Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Direct - April 8 [11PM BST / 6PM EST]

Carbo

So so... Here's an idea.

Does anyone else want to hear about the Stage Builder this time? I love the idea, but it was so poorly executed in Brawl...

They should let us be more precise. Like, we could edit the spawn points and blast zones. Also, the blocks they gave us to use were way too big. Even the "small" blocks were still pretty big.

Hackers proved that the stage piece limit Brawl had was practically pointless, or at least way to small.

It also needed more variation. Bral had such limited creativity for stage making. Most of them just consisted of a bunch of falling blocks.

Personally, I think it'd be cool if we could actually draw in stages. Whether it be the actual models, textures, backgrounds, whatever, it would open up so much opportunity for stages. It's definately a far-fetched idea, but both the 3DS and Wii U have touch screens, so it COULD be done..

Seroiusly though, MORE VARIETY is a must.

They probably could just take a page out of LittleBigPlanet to be honest. I mean I know stage building isn't the point of the game and is just a side dealeo, but having it somewhat structured like LBP would be pretty free flowing for creativity. Would be awesome if you could unlock more pieces to play with and whatnot as well.

I was thinking about the Miis a bit ago btw, and thought it'd be a super crazy awesome idea if they're inclusion revolved around something like a Create-a-Fighter mode. Like you can choose one of your many Mii's on your system as a starting point and kinda finangle their abilities, strengths, and unlockable gear/clothes/etc so they can be more "you" in a sense, since that's the whole point of Miis. I think that'd be the most interesting approach to them anyway, instead of them being like every other case where they're just thrown in as a standard all-around character of up-most blandness.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh gosh, it just now occurred to me.  Sakurai said way back when that they were planning some kind of customization thing that involved both versions of the game.  Or at least something along those lines.  We might actually get some idea of whatever the Hell they're planning with that in the Direct.

I was thinking about the Miis a bit ago btw, and thought it'd be a super crazy awesome idea if they're inclusion revolved around something like a Create-a-Fighter mode. Like you can choose one of your many Mii's on your system as a starting point and kinda finangle their abilities, strengths, and unlockable gear/clothes/etc so they can be more "you" in a sense, since that's the whole point of Miis. I think that'd be the most interesting approach to them anyway, instead of them being like every other case where they're just thrown in as a standard all-around character of up-most blandness.

I don't like this idea because Smash Bros. has always been about fighting Nintendo characters with other Nintendo characters. This may be an odd thing to say, but I think this is the only game I'd ever say this about. I DON'T WANT to play as myself.

Part of Smash's charm comes from all these characters coming together, and for players to interpret it in their own way. The Subspace Emissary in Brawl took away from this, since it gave concrete interactions between characters. Adding Miis would just make this game feel like a bad fan fiction.

EDIT: But character costumization in SOME FORM would be great!

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't like this idea because Smash Bros. has always been about fighting Nintendo characters with other Nintendo characters. This may be an odd thing to say, but I think this is the only game I'd ever say this about. I DON'T WANT to play as myself.

Well, Miis are Nintendo characters, of a sort. And you could always just not play as yourself if you don't want to.

Part of Smash's charm comes from all these characters coming together, and for players to interpret it in their own way. The Subspace Emissary in Brawl took away from this, since it gave concrete interactions between characters. Adding Miis would just make this game feel like a bad fan fiction.

Smash is already like bad fanfiction in that it's a ridiculous crossover, I don't see how Miis would make it any more so.

Well, Miis are Nintendo characters, of a sort. And you could always just not play as yourself if you don't want to.

Smash is already like bad fanfiction in that it's a ridiculous crossover, I don't see how Miis would make it any more so.

I think it's more of the fact that little kiddies are gonna play with their Darth Vader and Muhammad Ali Miis. That's freaking dumb. Gotta be honest. <.<

Also on a related note, the Wii Fit Trainer covers the Wii / Mii / Fit series so Miis being in this game as a form of representation is redundant. Not that Smash has ever cared. (LAND MASTER.)

I think it's more of the fact that little kiddies are gonna play with their Darth Vader and Muhammad Ali Miis. That's freaking dumb. Gotta be honest. <.<

Also on a related note, the Wii Fit Trainer covers the Wii / Mii / Fit series so Miis being in this game as a form of representation is redundant. Not that Smash has ever cared. (LAND MASTER.)

I kinda think that's the whole deal with Miis though. When they first were a thing, making Miis of various existing characters was a big deal to do on your new Wii for most people. Seeing Bowsers and Marios and Micheal Jacksons walk down your Mii...street...forgot what it's called...thing was pretty common. That aside, I just know there's a ton of people that'd probably get months of gameplay on end just from making various types of custom Mii fighters. They'd still be Nintendo characters, and I just think it'd make them a lot more pleasurable as a character slot to have that sorta niche about them than be a really boring generic standard character that just uses some bowling balls and hang gliders.

If that's all out the window though, I'd still like them to be the new polygons/wireframes in 1p mode.

• Thumbs Up 2

That bingo really makes me hope that the site does get updated.

