Awoo.

Wii U discussion and upcoming news

Sean

While it's probably true, it's coming from the company which flat out denied the existence of the DS Lite a week before unveiling it. New hardware or no though, I'm pretty much expecting to be disappointed by their E3 offerings at this point.

Did the same happen to. The 3ds. The xl model was rumored didnt school how at e3 and then was announced in a direct near the end of the month

Say, I've been enjoying Punchout wii, and was wondering if the original or sequel were worth getting, note I only use classic controls, though I just realized, only the sequel is on the e-shop isn't it

Say, I've been enjoying Punchout wii, and was wondering if the original or sequel were worth getting, note I only use classic controls, though I just realized, only the sequel is on the e-shop isn't it

Punch-Out!! for the NES is on both the Wii U and 3DS Virtual Console, I believe. Definitely worth checking out as it still holds up surprisingly well to this day - and a lot of the tricks and patterns are the same as in the Wii version, so you'll feel right at home taking on many of the opponents.

Never played the SNES game myself, waiting for it to hit the Wii U Virtual Console in Europe. As far as I know, the NES and Wii games have the best reputations - the NES for being a timeless classic and the Wii for being a brilliant rebirth of the franchise - but Super Punch-Out!! is still a solid title from what little I've seen. I'd check them all out if you're interested, personally. It's a series that deserves lots of love, and with Little Mac in Smash Bros now, it's quite likely we'll see another game in the series at some point too.

Nintendo, please release Sonic Advance on the Wii U virtual console. If you don't, I'll cry.

That is the one game that I really really want from the GBA VC. I really want to play it but not really on an emulator. Off TV play would be amazing.

• Thumbs Up 3

If you have an iOS or Android device you can always play it that way...

...but if you're not in to playing games on touchscreens then ignore what I said. ^.^;;

I'd have thought Sonic Advance would be an obvious choice for the GBA VC.  If they have stuff like Castlevania: Aria Of Sorrow coming up, there's no reason they shouldn't have Sonic Advance.  Obligatory expression of displeasure at absence of GBA VC from 3DS.

Well there could be a problem since THQ no longer exists, and they originally published the games for North America. Europeans should have no problem though with anything, except Advance 3 and Battle.

• Thumbs Up 1

Trailer for the new quick boot menu that will arrive in a new system update due in June:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8czOjP-jaQc

Dat speed!

• Thumbs Up 1

Well there could be a problem since THQ no longer exists, and they originally published the games for North America. Europeans should have no problem though with anything, except Advance 3 and Battle.

...Okay, fair enough, I had no idea that it was that complicated.  I guess what I meant was that Sonic Advance is an unbelievably obvious third-party pick, and especially since it is already out on smartphones and so on.

That does seem much faster with the new update. The only thing is that is it just downloaded games on the fast boot or downloaded + disc?

There is a problem regarding European releases. From 2001 to 2003 and later on the GBA, Infogrames published various Sega games in Europe as well as Acclaim (Crazy Taxi, Virtua Cop Elite Edition, Virtua Tennis 2 PS2 version), Sony (Virtua Fighter 4, distributed Headhunter and Ecco PS2 versions), Microsoft (Shenmue 2 Xbox version and OutRun 2) and THQ. Infogrames became Atari and as far as I'm aware Atari (or that variation of the company since multiple companies had the Atari name) went bust not to long ago with Namco Bandai taking over the distribution side. The former boss of Infogrames now works at Danone, a yogurt company.

From my memory Infogrames published these Sonic games:

Sonic Advance

Sonic Adventure 2: Battle

Sonic Mega Collection

Sonic Advance 2

(Sonic Adventure DX was the first Sonic game to be published by Sega Europe after the Dreamcast)

Non-Sonic wise; they also published Gunvalkyrie, Jet Set Radio Future, Daytona USA 2001, Crazy Taxi 3, Super Monkey Ball, Sega Arcade Gallery, Virtua Striker 3 ver.2002, Beach Spikers, Sega GT 2002 and I think ToeJam & Earl 3 as well.

It is possible that Sega has the rights to the GBA games again for both North America and Europe though. After all Sonic Adventure 2 Battle has been released on PSN/XBLA/PC but since I don't have it, I don't know if it uses the original name or Battle on the title screen (even if after getting the "DLC").

That does seem much faster with the new update. The only thing is that is it just downloaded games on the fast boot or downloaded + disc?

Pretty sure I've read somewhere in the past that it's both, but don't hold me to that. I'm sure Nintendo will explain it during their E3 presentation, and probably set it live around the same time too.

