Awoo.

The "What the HECK Is A 2016 Sonic" Prophecy Thread (two topics from the pre-server wipe in one!)

azoo

To completely shift gears...

I do ponder what kind of money SEGA's going to shit out for event budgets.

I remember AAUK stating that anniversaries and big titles both impact how much is invested into events... so I can only imagine Sonic Boom is going to be massive next year, not to mention SoS if it returns.

I do ponder if they'd consider doing anything else... maybe just making their booths at all the gaming expos bigger? As ideal as it would be for there to be two Sonic Booms, one in the West and one in the East.

• 2 weeks later...

More news to suggest that the 25th Anniversary game/celebrations will be Classic Sonic focused.

And again it comes from the Vegas Licensing Expo (seriously we NEED someone to go to these things), it turns out that Sega were heavilly promoting the 25th Anniversary, it wasn't just a logo and the odd mention. It turns out they had some details about next years event.

In a daily newsletter which was published and distributed at the event, there is the normal press release/details regarding Boom which was made availalbe when the show was on... however, there is one extra bit of detail which has since been omitted from various news articles/sites.

That being the following...

SEGA is also planning to showcase the heritage of the classic "Sonic" franchise as part of its anniversary celebrations

So now we have two separate sources, First4Figures saying that their 25th Anniversary Statue has to have Classic Sonic as the main focus, and now we have Sega saying that they're planning to showcase the heritage of the classic Sonic brand. 

Nothing to directly say that there will be a game with Classic Sonic in, but I find it very odd that there is such focus on Classic Sonic and it won't be reflected in a game of some sorts.

Full article including the source here: http://www.sonicstadium.org/2015/07/sonics-25th-anniversary-celebration-to-feature-heritage-of-the-classic-sonic-franchise/

• Thumbs Up 3

God... Damnit. Calling it now, it's gonna be Sonic Generations 2. Excuse me, I'm going to puke, because I can't contain my optimism for another round of "HEY REMEMBER WHEN WE DIDN'T SUCK GAISE?!".

God... Damnit. Calling it now, it's gonna be Sonic Generations 2. Excuse me, I'm going to puke, because I can't contain my optimism for another round of "HEY REMEMBER WHEN WE DIDN'T SUCK GAISE?!".

But Generations was great.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sure, but it's really frustrating when a franchise has to recreate older games to be great. It's a sign of complete resignation to expand the series or its lore beyond time travel.

If they did do a Sonic Generations 2, I'd much prefer they ditched the time travel idea and simply recreated older stages as part of a newer story, to establish continuity between games.

Though it'd be even better if they could make an entirely new game that was good. It's possible. And with 5 years or so of development, I'm optimistic as hell.

• Thumbs Up 6

Yeah, I don't think it's gonna be a Generations 2. There hasn't been enough time and haven't been enough games since Generations to justify making another one. As cool and slightly disappointing as it would be to get a Generations 2, I think it'll be something completely different. What exactly? I don't really have an idea, tbh XD

If their focus is gonna be on classic Sonic, they better get the god damn physics right. Classic Sonic in Generations was fun, but it wasn't as fun as it could have been... 

• Thumbs Up 1

Generations was fun, don't get me wrong. But it seems that everything that Modern Sonic has done in the last 5 years has basically amounted to being "HEY GAISE, REMEMBER WHEN WE DIDN'T SUCK?!" aside from what? Colors? And that found plenty of ways to express this lack of self-confidence that this franchise has been expressing across the board. I thought that shit was over when they announced Sonic Boom, and we were finally going to move on and get Sonic games with real confidence behind them, but it basically is more of the same shit. The only part of the franchise that feels like it's willing to actually BELIEVE in itself is the comics, and thank god for it, because I'm so fucking exhausted from the rest of the Sonic franchise being cynical, defeatist, and self-deprecating.

Yeah, I don't think it's gonna be a Generations 2. There hasn't been enough time and haven't been enough games since Generations to justify making another one. As cool and slightly disappointing as it would be to get a Generations 2, I think it'll be something completely different. What exactly? I don't really have an idea, tbh XD

The short amount of time since Colors and Unleashed didn't stop them from incorporating that into the game. :P

I see no reason why the number of games would make any difference with that in mind. They'd just use different stages.

Classic Sonic focus, eh?

Guess they totally gave up on "Modern" Sonic, and it really sucks. I want something NEW: not a rehash, not a "Hey guys, back then we didn't suck, we swear!" deal, not another pandering to the nostalgic guys who can't stand new (well implemented) ideas, a well-written plot and "Sonic's shitty friends".

And don't try to tell me "The game isn't out yet, we don't know anything about it", because the same thing happened with Lost World and Boom. I'm not optimistic about it at all. Feel free to express your hype, your hopes about the game. Don't care about this party-pooper. 

I wish they would prove me wrong, I really do.

