Awoo.

StarFox Zero (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

Okay so the run down:

- New good looking environments that aren't just super rehash 64
- They went full on Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker on us and made Slippy the star of super shenanigans
- then they're giving it you free if you buy the physical copy of Zero
- cool shit about portals
- the story is about Andross and General Pepper's backstories and James' relations between them

My spirit is revived. Bring me the GAME.

• Thumbs Up 3

6 hours ago, Marcello said:

The game still looks slow and empty to me. On top of that, it turns out the motion control can't be entirely disabled, so I won't be buying this.

The graphics looked better than last time and Fortuna looked pretty cool, though.

Did you ever think they may be refferring to Gyrowing sectionsn which implicity need motion controls, rather than the arwing.

And it looks awesome and full of life to me, then again it's an on rails shooter for a good chunk, there's always going to be a balance between enemy count and flow, but there's a ton of enemies compared to E3

I don't see this game doing to well. Not that I think it will be bad, it's just motion controls are almost always an automatic turn off to most people as just a gimmick. So a lot of people wouldn't but it. Could be wrong though.

13 hours ago, Azoo said:

- the story is about Andross and General Pepper's backstories and James' relations between them

Where did you hear that from?

While I'll still play the game, It's disheartening to hear they've retracted their "gyro is all optional!" statement. If it's just the Gyrowing segments, I guess that isn't so  bad... but we still don't really know if those are the only mandated controls. My problem with it isn't really the motion controls itself either, but the fact that I have to look at everything on the gamepad's tiny screen while using them, or keep my attention on both screens hoping I won't get lost. I wanna see the game, not multitask and perform for a theoretical audience meant to watch for me. Guess I could learn how to aim while not watching the gamepad itself.... but I wonder how that'd work.

Overall I'm still concerned. The game looks fantastic with a style I absolutely adore... but watching gameXplain's preview, it sounds like the gameplay's learning curve is pretty rough. The guy had some fun... but needed a LOT longer to get the hang of it. I think if that's happening, then there's potential SF0 will strike gold for some but stay unplayable and infuriating to others. For a game that's supposed to make or break the SF franchise as a whole... this is a pretty hefty risk for Nintendo to make.

Also your teammate's voices are stuck to the gamepad's tin can speakers, and there's no way to change it. That's... a really awkward choice to make. :x

1 hour ago, nintega137 said:

I don't see this game doing to well. Not that I think it will be bad, it's just motion controls are almost always an automatic turn off to most people as just a gimmick. So a lot of people wouldn't but it. Could be wrong though.

Where did you hear that from?

Well it did come up briefly in the the Completionist interview:

Eh, I'm fine with gyro controls. Perhaps not the optimal way to handle aiming independently from movement controls, but it worked great in Splatoon, and I like how you can use Metroid Prime-esque lock-on while still aiming independently or simply keep aiming while using the behind-the-back view if you're worried about crashing into things. The devs must've figured out that anything else was just too impractical for the design they were going for, and God knows they'd be right - twin-stick aiming would be a nightmare with this thing, and the old style of aiming probably wouldn't work for how they designed the game.

I'm fine with gyro controls... but I am miffed by the pro controller not being supported in general. It really annoys me how Nintendo can create one of my favorite controllers to use and have it be a secondary peripheral. Plus, my gamepad doesn't see a whole lot of use due to its irreplaceability; I can't just go out and buy another one whenever I want, so I tend to use it only when I absolutely have to.

I wish the pro controller had gryo much like the DS4 does. If it had that, it'd be the best controller of this gen imo

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm in full agreement there, I've yet to find a recent controller that's more comfortable than the Pro. It's a damn shame that a lot of games either don't support it, or make it so it's actually detrimental to use in comparison to the GamePad. Well, it'll always be a Smash controller at least...

Y'know, thinking about it, the concept of this game isn't bad at all. In fact it's downright brilliant considering the genre.

Whenever I've played a first-person on-rails shooter, while I'm definitely having fun with what's on screen, I can't help but get a nagging feeling of "what if something's sneaking up on me outside of my vision?" or "why do I have to keep looking this way when there's clearly something coming up to the left?"