So Would SEGA have to approach Bandai-Namco now to re-release Sonic Advance on VC? Awkwaaaard.....

There is a problem regarding European releases. From 2001 to 2003 and later on the GBA, Infogrames published various Sega games in Europe as well as Acclaim (Crazy Taxi, Virtua Cop Elite Edition, Virtua Tennis 2 PS2 version), Sony (Virtua Fighter 4, distributed Headhunter and Ecco PS2 versions), Microsoft (Shenmue 2 Xbox version and OutRun 2) and THQ. Infogrames became Atari and as far as I'm aware Atari (or that variation of the company since multiple companies had the Atari name) went bust not to long ago with Namco Bandai taking over the distribution side. The former boss of Infogrames now works at Danone, a yogurt company.

From my memory Infogrames published these Sonic games:

Sonic Advance

Sonic Adventure 2: Battle

Sonic Mega Collection

Sonic Advance 2

(Sonic Adventure DX was the first Sonic game to be published by Sega Europe after the Dreamcast)

Non-Sonic wise; they also published Gunvalkyrie, Jet Set Radio Future, Daytona USA 2001, Crazy Taxi 3, Super Monkey Ball, Sega Arcade Gallery, Virtua Striker 3 ver.2002, Beach Spikers, Sega GT 2002 and I think ToeJam & Earl 3 as well.

It is possible that Sega has the rights to the GBA games again for both North America and Europe though. After all Sonic Adventure 2 Battle has been released on PSN/XBLA/PC but since I don't have it, I don't know if it uses the original name or Battle on the title screen (even if after getting the "DLC").

It doesn't have the word "Battle" on the PSN release.

Also I didn't know there's a problem with Infogrames too. So yeah, we are currently screwed with the Advance series and Sonic Battle.

So Would SEGA have to approach Bandai-Namco now to re-release Sonic Advance on VC? Awkwaaaard.....

I'm certain it absolutely does not mean that.

While SEGA may have reached out to other publishers during those times, they still own the games and can do with them as they please. I don't know why everyone in this topic is suddenly up in arms thinking SEGA can't rerelease some of their games in certain territories.

• Thumbs Up 1

Trailer for the new quick boot menu that will arrive in a new system update due in June:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8czOjP-jaQc

Dat speed!

Anyone else notice that the Wii U updated menu doesn't have the bubbly Wii / "iPhone 3G"-esque gradient on the icons anymore? Hallelujah.

Can't wait for the update. It's gonna make using the console sooo much simpler.

• Thumbs Up 1

You do realise that is just the eight most recently played titles don't you?

That this just shows up before the menu when activated so you can easier get to a game without touching the menu?

The normal menu will still have what you call the "bubbly Wii / iPhone 3G-esque gradient" on the icons.

Either way, the ability to quick launch games will help me get into Mario Kart 8 quicker. And that will be all I need.

That this just shows up before the menu when activated so you can easier get to a game without touching the menu?

The normal menu will still have what you call the "bubbly Wii / iPhone 3G-esque gradient" on the icons.

Such sass. Much hostility. Wow.

How are you so certain that the recent apps icons will be different? That's quite inconsistent, isn't it? There's no good reason for or against it, so why are you giving Azoo that attitude as if he doesn't know what he's talking about?

I know it's not the new regular menu and all that. But what's in bold there doesn't make much sense to me. Why would they do that to the quickboot menu and not the regular menu too? If they were making it just for the quick menu then why not just make them bubbly too to save time? They look the same otherwise.

I just styled that response differently to how I would normally have done so.

Not meant to be hostile at all.

But I think, owing to the fact that this looks like it is the proper update, that the inconsistency will be there. I think, because it is just a quick menu, they made it more formal looking due to it not being seen as much as the normal menu.

Tempted to download something on my Wii-U this or next week, so I thought I'd post here for a recommendation. How's Child of Light? I've been hearing a lot about it lately, and watched the "Making Of" videos this morning. It looks pretty neat; a combination platformer/RPG sounds like it's up my alley, and the visuals are beautiful, though I'm not sure if I should just wait for an inevitable price drop/sale.

Tempted to download something on my Wii-U this or next week, so I thought I'd post here for a recommendation. How's Child of Light? I've been hearing a lot about it lately, and watched the "Making Of" videos this morning. It looks pretty neat; a combination platformer/RPG sounds like it's up my alley, and the visuals are beautiful, though I'm not sure if I should just wait for an inevitable price drop/sale.

