Awoo.

StarFox Zero (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

I don't like that Pigma simply volunteered for the mission. I prefer him actually being a part of he original Star Fox team.

• Thumbs Up 2

Eh, it's more in his character. Remember, this was the same jackass who even Wolf decided he couldn't stand and booted him out. We've seen absolutely nothing in terms of good character out of the guy, which is probably why the devs felt it was probably best that he wasn't originally a friend of James or Peppy. Pigma being a member of Star Fox before the scouting mission never made sense to me.

Now, had we gotten any flashbacks or previous material that indicated that Pigma, for his faults, was considered a decent person but fell from grace due to his greed and got worse from there? Pigma being a member of the original Star Fox would've been believable, but that never happened.

I think this just makes his betrayal less personal. Before they had been working together for years and he betrayed them for money. Now it just seems like he was a double agent from the start. I didn't need any flashbacks, I just filled those holes in my head. If anything this makes him seem like less of a scumbag to me.

• Thumbs Up 3

Some new footage from Wondercon:

Note how he barely even uses the second screen or gyro controls for more than a half of the demo. Hmm.

Also, some good footage of a dungeon-section for the Walker/Arwing in Sector 3. Have a feeling mastering that section of the level and flying through it solely as the Arwing will be even more fun than going through it as the walker, considering it's not an on-rails section.

Also, although I missed posting the video...

JYQAx6n.png

In this guy's embargo-breaking walkthrough of the game, he showed off the score list for a split second. Looks like there'll be up to 20 levels for score records, and at least Corneria will be revisited later on in the game. Whether this count the alternate routes/bosses as full-scoring levels, (completeing Aquarosa did seem to put a similar time-based tally on the map afterwards) or fully-fledged levels yet to be unlocked, we have yet to know. Most likely they'd count as planet revisits if they did, though, considering the 11 locations on map.

Hoping for the most out of it, but expecting that it's just an alternate route-tally, tbh

Other tidbits that came from the vid include the fact that the Falco amiibo unlocks the glass-cannon mode with a black Arwing skin, and there's an unknown unlockable mode on the menu screen below Arcade mode.

28 minutes ago, The Deleter said:

Some new footage from Wondercon:

Note how he barely even uses the second screen or gyro controls for more than a half of the demo. Hmm.

Also, some good footage of a dungeon-section for the Walker/Arwing in Sector 3. Have a feeling mastering that section of the level and flying through it solely as the Arwing will be even more fun than going through it as the walker, considering it's not an on-rails section.

Also, although I missed posting the video...

JYQAx6n.png

In this guy's embargo-breaking walkthrough of the game, he showed off the score list for a split second. Looks like there'll be up to 20 levels for score records, and at least Corneria will be revisited later on in the game. Whether this count the alternate routes/bosses as full-scoring levels, (completeing Aquarosa did seem to put a similar time-based tally on the map afterwards) or fully-fledged levels yet to be unlocked, we have yet to know. Most likely they'd count as planet revisits if they did, though, considering the 11 locations on map.

Hoping for the most out of it, but expecting that it's just an alternate route-tally, tbh

Other tidbits that came from the vid include the fact that the Falco amiibo unlocks the glass-cannon mode with a black Arwing skin, and there's an unknown unlockable mode on the menu screen below Arcade mode.

Also the Falco amiibo could be an additonal glass cannon mode considering that it give 3 times the damage while Miyamoto mentioned a double damage mode. Also notice Coneria has a different portrait, and the plot involves time travel It is likely an entirely new level, because alternate paths do not mean a different score rating

57 minutes ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

Also the Falco amiibo could be an additonal glass cannon mode considering that it give 3 times the damage while Miyamoto mentioned a double damage mode. Also notice Coneria has a different portrait, and the plot involves time travel It is likely an entirely new level, because alternate paths do not mean a different score rating

Oh it is; multiple people playing the game have already said you visit Corneria twice on the first playthrough. It's just that, for one, the alternate paths have their own spin on the score method outside of overall hits, and are indeed separately scored (and possibly selectable from the map) missions from the stages they segway out of. And two, there's apparently 5 medals every stage, there's 20 stage slots open, but only 70 medals to collect? And alternate routes in stages don't have medal tallies so far.