Now obviously they keep the first-person screen locked in a certain place because you'd otherwise be lost if a massive hoard of enemies just blindsides you while you were looking the wrong way, but it just feels so restrictive, and makes it all the more a shooting-gallery game. With the option to look at a second screen, though, you can direct your attention to anywhere the wide-screened, but "inaccurate" view could reveal to you, making it a lot more open ended, and as a result, (I'm predicting) a lot more fun to play through.

It's just a shame it's being used for Star Fox, tbh. Not only because the more fast-paced, "bigger picture" gameplay presumably will mostly happen on the TV, but also because an idea like this would really work well with a more grounded atmosphere where you actually feel the need to look around. Not to mention Star Fox gameplay, or any other aircraft gameplay for that matter, always has you looking, and moving, forwards. All-range mode I can see being quite different, (though I have concerns on how that'll be even manageable overall tbh) but for an idea so versatile... why Star Fox? 

I don't know how the game will turn out, but I hope it has at least a small bit of semblance to a solid idea in action, one that can be firmly grasped when playing it, and one that is fully realized to it's full potential.

As for the gyro controls being mandantory... personally, all I can say is: Eh? *shrug* Options are always fine, but what'd you expect for a game with this crazy of gameplay? That twin-sticks controls would really be all that better, or that the pro-remote could even work when it doesn't have a screen?

Sometimes I understand disdain for motion controls. When they don't feel just right, or they have you move aaall around for stuff you'd be more comfortable doing on the couch with buttons, like in Sonic Free Riders, or the recognition of them is just too buggy and wonky, like in Skyward Sword. While I'm pretty sure the latter will definitely not be happening with SFZ considering what they've done with Splatoon already, the former... I'm willing to bet that quite a few people will have issues with it, but only because they haven't ever changed the sensitivity to their preferences.

May sound like a "You're the problem, not the game!" kind of argument, but in a lot of cases it really works, I've found. Splatoon for me in the beginning? Motion controls were weird, and I felt I had to move my whole body all over the place for something as simple as aiming. Now? Adjusted the sensitivity to the point where I barely have to move my arms to turn, but not to the point where my every single twitch will send my bullets in the wrong direction. Couldn't imagine dual-stick control being half as good as it, nor do I feel any side effects from it.

So while I definitely see this being a problem for those who just can't get into the concept of motion controls and are dual sticks all the way, for others, considering there are controls options for the motion controls... I wouldn't write this game off entirely just because of this, personally.

Confirmation on some details including Off-TV Play and Pro Controller support

- Genre: 2 screen 3D Shooting;
- Players: 1 to 2. Playable in co-op, with one player using a Wii Remote or Wii Pro Controller to control the aircraft (Airwing, Landmaster, etc.), and the other using the GamePad to aim and shoot at the enemies;
- Save data: 1 file for all users, requires 1.5MB of free space;
- Sound: Surround (Linear PCM);
- Controllers: Wii U GamePad (not compatible with Off-TV), Wii Remote (Plus) + Nunchuk, Wii U Pro Controller. When playing in co-op, Player 1 must use the Wii U GamePad;
- Miiverse: Yes, post messages.
- characters include: General Pepper, Andross, Falco Lombardi, Slippy Toad, Fox McCloud, Peppy Hare, Star Wolf (Wolf O’Donnell, Leon Powalski, Pigma Dengar, Andrew Oikonny) and more
- piloted vehicles include: Arwing, Walker, Landmaster, Gravmaster, Gyrowing
- Falco amiibo will unlock something, but details on what remain a secret
- version in Japan include:

Star Fox Zero stand-alone (retail / Nintendo eShop): 6 156 Yen
Star Fox Zero + Star Fox Guard (retail): 7 020 Yen
Star Fox Guard stand-alone (Nintendo eShop): 1 620 Yen

I think that's going a bit far, if what they showed off is any indication this is the most Star Fox-y Star Fox game released since 64, gyro aiming notwithstanding. Alternating paths, no on foot bull crap, and serious recommitment to the Saturday Morning Serial approach.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/4/2016 at 3:02 PM, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

Did you ever think they may be refferring to Gyrowing sectionsn which implicity need motion controls, rather than the arwing.

