes friend codes. It's what helped kill online features for them in the past and now they want people to pay for it all? pff

39 minutes ago, Strickerx5 said:

I was just about to put this.

A lot of Nintendo's weird practices can sort of be explained with the fact that they've never taken part in most of the supposed features before. That's not the case here as the Wii U had this shit on lock-down. I'm more confused at the fact that they seem to be moving backwards here.

Here's hoping they drop this in a future (hopefully soon) update. They have to know by now that no one likes friend codes. It's what helped kill online features for them in the past and now they want people to pay for it all? pff

Nintendo's reluctance to implement industry standard network features has always been one of the galling aspects of their hardware. It's all well and good that Nintendo presents themselves as a champion of traditional gaming but there's nothing traditional about making it harder for people to set-up multiplayer games over long distances.

The kinds of mistakes that lead to friend codes were already bizarre in 2006, when Microsoft and Sony already had the whole internet gaming thing worked out.

Actually, I can go back even further to 2000 with Phantasy Star Online on the Dreamcast. It was run on a dialup modem but was still a console MMORPG with full-fledged account system. (Damn I miss that game...)

Potentially good news if true. Seems that Joycons can have their firmware updated when attached to the console. And it might even correct this issue that's been happening in review copies. If true, this probably means that the theory of the left Joycon not increasing its power after being detached from the Switch was correct.

I was lucky enough to get my Pro Controller and carrying case today. Unfortunately the Switch itself and Zelda won't be arriving until tomorrow, but it's pretty cool to have the controller at any rate. I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to using it. It feels great. It's heavier than both a DS4 and Wii U Pro Controller, but that's a good thing. It's very solid. The buttons and sticks are satisfying to move about too. Perhaps the best thing though is the ergonomics. It's more rounded than the unusually flat U controller, and has a slightly rough, matte finish that's very pleasant to hold on to (and doesn't pick up fingerprints thank God). It also looks a damn sight nicer than the bulbous DS4 - it's sleek. If for whatever reason you don't get along too well with the Joy Con grip, I wholeheartedly recommend you try this out. It's wonderful. The only real downside if the lack of analogue triggers, but hey ho I don't really play any games that make use of them so it's a non-issue for me.

I charged the battery by plugging by plugging in into a spare USB port on my shiny black paperweight.

psperweight.thumb.JPG.1e849b5c9bb03eb6689f716dff9aad37.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Marcello said:

Nintendo Switch Uses Friend Codes To Add Friends

Pictures Here

tom-delonge-wtf1.gif

Yes Nintendo, smart plan. Charge for your online functionality, despite it being worse than the other options on the other consoles on the other generations, make your free game system terrible by allowing us to rent 8 Bit and 16 Bit games, and now keep the most idiotic thing that the online has had since the Wii. 

*sigh*

This better not be the main method. Seriously.

1 hour ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Adding friends via social network and Nintendo Network ID will come at a later date.

http://gonintendo.com/stories/275184-switch-will-let-you-add-friends-via-social-networks-and-nintendo

That's not really what it says. It says you can add people who are already connected to your NNID. As in, your friends on 3DS/Wii U.

Several methods can be used to add friends as quickly and easily as possible: · By linking Nintendo Switch to your Nintendo Account, your friends from Miitomo and Super Mario Run will appear as friend candidates so you can easily send them a friend request. Also, we are planning it so that friends from social networking services will be listed as candidates, too.

• In the future, you will be able to send a friend request to friends associated with your NNID (Wii U/Miiverse) and Nintendo 3DS.
  • In some games you will be able to use an in-game interface to send friend requests.
  • You can send friend requests to those who have played with you recently.
  • You can establish a friend through local wireless communication.
  • You can also send a friend request by using a friend code.

So, you can't just search someone's NNID and send a request.

• Thumbs Up 3

Hold on guys, before you get too upset...

Reached for comment this morning, a representative for Nintendo told Polygon that additional ways to add friends will be coming to the console, including using social networking, in-game menus and the much easier-to-remember Nintendo Network ID.

It's confirmed that they will add more options, including NNID search to add friends. The reason it's not available yet is probably also related to why we don't have paid online or voice chat yet. Likely everything will be ready by the time the paid online starts. Here is the source of the quote btw.

3 minutes ago, Crazy_Diamond said:

It's confirmed that they will add more options, including NNID search to add friends. The reason it's not available yet is probably also related to why we don't have paid online or voice chat yet. Likely everything will be ready by the time the paid online starts. Here is the source of the quote btw.

It's kind of weird that something as basic as that has to be added at a later date. What's even weirder is they have had quite a while to prepare their online services and they still ended up dropping the ball. It's not a deal breaker for me, because I'm still buying the system. I just hope they implement a quality service once they actually do get it all up and running proper.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Gregtaku91 said:

It's kind of weird that something as basic as that has to be added at a later date. What's even weirder is they have had quite a while to prepare their online services and they still ended up dropping the ball. It's not a deal breaker for me, because I'm still buying the system. I just hope they implement a quality service once they actually do get it all up and running proper.

