Awoo.

The "What the HECK Is A 2016 Sonic" Prophecy Thread (two topics from the pre-server wipe in one!)

azoo

Is this announcement going to ring true? Is there hope?

"Ring"...I'm a nerd. lol

Anyway I doubt it's the announcement of a new Sonic game. They generally don't announce Sonic games this late in the year. The only exceptions were Sonic CD Remastered in late December and Sonic Adventure 2 HD in October.

Anyway I doubt it's the announcement of a new Sonic game. They generally don't announce Sonic games this late in the year. The only exceptions were Sonic CD Remastered in late December and Sonic Adventure 2 HD in October.

SA2 HD was released in October; it was announced at Sonic Boom 2012 in July.

Sonic '06 was announced in May 2005 and then properly revealed at the Tokyo Game Show that year, then released in November 2006.

SA2 HD was released in October; it was announced at Sonic Boom 2012 in July.

That was also a port, though.

Sonic '06 was announced in May 2005 and then properly revealed at the Tokyo Game Show that year, then released in November 2006.

It certainly is a remote possibility, but that would mean any title revealed wouldn't be counted towards the 25th anniversary based on Aaron's comments.

That's why I think any theoretical Sonic game will probably be a spinoff. The main title will be reserved for next year's announcements, as that one would certainly be soaking up the 25th anniversary marketing budget.

That was also a port, though.

Sure, but I was just correcting the date because I remember my Sonic Booms fondly. :V

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm sorry but why are people assuming it's probably a sonic game, since when did Japan care for Sonic enough for a game to be announced first there...Showed? Ok makes sense, but announced? Nope.

I would expect something like a new Project Diva game or something. 

I'm sorry but why are people assuming it's probably a sonic game, since when did Japan care for Sonic enough for a game to be announced first there...Showed? Ok makes sense, but announced? Nope.

I would expect something like a new Project Diva game or something.

Yakuza 6 is definitely gonna be there, and maybe Persona 5 too.

I wonder if this 25th Anniversary game will be releasing on the NX as well as the other systemsz I mean both aren't being talked about until 2016 and all. Not saying that's why it's not being talked about till then, but it's an interesting possibility.

I wonder if this 25th Anniversary game will be releasing on the NX as well as the other systemsz I mean both aren't being talked about until 2016 and all. Not saying that's why it's not being talked about till then, but it's an interesting possibility.

I doubt it.  Apparently Nintendo only started talking to third-party partners about NX this E3, so that's way too early for Sega to jump on board with anything they've been developing for years already.  (Not that they're unfamiliar with ordering last-minute console changes, of course, cough cough Rise of Lyric cough cough.)  Even if the next Sonic game is going to be on a Nintendo console, Nintendo will still be officially supporting the Wii U and 3DS until NX beds in, so it wouldn't be surprising to see a Q4 2016 Sonic game on Wii U and 3DS even if NX were already out at that time.

Also, if I'm honest, the idea of a development team finishing work on one anniversary game and then immediately beginning work on the next anniversary game is totally ludicrous.

It wouldn't shock me if it wasn't intended to be an anniversary game at all. Just the next game. Much like Sonic Adventure 2 and Riders were, I mean they didn't really have any "celebration" type antics going on in game.

Not saying that its already finished or anything, but there's the possibility that it may have been slated to be out earlier than 2016. Sega America had just announced their brain fart...I mean child..in Sonic Boom however. So as to not over saturate (which Sega have mentioned before as a new drive) they let Boom have its time to shine and could have pushed the game out to the public early to fill the gap (as the theory goes), in turn this would then given them further time to refine and work on what is now going to be an anniversary game. Thus keeping with Sega's supposed new quality drive they have just announced for all new products.

It wouldn't be the first time Japan has thrown Sega of America under the bus so that their work could benifit. I'm still crossing fingers for an anniversary drive tho, main game and a new bigger and better collection, since it is an important milestone. Plus Sega can't say their Sonic games are on every console known to man anymore what with current systems missing out now :P

• Thumbs Up 1

As far as that public apology, I recall another PR guy, Webber, I believe, also talking about quality during the Lost World days. How the company will commit itself and stuff like that. Now, that part wasn't an apology, though he did mention that the company has screwed up in the past.