Edited by Naldush Repulsa

The short amount of time since Colors and Unleashed didn't stop them from incorporating that into the game. :P

Well that's because it was celebrating the past 20 years and those two games fell under that. Generations was a special anniversary game, celebrating everything from the past. It was a big and emphatic, especially as far as anniversary games go (for any franchise).  I don't think SEGA, as dumb as they are, would only wait 5 more years before doing something like that again. I'm sure they'd at least realize 5 years is not long enough to be all "OMG guys let's all remember the past shenanigans AGAIN" especially when the last 5 years haven't had jack diddly squat (outside from Lost World in the main series).

• Thumbs Up 1

And don't try to tell me "The game isn't out yet, we don't know anything about it", because the same thing happened with Lost World and Boom. I'm not optimistic about it at all. Feel free to express your hype, your hopes about the game. Don't care about this party-pooper. 

But we don't know anything about it.

You're complaining about a fear not a fact.

• Thumbs Up 3

Classic Sonic focus, eh?

Guess they totally gave up on "Modern" Sonic, and it really sucks. I want something NEW: not a rehash, not a "Hey guys, back then we didn't suck, we swear!" deal, not another pandering to the nostalgic guys who can't stand new (well implemented) ideas, a well-written plot and "Sonic's shitty friends".

Just because it has Classic Sonic doesn't mean it won't be something new. What if it's a big-budget Classic styled game that's all new? You know, with new zones and bosses and everything? I'd be down for that. Especially after 5 years of development, haha!

I get why Classic Sonic could be a big deal here, with a 25th anniversary title and all, but..I have mixed feelings on Generations 2. It would be nice because I loved Generations and getting more of that, maybe with some more polish to it, that would be great and I'm sure I would enjoy it..but it wouldn't exactly satisfy the need for a new, good Sonic title that doesn't have them focusing on the past. I think the fans deserve something fresh, SEGA has shown their dedication to the old titles in more than enough ways already.

• Thumbs Up 1

If they're not going to bother seriously getting the physics right, then there's little point to classical retreads other than them shamelessly dragging the supposed style along on a leash to provoke a positive nostalgia response. It's just shallow marketing, and I'm tired of having to entertain it. Can we have something modern and new that isn't Boom or not?

• Thumbs Up 6

I still don't know if I credit the existence of a part of Sonic Team that has been dedicated to making the next anniversary game since the last anniversary game.

We don't even know yet if this classic Sonic talk actually has anything to do with the next game, or what form it'll take if it does. I'm against blatant nostalgia pandering as much as anyone, but it's not worth getting worked up over something we know basically nothing about.

• Thumbs Up 6

We don't even know yet if this classic Sonic talk actually has anything to do with the next game, or what form it'll take if it does. I'm against blatant nostalgia pandering as much as anyone, but it's not worth getting worked up over something we know basically nothing about.

While true, I really wouldn't put it past them to do a move like that. They've been doing it for the past five years. It just falls in line with that same pattern.

Edited by WittyUsername

I really hope this major focus on Classic Sonic has nothing to do with more nostalgia pandering in the 25th Anniversary game. Or that rumoured SegaSonic crossover thing oh God no please anything but that.

You know what though? I'd be ALL over a Sonic 3 & Knuckles remake with HD graphics, remastered soundtrack, epic story, proper psychics, multiple playable characters, missions and new levels. That would make my day (or year!).

• Thumbs Up 2

A story set in the past would be the only way I'd be okay with "Classic Sonic focus."

Just... please no Classic Eggman in 3D, again. Balloon Eggman looks really weird. He's fine in artwork but in 3D? Just put Modern Eggman in the Classic Eggman's outfit.

Ah, who am I kidding? They will.

We've seen literally nothing. We don't even know if this hypothetical "Classic Sonic" focused game even exists or if its just some random BS. Granted it does seem like a Gens Mk 2 is likely (because Gens was a success and outside our fanbase, is exactly what the gaming community at large wants from the franchise), its all pure conjecture at this stage.

At least with Boom and LW there was actual gameplay footage and screenshots to work with. Here we have nothing.

Saying that we know nothing about the game is missing the point. People are going to emotionally respond to conjecture, rumors, and information as it's presented and there's nothing wrong with that. If the conjecture turns out wrong, then impressions will change accordingly. If there were rumblings that Sega was likely to be doing an Adventure 3 I would similarly expect most of the fandom to complain endlessly about it well before it was confirmed or debunked.

• Thumbs Up 6

Oh by the way, this was also in the newsletter.

CLQsV9vWoAA_o97.png

Aside from the close up of the 25th logo, look just to the right of it, you can see a bunch of promotional booklets for licensing/merchandising purposes, notice how thee is one which clearly shows the green hill zone/eggman and just below it a general Sega one which suggests to me that other Sega licenses are also up for grabs.

Edited by Hogfather
  • Thumbs Up 1