Awoo.

The "What the HECK Is A 2016 Sonic" Prophecy Thread (two topics from the pre-server wipe in one!)

azoo

Well, there are people who never got to play it because they flat out didn't have the systems to run it on.

I'm pretty sure Soniman still hasn't played it.

I agree it shouldn't be $60 at least but I don't think a upgraded port hurts anything.

Colors or Gens? Because ive played both loool. I havent played Gens since when it came out though

Colors or Gens? Because ive played both loool. I havent played Gens since when it came out though

IT was at a friends house right? I recall you saying that.

And I ment Gens, I know you own(ed) a Wii.

Well, there are people who never got to play it because they flat out didn't have the systems to run it on.

I'm pretty sure Soniman still hasn't played it.

I agree it shouldn't be $60 at least but I don't think a upgraded port hurts anything.

Oh I don't think an upgraded port hurts anything either. I think asking me to pay $60 for an upres'd port (not just of Colors, but of any game) is a ripoff no matter how much more it supposedly adds to the experience.

And again, you'd be paying a little less than 3x as much for such an experience on Wii U than if you were to simply settle for the SD version on the Wii. And who the fuck is loaded enough to shrug off paying $300+ for a hypothetical HD Colors on Wii U? It's not even the best Sonic game, of the series or the modern era. Is Oprah a Colors fan or something? ಠ_ಠ

You couldn't just slap Colours on the Wii U with 60fps/1080p and call it an HD edition or new game; it would look like ass.

Colours Planet Wisp, 1920x1080

Usk.png

Generations Planet Wisp, 1920/x1080

558997-sonic-generations-windows-screens

Unless it was just released like a Wii game on the eShop, in which case you have to wonder why SEGA would bother to make an extended port of it. And then it's stranger still how Generations would fit into the picture as a single title.

I think the Generations version actually looks worse.

At least the Wii version is hiding this bad grass texture

IT was at a friends house right? I recall you saying that.

And I ment Gens, I know you own(ed) a Wii.

You are correct and that was indeed the last time I played it, hence why I would welcome it comming to Wii U

I think the Generations version actually looks worse.

At least the Wii version is hiding this bad grass texture

solkia why

Okay slightly more accurate comparison, but not 1080 because my setup doesn't support it.

17940068992_776d30f8f9_o.jpg

And the Wii pic again, for reference:

Usk.png

Colours Wii was definitely a good looking game for the system, but the Wii was excessively behind the times even in 2010 when Colours was new. A upgraded port looking like that simply wouldn't cut it.

the grass genuinely looks better on the wii

ideally were this rumour true they'd mesh both

Yeah I'm not seeing how Generations was an upgrade.

In fact it almost looks like they used the exact same textures.

• Thumbs Up 2

It doesn't look like the same textures. The ones in Colors look more natural and less stretched, with dirt patches and things. Gens look like someone spilled green metallic paint all over the place and tried to cover it up with paper flowers. Trees look better, at least.

While we're on the topic, I found Generation's version of Planet Wisp to actually hurt my eyes because there was so much shit going on with the bright color pallette and whatnot ._. It doesn't help that I have piss poor eyesight, but playing through the grassy parts of that level on Gens was more of a chore than anything else in the game for me because of aesthetics alone.

I'm actually surprised by these comments. Generations Planet Wisp is definitely a lot more saturated I'll give you that, and the game in general suffers from lot of blurry textures. But it's lot like you have to venture far beyond that 5 second opener to see something much, much better. I'm gonna guess they settled for mediocre on those opening texture because they were trying (and failing) to hide it with flowers/grass. Generations completely outshines Colours in terms of graphics, and again a game like Colours would really look poor if it didn't receive a significant sprucing up for an HD release. 

I'd have to play through the entire level to have a complete opinion on it. Don't think Sonic Colors would run on my PC

I think I'll try that right now.

Well that didn't work, ISOs are so hard to find now.

