Awoo.

StarFox Zero (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

10300891_585961204879255_252430468408782

So I played Corneria while I was at E3.

After waiting in a godawful line for an hour.

It was... okay? I think I was bogged down by getting used to the controls. The main thing I had to wrap my head around was using the GamePad view to more accurately hit targets. This creates a fun game of coordination, because while you can shoot in a lot of directions, your ship continues to move forward as you move the GamePad around. You thus have split seconds to get a shot in to avoid hitting anything.

I'll probably get the game just because my furry status demands it. Hopefully I can warm up to the characters.

11536140_585999491542093_650624345106214

But hey, I got this as thanks for the wait and playing!

• Thumbs Up 1

It might work out better for you in the full version since you can use a more traditional control method. Though I haven't touched it myself, I don't really understand the having to look at the screen to aim, though. Doesn't the targeting reticule move on the big screen too?

I'm kind of hoping that it's not a complete reboot of the series, because I just want the StarFox story to go forward.  Though I'm all for forgetting that everything in Adventures, Assault, and Command ever happened.

Wouldn't forgetting those three games just make it a complete reboot anyway?

• Thumbs Up 1

As much as I like Adventures, it really is obvious that the game wasn't intended to be a Star Fox game.

If Star Fox Zero does well, I wouldn't mind a reimagining of Adventures that is more clearly connected to the series. Pipe dream, I know, but still...

It might work out better for you in the full version since you can use a more traditional control method. Though I haven't touched it myself, I don't really understand the having to look at the screen to aim, though. Doesn't the targeting reticule move on the big screen too?

Not from what I could see. I spent minutes shooting at a boss because there was a very slim chance my gun would auto-lock on to targets.

I beat the boss in seconds when I realized I could use the GamePad to target things accurately.

Wouldn't forgetting those three games just make it a complete reboot anyway?

Well, I mean, mostly.  But you'd still have 64 to go off.  Granted, there wasn't exactly a huge deal established, but making a sequel to that game dispels the need to re-introduce Andross, James McCloud, and the like, which essentially allows the story to go virtually anywhere.

Well, I mean, mostly.  But you'd still have 64 to go off.  Granted, there wasn't exactly a huge deal established, but making a sequel to that game dispels the need to re-introduce Andross, James McCloud, and the like, which essentially allows the story to go virtually anywhere.

But given how vaguely you put it earlier, going virtually anywhere doesn't exactly put things an a great light for some who liked specific things of those three games. I'd wouldn't care if, say Sauria from Dinosaur Planet, came back into the franchise or was completely forgotten about, but do like Krystal and her Staff weapon from that game and wouldn't want her at risk of being forgotten entirely.

I may not like some things from those three games myself, and granted it's not really in my hands to decide, but I'd much rather they try reworking those things more as a first option and forgetting them as a last resort if they're going for a reboot.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm fine with Krystal not returning. She wasn't anything special. If Star Fox does get a female member, I hope it's an animal not currently used.

I want Krystal to return. Just minus what I know of her derailemnt in Command, of course.

If StarFox does get a female member, chances are it'll be Krystal or someone from the other titles like Katt, Fara Pheonix, Faye, or Miyu than anyone new. And although I'm doubting Krystal will appear myself, but there's no telling if she'll stay gone. I'm hoping she comes back if at all possible tho, without the terrible stuff I've heard of her from Command.

• Thumbs Up 1

But given how vaguely you put it earlier, going virtually anywhere doesn't exactly put things an a great light for some who liked specific things of those three games. I'd wouldn't care if, say Sauria from Dinosaur Planet, came back into the franchise or was completely forgotten about, but do like Krystal and her Staff weapon from that game and wouldn't want her at risk of being forgotten entirely.

I may not like some things from those three games myself, and granted it's not really in my hands to decide, but I'd much rather they try reworking those things more as a first option and forgetting them as a last resort if they're going for a reboot.

Reworking them to be more fitting and appropriate to the franchise is fine by me, as well, but it's not the only option they have.  They could reintroduce them in such a way is preferable, or they could start fresh and introduce new characters.  Or just stick to the ones they have.  Any of those are fine by me.

I actually liked Adventures (bearing in mind, I still think it's garbage as far its impact on the StarFox series goes, but I didn't suffer throughout the course of the game) and think Krystal is an okay character who in many respects was just introduced really poorly.  But I still wouldn't be upset if she were gone from the series.  Might be because I'm not nearly as attached to her as, say, the main four, but still.