I've heard almost unanimously good things about it, and I'm planning to download the game soon myself. Hopefully someone here has played the game on one system or another to offer you a proper recommendation, but in the meantime, you can always check out the various video reviews and footage on YouTube to see if it tickles your fancy.

I haven't been following discussion that much so sorry if we discussed this before.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kobunheat/status/464220159691878400/photo/1

Skylanders: Nintendo Edition actually seems like a really good idea. With the gameplay mechanic being an insane cash grab and bringing lots of success, a replication of this using Nintendo's properties is surely to bring lots of success. Nintendo has the advantage of having all the big names in the gaming industry so it will be easy to pull it off. Hell, imagine Pokemon using this system.

With the introduction of Mario Kart, previous releases of 3D World, Pikmin, and Donkey Kong, May's release of Mario Kart, and 2014's release of Smash bros and Bayonetta, the Wii U should be able to rebound a bit in sales. This Skylanders mechanic should also push sales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't been following discussion that much so sorry if we discussed this before.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kobunheat/status/464220159691878400/photo/1

Skylanders: Nintendo Edition actually seems like a really good idea. With the gameplay mechanic being an insane cash grab and bringing lots of success, a replication of this using Nintendo's properties is surely to bring lots of success. Nintendo has the advantage of having all the big names in the gaming industry so it will be easy to pull it off. Hell, imagine Pokemon using this system.

With the introduction of Mario Kart, previous releases of 3D World, Pikmin, and Donkey Kong, May's release of Mario Kart, and 2014's release of Smash bros and Bayonetta, the Wii U should be able to rebound a bit in sales. This Skylanders mechanic should also push sales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brought it up over here, and its, much better, and some ways bigger than skylanders as they aren't limiting it to 1 series of games, and its more like a specialized memory card for that matter 

full info

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/227847-nintendo-s-full-nfp-plans-detailed-in-english-e3-reveal-figurine-talk-nfc-usage-and-more

To establish new and growing areas through the active utilization of character IP, it is important for Nintendo to take risks ourselves and come up with interesting ways to use our character IP.

In other words, other than using character IP in Nintendo’s video game software, we need to start a new business that will someday become one of our core activities.

As Nintendo’s first step we have decided to release character figurines with built-in NFC functionality that are compatible with video games starting from this year-end sales season.

We are calling the figurines by their development codename, NFP, which comes from “NFC Featured Platform” and “Nintendo Figurine Platform.”

What is especially unique about NFP is that it is not classed as an accessory product of a certain software title but as a platform itself.

And it has been designed to be compatible with multiple software titles for Nintendo platforms.

In other words, the figurines, which consumers can buy and collect, are going to work with multiple software titles to be released in the future, and we are aiming to develop more software titles compatible with the figurines.

Nintendo has a lot of well-known character IP that has originated in video games, and we have been regularly releasing titles from game franchises that make use of this character IP. This is why I believe a brand-new type of platform will be born when the character IP becomes compatible with NFP.

NFP has a writer function as well as a reader function, so it can not only tell what character figurine is on the Wii U GamePad, but also a compact amount of data unique to each game can be written into it and read from it. That is to say, you will be able to customize your NFP to raise or train your own Nintendo characters, for example.

At E3 to be held in L.A. this June, we will announce which titles are compatible with NFP, display NFP products and disclose more specific information about NFP, which will be launched during this year-end sales season.

Currently, Wii U is the only video game platform with a built-in NFC reader/writer function. However, I understand that some of you may be worried that the market for NFP, a platform that will work with a number of software titles, will not grow large enough when it is compatible only with Wii U. If we can make a good use of Nintendo 3DS, which has already sold over 43 million units, however, this assumption will greatly change.

Nintendo has been developing an NFC reader/writer for the Nintendo 3DS family, as you can see on this slide, and we are planning to launch it in the first half of the next calendar year. This will make Nintendo 3DS compatible with the NFC reader/writer via infrared communication, and as a result, you will be able to read and write NFC data with the Nintendo 3DS device in the palm of your hand. That is to say, NFP is going to be compatible with Wii U software from this year-end, and compatible with both Wii U and Nintendo 3DS software from next year.

With the launch of this new product genre, NFP, which will be compatible with Wii U and Nintendo 3DS, is going to serve as the first example of actively utilizing our own character IP.

At the same time, there are not only going to be decorative boxes for video game hardware and packages for software, but also Nintendo character figurines displayed on store shelves. This will provide exposure for Nintendo, play a great role in raising our brand awareness and create more opportunities for consumers to play video games.

Link