Awoo.

The "What the HECK Is A 2016 Sonic" Prophecy Thread (two topics from the pre-server wipe in one!)

azoo

Knowing how long it's taking for the next Sonic game to be released, I wouldn't be surprised if we find out that both Team A and Team B from Sonic Team have been working together to make it the best and most ambitious game yet. That's...what I want to believe anyway.

• Thumbs Up 6

Everything about both Runners and Boom F&I gives me a serious "stopgap" or "tide them over" vibe. I don't count Rio as one of them since the Olympics games are guarantees like clockwork regardless, but I digress. 2016 is Sonic's 25th anniversary, and I feel that 25 is a far more illustrious benchmark than 20, personally.

Between the ideas Sonic Team A and B working on something and the impending Sonic film, I'm willing to bet that Sega is biding their time for once and having Sanzaru and whoever else throw something out for 2015 to keep us at bay. It's not working well, but its better than nothing, I think.

Now, that says nothing about when they'll reveal anything...

Only good things can come from them taking a year out. We've been saying for years that they need to start giving Sonic more breathing space. Now that they're actually following through on that, it's only fair that we're patient and let them crack on with it since it's no doubt going to get chaotic next year.

I wouldn't be surprised if Iizuka did mention their next project in that room but it'll likely have been pretty vague PR talk more than anything. 

Given the unusually long development time, perhaps they will reveal it earlier than the usual April/May of the release year but at this point we're no doubt still pretty adrift of any announcement and will be for some time.

• Thumbs Up 1

As long as we get another game next year, I'm fine with this, Mario and Sonic is better than nothing and will likely be pretty fun (tbh don't care about Fire and Ice) As long as we get a 2016 Modern Sonic game, if not I will be very concerned.

Iizuka's been to E3 and just got back. Wonder if he was showing any new games in SEGA's meeting room or just talking to press about M&S and Sonic Boom.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=844593812300018&id=100002482221258

Or he was inspired by the awesomeness of the Project Diva VR demo test that he is immediately thinking of how a Sonic game could incorporate the wondrous power of Virtual Reality!!!

pls iizuka no

Oh God, VR Sonic would be awful. Spindashing and going through loops... If Japanese gamers supposedly suffered more from motion sickness, I'd have to join them afterwords.

Well it looks like an E3 special announcement is out. Any chance of TGS having some sort of teaser?

The fact this year's games are all spinoffs mean that simply teasing a main title won't take too much attention away from the spinoffs. People aren't going to magically pinch their wallets shut for the 2015 titles just because they hear about a 2016 one.

Because of the significance of a 25th anniversary, I wouldn't count it completely out. Though Generations was confirmed the same year it came out, so it could go either way.

Knowing how long it's taking for the next Sonic game to be released, I wouldn't be surprised if we find out that both Team A and Team B from Sonic Team have been working together to make it the best and most ambitious game yet.

Or perhaps they made something so bad they had to outright cancel it and that's why a new game is taking so long :lol:

• Thumbs Up 1

Well it looks like an E3 special announcement is out. Any chance of TGS having some sort of teaser?

The fact this year's games are all spinoffs mean that simply teasing a main title won't take too much attention away from the spinoffs. People aren't going to magically pinch their wallets shut for the 2015 titles just because they hear about a 2016 one.

Because of the significance of a 25th anniversary, I wouldn't count it completely out. Though Generations was confirmed the same year it came out, so it could go either way.

They aren't going to announce it this year. They always wait until April-May and then release it October/November time that same year.

They aren't going to announce it this year. They always wait until April-May and then release it October/November time that same year.

Sonic 06 was announced at E3 '05.

Ergo, while next year's game being announced the year prior is rare, it's not impossible.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic isn't what he used to be back in 2006, which is kinda sad, because he was already a shadow of his former self back then.

But, yeah, a new Sonic game at E3 simply does not carry enough hype to justify itself. They may as well wait till next year, when they have more stuff to actually show.

On the other hand, SEGA does like to throw its weight behind anniversaries. I remember being told that their event budgets, for example, get a nice shot in the arm whenever it happens to be one of those magic years.

Some sort of news isn't out of the question, just unlikely.

Generations wasn't announced until April of 2011, the same year it came out. There's absolutely no reason to assume they would just magically change that for 2016. If there is a 2016 game, its not going to be announced anytime soon. So chill out and enjoy the quality releases of Fire & Ice and Olympic Rio games :V

• Thumbs Up 1

It makes you wonder why they bother trying to glue on gimmicks when people don't respond well to them usually.

