Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

So Lyric (really cool name, btw) is the leader of the robot army in these games. Where does this put Eggman, though? It wouldn't have bothered me if he was left out of the game, but in the Wii U footage, he's shown in his own mech and everything. How is he going to fit into these developments? Is he a rival to Lyric? Is he Lyric's underling that rebels against him later on? (Wouldn't that be a twist on the betrayal plot point.) Why is he even there?

This suddenly makes me more interested in SB's story. I wonder how everything will turn out in the end, considering that Lyric isn't supposed to be in the show.

I'm willing to give the game another chance to impress, but the game better have a lot more to offer beyond what we've seen.

This version looks really good and I'm so happy with all the personality and the little details they've added. I'm excited to meet Lyric, and to explore the worlds. I love the fact that this looks kinda like a dungeon crawler almost, fighting enemies, and working together in combat to defeat them. I am very excited to see how each character plays!!

I'm especially excited to see where this story is going...

I guess I have to buy a WiiU now.

Okay, so I saw many of the comments before I watched any footage and I'll be honest with everyone here, all this dissent was making me rather worried. All the mentions of the art style being dull, the combat being clunky, the characters being slower than you would expect from a Sonic game, to say that I was skeptical would have been a complete understatement. My thoughts basically could basically be summed up as 'oh, please Big Red Button, do not screw this up. Do not screw this up.' So, I load up Youtube and find the video with the Stephen Frost interview on it. And as I brace myself up for potential incompetence, my thoughts as I watch the footage are;

"I can live with this."

Yeah, not exactly a complete 180, but most of the pessimism I was having with this game has been quelled. Honestly, while I do see where most of the detractors are coming from, I have to say that I do indeed like what I see. True, this does not at all look like a typical Sonic game. Even for a spin-off it looks like a completely different game, but with Sonic characters.

And you know what? While it's not what I actually want, it honestly doesn't bother me all that much. I mean, sure, the art doesn't have the same visual vibrancy as what we got in games like Unleashed and Generations, but to me, it doesn't look bad. Like that jungle stage with the echidna statue. I liked the look of that stage. That 2D section where they showed off Amy's gameplay? I thought that looked pretty dang good as well.

As for the gameplay, I knew from the start that this was going to be more focused on combat. So, I was already expecting that we would see something like this. Yes, I would have liked to have seen some more footage that actually focused more on speed. However, I can't really say that I hate what I see. While the fighting does look on the slow side, I don't think it looks bad. I, like others it seems like, am wondering if the combat will be anything like the Werehog. By that, I wonder if it'll be slow-paced when you first play through the levels, but, assuming there might be some kind of level up system in place that gives you stronger moves that will of course allow you to take out your foes faster. Given that I find a leveled-up Werehog in Unleashed highly fun to play (because I'm weird like that), if Boom did something similar, I'd be cool with it. And while the characters do seem slower than I would like, which is off-putting, I'm not gonna lie, maybe there's a way to make them faster, like the aforementioned theoretical level-up system I briefly talked about.

Also, I like how it seems that Sonic is incorporating some combat moves in his homing attack. At least that's what I think he's doing at one point in the footage I saw. Hmm.

And from the looks of it, there's going to be at least some emphasis on exploration. And, being someone who loves exploring areas in video games, this could be right up my alley. I'd very much welcome that.

So, yeah, as cautious as it is, I still have hope and optimism for Sonic Boom. But even if I did think the game looked like complete shit, as I had initially feared, either way I'm not going to say for sure that it's a good/bad game until I've played it. I can praise/complain about parts of the game all I want and I probably will as the months go by, but I'm not one to judge a video game as a whole unless I've actually grabbed a controller to properly experience what it has to offer.

You can put me as still on the hype train, even if said locomotive is running on slightly less fuel than before.

• Thumbs Up 6

Exploration, Hub Worlds, Spin Dashing a ton, better models.

I'm not disappointed, I've always liked brawlers and fighting games in addition to Sonic.

Oh, and Lyric is an AWESOME enemy name. Props. 

• Thumbs Up 2

So, anyone think there'll be any pre-order bonuses?

As always, I sincerely hope so. Bonuses tend to happen with any kind of Sonic game these days, so it's likely. But a Special/Collectors/Limited Edition is what I'm really gunning for. Surely some of that huge budget must have gone into it? :P

Its not that there  will be preorder bonuses.

Instead everyone who does'nt preorder will recieve the you're to slow edition.

• Thumbs Up 1

That replaces Sonic's voice actor with Jason Griffith?

(ooh, no, that would be bad, those were dark times)

Once again, so glad I already have a Wii U. I'm loving literally everything about this game. Tad disappointed about the lack of a run button, but the gameplay looks more than interesting enough to make up for it. The enerbeam mechanic looks fun, and I've been waiting a long time for a Sonic game centered around exploration. Also, loved the lines in that preview; you can tell the voice actors were having a great time, and I never thought of hear something like"NOMNOMNOM" in a Sonic game.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm pleased to learn speedy gameplay won't only be in transition levels.  I forget what in particular but I've played a bunch of games in the past where I find "inbetweeny sections" gameplay more fun the regular stuff and am always like "aww, well, back to the grind..." when they're over.  Having said that, the regular gameplay is clearly paced so differently that this could just simply happen on a regular basis rather than before/after each level.

I just really hope the brawly combat isn't used as a crutch to pad out levels and that every combat situation will be carefully thought out to be different from the last one that had these same enemies etc.

• Thumbs Up 3

I think if they just sped up Sonic's base speed a bit, we wouldn't need a run button.

Right, I figured I should post my thoughts.

- The graphics look shit, but I don't know if that's just the low quality videos or what.

