Awoo.

The "What the HECK Is A 2016 Sonic" Prophecy Thread (two topics from the pre-server wipe in one!)

azoo

-A competent story with a darker premise. No more of this little kid story crap. I want to see more serious tone, like the earth/mobius is in trouble kind of stuff. 

Yeah they could do something like, have Eggman make a machine that can suck the life essence out of everything on the planet, instead of something kiddy like...oh wait

-Ability to play as Sonic, Shadow, and Silver. This way you could play a variety of characters, without going away from the Sonic/fast pace style of play. (Loved this idea in 06, but obviously it wasn't executed well with the shitshow that 06 was. They could do a good job now imo.)

What sense does this make? Silver was one of the slowest characters to ever be playable back in '06. Even though they could give him fast, Sonicy gameplay, he's in absolutely no way a guarantee of fast, Sonicy gameplay. 

You mean an engine that was used for Sonic Colors?

It's called PhysX by Nvidia.

PhysX is also a phyisics engine

• 4 months later...

I wonder what's up with all this Classic Sonic stuff going on here?

I'm calling it, Sonic 5 for the 25th Anniversary title, haha.

• Thumbs Up 4

It's Sonic's anniversary. Whether or not the 25th anniversary game has Classic Sonic, merchandise based off of him isn't strange.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm probably being paranoid here, but I worry, given the failure of Sonic's 3D outings, and praise for the Genesis games/Generations, that Sega might phase out modern Sonic, and just stick to Classic/Boom Sonic's.

Or maybe it's all a trick! They release a Shadow-2 and shock everybody. =P

Knowing SEGA, I don't doubt lol Seriously tho, I would like a retro game for the 25th, with animated intros and ontros ala Sonic CD and all. Could pass pixelated graphics, tho. But keep the pinbalicious physics we love, or else it would be Episode 3... Do not want that.
  • Thumbs Up 2

Or maybe it's all a trick! They release a Shadow-2 and shock everybody. =P

Wrong. We all know it's going to be Sonic Adventure 3 Sonic Heroes 2.

• Thumbs Up 1

To be fair, The Classic Sonic brand of merchandise has always kind of stuck around. I know here in the UK there's always been a fair bit of it.

I think another tribute to the classics will be fine if it turns out that the game is actually set during that era and does something new with it instead of putting a chequered hill level into an otherwise unrelated game. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm sure they figured out through focus groups that Boom and Classic were the most marketable, so they decided not to bother with the version of Sonic that's been the main Sonic for the past 18 years.

I'm really really tired of neo-classic nonsense... But clearly no one else is if it keeps getting made...

IIRC sales have been down, for a bit. Even good games like sonic generations. 

Classic.... Classic... Classic... Classic... Classic... CLASSIC!

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2015/12/tomy-reveals-25th-anniversary-toyline-for-july-2016/

The prophecy... the signs point to a classic themed experience.

Or... anniversary figures, the most common anniversary thing done for any anniversary ever. And more figures will be revealed through out the year along with more merchandise. Another very common practice actually 

Wait and see. There is no prophecy

So again, we have Classic merch and Boom merch. Why no Modern merch?

You have a year, give it a second. 

Edited by Shadowlax

I seriously hope all this Classic focus is only in the merchandise for next year since Retro has always been a popular thing in videogame merchandise, particularly Sonic. No touchey on the games (unless it's awesome hand drawn 2D platformer for 3DS oh yeah never gonna happen)!

• Thumbs Up 5

Or... anniversary figures, the most common anniversary thing done for any anniversary ever. And more figures will be revealed through out the year along with more merchandise. Another very common practice actually 

Wait and see. There is no prophecy

So you're just going to ignore all the stuff Sega have said about 2016 being classic focused? 

2016 is going to be classic centric, watch me be right again.

The statements seem aimed towards gameplay this time rather than aesthetic. Take what you will from that because they'll probably miss the point to that, but I digress.

And since classic stuff is common, especially around anniversaries, I wouldn't put too much thought into it. Though it does make another return of classic Sonic sort of likely.

