Awoo.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii-U, Switch) 2017

Nintendoga

Just now, Indigo Rush said:

No female Link is a bummer, and I don't agree with their reasoning for it. I don't think it'll detract me from the game, though. Just a shame.

At least Pokemon gives you the option, eh.

Well the Pokemon characters are their own characters with names so technically you're just changing their skin colour, not their final design.

Just now, Mogtaki said:

Well the Pokemon characters are their own characters with names so technically you're just changing their skin colour, not their final design.

A case can be made for Link having a female option, and it's been debated enough for me not to be interested in contributing.

Nonetheless, the folks at Nintendo have spoken on the matter until further notice.

8 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Again, lets focus on more of what I said than that alone please?

How about no? You can't say something ridiculous like that and expect everybody to ignore it and only talk about what YOU want them to talk about.

4 minutes ago, Mogtaki said:

Hmm, if I owned a character like Link, I wouldn't want to change things like gender on a whim because a small group of people wanted it. It's unreasonable to get mad over someone else's character. It's like people getting mad because Mario isn't able to change gender who is also a semi-mute iconic character.

Except unlike Mario it's not the same Link & Zelda every game. They are supposedly reincarnations of their past-selfs almost every-game.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

How about no? You can't say something ridiculous like that and expect everybody to ignore it and only talk about what YOU want them to talk about.

Except unlike Mario it's not the same Link & Zelda every game. They are supposedly reincarnations of their past-selfs almost every-game.

I expect folks to discuss it and the other points brought up, not be prick-ish about one specific subject.

Zelda is a fun series, and it reminds me of how I love exploring.

Hitler did nothing wrong

It's just amazing how much you can do in Zelda

• Thumbs Up 8

3 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

Zelda is a fun series, and it reminds me of how I love exploring.

Hitler did nothing wrong

It's just amazing how much you can do in Zelda

Agreed on two of those lines, shrug on another, because the world seems to think that way considering so many act just like him toward other races.

1 minute ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

But the people they originally reincarnated from were still Link and Zelda who were male and female respectively. Changing that would be fanfiction material after 30 years of being the same.

It's unreasonable to get mad over something that never was supposed to happen in the first place.

3 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

you are a broken man

I'm realistic. It's not my fault many in this world continues to imitate one of the worst men to exist.

(Bless those who passed in Orlando)

But back on the subject of this game, again, I feel it's a sequel to WInd Waker in the old Hyrule that found itself raised from the ocean somehow. The Sheikah possibly created a Link clone for the sake of saving the land once it was brought back from the surface since they knew Ganon was going to be freed again with the sword removed from his head and their original hero moved to look over a new kingdom.

4 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Agreed on two of those lines, shrug on another, because the world seems to think that way considering so many act just like him toward other races.

Holy shit. No. No. WE ARE NOT GOING TO CONTINUE THIS LINE OF DEBATE ON THESE FORUMS.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 hours ago, Sean said:

Holy shit. No. No. WE ARE NOT GOING TO CONTINUE THIS LINE OF DEBATE ON THESE FORUMS.

I'm not, I'm discussing the game itself again. No worries.

5 minutes ago, Mogtaki said:

But the people they originally reincarnated from were still Link and Zelda who were male and female respectively. Changing that would be fanfiction material after 30 years of being the same.

How would it be "fanfiction material"?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Diogenes said:

How would it be "fanfiction material"?

Ehhhh... Same as female versions of male Sonic characters.

12 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

I feel like this is almost a technicality. Link's been around for 30 years. His origins have been different in just about every entry, but he's an established gaming icon that people are very familiar with. There are a lot of commonalities between every Link, from how he acts, to his abilities and how he dresses. One of those commonalities is that he happens to be male.

I'm fine with the idea of a female Link (I actually expected one) but I think that some people have different views on who or what he is. Some see him as a blank avatar that we should be able to customize. Others just feel that Link is Link. There are many Links, but to a lot of players there might as well only be one. People have different relationships with the series and the character and I don't think any of them are necessarily wrong. 

So FemLink or Linkle would've been cool, but Nintendo's spoken on the matter and given a really clumsy answer. Oh well.

Also, Jesus, this thread. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Did I just not play the Zelda game where it was explicitly noted in text that Link and Zelda (and Ganondorf) must always reincarnate to be the same in terms of basic characteristics?

Because someone should let Nintendo know that Zelda and Link should always have the same hair colour. I mean, that's changed a few times. You can't just CHANGE a character like that.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Mogtaki said:

It's unreasonable to get mad over something that never was supposed to happen in the first place.

Actually in most stories a character can reincarnate into different things no problem... nothing says they have to remain the same gender or race even, that's up to the creators to decide. And considering many things on different on this game already... gender options hardly was to much to ask for.

And I'm not even mad it's not in the game. I just can't stand some of the bad logic behind it or people pretending it's a good thing they didn't do it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm intrigued by the voice acting referring to Link exactly by name. IF this means that avatar picking names ain't gonna be featured,  I wonder if this game will focus more on Link and give him more character,  somewhat akin to Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess in a manner of speaking. 

• Thumbs Up 6

Just now, Jovahexeon Undyne Phoenix said:

I'm intrigued by the voice acting referring to Link exactly by name. IF this means that avatar picking names ain't be featured,  I wonder if this game will focus more on Link and give him more character,  somewhat akin to Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess in a manner of speaking. 

That would be a good trade off that I'd welcome.

3 hours ago, Jovahexeon Undyne Phoenix said:

I'm intrigued by the voice acting referring to Link exactly by name. IF this means that avatar picking names ain't be featured,  I wonder if this game will focus more on Link and give him more character,  somewhat akin to Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess in a manner of speaking. 

Considering when Link talks to other characters in the game they're mute, it's likely only the main assistant in the game that speaks, which is likely the tablet he carries speaking or some spirit within it akin to Fi.

(Perhaps it is Fi considering the blue energy?)

7 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

And I'm not even mad it's not in the game. I just can't stand some of the bad logic behind it or people pretending it's a good thing they didn't do it.

Basically how I feel. The developers' reasoning (which tbf was probably just made up on the spot, lol) is bad, and I'm rolling my eyes at the people outright celebrating it, but it's not a huge deal. If the devs had just said "we just didn't feel like doing it" that would have been fine, especially since that leaves more room for a female Link option (or default, or whatever) in the future--which is really all we're asking, as nice as it would've been to see here.

Also apparently it was confirmed there isn't a partner character? I'm a little disappointed by that since I mostly like those characters, but oh well. I just hope there's some cool NPCs in this game.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Considering when Link talks to other characters in the game they're mute, it's likely only the main assistant in the game that speaks, which is likely the tablet he carries speaking or some spirit within it akin to Fi.

(Perhaps it is Fi considering the blue energy?)

Urrrm, not really the point of my observation and theory there. 

5 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Actually in most stories a character can reincarnate into different things no problem... nothing says they have to remain the same gender or race even, that's up to the creators to decide. And considering many things on different on this game already... gender options hardly was to much to ask for.

Well they're the creators and they decided no this won't be the case.

Still wondering if people would make a big deal if Zelda's gender was changed.

Just now, Mogtaki said:

I'd be fine with it. I always thought the idea of a female Link and Prince Zelda could be cute.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Mogtaki said:

Well they're the creators and they decided no this won't be the case.

Hell yes, that's an easy one. Changing a woman into a male is taboo, it's the other way around that's oddly enough an absolute must apparently otherwise someone is sexist if they don't do it and/or prefer it not to happen. Funny world.

Wonder how many times that very label will be so easily said here time and again...? I'll start counting...