Awoo.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii-U, Switch) 2017

Nintendoga

As far as I've seen and read, there's no in-universe significance for why every incarnation of Link always wears green. He's either already wearing it as his Sunday Best or he just has it handed to him for any number of reasons.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm late to the party but I have to say that I am of course impressed. Despite my limited knowledge of Zelda lore, I'm enjoying the speculation and how new this focus on technology is. The survival stuff is great too; as is the amount of creative possibilities the game gives you for combat (and that's just in the demo). I hope there are tonnes of outfits and that the world becomes a little more populated as you venture further within. If I have one concern, it's that the world might feel a little empty and/or repetitive; a problem with many open worlds. Hopefully they're just holding a lot back.

Most importantly though; they've included what I've always wanted out of an open world adventure - I CAN CLIMB VIRTUALLY EVERYTHING. Hallelujah.

Guess that's one of the traditions they decided to axe haha. Well, hopefully it will be a costume you can wear still. Maybe like a rare outfit or something.

There's a few games where the tunic is "this is what the destined hero is supposed to wear", but usually it's later in the timeline(s). So, to put it simply, the tunic isn't actually tied into the whole destiny thing, it's just a coincidence. And of course the real world explanation is simply game design tradition. :P

Wonder what this'll mean for Link in a hypothetical Smash 5 lol. I mean, at least it would differentiate him from Toon Link a bit more haha.

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

"The ancient sea" hmm...could be referring to the Great Sea, yes, but isn't the Hyrule seen in Spirit Tracks called like "New Hyrule" or something? 

No, I'm saying this would be the original Hyrule.

As I understand it, the Old Man was seen to mention Ganon by name at some point in the hours of Zelda footage?  If that's the case, then that rules out any point in the timeline before OoT, since that game depicts Ganon's origins.  (Yes, there is a loophole to this, but it's an ugly one and I'd be surprised if they used it.)

3 minutes ago, FFWF said:

As I understand it, the Old Man was seen to mention Ganon by name at some point in the hours of Zelda footage?  If that's the case, then that rules out any point in the timeline before OoT, since that game depicts Ganon's origins.  (Yes, there is a loophole to this, but it's an ugly one and I'd be surprised if they used it.)

Exactly.

It's also worth noting, the fact that the Sheikah elders mention Hylia doesn't actually suggest anything about the current time period.  It just means those elders are from a time when Hylia was still around, or at least still known.  They ARE incredibly ancient after all.

tumblr_o8sr8iiBKE1qkqf9bo4_1280.jpg

The light in the center of the castle is such a simple, but awesome motivator.

Like, the game probably doesn't tell you who or what the light is, but at the same time, who else could it be?

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

Like, the game probably doesn't tell you who or what the light is, but at the time, what else could it be?

Zelda's bra

the Triforce

The golden light is obviously the NX. Nintendo will reveal they only plan to release the console when enough players beat this game and get to that light.

• Thumbs Up 4

I just realized that if we get the Bunny Hood in this game, Link will be able to run and jump just like in Smash Bros. Combine that with shieldboarding and we'll finally have the Sonic game we've always wanted. 

• Thumbs Up 6

I hope there's a lot of things that increase speed (i.e. pegasus boots, bunny hood, and we already know about certain recipes you can make that will increase movement speed (if you use those mushrooms which I believe are aptly named "rushrooms")) AND the effect stacks. That would be amazing. Imagine Link moving at ridiculous speeds though this huge world.

Of course that would probably mess with the whole dynamic loading that's probably going on, but I can dream.

I wonder if items this time will have more utility in the overworld than in just the dungeons.

Will there even be an inventory screen? I'd assume there will still be certain permanent items, but I can't be fully sure at this point since everything needed to traverse seems to be scattered throughout the area.

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

tumblr_o8sr8iiBKE1qkqf9bo4_1280.jpg

The light in the center of the castle is such a simple, but awesome motivator.

Like, the game probably doesn't tell you who or what the light is, but at the same time, who else could it be?

Either Zelda or the Triforce. Could be either or, but I hope its not Zelda. If it IS Zelda, I hope it turns out that she's there as the only thing holding Ganon back, as opposed to just being trapped by him...

But I'd much rather Zelda be an NPC you can meet in the world who aids you more often. I kinda have a feeling we'll be getting AI NPC's since I doubt Wolf Link was added without the ability for AI companions to be in the game already.

35 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Will there even be an inventory screen? I'd assume there will still be certain permanent items, but I can't be fully sure at this point since everything needed to traverse seems to be scattered throughout the area.

The equivalent of permanent items here seem to be those abilities you get from the Shrines. We already know that bombs have been re-imagined this way, so I wouldn't be surprised to see some of those acting just like items from previous games. Like, for example, in one Shrine you might get an ability that works like the hookshot(s). Though this does make me wonder if the dungeons in this game will have these abilities too, or if they'll have something else entirely.

On the other hand some of the returning items from previous games we're seeing are weapons you can find in random chests, like the Fire Rod, and of course the bows.

Oh shit, go to 16:30 in that video.

Spoiler

Something falls from the sky and crashes into the ground. A shooting star...?

• Thumbs Up 2

Someone on GAF made an interesting observation-- each of the 100 dungeons was probably each designed by a single developer independently versus the whole team, as the first dungeon that was accessed had an elder whose name was an anagram of Aonuma's. So it's probably likely that the rest of the priests are named after the person who designed their dungeons. Really neat if true!

• Thumbs Up 6

5 hours ago, Solly said:

And this game can't take place there, can it? By the end of Wind Waker, the Master Sword was in 

Reveal hidden contents

Ganondorf's head, at the bottom of the ocean.

The Great Sea recedes and/or is filled in by the expanding Deku Tree islands which grew larger as the trees grew. The Master Sword is extricated from its resting place, Ganon returns and wins by default, hence the Calamity thingy. Boom, there, excuse made up.

Or it could be a reference to Skyward Sword's Lanayru Province, which at one time was a large sea too. I'm inclined to believe that perhaps this game takes place somewhere near that one, timeline-wise, and if no other games have done it, maybe it deals with the original pre-OOT sages?

2 hours ago, Celestia said:

The equivalent of permanent items here seem to be those abilities you get from the Shrines. We already know that bombs have been re-imagined this way, so I wouldn't be surprised to see some of those acting just like items from previous games. Like, for example, in one Shrine you might get an ability that works like the hookshot(s). Though this does make me wonder if the dungeons in this game will have these abilities too, or if they'll have something else entirely.

On the other hand some of the returning items from previous games we're seeing are weapons you can find in random chests, like the Fire Rod, and of course the bows.

It seems like there could be additional tools that can receive abilities at Shrines similar to the Sheikah slate!  i'm not sure what those abilities could be given the unique power of the ones found in the earliest Shrines, however, there are plenty of possibilities!! 

6 hours ago, Nepenthe said:

Considering you can beat the game literally after getting out of the cave, the Master Sword isn't technically essential to gameplay, but it's probably going to be central to the narrative and I feel that's what counts the most.

Hmmm, I'd even hazard a notion that the narrative might even change appropriately based on course of actions taken in the full game.