Yeah, I think it's weird too. Perhaps the theory that Nintendo is doing a soft launch isn't as far fetched as it seems. Maybe they want to create a big push for the Switch in the holiday session, but at the same time they want to release the Switch in March to get Zelda on it and to create more hype with E3 and the months leading up to the holidays. Super Mario Odyssey coming out during the holidays seems to support this as well. Of course, I might be reading too much into this. It might be nothing. At least the hardware looks like it doesn't have any major defects, so even if they are doing a soft launch, it wouldn't affect early adopters negatively.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Crazy_Diamond said:

Phew. This company drives me crazy sometimes, i tell ya.

Doesn't appear the Joy-Con desyncing issue has quite been fixed, even with the applied update.

Re: Friend Options: It's pretty stupid this isn't something they didn't just do out of the box. The system was already in place with the Wii U, for fuck's sake (oh right, Nintendo likes to pretend it doesn't exist). I'm guessing the long trial until Autumn for the online services is to get stuff like this ironed out, but it's kind of a shame that they're doing this pretty slowly. Hopefully they stick with it and it steadily improves heading into when they start actually charging for it.

I might get it this month or in April, but I hope eveyone who got the Swtich is enjoying it.

Likewise, I still have too big a 3DS backlog to make the jump to Switch just yet, but I'm sure I'll be joining the rest of you later this year.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh man... I really, really can't stress it enough just what a beautifully designed system this is. It's so delightfully elegant on every front. Every is so small, snappy and intricate. I'm absolutely loving it so far. It's hard to believe just how powerful it is for its size. And the Joy-Con are even smaller than I expected. So far they seem perfectly usable independently or in the grip, but I'd still say the pro controller is better. Nintendo did good though. Holy crap they did good. The UI is stunning as well. It's again simple and so much more refined than the slow and dated stylings of the Wii U one. It also looks far more mature without Miis running around everywhere making silly noises. I've tried it in all three configurations, and handheld mode is quite possibly my favourite. Also worth mentioning is that I tried to mimic the Joy-Con connectivity problems. Now while I don't doubt for a second that there's a legitimate problem out there with the signal getting interrupted too easily, everything seems to be absolutely fine for me. 

There are only two issues that I have so far. The first is the screen. Now the screen is absolutely brilliant - it's bright, vivid and sharp. Visually I could hardly ask for more. But both it and the entire front of the console are going to be very prone to scratching, especially given the nature of the system; it's a portable console, and you have to use it conjunction with a load accessories that could very easily scratch it. If you're ever going to use it outside the dock, you need a screen protector and preferably a case as well. You'll very soon regret it if you don't. Heck, I imagine it will be quite easily to scratch it just from being slightly misaligned when you attempt to put it in the dock. I had already bought a screen protector and applied it before I even switched it on. This isn't really an "issue" I suppose, but you definitely want to be aware of it. 

The other complaint is the stand. It's a bit crap. It's only on one side of the system, and it keeps the whole thing very vertical. Basically, it makes for an awkward viewing angle and isn't very stable. Plus, as you know, you can't plug it in when it's on the stand.

But yeah, anyway, this thing is bloody brilliant and I'm so glad I got it day one! My copy of Bomberman won't be coming for a while yet because they oversold on pre-orders, but considering the low price that I'm getting it for I'm really not too upset. 

How's everyone else finding it? My FC is SW-7132-4142-7833 if anyone wants to add me. 

• Thumbs Up 5

After playing around with it for a while, I gotta say, this system shits all over the Vita, and that's saying something considering the Vita is a delightful little thing.

It's obvious Nintendo really was taking shit seriously after the Wii U and 3DS. This might actually be my favourite system this gen, and I only have Zelda, so that speaks volumes about how well-designed this thing is. It's an unbelievable handheld (battery life aside, but that can't be helped), the console part is just a nice bonus.

• Thumbs Up 2

The kickstand does seem poorly designed. If I put it on my (high) kitchen counter, I still have to crouch a bit to look at the screen, and I'm only 5'2"; if I put it on a coffee table or similar I'd have to sit on the floor.   I'm surprised it doesn't allow 2-3 positions.   Other than that, the Switch is so tiny!  It is a beautiful little machine, for sure.  Curiously, Walmart had two Switches and several additional joycon sets, and the Breath of the Wild amiibos (which are out for the third time even though they can't be sold until Monday!), but no games.  I preordered Breath of the Wild from amazon, but I'm not sure it will arrive before I leave town for the weekend.  At least going to Raleigh means I'll have plenty of access to screen protectors and such; I know 5 gamestops within 10 miles of my folks' house, plus at least three Best Buys in the same radius.  Versus where I live, where within 50 miles, we have . . . two Walmarts.

I've got the Switch set up and downloading Snipperclips; if I can get hold of my brother I'm sure he'll come help me play - possible with the three nieces in tow.  I got red/blue Switch version because that's what was available.  There were two of us hanging around electronics when it opened this morning (store opens an hour before the electronics department) so there were just enough Switches to go around.  The other guy had already determined that the next closest possibly available units were in a Target 90 miles away. Fortunately he didn't have to make the extra trip.

ETA:  I have seen warnings about the screen being scratched by the dock.  There are a couple of small rubber pads, but they're at the bottom of the slot.  I may cut a bit of the white foam wrap to slide down with the screen for protection.

Edited by Thrippa