Edited by Alpha Solkia

Well, such a boost this thread has recieved over a rumour, and I'm going to say I'm not sure what to make of it. I've played Colours, didn't think much of it. I already own Generations on every format it's been released on so I don't even know what I'd do if it got another release.

Sonic Digital 25 or whatever it was called, I say I can't imagine SEGA would ever go digital only release on something they want to be big. The idea of Sonic going through other SEGA IP levels? That's about as nostalgia pandering as you can get. And is something I wouldn't want outside of DLC. And first, how about releasing games for those IP SEGA? I'm sure a load of people would love that.

As for Planet Wisp Colours vs Gens... The grass effect is nicer in Colours, but that's only because it's actually grass and not a flat texture. The rest of Gens' Planet Wisp is fine.

Sonic Digital 25 or whatever it was called, I say I can't imagine SEGA would ever go digital only release on something they want to be big.

The grass probably looks better on Wii because you run past it in 10 seconds and then the rest of the stage is Eggman's base and that lovely grassy opening has long been removed from what the game is rendering.  Meanwhile the grass textures, models and sprites in Generations look "worse" because they are designed to cover much larger expanses of land and be present for a large portion of the game.  The Wii grass is literally just there to make a nice first impression.

The reality of it is they both look fine in the actual gameplay so yeah.

Well you're forgetting that Planet Wisp is by far the biggest pile of shit in Sonic Generations.

What is so bad about the Gens version? I've heard this, but never heard why. Also I was really disappointed when Planet Wisp in Colors only had that small grassy area when the original artwork made it look so expansive and lush. The Gens vrsion seems closer to that.

I was really hoping that artwork hinted that it'd be more of an open-world game with you exploring a gorgeous alien world. :(

Sonic_Generations_@_Planet_Wisp_Orange_R

This little shit.

Unlike that Spike Wisp, it was so well used

Unlike that Spike Wisp, it was so well used

Is it possible to ban users for posts like these :V

• Thumbs Up 2

All I can say about this rumor is:

The only nostalgia I want is Sonic fucking 3.

So please, Sonic Team and SEGA, let Taxman and Stealth do it, while you actually create something NEW that years later maybe actually turn nostalgic. Because, honestly, I'm kinda getting nostalgic of the nostalgia already.

And this is not very good guys...

Sega's 25th anniversary game and not Sonics? Prey tell, besides Sonic himself, what about Sega as a whole is having a 25th? Their 25th as a gaming company was quite a while ago now. That statement strikes me as odd.

• Thumbs Up 1

So, read the rumor. Thought it over. At first was like "Nostalgia pandering, shitty story, Sonic, Eggman, and Tails only. Weeeeeeeee."

And that may come true.

I do like how Eggman captures both Sonic and Tails. That's cool. They could play it up where Eggman says that Sonic can beat the game for his freedom, but it won't be easy. I mean, what's the point of a game if there's no way to win or lose?

As for nostalgia pandering, everyone knows i hate it. Thing is? I have no nostalgia attached to most of SEGA's deadass IPs anyway. So, it'd be "like new" for me.

However, I expect it to reflect Colors and Generations to a large degree topped with Pontac and Graff writing, so I expect to hate it and hate it dearly.

But it also may not be true. Which is highly likely.

However, I do find it rather convenient that Archie comics are bringing in SEGA's cast for a crossover (as well as Capcom's).

I don't buy the rumor. Why would SEGA celebrate other SEGA properties for Sonic's 25th anniversary? Makes no sense to me. I'm guessing this "leaker" saw the Runners name and chose to run with it.

If it is real, though, I don't like it. I already would have preferred new areas in Sonic Generations back then, but I got over it and enjoyed the game, but them doing it again would be annoying. Have a little faith in doing new things with the world instead of constantly retreading old things. And if we do go to the past again, they should be Sonic worlds. Generations was missing plenty of classic places in the franchise, so why go to other series?

Yeah I'm calling bullshit on this rumor. As cool as it would be see sonic blast through the world's of Nights or Jet Set Radio, this is HIS anniversary, not Sega as a whole.

But then again this guy was right about runners.