Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

You know... I had some time to think about and after watching the videos a couple of more times... the games could turn out more enjoyable than what their worth. Like the story narrative and writing making them fun and enjoyable to me.

Now that's not to say I don't have issues with the game, because I still do. But, hopefully BRB can circumvent those issues. Then there's character portrayal that I have some fears with it. Based on that interview, Knuckles really is gonna be an idiot here and just have him say punchlines constantly. I really don't know how to comment on Amy with the whole "Strong independent female character" thing. I'm a bit anxious on how Sonic and Tails will be handled...

Amy having a love interest makes her a bad character?

Amy being completely defined by her love interest makes her a bad character, yes.

• Thumbs Up 1

No, folks are afraid it might be the opposite; if Amy has no love interest in Sonic = she's no longer Amy...

Personally I don't think that's going to be a problem; all they said is they'd tone it down. I have a feeling in previous interviews, Sonic Team have said that Amy's obsessive behaviour is seen as "cute", whereas to us Westerners it can be seen as annoying. I think they're probably going for a different portrayal of the same thing; a teenaged crush! :D

• Thumbs Up 1

No, it's the fear of not having a love interest for Sonic would completely detract from her character.

24qr42o.png

Caption: Tails experiences drugs for the first time.

"Hmm... I'm not sure if I like these or not..."

• Thumbs Up 1

If amy not being in love with sonic makes her not amy then she was never a good character in the first place.

No, it doesn't mean that.

Her crush on Sonic is a "Main" personality trait...getting rid of main personality traits is a bad thing, especially if its one of the traits that can't be replaced with something else to compensate for it.

The fact that this specific trait is related to her feelings for Sonic doesn't really make it any less of a problem. Its ONE of the traits that defines her, not the ONLY one that does.

• Thumbs Up 3

No, folks are afraid it might be the opposite; if Amy has no love interest in Sonic = she's no longer Amy...

Well if she not amy to you whatever.

But I'm not going to go around asking my friends what their names are because they had a breakup.

I'm not saying she cant I would think its cute. But I feel sorry for amy if she stops being pink if she starts liking knuckles.

On the topic of amy I relly love the way she was moving on platform in the video she actually looks faster than sonic alot of the time.

See, guys? There's nothing to worry about. Some of these people have been in the business for a long time-- no way they're messing things up.

But im not freaking outsad.png

I'm totally calmly pointing out that sonic is a bit to slow and I'm hoping that BRB doesnt just right off the complaints of this many people as us not wanting change.

Also I dont think someone saying we're still working on it is reason enough to dismiss every worry you have.in the first place, nobody here thought that the game was good and ready and they they wrere all on vacation.

I'm not sure where some people are reading from the article that they simply said they're going to tone it down. The quote specifically states they didn't want her fawning over Sonic, and this directly proceeds the stated desire to make her a stronger, more independent female. I'm not sure how you can blame anyone for reading that at face value and coming to the conclusion that Amy will not be fawning over Sonic anymore, and that this trait is solely responsible for impeding her development as a good character (instead of, yanno, bad writing.)

"The Game Freaks" brings up a false comparison regarding the credible criticisms directed at Boom, likening legitimate criticisms as being meritless.

Frost shoves it off as being people "Freaking out too quickly" despite a large number of the criticisms being directed towards things that were confirmed by BRB and/or are highly likely to remain permanent.

Nope, many of the detractors still have good justification for feeling the way they feel.

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm not sure where some people are reading from the article that they simply said they're going to tone it down. The quote specifically states they didn't want her fawning over Sonic, and this directly proceeds the stated desire to make her a stronger, more independent female. I'm not sure how you can blame anyone for reading that at face value and coming to the conclusion that Amy will not be fawning over Sonic anymore, and that this trait is solely responsible for impeding her development as a good character (instead of, yanno, bad writing.)

You can like someone without fawning over them.

• Thumbs Up 3

You can like someone without fawning over them.

Also, I know Amy's love of Sonic is a big part of the character but.....when the main defining aspect of a Character is show he or she loves a completely seperate character, and taking that away is the equivalent of changing them into a completely new character...

I dunno, doesnt that seem rather off?

See, guys? There's nothing to worry about. Some of these people have been in the business for a long time-- no way they're messing things up.

I remember when Ken Balough used to say that all the time.

• Thumbs Up 5

I think you're focusing too much on the wording and not on the fact that Frost is listening and that he said the game will continue to be tweaked for a better final product. That was the main purpose of the tweet.

I really dislike the way you wrote that he shrugged it off. No he didn't. He's paying attention. He's basically saying that there will be people that like it, there will be people that dislike it, and that he likes all of them.