The classic games seemed to do it right. They stuck with what people enjoyed but changed up the basic formula just that little bit for each character, and it worked. Sonic runs fast and had moves that made him go even faster, like the figure eight, while keeping the great gameplay. Tails could fly, which was awesome, but had the same gameplay as Sonic otherwise. Knuckles could glide and climb, that was pretty nifty, but again had the same gameplay as Sonic other than that. The same gameplay across the board but with tiny variations that actually end up creating a positive and almost different experience via the alternate paths and unique abilities each character has.

You take away that basic gameplay that people enjoy and it puts them off it seems. They don't want mech driving, or gem hunting, or slow ass fighting sections. They seem to just want the base Sonic gameplay but to be able to choose their favourite characters with their minor differences to the base gameplay which ends up giving them a whole new way to play through the existing game, much like Sonic 3 & Knuckles, which always seems to be banded about as the "best" game, usually alongside Sonic 2 and Sonic CD.

Tho lately I do agree that Sonic Team really should get what they want to do with Sonic down and perfected first then introduce the others back. Which is what they should be doing with all these Sonic only games...but instead they seem intent to keep changing things up and trying new things before they have even had a successful run of games that mirrors the classics in popularity...its...confusing to say the least.

The classics were popular, yes for good reasons, in retrospect it still holds up due to innovation however. The reason Sega keeps trying to "change it up" is because people IN GENERAL (not sonic fans) find the basic gameplay to not be too interesting "just hold foward and jump over stuff" people don't see any meat to the gameplay so "mixing it up" helps do that! I mean look at mario, hes still popular due to concistency but not as much as before...

The classics were popular, yes for good reasons, in retrospect it still holds up due to innovation however. The reason Sega keeps trying to "change it up" is because people IN GENERAL (not sonic fans) find the basic gameplay to not be too interesting "just hold foward and jump over stuff" people don't see any meat to the gameplay so "mixing it up" helps do that! I mean look at mario, hes still popular due to concistency but not as much as before...

If that was the case, Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric should had been a commercial hit, instead of being on record as the worst-selling Sonic game to date. And the Werehog gameplay in Unleashed wouldn't had been critically panned to the point that it never stuck around following that game. And Sonic games -which are notorious for a lack of gameplay consistency- wouldn't keep historically selling less and less with each new release.

I've been starting to see this argument that Sega has to keep changing the gameplay in Sonic games to keep audiences invested for a while now and it still makes no sense whatsoever. Why are people assuming that consumers want a solid established formula to change for the sake of change? This kind of mentality results in games like Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, Paper Mario: Sticker Star, and Dead Space 3 that end up alienating fans of the earlier games (at the end of the day, those people won't care on whether they are good games in their own right-they are still billed as sequels to their predecessors and will be viewed as such), and -if the backlash is severe enough- end up killing off their franchises. There really isn't anything credible in this claim when the majority of examples dictate the opposite effect tends to happen. (And while this really isn't the focus of this post, the gameplay of the Genesis games was far more than "just hold forward and jump over stuff". This is the type of superficial nonsense that results in games like Sonic Rush being considered "classic Sonic" games.)

On the topic of Mario, that series not being as popular as it was in the past can largely be chalked up to the gaming landscape and consumer tastes no longer being as it was in the 80s or even the 90s at the very least; rather than gameplay consistency. And even then, Mario games are still critically acclaimed and they still sell millions. Super Mario 3D World, despite being on the worst-selling Nintendo console to date, has sold over four million copies. The last Sonic game officially confirmed to even meet, let alone surpass, that amount of copies sold was back in 1992 (I keep reading Heroes sold three-five million copies, but the only source for that seems to is VGChartz, whose credibility should be taken with a truckload of salt). And compare both to the sales of Lost World Wii U (which was released a month before 3D World) and the aforementioned Rise of Lyric, which individually failed to even reach 500,000 copies sold.

Edited by Gabe
  • Thumbs Up 5

Oh look SEGA will be at gamescom this year (Picture belongs to SonicWindBlue; found on twitter)

9e1c2c3c10f33c10abb8b01ddfc09069.jpg

This would be Sega's first own Gamescom booth since 2011!