And it looks awesome and full of life to me, then again it's an on rails shooter for a good chunk, there's always going to be a balance between enemy count and flow, but there's a ton of enemies compared to E3

If you ould follow the link I posted, you'd see this:

Hi guys, so Nintendo of America corrected an error in our Star Fox Zero preview that went up today.

Here's their statement: "Motion controls cannot be entirely disabled in Star Fox Zero, although players will have some options to choose how they are implemented. The game was designed to be played with motion controls, and it would be incredibly difficult to complete certain areas of the game without the independent aiming and flight that they offer."

Clearly not talking about the Gyrowing. Though thanks for remind me about that. That's another thing I don't like about this game =P.

5 hours ago, Conando said:

I think that's going a bit far, if what they showed off is any indication this is the most Star Fox-y Star Fox game released since 64, gyro aiming notwithstanding. Alternating paths, no on foot bull crap, and serious recommitment to the Saturday Morning Serial approach.

But there are on foot parts. Did you forget the Chicken Walker? Unless we're not counting it because it's walking in a robot.

Not that I mind the Chicken Walker.

Of course I'd say don't count walker mode. It's not like Assault where the game tried, and failed, to be a tps too. Walker is a more mobile landmaster. Though maybe it's my bias of playing Star Fox 2.

• Thumbs Up 2

I miss the on foot sections from assault to be honest, it was probably the most fun part of the game (especially in multiplayer) and if possible it'd be cool if they could bring it back in some way. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Ya know what's probably my favorite returning aspect of this game, besides the voice actors?

The "PWOOOOOOOOOOOO!" sound effect whenever a boss explodes. Never thought I'd hear that again.

• Thumbs Up 2

New Time interview!

http://gonintendo.com/stories/253971-starfox-zero-miyamoto-on-bringing-in-new-players-difficulty-an?page=1#comment-58326

StarFox Zero - Miyamoto on bringing in new players, difficulty and tweaking controls

13 March, 2016 by rawmeatcowboy | Comments: 19

starfox-zero-1.jpg

The following comes from a TIME interview with Shigeru Miyamoto...

On reaching new players:

We recognize that there are probably going to be younger kids who are playing a Star Fox game for the first time with Star Fox Zero, and maybe this will be their first action game. So we feel we’ve designed the game in a way that it will be welcoming to those new users and help introduce them to this style of action genre.

At the same time, we also feel the game is going to be a lot of fun for people to play in the living room with other people in the household. In particular with the cooperative mode, and also with the very simple shooting style of gameplay that’s in Star Fox Guard, we think it’ll be a great way to introduce people who maybe aren’t as good at this action style of gameplay to the fun of the Star Fox universe.

On difficulty:

One thing that I think is a misunderstanding, is that I’m not very supportive of simply making a game easy so that people who don’t play games can play the game themselves. Obviously part of the fun of taking on a challenge is that the challenge has to be a hurdle that you overcome. Simply lowering the hurdle doesn’t necessarily mean that the challenge will be fun. What’s fun is you mastering the skill and having that sense of accomplishment—of achieving something that’s difficult.

So I think that action games like this have to have a certain level of difficulty to achieve that satisfaction. And particularly with Star Fox Zero, if you try to complete this game, I think you’re going to find it to be quite challenging. But it’s because of that, that we have things like Star Fox Guard and the cooperative mode in this game. What those do, is allow people who maybe can’t deal with that level of challenge or difficulty to easily be a part of the gameplay and enjoy this universe.

And then beyond those modes, we have additional ones for people who like the game but find it too hard to get past certain levels. So for instance there’ll be a way for them to get an invincible Arwing, so that they can fly through and see the levels. But at the same time, we’re also preparing modes for Star Fox fans looking for an even harder challenge, such as a ship that does more damage, but which also takes more damage.

On reworking the controls:

We realized that for players who were seeing it for the first time, we needed to come up with additional ways to make it easier for them to understand,” says Miyamoto of the unusual ways Star Fox Zero makes use of both your TV and the Wii U GamePad’s 6-inch screen when you’re operating the game’s vehicles. “So that was an area where we put in a lot of effort. For instance, since you have many different vehicles, and because the gameplay differs where each of those vehicles appear, people may have different control expectations. So we worked very hard to try to find the right balance on each of the vehicles. Those are some of the things that have changed.

