Awoo.

The "What the HECK Is A 2016 Sonic" Prophecy Thread (two topics from the pre-server wipe in one!)

azoo

Rush 3? Nah, a Chronicles 2 anyday, you know you want it.

In any case, I am kidding. And I don't know why this guy's post would make any difference, untill something is announced we are "waiting and seeing", we always were lol

In case no one caught on, it was Sonic Boom 3DS: Fire & Ice.

In which we change this to the "Sonic 2016 Prophecy Thread".

tumblr_ng4wawgxLN1s2wio8o1_500.gif

Sega be like let's just leave Dimps to do fuck all for 2 years, but ask Sanzaru back for a straight up sequel to a handheld game that was a flop both critically and sales wise. That makes so much sense! *grumble*

• Thumbs Up 3

It's not like people like Dimps much, either. I mean, I do think they'd do much better than Gens 3DS and LW 3DS with a completely standalone Sonic title that doesn't have a console version, but 1) that isn't a guarantee and 2) for some they were never that great anyway.

It's been so long since we've had a stand alone title from Dimps though, and I'd like to see what they could do now after working on so many ports and Sonic 4. D: I wonder if they could do it knowing that most of the team that worked on Advance and Rush is gone now.

• Thumbs Up 1

So I was thinking.

Aaron Webber's been on fire the last few days with his management of the Sonic Twitter and more and more sites are reporting on it. Now, it stands to reason he should eventually run out of steam (though I imagine he'll still be very humorous in what he responds to), since jokes and memes inevitably will run dry.

SEGA Games, Co. Ltd has a meeting room on the E3 floor. Now, since this is a private meeting room, it's either invite-only or press-only.

This in mind... is there a possibility SEGA would drop a hint at their 2016 title at an E3 meeting? With all eyeballs on the Sonic Twitter right now, it would be a genius marketing ploy.

In the past there's been this idea that SEGA can only focus on one or two games at a time, but I don't believe that applies. Consider that Black Knight, Unleashed and Chronicles were all released within a six month span. Each had different developers and different target demographics. Never mind, the gaming public don't have the attention span of a fly and are probably able to distinguish between main games, spinoff games, and Boom.

That in mind, if they revealed a main console title for 2016, it would not interfere with Sanzaru's 3DS spinoff or (presumably) SEGA Sports R&D's Olympics spinoff games later this year.

Would it be an extensive reveal? I'm not sure.

The reveal for Sonic 2006 at E3 2005, however, does give me reason to believe it's not entirely implausible, especially given this is an anniversary title. An anniversary title that would presumably be far more massive than the last two and be on par with Unleashed given the development times.

Gotta edit fast. Well, there's not much proof at this point, with "Sonic II" being fake, kind of depressing...

It's certainly possible. SEGA must have "something" to at least talk about if they've got a private room, even if it's Aaron's Big the Cat game that's been in development for years.

I'm sure everyone would love to find out that they'd shown some sort of tech demo for the next game on PS4/ONE. 

Like I said in the statuses last night, our next two games are a Boom sequel and another Mario & Sonic game. A couple of months ago that would have been unthinkable given current circumstances with both of those series. That said, anything's possible at this point and given that Sonic Team A's development time for this has been far longer than usual they must have something that they can show even if it is behind closed doors.

Gotta edit fast. Well, there's not much proof at this point, with "Sonic II" being fake, kind of depressing...

If you're referring to Rouge's voice actor's comments, I pointed out in that same thread there's some holes in that statement.

Namely, typo or not... how would "Sonic II" get pulled out of thin air by an assistant, unless they were completely incompetent?

Chances are high it's a game with a similar title.

It's certainly possible. SEGA must have "something" to at least talk about if they've got a private room, even if it's Aaron's Big the Cat game that's been in development for years.

I'm sure everyone would love to find out that they'd shown some sort of tech demo for the next game on PS4/ONE. 

Like I said in the statuses last night, our next two games are a Boom sequel and another Mario & Sonic game. A couple of months ago that would have been unthinkable given current circumstances with both of those series. That said, anything's possible at this point and given that Sonic Team A's development time for this has been far longer than usual they must have something that they can show even if it is behind closed doors.

I just pray that if they do show the press things in that room, it's not under embargo for too long.

I doubt it would be, anyway. Showing the press stuff and then saying "don't reveal this until several months from now" doesn't make much sense, especially given this is a room at the most-anticipated gaming news event of the year.

Whelp, Microsoft and Sony have had their E3 presentations. While we may have Shenmue 3 finally there was no news on a new Sonic game from either of them.

Now this only leaves Nintendo who have their presentation for E3 set for tomorrow. So if there is a new main Sonic game for this year, at this stage it looks like its Nintendo or nothing >.<

Whelp, Microsoft and Sony have had their E3 presentations. While we may have Shenmue 3 finally there was no news on a new Sonic game from either of them.

Now this only leaves Nintendo who have their presentation for E3 set for tomorrow. So if there is a new main Sonic game for this year, at this stage it looks like its Nintendo or nothing >.<

Has there ever been a Sonic game that was announced at an E3 presentation?

Indeed, in a private SEGA room. Much like what we have this year.

I doubt they set up the room for nothing. They presumably have news, just not enough games that are playable to merit a full booth.

Sonic 2006 comes to mind...even when I try my hardest to keep it out >.<

Indeed, in a private SEGA room. Much like what we have this year.

While I'm aware that 06 was revealed behind closed doors, what I was getting at is that I don't think Sonic is the type of franchise that would receive a big on-stage reveal from Microsoft or Sony. I could maybe see Nintendo announcing a new game in their direct but even then I feel like that has an incredibly slim chance of actually happening.

I doubt they set up the room for nothing. They presumably have news, just not enough games that are playable to merit a full booth.

This I agree with, however.

Sega didn't have a presence outside the private room at all really. One of the only things that comes to mind is Shenmue 3, but even that is a Kickstarter being organized by Yu Suzuki and backed up by Sony. Part of the money raised is probably to pay Sega the fees required for them to use the IP. They didn't seem to have a hand in any of what transpired.

That and Mario & Sonic and Sonic Boom 3DS. Sega really didn't have anything to show at all. Its kinda sad how their titles released per year have fallen so drastically over the years.

SEGA has plans for a lot if new titles this year. I guess they just weren't ready yet.

If we get anything out of them it's just gonna be announcements.

A lot if their planned titles are Japan only as well.

I think this might actually be the first E3 without Sonic's presence. Kinda sad really (though the two games in question are just spin offs).

I think this might actually be the first E3 without Sonic's presence. Kinda sad really (though the two games in question are just spin offs).

They didn't show Fire and Ice or Rio at the conference?

They didn't show Fire and Ice or Rio at the conference?

Nope. There aren't even any game booths running the demo. Maybe they're waiting until Gamescom but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have anything there either.

Nintendo had trailers for Fire & Ice and Rio during their digital event. You can find them online, on YouTube and such. But no real fanfare for them, and like Gabz said, no demo booths that have been mentioned, and I don't think its part of their Bestbuy campeign of demo units either.

Nintendo had trailers for Fire & Ice and Rio during their digital event. You can find them online, on YouTube and such. But no real fanfare for them, and like Gabz said, no demo booths that have been mentioned, and I don't think its part of their Bestbuy campeign of demo units either.

If we were getting a Team A Sonic Team game, we would've hear about it by now. Team A is likely making a Sonic Team game for 2016, which of course has the pleasant insinuation that they had 5 years to get stuff sorted out. Hopefully.