Again, I hope I'm wrong and we get the most out of it, but as is I don't think we should be expecting 20 whole stages from the game do-or-die.

Edit: New Star Fox Guard trailer/promo

Stuff like Aquarosa (The alternate Corneria boss) are probably counted on that list, too. After that guy finished it, he could select it on the map.

I think Corneria 2 is literally Aquarosa, the colour of the planet is basically signifying that it's at sunset (orange) and that's when the fight takes place.

I hope that the wormholes lead to actual new full levels, and not just cop outs for boss variants though, that's my main concern right now.

1 minute ago, Lady Soniko said:

I think Corneria 2 is literally Aquarosa, the colour of the planet is basically signifying that it's at sunset (orange) and that's when the fight takes place.

I don't think so. Aquarosa was selectable next to Corneria and he could selct Corneria 2 before he even beat Aquarosa.

New trailer

I am so hype for this game, also Coneria 2 is a seperate level, even if it shares some locations, it's been confirmed to have different enemies and events due to this select image

1d42d0696259c82338629989d00c878b.png

Looks like you come back later through a portal, or something happens. Looks like we're not only getting new planets, and possibly an expert mode, but also alternate story missions on the same planet.

Also apparently you can do classic star fox gameplay by holding the y button for a few seconds, locking the reticle, then hold the shoulder button to use controlled aiming at will, albeit at the cost of not being able to get the high score/some bosses being a whole lot more difficult

Also apparently you can do classic star fox gameplay by holding the y button for a few seconds, locking the reticle, then hold the shoulder button to use controlled aiming at will, albeit at the cost of not being able to get the high score/some bosses being a whole lot more difficult

2 hours ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

While that's just a rumor started by misinformation, it does appear true that there is a way to lock it ala old Star Fox targeting. We finally have a more clear answer to how it works, though, thanks to a few users on Neogaf who got the game early. Going by this guy's overall posting history...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=199594510&postcount=407

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=199602966&postcount=421

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=199625466&postcount=462

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=199637256&postcount=465

and this guy's post...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=199505688&postcount=293

It looks like the controls are changed by going into the pause/options menu and changing the settings for an "alternate" aiming mode. Then when it's activated, the targeting system behaves like the usual Star Fox games until you hold down one of the side-triggers on the gamepad, which "unlocks" the gyro controls and lets you aim wherever you want. You have to hold it down though, apparently, so it might just snap back to center position once you let go of the shoulder buttons.

Sounds like a good compromise, and it won't effect gyro aiming in normal mode too much when moving your arwing every which way, so that's a bonus as well.

Dunno why they didn't make this the default control scheme, though, as this seems like a control scheme for traditionalists and new players, while the one we already have seems far harder to get used to and master, just with greater reward. Would have made the reception of the game a lot better, that's for sure. :\

• Thumbs Up 1

Because it was developed second, is slower and the game wasn't designed initially with it in mind

Oh, the first print edition is actually selling out in places? I better get my order in already, then.

Normally I wouldn't care if it was just preorder stuff like hats, badges, or toys, but that steelbook case...

11261880-4144374370902672.jpg

Mmph

• Thumbs Up 2

You know, regardless of what you might feel about this game so far, there's at least one thing that could be said for it: at least unlike Nintendo's recent outings with Zelda (particularly looking at Twilight Princess HD), that they aren't trying to milk the ever loving fuck from it. The most I've heard of amiibos was in relation to you getting a special arwing that looks like the one from the SNES release.

Part of my complete and utter disgust with Nintendo lately has to relate with how they blatantly have been putting the most minimal amount of effort into their products, and instead have been using them as a vehicle to sell more amiibos. Twilight Princess HD was the absolute worst about this, and I refuse to have anything to fucking do with it. I still have my Gamecube version, and if I want lovely HD goodness the game runs just fine with Dolphin.