- The gameplay looks....boring. It seems like they're mostly attacking enemies with the same combos. The only thrill I got out of it was some of the shit Sonic was pulling off, but he's clearly not the only one you'll be playing as this time around, so eh. Amy's acrobatics look decent too. Other than that, snore.

- The animations on the characters actually look pretty good. I was surprised. Dialogue and humor and stuff seem decent too, but I wasn't really worried about that to begin with. 

...Yeah, I know this wasn't going to be a typical Sonic game, but on it's own it's not doing much for me either. It's not HORRIBLE but it's nothing worth getting excited about. It feels like if Sonic's face weren't on it I wouldn't even take a second glance at this. I'm also confused as to why people are comparing it to Sony's own platformers. They do a much better job of making themselves stand out than this.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm pleased to learn speedy gameplay won't only be in transition levels.  I forget what in particular but I've played a bunch of games in the past where I find "inbetweeny sections" gameplay more fun the regular stuff and am always like "aww, well, back to the grind..." when they're over.  Having said that, the regular gameplay is clearly paced so differently that this could just simply happen on a regular basis rather than before/after each level.

I just really hope the brawly combat isn't used as a crutch to pad out levels and that every combat situation will be carefully thought out to be different from the last one that had these same enemies etc.

I know we still haven't seen much, but that's certainly the feeling I get.

The transition levels look bland. It need more enemies or at least some npc's to pad it out with

If we've been shown a real imbalance of combat to the platforming and more fun gameplay, Boom could be redeemed yet. I really do not like the look of what we've seen, and if this combat does take up such a huge proportion of the game then the final product will be crap. But if there is more stuff to do and a way of moving faster then things could be turned right around.

This game is slow to the point of it being a huge detriment. Any other game that's as slow this would be criticised for it.

Hmmm, the way I see it, I still believe Sticks is going to be playable in this game, but obviously not in the main game since she has to be introduced, and bonds made, HOWEVER she might have a level or two in the story as story development near the end. Then I see her being playable in a replay mode, and in the competitive multiplayer, because the more diverse characters the multiplayer has, the more fun it can become

Heck, that's same reason I think that Eggman and Lyric could easily be playable in the competitive multiplayer, after being unlocked of cuorse

If we've been shown a real imbalance of combat to the platforming and more fun gameplay, Boom could be redeemed yet. I really do not like the look of what we've seen, and if this combat does take up such a huge proportion of the game then the final product will be crap. But if there is more stuff to do and a way of moving faster then things could be turned right around.

This game is slow to the point of it being a huge detriment. Any other game that's as slow this would be criticised for it.

It doesnt have to be a problem that theres alot of combat in the game if the combat is actually good.

So Lyric (really cool name, btw) is the leader of the robot army in these games. Where does this put Eggman, though? It wouldn't have bothered me if he was left out of the game, but in the Wii U footage, he's shown in his own mech and everything. How is he going to fit into these developments? Is he a rival to Lyric? Is he Lyric's underling that rebels against him later on? (Wouldn't that be a twist on the betrayal plot point.) Why is he even there?

This suddenly makes me more interested in SB's story. I wonder how everything will turn out in the end, considering that Lyric isn't supposed to be in the show.

I get the feeling he's a rival of Eggman's. I wouldn't be surprised if we get the old "Villain A wants to completely destroy the world while Villain B wants to conquer it" sort of thing here.

Given that Lyric's a reptile, I would not be surprised if we get the "Mammals Suck!" agenda from him. So while Eggman wants to lord over everyone and throw a lot of people in robots, Lyric outright is racist and wants to wipe out warm bloods.

Speculation, sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if this goes that route. The reptilian villain is almost always prejudiced against mammals.

• Thumbs Up 1

Little thing I don't know if everyone noticed. There's a 100 ring limit. In the footage of Knuckles climbing, he's picking up rings but they aren't added to the counter. Bearing in mind they act as a health system, this makes sense, But IIRC they also function as currency in the hub. Maybe you'll be able to upgrade the limit, thus both improving the 'health' and the wallet.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not entirely blown away with what I'm seeing here, but I can come away from what we got today feeling good about a lot of stuff.

for starters, it really does cement that they are carrying over the tone from the cartoon series, which is a huge win in my book. Every little tidbit I've heard from the cast over both the TV show and the game have put a smile on my face. Sonic nomming on rings and Knuckles stupid, yet endearingly delightful things in things observation were cue to me that the tone for this one is going to be right where it needs to be.

But what really is exciting is that this new version of the Doctor has the potential to be the best one yet (which is a very tall order mind you). I don't want to put the guy on a pedestal just yet, and with Lyric lording as the Big bad in this so far, Eggy probably won't get the screen time to make as much of a dent into that claim as I would like, but I'd be lieing if I didn't say that they NAILED the doctor. He's perfect and I can't wait to see his antics in motion. He is probably the best character in the franchise, and the NAILED him. From what we've seen and heard at least.

The character models look much better, but the graphic's arn't blowing me away. Little disappointed there. I also hope the combat isn't a one trick pony, where you can mash/enerbeam your way to victory. From the looks of things, the Enerbeam is horribly overpowered against the cannon fodder, and can be spammed to great effect. Who needs to trip up baddies with team tactics when wiping them around and throwing them is even easier and much more productive. I hope this is rectified by giving the scaling difficulty curve the ability to make your foes a little more intimidating (and I mean doing so by doing something other than giving everyone a shield). Lest we have a werehog problem on our hands

lets see where this goes.

• Thumbs Up 1

After today i wonder how Mr Frost feels having witnessed first hand just how vicious the Sonic fanbase can be.

• Thumbs Up 3

A reptillian themed villain? Well hopefully he'll be interesting and not another brainless MOTW.