• Thumbs Up 9

So you're just going to ignore all the stuff Sega have said about 2016 being classic focused? 

2016 is going to be classic centric, watch me be right again.

Yeah, because the last time they said that they made sonic 06

I literally do not trust sega with anything. I believe that oneday the digital copy of Yakuza 5 I have will vanish the because they have somehow magically lost the english sub sony has provided. 

You remember that time they said all that stuff about sonic boom and character, and all we got was a incomplete game, a nothing game, and cartoon where nothing happens and most if not all the character stuff they said over the span of that was lies. I do not trust the sega pr machine. Untill I have footage or have a thing in my hand, no. I do not trust sega, sega has not given me any reason to trust them at this point. Especially in regards to sonic. 

For better or for worse, you all would do better not trusting sega. 

Edit: an another thing if we construct narratives off product, heck shadow was in the sonic boom finale, they just put him in that mobile game... which seems to be the only form of sonic making money on large scale right now, and in that OTHER mobile game.... the other only thing making sonic related money on a large scale that isn't the cartoon, they are about to acknowledged that mephilies, exist. Probably the single most unclassic thing in all of sonic, is about to get acknowledged. I can construct my own narrative based on that on what sonic is going to be next year. But based off nothing, you saw some toys. that's about all you saw. Wait and see 

Edited by Shadowlax

Sega never said Sonic 06 would be classic focused. They said Generations and Sonic 4 would be classic-focused and by golly gee would you look at that?

Discussing the aesthetics of something is not any indication of what the quality of that thing will actually be.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sega never said Sonic 06 would be classic focused. They said Generations and Sonic 4 would be classic-focused and by golly gee would you look at that?

Discussing the aesthetics of something is not any indication of what the quality of that thing will actually be.

I think the bolded is some high level goal post maneuvering , but we can ignore that. 

Also for the aesthetic, if its the classic sonic vibe they have been doing in the past, which is boring and nothing. It kind of is indication.It will be boring  and nothing, and no one will still buy it. Even if its good like generations, which apparently a lot of folks did not purchase. 

But ey, I dunno man we'll see next year wont we

I don't think you know what moving the goalpost actually is.

Sega never said Sonic 06 would be classic focused.

This exchange right isn't moving the goalpost. It's called disagreement.

During 06 development they said some crap about "Sonic's roots" and mentioned a reboot. Those statements however were made about as early into development as it could've ever been, since I think Naka was still there when they said that. I remember reading a really early interview about it in an issue of Gamespot or something.

That doesn't mean they were going back to classic style stuff, "Sonic's roots" was just as much of a buzzword then as it is now. It basically means nothing, lol.

• Thumbs Up 3

Now we all know they never said anything of the sort. 

During 06 development they said some crap about "Sonic's roots" and mentioned a reboot.

See every now and again I ask for a source to this and nobody can provide one.

The closest thing Ive seen people provide is that image and statement which is of sonics head that says "Welcome to the Sonic age".

The back to roots thing I have never seen, certainly not as a huge marketing or even as a clear 'this is the focus for the year' like we're seeing with 2016's year.

I truly and honestly hate this reply system on this site, anyways

During 06 development they said some crap about "Sonic's roots" and mentioned a reboot. Those statements however were made about as early into development as it could've ever been, since I think Naka was still there when they said that. I remember reading a really early interview about it in an issue of Gamespot or something.

That doesn't mean they were going back to classic style stuff, "Sonic's roots" was just as much of a buzzword then as it is now. It basically means nothing, lol.

That is fair.

I'm with Jango on this one, it likely wouldn't be the anniversary game, as I can't see it being big enough in scope. But I would also love to see another anime style 2D classic game along the lines of Sonic CD with some nice sprite work taking advantage of what the can do with sprites these days. Still think Sonic CD's cut scenes are some of the best in the series and especially capture the classic aesthetic to perfection. Wouldn't mind a spiritual successor to Sonic Jam either to release alongside whatever the anniversary game turns out to be.

Classic Sonic merch tho, sign me up. I missed out on a fair few of the 20th anniversary products so having another chance is great news!!

• Thumbs Up 2