Awoo.

StarFox Zero (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

To be fair, a lot of that was on Nintendo's part for Adventures. Miyamoto probably wanted Fox to be the main star since Fox is the star of the Star Fox series. Because of that, and because Fox would need to use the Staff (due to Krystal originally being the main character), Krystal forcibly got pushed into a damsel role, even though she was originally supposed to be the star of the game. I'd blame that on Miyamoto if anyone.

...not that Miyamoto is BAD, as he's got a lot of good ideas. But some of his ideas are awful. Like the obnoxious blowing mechanic from Donkey Kong Country Returns that almost EVERYONE hated. That was HIS idea.

...wow, its been weeks since that post was made. Dang. Granted, there wasn't a lot of information about the game since E3.

There's all sorts of hearsay over what exactly transpired over the transition from Dinosaur Planet to Adventures, really, and whether the transition was triggered by a mandate or a mere suggestion. But Krystal could've easily worked as a co-star like in the original game - keep in mind that there were two playable characters, Sabre and Krystal, and the former was replaced by Fox. Rare could've easily maintained Krystal's status as a co-star without any problems, and the game would've been most certainly better for it, but they didn't, and I doubt Krystal being sidelined was a mandate from Nintendo, either.

I still think most of the blame for the game's questionable design and narrative decisions lie with Rare rather than Nintendo. There is a lot of things they really did not need to change.

Edited by Candescence
  • Thumbs Up 1

Nothing new but from the sounds of it Nintendo brought back the sound team from Wonderful 101.

Thanks for that, Bald; now this is all I can hear during the fight with the core:

Edited by Captain Candle
  • Thumbs Up 1

Was that blowing mechanic on the wii version of the game? I played the 3ds version. 

They removed blowing in the 3DS version?

There's all sorts of hearsay over what exactly transpired over the transition from Dinosaur Planet to Adventures, really, and whether the transition was triggered by a mandate or a mere suggestion. But Krystal could've easily worked as a co-star like in the original game - keep in mind that there were two playable characters, Sabre and Krystal, and the former was replaced by Fox. Rare could've easily maintained Krystal's status as a co-star without any problems, and the game would've been most certainly better for it, but they didn't, and I doubt Krystal being sidelined was a mandate from Nintendo, either.

I still think most of the blame for the game's questionable design and narrative decisions lie with Rare rather than Nintendo. There is a lot of things they really did not need to change.

I doubt Krystal being sidelined was Rare, honestly. In the past two games you only played as Fox in the main storyline. I'd not be shocked at all if they didn't feel like Fox should share the spotlight with another character, especially a brand new one. Krystal would've HAD to be sidelined in some way. Fox was definitely promoted to the main character, which already eliminates Krystal's importance because she was supposed to be the main character (although Sabre was planned to be also playable, of course).

And considering how much they had to remove in that game, they likely couldn't make both playable anyway even if they weren't forced to sideline Krystal (or they sidelined Krystal themselves). They couldn't even finish the General Scales boss fight.

From what I understand they sidelined all that content due to the move to Gamecube, then the rush to finish the game during the Microsoft buyout, and that Krystal was sidelined prior to the fox add in, during the earlier cuts.

But this really isn't the place to talk about bygones

They removed blowing in the 3DS version?

I don't even know what that is, and as far as I can remember I never had anything like that though if it's what I think it is. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeahhhh Miyamoto is an amazing guy, but sometimes when he butts into projects that aren't really his things can go...awry. I will never forgive him for what he did to Paper Mario Sticker Star. .__.

• Thumbs Up 3

Thanks for that, Bald; now this is all I can hear during the fight with the core:

Then my work here is done

@Gabz Girl, I just wish we could all collectively forget Sticker Star.

