Awoo.

The "What the HECK Is A 2016 Sonic" Prophecy Thread (two topics from the pre-server wipe in one!)

azoo

While I don't want a Generations 2 (this soon anyway) in terms of general setup--that is, time traveling to levels and bosses from previous games and all that--I'd welcome Classic Sonic coming back at least. I think it'd be cool to play as him in brand new levels.

Generations was a good game, despite some of its shortcomings and wasted opportunities, but I don't want another one. Sonic Adventure 2 was an anniversary game and it turned out quite good, without rehashing things. Yeah, you may not like it now, but it was successfull back in its days.

Nowadays, I just picture Sega as a man shaking his checkered, badniky, bright colored keys expecting to catch everyone's attention. It's not really my thing. Sonic 3 may be one of my favourite games ever, but please, try new things.

And they'll announce Sonic 1 HD with Lost World engine. And I'll be sad. But, hey, I won't buy it either.

I really don't want Generations 2. It's too soon! I mean sure, have Classic Sonic as an unlockable to play in stages but don't waste Sonic Team's talent on yet another nostalgia game. ><

• Thumbs Up 3

There's also the possibility it's not a Sonic game.

Yes, much as it surprises one they just don't give up on non-Sonic SEGA, they do keep trying.

Why would they announce a Sonic Boom game at TGS? No, why would they announce a new Sonic Boom game so close to the release of Ice and Fire?

It's most likely not a Sonic game.

Sonic Boom already has a title coming out (unless they're going to do a Rise of Lyric/Shattered Crystal approach again) so that is one strike against a Boom title.

A main Sonic game is theoretical, but that doesn't make much sense either since that gives only a few months before release, unless SEGA's going to start releasing games in Spring/Summer again.

It's possible for a 2016 game to be released without it really being that included in the 25th anniversary's plans, if it was early in 2016.

And they'll announce Sonic 1 HD with Lost World engine. And I'll be sad. But, hey, I won't buy it either.

I think it's worth giving SEGA some credit in relation to what that article's actually about:

“We did our best to build a relationship of mutual trust with older fans of Sega, but looking back, there’ve been some titles that have partially betrayed that [trust] in the past 10 years.”

"I believe that if we can’t maintain quality, it would be better to not release anything at all."

Now, there's that are no doubt thinking that the should have learned this years ago or that it's too little too late. Personally, I think it's great to at the very least here them say that and not beating around the bush either. 

Actions speak louder than words of course but, for now, this is a nice thing to hear.

As for the TGS announcement, it could be anything really. Maybe they're showing off Sonic early like 06 in 2005 but it's best to not get too excited just yet.

• Thumbs Up 2

I won't lie though.

Wouldn't it be AWESOME if the way to show off this new commitment to quality over deadlines was to announce a Sonic console title due in November at an event in September?

If a new Sonic game gets announced later this year. It's likely releasing next year. I can't see them announcing it in september only to turn around and release it a few months later. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I won't lie though.

Wouldn't it be AWESOME if the way to show off this new commitment to quality over deadlines was to announce a Sonic console title due in November at an event in September?

Not really. Releasing a game a mere two months after its announcement wouldn't convince me of their commitment to quality over deadlines. Quite the opposite actually.

I think that might do the complete opposite actually. At least, initially. They say they're now committed to quality over deadlines but then announce that their next game is merely two months away. That's going to send alarm bells ringing for a lot of people. 

Now, I'm sure the game would have had at least the usual amount of development time but a move like this is risky.

Having said that though, I wouldn't be against them pulling another SEGA Saturn style announcement and actually succeeding this time. 

Showing off the next game in September would be a nice comfort to fans who are less than pleased about Boom 2 or M&S 2016. It'd be a good way of indicating that something for long-time fans is in the works, they're putting their all into it and we'll hear more next year.

Not really. Releasing a game a mere two months after its announcement wouldn't convince me of their commitment to quality over deadlines. Quite the opposite actually.

Yeah, there's a 1/5th chance this is a Sonic game, and I wouldn't even put hope in it at this point for it to be one.

Of course, the other four-fifths I'm talking about is Atlus stuff, the Football Manager guys, the Aliens guys, and the Miku crew. 

In terms of spinoffs, we ARE overdue for a new All Stars title... but it seems Sumo's largely moved onto bigger companies who I presume are a lot better to work with.

SEGA seems to be where dev teams go to die.

I'll believe Sega when they make a game that I'll actually enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 2

Come to think of it, has Satomi ever chimed in on this sort of thing before?

We're used to the various PR people and developers saying things are going to get better. For somebody who actually holds the power to comment on the issue gives me hope.

No sane developer or PR person would say that SEGA's done a terrible job with management. And while Satomi is placing the blame on other branches, I think it's stealthily a way to admit he's at fault for not running the video game division more closely.

Really, if he can't make some changes to increase the profit margins, I don't know who could, and I'd begin to contemplate why they don't just outsource gaming rights to third parties in perpetuity while maintaining the IP for cash cow purposes.

Well it's good to see that they acknowledged that they've been screwing up. Still I'll believe them about doing well in the futuRe when I see it.

As for the TGS, it would be cool if they revealed a 25th anniversary game, but I'm not holding my breath.

As for the TGS, it would be cool if they revealed a 25th anniversary game, but I'm not holding my breath.

Aaron already confirmed there won't be any 25th anniversary news this year, though.

I don't think that rules out a spinoff title, though, so much as a main one.

I still think it's unlikely though unless they're going to start doing mid-year releases again.

Would Japanese gamers really be interested in Football Manager though?

I wish it could be something Sonic related but like Ogilvie said Aaron already confirmed there won't be a 25th Anniversary announcement this year, so it's probably going to be Aliens or Miku Hatsune.

Would Japanese gamers really be interested in Football Manager though?

lol Sega is probably the no. 1 company for footy sims in Japan. There is that card arcade game that makes them dosh for over 10 years and probably over 20 of those "LETS MAKE A SOCCER TEAM" games.