PR just being PR, really. Weightless. Considering the events that happened with Lost World to both Booms, I dunno how "nice" I can view it. Know the guys are just doing their job, but I feel like they get their orders from higher ups saying "mention this" which makes it look like lying -- higher ups are lying, I mean.

Of course, I can't say for sure. I never worked in PR.

I'd say it's unlikely that Sonic '16 is coming to Nintendo at all (outside of the obligatory Dimps version), let alone to this NX console which we still don't really know anything about.

Bah...I hope the anniversary game comes to the Wii U. But we've gone, what? Two anniversary games and the best we've got is Generations 3DS. =/

Bah...I hope the anniversary game comes to the Wii U. But we've gone, what? Two anniversary games and the best we've got is Generations 3DS. =/

I hope it comes to all consoles really, I've been burned I've been burned on the whole console exclusivity thing before and wouldn't wish it upon anybody else. Even more than that though I hope it's not Wii U exclusive, or that if it is that it'll at least be playable with a Pro-Controller, or even the Wii Remote and Nunchuck. I cannot stand the game-pad, it's just too damn big!

I just hope the next game is available on PC, mainly because I look forward to seeing what the modding scene creates once they get their hands on it.

Also because having the opportunity to play as a giant penis in Generations was definitely an experience.

• Thumbs Up 4

Given the Wii U's power compared to the Wii, I'm hopeful that they won't elect to leave it out of the anniversary title.

I wouldn't be surprised if they opt to not send it there purely because of the tradition of switching between Nintendo and the other two consoles, though.

PC version is definitely a must. SEGA's talking about how mobile's the future, but PC's where a huge market for actual games is. Steam sales are key to keeping Sonic relevant because of how cheap they make the titles. Nobody wants to pay $50 for a game that's both short and has questionable quality.

Given the Wii U's power compared to the Wii, I'm hopeful that they won't elect to leave it out of the anniversary title.

The problem with this is while the WiiU's power is a step up from the Wii's, it's still almost a generation behind its competitors, so they're right back at square one in that respect. Unless the next title is already getting previous gen ports (or isn't even being made for Xbone/PS4 in the first place), the WiiU's shit out of luck I'm afraid.

• Thumbs Up 1

The problem with this is while the WiiU's power is a step up from the Wii's, it's still almost a generation behind its competitors, so they're right back at square one in that respect. Unless the next title is already getting previous gen ports (or isn't even being made for Xbone/PS4 in the first place), the WiiU's shit out of luck I'm afraid.

I think the real deal clincher won't be the power, but the GamePad though.

For some reason the damned thing mystifies developers to a point they don't care to port games to the Wii U unless they can make active use of it.

I miss the good ole days of buttons and control sticks. Nintendo and SEGA have one thing in common: they innovate for innovation's sake.

I just hope the next game is available on PC, mainly because I look forward to seeing what the modding scene creates once they get their hands on it.

Also because having the opportunity to play as a giant penis in Generations was definitely an experience.

It's not nesccecary, but modding tools would help the modding community make stuff more elaborate than just skins, which would mean high-scale mods like TCs, which then would make gaming websites/magazines cover said TC, which means more exposure and more people buying the game just to be able to play said TC (total conversion).

TL;DR Sonic Team give us mod tools

Edited by NoirSuede

TL;DR Sonic Team give us mod tools

While I agree releasing mod tools for their next game would yield some pretty interesting results, it's not exactly something I expect Sonic Team to do anytime soon, if ever.

Which is a shame, really. Outside of Bethesda and id Software there aren't many developers I can think of that put out modding tools for each game they release. It's a practice that I really wish was more common within the industry.

While I agree releasing mod tools for their next game would yield some pretty interesting results, it's not exactly something I expect Sonic Team to do anytime soon, if ever.

Which is a shame, really. Outside of Bethesda and id Software there aren't many developers I can think of that put out modding tools for each game they release. It's a practice that I really wish was more common within the industry.

Dying Light has official mod tools.

And I REALLY hope that Mario Maker takes off, so that other Japanese devs like Sonic Team can see that people like making custom content and give them tools to do so.

"Spoilers!"

What can I say, we've been on their backs about Generations DLC for long enough!