Edited by Balding Spider

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, you know how they're going for a different artstyle, well we got high rez pics of Team Fox, and it looks awesome! well cept for the scouters are overdone since that's what their headgear is already for

http://nintendoeverything.com/star-fox-zero-character-art/?pid=87296

star-fox (1)

star-fox-5

star-fox-4star-fox-3star-fox-2

I find it funny that they culled back the fur level previously because they said it didn't work and fans didn't like it, but now it looks awesome

• Thumbs Up 3

Huh, that's kinda funny.  Fox, Falco, and Slippy all have blasters, but Fox and Falco are the only ones with a second device, presumably a reflector.

Thanks Smash Bros!

I dunno. Fox still looks too weird in his design. Like, I don't mind him looking furry, but if that's the case I'd rather they go with the Adventure Fox style for him.

Everyone else is on point, tho.

• Thumbs Up 2

Geometrically, they all look great, but like... the textures just look odd.  Almost as bad as that Yogi Bear movie to me.  I don't like it.  I mean, at least it's not too far of a deviation, but I would have preferred something a little more like.... I don't know.  Super Smash Bros. Melee is the closest thing I can think of.

Edited by Tara
  • Thumbs Up 3

I think the models are some of the best they've made in a while... if it wasn't for Fox's fur texture. It's so unnecessarily detailed that he looks more like a terrier of some kind more than a fox. Maybe it's because they're trying to go for a muppet look (much like SNES/N64's puppet/posable statue look) that his fur looks like it was sewn on but... it's a little overwhelming for me. If they toned down the fur texture just a little bit on his face alone, then it'd fix a lot of my nitpicking.

But hey I guess it's better than the Brawl/Command Fox, where he looked like a Chihuahua with a giant forehead. :V

Otherwise Falco and Peppy look pretty good, despite the extreme feather/fur details. Slippy looks awesome too;  I don't think I have any qualms about his look there.

• 3 weeks later...

The box art is really cool!  Gives me a lot of 64 vibes and is getting me nostalgic because I really want another "proper" StarFox game for the first time in too long.

I like the box art except I just can't get over the aesthetic they decided to go with for Fox's hair. It just screams uncanny valley to me. It's probably due to the close up Fox has over the others that makes it more noticeable, bleh.

Edited by Goldenlink64

I like the box art except I just can't get over the aesthetic they decided to go with for Fox's hair. It just screams uncanny valley to me. It's probably due to the close up Fox has over the others that makes it more noticeable, bleh.

For better or worse, it's puppet style... does make me wonder if they'll bring back the Nuppets for the ads, or for the release direct

Nah, the textures for the models are uncomfortably realistic.  Their actual geometry and poses, though, are really nice to me.

Edited by Tara
  • Thumbs Up 1

You were all wrong, Zero isn't a 64 Reboot/Remake, it's really a Star Fox 2 one

now if only they will bring in Miyu and Fay...

Though Kat's been confirmed for the game though

You were all wrong, Zero isn't a 64 Reboot/Remake, it's really a Star Fox 2 one.

Okay, now I just want to laugh...which I'll die of if Miyu and Fay end up in this game. :lol:

EDIT - Time out, has this actually been confirmed? A video isn't exactly proof enough. And where was it confirmed Katt is in?

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Okay, now I just want to laugh...which I'll die of if Miyu and Fay end up in this game. :lol:

EDIT - Time out, has this actually been confirmed? A video isn't exactly proof enough. And where was it confirmed Katt is in?

Mando wasn't serious, the video is just pointing out that the walker is taken straight out of Star Fox 2.

Katt, however, is in the game. She appears in the Zoness stage that was seen at E3.

Here she appears: https://youtu.be/k8ooyoMrstE?t=8m29s

• 3 weeks later...

And in case anyone doubts that link (I for one never heard of that official Nintendo Facebook account), here's Nintendo of America's tweet about it: https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/644723021249388544

I'm actually glad for the delay. A lot of people didn't like the look of it and it really needed more time to polish it up. Now Smash DLC, Super Mario Maker, and Xenoblade Chronicles will have to hold us out through the holidays lol. Maybe they can release some Super Mario Maker updates to expand the game even more.