Additionally we looked at how we were sharing information with the player in the form of things like icons on the screen. And we also worked on the response of each of the vehicles, because certainly you have expert players and they need the right kind of response. But then you have newer players, and if the controls are too responsive, it becomes difficult for them to play. So we spent a lot of time identifying the right balance in control responsiveness for each of the vehicles.

Another thing that’s really important in the game is something that we’re calling target mode. You’ll see target mode in the All Range battle stages. Typically in All Range, you’re able to fly with the camera behind the ship and you can fly wherever you want. And with target mode, the camera will pull out and lock onto a viewpoint that’s the main objective within the All Range mode. And then what you’re able to do is fly the ship in this style where you’ve got these really cool visuals up on the big screen TV, and you’re flying in target mode focused in on your objective, but you’re doing all of your aiming and shooting through the cockpit mode on the gamepad.

You’ll also use the target mode in the dogfights against Star Wolf’s team, where you’re able to put the camera on a particular enemy in the dogfight, then use a combination of the camera following that enemy as you’re flying at each other, or the camera focused on that enemy as it’s following behind you. And you’re able to use things like u-turns and somersaults to create some really cool visuals on the TV while doing all of the fighting through the gamepad screen. I think this is going to make for some really fun battle scenes in the game.

The other thing we’ve done, is if you press the minus button, you can flip the view from the TV to gamepad and vice versa. So after you’ve played through the game and mastered the techniques, you can play in that cockpit view locked to the big screen TV. And that gives you an even deeper sense of realism.

So additional unlockable vehicles confirmed(An easy invincible Arwing, and a Super Arwing(more damage, less health), I wonder if the harder Arwing will be based off the Interceptor or Defender style arwings from Starfox 2... or even be a Wolfen! Heck, would love for the Wolfen(and Kat's ship) to be unlockables, that'd add so much replayability.

EDIT: just realized he referred to it as a hard ship, not an arwing, so he could mean a wolfen!

Don't know if this was posted, but GameXplain uploaded a video showing more Fortuna gameplay:

So far I think this is my new favorite gameplay video. It makes me more excited for the game than I've been in a long while. While I would've liked to see the original timeline continue, this game looks like it'll provide what I've wanted out of the series for years: Star Fox 64 gameplay and visuals with brand new levels and enemies. I think this video does an excellent job of showcasing that; there's just enough nostalgia in the all of the various sound effects and dialogue, yet it's all presented in a whole new light. I also love how there's much more verticality to everything as well as more references to the SNES game as a whole. It's like a glorious marriage of all things classic Star Fox.

Bring on April 22nd.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Rocket Prince CC14 said:

Official Site has updated with the full English intro. Gotta say, really liking Fox being the one giving the backstory instead of generic dude again from SF64. Definitely comes off more personal and a lot less "Here's the schpiel so you'll understand what these space critters are yapping about."

While I liked the old narrator's voice, I agree that it gives the backstory a nice personal touch and even makes the events somehow seem a tad clearer. It also shows just how good Mike West still is at voicing Fox after all these years (despite sounding a little weird in Smash Bros.).

Perhaps the biggest revelation I've gathered from the intro, though, is that the spinning red Arwing is supposed to be James' damaged ship floating though space. When I first saw it in SF64, I always thought it was just there as a neat visual effect. Can't believe I just now noticed that.

The biggest thing I notice from the intro is that Andross finally isn't just a floating head /w hands past the banishment scene. Thank goodness, and I hope it carries over to the final boss; those types of bosses always seem like such a relic of the past to me. It may be the definitive version of Andross for some, but personally I'd hate to see Andross suffer from the design for the rest of his life as the "main" Star Fox villain.

His overall design is pretty awesome, as well.

maxresdefault.jpg

AndrossIsBack.jpg

Also yeah, the intro actually being narrated by Fox is a nice touch. Sorta strays from the "Star Wars" feel the original had, but I can live without it if it's more personal and story-relevant past the first watch.