I wonder what they'll show at Gamescon that isn't Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice. It'll probably be just that or Mario & Sonic at the Rio Olympics 2016.

In all honesty, I'm just a bit nervous what the 25th Anniversary will entail for Sonic, because they have nowhere to go but up and not continue pile driving the series even more down beyond the depths of the abyss. I just really hope whatever this game is in 2016 will be not just good or okay, but great or even better, but somehow that in itself will probably be nothing more than a pipe dream...

• Thumbs Up 2

So, silver logo. I know in comics the 25th issue is the "silver issue". I looked up if anniversaries have something similar and the 25th anniversary is usually called the "silver jubilee". 

At this point can we expect something big out of Sonic Team or no? Because I'm pretty curious as to what they're up to now.

So it was "25th Anniversary" after all. However it looks like the celebration cake is Sonic Boom: Fire and Ice-themed. Ew.

I'm kinda hoping whatever it turns out to be, if it is an anniversary game, that they will somehow incorporate elements from across his 25 years into the game in some way.

Like Generations but not like it if you know what I mean. Have elements from across his games that fans can recognize without having to have something so blatant as remade levels.

Like how Lost World had a few callbacks like Classic series Badniks and had the Figure-8/Super Peel Out move for Sonic. I guess I'm talking about something in the vein of Sonic Megamix almost, but as an official game, something that remixes elements from across the hogs history but is entirely new. You could even let the fans choose how they want to play it, have a 3D version on console and a 2D version on handheld, kinda like Generations but not as half assed, maybe use some beautiful HD sprites like Wayforwards Ducktales rather than crappy low poly 3D/2.5D.

Include the other characters people have grown to love, even the old ones, as part of the main story, or even have a level or two they can play in rather than being relegated to cutscenes, or a mode where you can play as them after you finish the main game. Include a few unlockables, or a Mega Collection type museum mode where you could play the old games up to say, just before Adventure (so they don't shoot sales of their HD versions in the foot). I would be sold!

Sonic Adven- *shot*

Jokes aside, the 25th should be something real good, and SEGA should know the significance of the 25th.

They should deliver.

I'm not so sure on the callbacks, but I'd think maybe something like a level featuring a rocket base in which you ride a rocket to get to the next part of the level, but isn't Metal Harbour, is what you're getting at. In which case, I'd be up for that. Unless they went full whack and fully included Sonic travelling to different areas again. And by that I mean Station Square for the Adventure games, Soleanna for 06, one of the hubs from Unleashed, even a 3D realised Southern Island [or whatever the name of the classic games' island is].

I also can't help but feel we might be getting two big releases next year... No basis for that, but it just seems like something the 25th would be good for...

Imagine if it's Sonic Generations 2, but remaking all the stages from the crap games the last few years instead.

So basically, Sonic Boom: Rise of Lost World.

In all seriousness I don't think they'd do another one of those "remake everything" titles; maybe for the 30th, but not for this one.

What's clear is if Sonic Team is making it, it will be glorious given the long dev times. At least... dear God I hope. Otherwise, I'm going to continue praying Sammy severs the video game division and sells it to another company.

Given the company's restructure, I'm still not entirely closed to the idea they'd reveal something about 2016 this year. Tons of other companies reveal stuff 2 years in advance. It really isn't that much of a stretch, especially in the absence of a main title.

• Thumbs Up 1

I made a status a while ago and it said this:

"Essentially, the Sonic series hinges on the success of the 25th anniversary game. If that game's good, the series might get back to being good again. If not... well, the series will probably still go on, but I doubt it will ever recover."

What do you guys think?

Honestly I'm sick and tired of the Classic Sonic nostalgia pandering. Now I don't deny that the classics are great games but you have to understand that I didn't play them growing up, my childhood Sonic games were the Adventure 1, Adventure 2, Heroes, Shadow, Riders, and so on. For me a nostalgic Sonic experience revolves around things like Angel Island, Chaos, Space Colony ARK, G.U.N., Gizoids, or hell, even Babylon Garden and Black Arms. Black eyes, Moto-bugs, and Green Hill expies though? Not so much. Quite frankly all the classic nostalgia in recent games comes off as a little insulting to me, like SEGA is telling me I have bad taste for liking the Adventures.

"Oh, you weren't born it the late 80's or early 90's? Well then fuck you, you don't matter." -SEGA

• Thumbs Up 2