Reworking them to be more fitting and appropriate to the franchise is fine by me, as well, but it's not the only option they have.  They could reintroduce them in such a way is preferable, or they could start fresh and introduce new characters.  Or just stick to the ones they have.  Any of those are fine by me.

I actually liked Adventures (bearing in mind, I still think it's garbage as far its impact on the StarFox series goes, but I didn't suffer throughout the course of the game) and think Krystal is an okay character who in many respects was just introduced really poorly.  But I still wouldn't be upset if she were gone from the series.  Might be because I'm not nearly as attached to her as, say, the main four, but still.

All that (except for starting fresh with new characters) generally falls into the category of "reworking them" tho. Whatever the options they decide is up to them, but provided this is actually a new beginning that'll continue with more titles (and maybe even then), I doubt they would just throw the more recurring characters away like that, as Krystal has had enough appearances to stick around as much as Bill and Katt Monroe have to make it questionable if she'll be dropped for good in favor of a newer character. It would seem more likely she'd be put on hiatus than be gone from the series.

Still, we don't have to forget everything after 64. You may not be upset about somethings being gone, but keep in mind you're not the only person who matters as far as this franchise goes because it would still be a colossal middle finger to others who do being left out of the stuff they like.

All that (except for starting fresh with new characters) generally falls into the category of "reworking them" tho. Whatever the options they decide is up to them, but provided this is actually a new beginning that'll continue with more titles (and maybe even then), I doubt they would just throw the more recurring characters away like that, as Krystal has had enough appearances to stick around as much as Bill and Katt Monroe have to make it questionable if she'll be dropped for good in favor of a newer character. It would seem more likely she'd be put on hiatus than be gone from the series.

Still, we don't have to forget everything after 64. You may not be upset about somethings being gone, but keep in mind you're not the only person who matters as far as this franchise goes because it would still be a colossal middle finger to others who do being left out of the stuff they like.

And they're allowed to be disappointed and express themselves as such, just as I am as allowed to be apathetic to them.

If StarFox does get a female member, chances are it'll be Krystal or someone from the other titles like Katt, Fara Pheonix, Faye, or Miyu than anyone new. And although I'm doubting Krystal will appear myself, but there's no telling if she'll stay gone. I'm hoping she comes back if at all possible tho, without the terrible stuff I've heard of her from Command.

I seriously doubt a character from a obscure 23 year old comic published in Nintendo Power is more likely than a new one.

Katt joining the team would be disappointing. She should stay independent. And I think it'll stay that way.

I don't think Fay and Miyu are particularly likely either. They seem to have evolved into Bill and Katt.

I seriously doubt a character from a obscure 23 year old comic published in Nintendo Power is more likely than a new one.

Katt joining the team would be disappointing. She should stay independent. And I think it'll stay that way.

I don't think Fay and Miyu are particularly likely either. They seem to have evolved into Bill and Katt.

Except they were a female poodle and Lynx, and are different enough to evolve into their own characters, so you never know, I mean they brought back the walker mode(though I wish they had brought back the defender and interceptor designs as well) 

And they're allowed to be disappointed and express themselves as such, just as I am as allowed to be apathetic to them.

Okay, and? No one's telling you to care here, but that there's plenty of other fans that would like their due and Nintendo's wouldn't just drop them like that. At best they'll delay appearances of other characters at a later time or for another title (if another one is even made, mind you), but given how much history Krystal has had comparable to Katt and Bill, it's doubtful they'll drop her entirely.

You never really know what the heck they're going to do here considering they've brought back an old walker concept from the cancelled StarFox 2 game, which Fara Pheonix, Faye, and Miyu were also planned to be in at the time. And if they're willing to flat out reboot things, who the hell other than the developers themselves is to say Katt wouldn't join the team, or that Faye and Miyu won't come back in some other form? We know very little about whether they'll have a female team member, if one at all, so considering the female characters they do have what makes you that certain they're more likely to make a completely new female teammate instead of reusing an old one?

They have a lot more unused characters and current ones they can dust off and give new life here that it's equally doubtful they'll make a new teammate from scratch. And considering how much time and effort it would save them to reuse old characters, there's nothing unlikely about any of them springing up here anymore than others being gone for good over a new character.

• Thumbs Up 2

Say, why did the nice clean new topic get merged with the messy old mostly speculation topic? You could have at least replaced the opening post with the new one.

I never played star fox command. What was wrong with Krystal in Command?

Made her a traitor, wimp, and more or less a washed up anti-hero depending on which path you took. It had multiple endings, and none of them were well done or satisfying. It also more or less killed off General Pepper 

Say, why did the nice clean new topic get merged with the messy old mostly speculation topic? You could have at least replaced the opening post with the new one.

