Awoo.

Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games

Carbo

Hmmm, releasing the bigger version of the game in the same month of the event is a peculiar change of pace, but at least not one without at rational sense, and not too late. Guess it's also suitable if the conditions are akin to Smash Bros with the Wii U version getting a much more bulkier treatment of content and dev time to the point where it's beneficial to release the handheld version earlier to tide players over for the main course to come.

August isn't that far off! This will probably be the first I buy since 2010's edition. It's about time we get more characters playable.

Hopefully once the 3DS version comes out we'll finally get some more info on the Wii U version. It feels like ages since that one was last shown off.

As an amiibo nut, I am curious as to what would happen if I use multiple Mario or Sonic amiibo in the game on the same day, even if I expired the Gold Mii costume for the next 24 hours.

I have 6 different Mario amiibo, so I'm curious what'll happen. I'm also crossing my fingers for more amiibo functionality in the Wii U version.

• 4 weeks later...

That's cute!

Hopefully, there's more art like this littered throughout the game. It would make a nice touch!

Who wants to bet that there won't be a full CGI intro for this installment because

1. The last game didn't have one.

2. They obviously won't care anymore

and 3. I doubt they can make a brand new full HD intro with all those new characters added.

Man, I hope I'm wrong.  

• Thumbs Up 1

You want footage? Have all the events.

Spoiler

Same guy has started a story playthrough, for those interested.

So Eggman and Nega now have a new voice as of this game, Motomu Kiyokawa, the voice of Valkenhayn R. Hellsing from BlazBlue.  And he's just as old as Otsuka was.  I wonder what they will do with Masaharu Sato (the SegaSonic Arcade voice and JPN dub of Sonic Boom) now?

Before anyone worries about character being limited to certain events in the 3DS version, you can just unlock the characters that originally wasn't usable in the event.

87FVFjz.png

It kinda silly but whatever.

• Thumbs Up 1

My goodness that character select screen... No one even has new art... I'm pretty sure that Espio render is from like Shadow the Hedgehog or something circa 2005-6. Some of the Mario characters' renders might be even older than that. I know it's a lot of characters, but like, this just seems beyond lazy. 

Oh well, I do like how big this cast of characters is. It's really lovely. I hope the Wii U version brings us some nice art.

27 minutes ago, I'm Dan said:

Before anyone worries about character being limited to certain events in the 3DS version, you can just unlock the characters that originally wasn't usable in the event.

87FVFjz.png

It kinda silly but whatever.

Nope, after selecting an event, it briefly shows you this screen before throwing you to a smaller selection of specific characters. (Question marks included.)

Also, it seems like the unlockables are as follows:

Mario: Diddy, Rosalina, Nabbit, Dry Bowser, Larry, Wendy, Roy

Sonic: Rouge, Jet, Wave, Sticks, Eggman Nega, Zavok, Zazz

You want more footage? Have both full story modes.

Spoiler

Edit: There seems a bit more.

I'll give my opinion later.

I just noticed something. In the first (and only) Wii U trailer for the game, Nabbit was shown in the 100m Sprint event, Zazz was seen in Table Tennis, and Jet was spotted in Football. Now, in the 3DS version, each newcomer is limited to one event. Nabbit? 100m Sprint. Zazz? Table Tennis. Jet? Football.

I think it's obvious where this is going (at least where it was going when the first trailer was released). The veterans will be available in all events whereas the new characters may be restricted to, worst-case scenario, one event each. Now, Rouge was seen in Beach Volleyball in the Wii U trailer instead of in her 3DS event, Golf, but keep in mind Golf will probably not be in the Wii U version. The same goes for Diddy Kong, who was seen in the Rugby event which is Wii U exclusive.

Oh well, I never believed 20 new characters would be playable in all events, anyway, and I must say I would have preferred 4 to 8 fully-playable characters instead.

• Thumbs Up 1

That would be stupid if it happened. This isn't the 3DS, it's the Wii U. It should be more than powerful enough to support everyone in a minigame-fest. 

• Thumbs Up 7

It is very stupid, but it does not have to do anything with hardware limitations. Heck, the DS handled 20 fully playable characters just fine in the Winter Olympics. However, this is all about budget. You've got to animate each character for each event, give them special attacks, swimming strokes, unique stats etc and if the Vancouver olympics only got four new characters although being a sequel to practically the best-selling "Sonic" game ever, then how low do you think the budget must be for the Sochi sequel, a game that absolutely bombed? If they really tried with this title, Nintendo would at least promote it, or, say, acknowledge its existence, but at this point the Mario & Sonic series ist just shovelware like Mario Tennis.

By showing all these new characters in the trailer, many people got excited and willing to give this series another try, so it's not an entirely stupid strategy...too bad that one day, a game gets released and then it explodes in their faces. Another hint may be the Arcade edition, which only features the original 20 characters and not a single newcomer.

Of course, I wish for all of these characters to be playable in all events (well, maybe not Nega), as some have deserved to be for a long time (like Rouge, Cream and Espio), but I'm 90% sure this is not how it will turn out in the end.

22 hours ago, LukA8 said:

I just noticed something. In the first (and only) Wii U trailer for the game, Nabbit was shown in the 100m Sprint event, Zazz was seen in Table Tennis, and Jet was spotted in Football. Now, in the 3DS version, each newcomer is limited to one event. Nabbit? 100m Sprint. Zazz? Table Tennis. Jet? Football.

I think it's obvious where this is going (at least where it was going when the first trailer was released). The veterans will be available in all events whereas the new characters may be restricted to, worst-case scenario, one event each. Now, Rouge was seen in Beach Volleyball in the Wii U trailer instead of in her 3DS event, Golf, but keep in mind Golf will probably not be in the Wii U version. The same goes for Diddy Kong, who was seen in the Rugby event which is Wii U exclusive.

Oh well, I never believed 20 new characters would be playable in all events, anyway, and I must say I would have preferred 4 to 8 fully-playable characters instead.

Considering how it's taking a lot longer for the Wii U version to be given an official release date, I'm hoping we won't have to worry about that at all. That's most likely the reason the Wii U version is taking longer, they're probably taking their time to make sure all the characters are properly animated and functional in each event. I especially hope no characters are missing in the Wii U version. I do find it a bit shameful that some other characters from the games are missing, like Storm the Albatross. Some of the character choices were just plain questionable, like Eggman Nega, Dry Bones, and Dry Bowser. Wouldn't it have made more sense to have all 3 members of Team Babylon in the game, instead of only 2 of them? Eggman Nega and Dry Bowser are too similar to Eggman and Bowser to be well considered as separate playable characters. Dry Bones seems like an odd one out as well, they could have easily had another Koopaling in his place instead.

Those make sense from the standpoint that they're already in the series, they've been rivals for the past three instalments. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In recent news, it appears we finally have more to say on the Wii U version:

My Nintendo News

NX, Wii U and Nintendo 3DS news

Mario & Sonic Rio 2016 Wii U Will Release In North America In June

mario_and_sonic_rio_olympic_games_logo_2

Information from Tomy’s toy fair NY booth has confirmed that the Wii U version of Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games will release in North America in June of this year. Previously, the Wii U version of the game had a release date of “later this year”.

No word on a release date in Europe was given.

June alas! Keen to know more finally.

• Thumbs Up 3