I'm also sure GameFreak meant that a lot of people don't like the look of the game. It had nothing to do with saying the Sonic fanbase had meritless complaints. I'm not entirely sure how you're getting that out, but it almost sounds to me you were offended.

Take it this way.

Person: The Sonic fanbase is complaining about Sonic Boom, how do you feel?

Frost: There will be people that dislike it, and there will be people that like it. I accept all of them.

Frost: We will continue to fix and polish the game for a better final product.

No, the wording was telling enough.

Person; Boom's detractors' complaints are as arbitrary as saying the sky is blue (Despite many of said complaints being well-founded)

Frost; People are freaking out too quickly

Frost; We continue to work on, fix, improve and polish until the end

Nothing wrong with the last quote at all and indeed it is cool that this will be invested on the game. It's the first and second (The first in particular) that get me.

So Amy and Knuckles confirmed for bastardized versions of their main series counterparts?

Why am I not surprised?

It's funny because I actually don't mind Knuckles being a slow goofball, sorta like Big the Cat. I think it's an improvement, not basterisation. =/

What do I want? A character who is similar to Big personality wise but with some potential cool factor, or an aggressive, dumb butt monkey who is always there for everyone to laugh at and make fun of with no coolness factor whatsoever? TOUGH DECISION.

Obviously i'd go for the former and I trust BRB to give Knuckles a better personality than SEGA, who have ruined the character since Sonic X and Sonic Heroes.

Actually, I think he was referring to the people who did legitimately freak out. That doesn't necessarily mean anyone here. From what I've seen, there have been no panic attacks or anxiety attacks, so I think we're all fine here. ;)

I think I know why he's saying it. On the SEGA forums, people did literally freak out. I mean, literally. He probably thought it was the same here, he probably didn't have time to read everyone's reactions. I highly doubt he's shrugging off or disrespecting anyone who dislikes what they saw, in fact, I believe he said before that he understands if people are worried due to how radically different it is.

• Thumbs Up 1

The way I saw his post is, he said "There are gonna be people who like the game and people that hate the game. We will still continue to work hard on the game to create a great product." You know, stuff developers say.

As of now, I feel like the only one with faith in this project. A lot of people I see here complain about the brawling and the speed and all. I'm still looking at it as "A different Sonic". Like, I'm treating it as I would a separate branch of the series. You know, what it is. My reaction could be because I honestly expected something like this. But it could also be because the way I put it in perspective is how I'd see another branch in say, the Mario franchise. Look at the Mario & Luigi RPG games or Paper Mario. Those are different branches, trying out different things. That's how I see Boom. We still know there's a core Sonic game coming out in the future.

I think people are just upset because it's not satisfying their hunger for a mainline Sonic title. A lot of people I see here were expecting a Heroes/Adventure style game. And well, by expecting that you're shooting yourself in the foot. We knew from day one this would be drastically different with Sonicy elements in it so it doesn't feel like a completely different series. I for one, welcome the new gameplay as it looks like it will work well and be really fun in multiplayer. And I'm liking the direction of the writing. It feels like they nailed the characters' personalities on the head. These are probably my favourite adaptions of Sonic characters in any media. 

Now what am I trying to say? Just try and look at the game from a different angle. Perhaps then you could try and appreciate the game more. This is a different universe, so it should be treated as such. You only have yourself to blame for expecting it to be similar to a project done by Sonic Team.

Edit: Yeah I'm sure I'm gonna piss off a lot of people with this reply but I just had to reinforce my thoughts on all this.

Edited by SwiftWinds
  • Thumbs Up 6

Fan's discontent with Boom doesn't center on it not being a main series entry.

It doesn't center on it doing something different.

It primarily centers on it looking like shit.

• Thumbs Up 5

No, the wording was telling enough.

Person; Boom's detractors' complaints are as arbitrary as saying the sky is blue (Despite many of said complaints being well-founded)

Frost; People are freaking out too quickly

Frost; We continue to work on, fix, improve and polish until the end

Nothing wrong with the last quote at all and indeed it is cool that this will be invested on the game. It's the first and second (The first in particular) that get me.

You seem to think that Frost was referring to the people who called the combat clunky and slow, and specific complaints like that. I think, though, that he was actually referring to the people who got upset not because the combat was slow, clunky, etc., but that it's present at all, when they said from the beginning that this was a far cry from a traditional Sonic game. In that case, complaining about the mere presence of combat now after gameplay footage has been shown as if they were expecting a regular Sonic game... yeah, I can kinda see where Frost is coming from.

• Thumbs Up 2