With Star Fox Zero, I've seen a lot less cynacism than as of late and a genuine desire to make a genuinely good product that's worth my $60. I may even buy a Wii U for this game (and Splatoon, the only other game in the mire of Nintendo blatantly not trying) if only to express that if Nintendo wants my money they'll give me something worth giving a shit about.

And, if only for a brief moment, Nintendo takes a brief glimpse out of its ass, and actually tries once again. Good on you.

Um, TP came with a single amiibo, and has minor support for existing amiibos, it was handled pretty tactfully if you ask me.

On another note, I've been hype for this by the music is jamming too, no star fox game has had terrible music, and depending on your taste whether SNES or 64 has better music, I like both. This game takes the style, and remixes of both, and then does it's own style inspired by both

Also, area 3 is sick because it uses a 64 remix for the space battle, but a SNES remix for inside the space station

Hey just chiming in with an update on the Amiibo functionality for Star Fox Zero, we all know that Fox's SSB4 Amiibo unlocks the Starwing/Star Fox SNES Arwing with retro music and sound effects, but Falco's SSB4 amiibo unlock has been pretty hush hush, so... Spoilers.

It's a black and red Arwing, that can lock onto 2 enemies at once, but if you collect every laser upgrade up to Hyper Lasers (the blue twin lasers) you can lock onto 4 enemies at once, the drawback is that you take 3 times the amount of normal damage though, so effectively this Ship is a Glass Cannon mode. 

46 minutes ago, Lady Soniko said:

Hey just chiming in with an update on the Amiibo functionality for Star Fox Zero, we all know that Fox's SSB4 Amiibo unlocks the Starwing/Star Fox SNES Arwing with retro music and sound effects, but Falco's SSB4 amiibo unlock has been pretty hush hush, so... Spoilers.

Hide contents

It's a black and red Arwing, that can lock onto 2 enemies at once, but if you collect every laser upgrade up to Hyper Lasers (the blue twin lasers) you can lock onto 4 enemies at once, the drawback is that you take 3 times the amount of normal damage though, so effectively this Ship is a Glass Cannon mode. 

Previews drop tomorrow, also @Lady Soniko

I figure that falco is to star fox is what Ganondorf is to TPHD. Miyamoto mention glass cannon as having double damage, and more firepower. He also said he didn't want the amiibo to detract from the game, being no more than skins.

So it's quite possible there is an in-game unlockable Glass Cannon mode, alonside Falco. He said ship rather than arwing, so perhaps the Wolfen is the glass cannon ship. That's my line of thinking at least.

I'll post some of the previews if I'm not beaten to it

For those of you that forgot that PlatinumGames helped make this game, there is a good, old-fashioned rival fight!

That walker form tho...that Final Smash tho

• Thumbs Up 1

Star Fox has had that Rival fight since Star Fox 2(that introduced Star Wolf).

Also Previews

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04/05/star-fox-zero-we-took-nintendos-flight-combat-game-for-a-spin?abthid=5703d2858689054765000007

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/hands-on-preview/42495/star-fox-zero-wii-u-hands-on-preview

Overall impressions are, games awesome, but controls take time to learn, but can be bypassed with Co-op mode as well, which is an awesome way to play the game

Also there are embargoed unlockables connected to the silver coins and the medals

GameXplain also showed some gameplay of Sector Gamma. Going to spoiler tag it and my thoughts just to be safe:

Spoiler

This seriously looks so fun. I've never thought of the idea of a high-speed level in a Star Fox game before, but it's a thrill to watch in a way I haven't yet experienced from this series. Like the kind of adrenaline you get from watching some good Unleashed daytime/Generations modern gameplay.

And then there's, of course, the awesome Platinum-esque soundtrack. And that new Boss B theme arrangement! So much good stuff here.

My overall hype has been slowly building up with each preview, but I think it's now reached its peak. I'm so ready for this game.