Awoo.

StarFox Zero (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

7 hours ago, The Deleter said:

So I wake up and boom, Star Fox is getting an anime episode

Looks like Zero is getting the Kid Icarus Uprising treatment, in a way.

Actually reminds me of FFXV with the recent release of the Brotherhood prequel anime.

So Corneria 2's music was just released and mmmmmmmph

That is quite possibly the best track I've ever heard from the Star Fox series. Has a huge Wonderful 101 vibe to it, as well. Wonder if Platinum's handling the music for this game...

Also, apparently the medals unlock more 3D "tutorial" challenge levels, as well as a full mode when all collected:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=201436102&postcount=350

It may seem like a minor thing, but this is fantastic imo; I love playing around in 3D spaces with vehicles, and having all the vehicles in completely seperate, laid-back, yet exploration-based and high-score-able stages like this:

Will be an absolute blast to play around in, especially if all the vehicles play as good in 3D as the landmaster looks in that video.

It could be me just listening to the C2 music for the past hour, but I'm getting pretty hyped for this game now, guys

Oh, also, I'll be streaming the anime episode on Motobug, as well. http://taima.tv/r/Motobug A bit out of the blue, but if anyone wants to hop in, the short will be happening at 6:00 PM EST.

Star Fox Zero and Guard embargos are up, and well...

unknown.png

unknown.png

...let's begin.

And the more extreme side of the reviews:

Vooks - 10/10

http://www.vooks.net/star-fox-zero-review/

CheatCodeCentral - 9.6/10

http://www.cheatcc.com/wiiu/rev/starfoxzeroreview.html

Nintendon.IT - 9/10

http://www.nintendon.it/star-fox-zero-97756

-----

GamesRadar - 5/10

http://www.gamesradar.com/star-fox-zero-review/

GiantBomb - 4/10

http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/star-fox-zero-review/1900-741/

Overall, eesh. Does not look good for Star Fox Zero, regardless of the higher scores it may get. A fractured review-board is never a good way to get people off the fence into buying the game.

I expected these scores, and yet I'm still disheartened. It's still a day 1 game for me, but I can't say I'll keep the same level of hype I had just yesterday. Instead it'll be me hoping the high heavens that my bro and I will be lucky and get used to the controls quickly enough to actually enjoy it.

A lot of complaints about the controls. Looks like the genius Marcello was right again. 

8rzi3de104ady66ntiz3.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't know, I thought that was a given. People didn't even like them in Splatoon and willingly gimped themselves by turning them off. Difference is, you can't do that in Zero.

• Thumbs Up 1

The reason for the lower score reviews is because of the learning curve being the price of entry, but almost everything else is being praised. But these are all still good/solid review scores. Star Fox has never been a super easy appeals to everyone series, but each one does something fun and interesting. This sounds like a great return to form for Star Fox fans, and will probably be considered a classic

It's sad that people forget how the rating scale is supposed to work, this image shows how it works

jcokgMJKSAqdrFRruCrP_kj3gFME.jpg

7.5 average is solid and great.

There's little complaint about anything other than the gryo controls, yeah. There is the odd one here or there that say it's too similar to the Star Fox of old (I don't know what they expected).

Seems like another kid icarus uprising situation where you'll love it if you adapt to the controls but you'll hate it if you can't.

• Thumbs Up 1

The short is up on demand.

I thought it was pretty good, so give it a watch. Production IG was a good choice Nintendo made.

• Thumbs Up 5

29 minutes ago, Athena Cykes said:

I thought it was pretty good, so give it a watch. Production IG was a good choice Nintendo made.

That was sick... and felt more like a pilot than a promotional short, perhaps we are in for more in the future

I'm still disappointed by the reviews and overall reception for the game, (good that it's leveled inbetween the 7's and 8's now though) but that short was pretty cool, I must say. Makes me wish they had a full series for the game, or the game took it's story-telling direction instead of the 64 style. Regardless, was some good fun, and helped restore some of the hype I had before.

However I want to know... why on earth are there still embargos on what can be put in the reviews?!? I get keeping features a secret for previews, since a trickle of info is better than a dump, but it's nearly release day for crying out loud! Why on earth are you keeping game-value boosting info away from the masses when it's the best time for them to decide on buying the game or not???

58 minutes ago, Athena Cykes said:

Ok seriously, what's with Nintendo? First Kid Icarus and now Star Fox? They are literally sitting on gold mines in terms of TV content at this point. That was fucking rad! The only thing I didn't like were how the character's movements were animated (kind of looked like they were skipping frames in a lot of cases) but literally everything else was fantastic.

I've said it with Kid Icarus and I'll say it for Star Fox. Nintendo would be down right foolish not to make this into a series.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll finish the animation in a bit, but the writing is GREAT. The animation though... I'm not sure, not a fan of the jerky framerate on them nor that they're basically 3D models instead of drawn. 

Also it seems like the complaints for SFZ come down to the gyro controls and forced cockpit areas (reasonable, since that sounds dreadful), and complaining that they have to use anything besides the Arwing (unreasonable nostalgia whining lol). Hope the former issues aren't too bad, because otherwise this seems like a really great reboot.

• Thumbs Up 2

As far as forced cockpit things go, I assume it's the instances like on Fortuna where the top screen switches to the cockpit when you're going through a tunnel full of vines. I understand why it's done there but, are there points where it's not really needed?

If you look at the YouTube video of the short and go to 9:20, it definitely looks like Peppy Hare's name is spelled "Peppy Hair".

They should have just made a Starfox game. 

Ok, less deductively, aside from the issues with the controls, they didn't go far enough in either direction, you have 64 which was basically a 3D shmup, and then on the other end, well, it's very early for me so I can't think of what's on the other end. Maybe something like Ace Conbat.

One of the major benefits of the very arcadey style of game like 64 is that you can burn through it a bunch of times without hitting any slow spots, it's always throwing something repeatable at you, whereas who wants to replay Starfox Ass?  It's too dominated by the third person stuff that it isn't really that good at, and it suffered for it, as is this game, it seems. 

So it appears (judging by the headline) that Polygon seem to think that the president of PlatinumGames stepped down because of this game.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/4/21/11477286/report-president-of-star-fox-zero-dev-platinumgames-steps-down

In fact, reading the article, they mention Star Fox Zero multiple times. :V