Made her a traitor, wimp, and more or less a washed up anti-hero depending on which path you took. It had multiple endings, and none of them were well done or satisfying. It also more or less killed off General Pepper 

One of the path makes her turn Heel and join Star Wolf... yeah... i am too confused...

Coming from someone who liked Command, even I have to say that the game's writing is, well, questionable at best - Krystal just happened to be one of the main victims of it. Granted, this is a series which is not known for its storytelling, it's not like every character isn't two-dimensional. Hell, Krystal was supposed to be one of the two playable protagonists of Dinosaur Planet until Rare decided it'd be a brilliant idea to shunt her into the distressed damsel role instead of just replacing Sabre with Fox and maintaining Krystal's co-star role, it would at least have made the beginning of their relationship a bit more believable. (Though apparently Krystal being a vixen was actually intended even before Dinosaur Planet got retooled despite her original more feline-like design.) There's a lot of things Rare changed with the retool that they really didn't need to.

Fun fact: Adventures' fourth dungeon boss was originally the villain. I kid you not.

While even Nintendo probably knows storytelling isn't their strong suit and want to keep it to classic cheese levels (that, and it's a Miyamoto project, and he doesn't seem to be terribly keen on deep storylines), I do feel the way they're handling the reboot on the narrative side is something of a missed opportunity. Keeping the aesthetic, I'd prefer to see the kind of writing and tone from the likes of Avatar TLA/Korra.

• 4 weeks later...

14 minute video courtesy of Nintendo World Report

Nothing new but from the sounds of it Nintendo brought back the sound team from Wonderful 101.

• Thumbs Up 1

Coming from someone who liked Command, even I have to say that the game's writing is, well, questionable at best - Krystal just happened to be one of the main victims of it. Granted, this is a series which is not known for its storytelling, it's not like every character isn't two-dimensional. Hell, Krystal was supposed to be one of the two playable protagonists of Dinosaur Planet until Rare decided it'd be a brilliant idea to shunt her into the distressed damsel role instead of just replacing Sabre with Fox and maintaining Krystal's co-star role, it would at least have made the beginning of their relationship a bit more believable. (Though apparently Krystal being a vixen was actually intended even before Dinosaur Planet got retooled despite her original more feline-like design.) There's a lot of things Rare changed with the retool that they really didn't need to.

Fun fact: Adventures' fourth dungeon boss was originally the villain. I kid you not.

While even Nintendo probably knows storytelling isn't their strong suit and want to keep it to classic cheese levels (that, and it's a Miyamoto project, and he doesn't seem to be terribly keen on deep storylines), I do feel the way they're handling the reboot on the narrative side is something of a missed opportunity. Keeping the aesthetic, I'd prefer to see the kind of writing and tone from the likes of Avatar TLA/Korra.

To be fair, a lot of that was on Nintendo's part for Adventures. Miyamoto probably wanted Fox to be the main star since Fox is the star of the Star Fox series. Because of that, and because Fox would need to use the Staff (due to Krystal originally being the main character), Krystal forcibly got pushed into a damsel role, even though she was originally supposed to be the star of the game. I'd blame that on Miyamoto if anyone.

...not that Miyamoto is BAD, as he's got a lot of good ideas. But some of his ideas are awful. Like the obnoxious blowing mechanic from Donkey Kong Country Returns that almost EVERYONE hated. That was HIS idea.

...wow, its been weeks since that post was made. Dang. Granted, there wasn't a lot of information about the game since E3.

I have a lot of respect and admiration for Miyamoto as a developer, but I'd rather he stay away from advising for projects which he's not directly involved in

So I'm excited for Star Fox Zero due to him being a major player, but if he was throwing out suggestions from the sidelines I'd be a lot more cautious

• Thumbs Up 2

14 minute video courtesy of Nintendo World Report

Nothing new but from the sounds of it Nintendo brought back the sound team from Wonderful 101.

Anyone else think the title screen music sounds a little like a slowed down version of the Melee menu music?  Anyway, the soundtrack is sounding great, assuming it's at least close to what we'll see in the final.

I have a lot of respect and admiration for Miyamoto as a developer, but I'd rather he stay away from advising for projects which he's not directly involved in

So I'm excited for Star Fox Zero due to him being a major player, but if he was throwing out suggestions from the sidelines I'd be a lot more cautious

Yeah, this I think is the issue. Him throwing out suggestions on project's he's not directly involved in tends not to go so well, but its great if he's leading the charge.