It's so barren. Nothing but pretty pics that don't really mean much without context.

I got my Bingo card ready.

2tU5fTI.png

Heheh, I really need to make one of these myself, but I can agree with this one XD

admittedly we all have to agree K.Rool with his blunderbuss would be pretty sick... and the heaviest character in the game despite his awe-inspiring ultra-jump

Honestly I'd really like BOTH K. Rool and Dixie Kong in the game as playables. They both deserve the attention. I can't see it happening, but I'd love it if they were.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why do people like K rool so much?

He's a deranged crocodile with lots of personality, multiple different personas and a massive move pool, from some of the most popular games on the SNES

What's not to love?

It might just be because I never really played the donkey kong country games then, I do recall seeing someone play it though and K rool I think was the final boss (might've been DKC2 but not sure) but besides that I know absolutely nothing besides the fact that he was the villain of the series at some point.

I'm not a big fan of DK in general, but if there's one thing the Smash series needs, it's more playable villains. I suppose K Rool would fit the bill nicely.

I'd much rather have Hades or Medusa from Uprising though.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm not a big fan of DK in general, but if there's one thing the Smash series needs, it's more playable villains. I suppose K Rool would fit the bill nicely.

I'd much rather have Hades or Medusa from Uprising though.

Kid Icarus isn't that big of a franchise by comparison... People keep saying Hades all the time but I really can't see it... I can see maybe one new character from Kid Icarus and that'd probably be Palutena. I think Medusa would be more likely than Hades at that, at least she was the main antagonist of the original games, too. I don't think Hades ever appeared before Uprising.

That said, this is why I advocate for Grima rather than the Avatar. Neither of them are very interesting IMO, but at least if we got Grima we'd have a great moveset from the Avatar and we know what its Final Smash would be, too. Plus it'd fill the slot of an Awakening character.

Fire Emblem villains have never really been that interesting in general, to be honest. Probably the best FE villain was Zephiel. My personal second favorite was Lyon. Yeah, Sacred Stones wasn't considered as good but its the backstory of Lyon that makes me love him so much as a FE villain.

It might just be because I never really played the donkey kong country games then, I do recall seeing someone play it though and K rool I think was the final boss (might've been DKC2 but not sure) but besides that I know absolutely nothing besides the fact that he was the villain of the series at some point.

I grew up playing them. K. Rool wasn't merely the villain of the series at some point, he's the MAIN villain of the series. Except in Diddy Kong Racing, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, and Returns/Tropical Freeze, you were always fighting King K. Rool. That's in the original DKC games, the Donkey Kong Land games, DK64, King of Swing, Jungle Climber, Barrel Blast, and even in Mario Super Strikers. Donkey Konga is more questionable, I don't think those games even have antagonists, although he does appear in the first one.

The only DK games he doesn't appear in is Diddy Kong Racing, Jungle Beat, Konga 2-3, and the recent DKC comeback. And even in Diddy Kong Racing he was involved somewhat as he sent his Kremling Krunch to spy on Diddy Kong.

K. Rool has a huge moveset potential, he has lots of personality and is just totally epic. Its really sad that they dropped him in recent years and him coming back in Smash would be an awesome come back for King K. Rool.

• Thumbs Up 2

So the official SSB Facebook page which hasn't had a single update since E3 all of a sudden gave out a burst of updates just today. They added the trailers and artwork for Rosalina and Little Mac, added all of the other confirmed veterans and are adding Miiverse pics like Pikachu on top of DK or Luigi's nose every couple of minutes.

They really are trying to push this Direct as much as possible.

Kid Icarus isn't that big of a franchise by comparison... People keep saying Hades all the time but I really can't see it... I can see maybe one new character from Kid Icarus and that'd probably be Palutena. I think Medusa would be more likely than Hades at that, at least she was the main antagonist of the original games, too. I don't think Hades ever appeared before Uprising.

That said, this is why I advocate for Grima rather than the Avatar. Neither of them are very interesting IMO, but at least if we got Grima we'd have a great moveset from the Avatar and we know what its Final Smash would be, too. Plus it'd fill the slot of an Awakening character.

Fire Emblem villains have never really been that interesting in general, to be honest. Probably the best FE villain was Zephiel. My personal second favorite was Lyon. Yeah, Sacred Stones wasn't considered as good but its the backstory of Lyon that makes me love him so much as a FE villain.

I grew up playing them. K. Rool wasn't merely the villain of the series at some point, he's the MAIN villain of the series. Except in Diddy Kong Racing, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, and Returns/Tropical Freeze, you were always fighting King K. Rool. That's in the original DKC games, the Donkey Kong Land games, DK64, King of Swing, Jungle Climber, Barrel Blast, and even in Mario Super Strikers. Donkey Konga is more questionable, I don't think those games even have antagonists, although he does appear in the first one.

The only DK games he doesn't appear in is Diddy Kong Racing, Jungle Beat, Konga 2-3, and the recent DKC comeback. And even in Diddy Kong Racing he was involved somewhat as he sent his Kremling Krunch to spy on Diddy Kong.

K. Rool has a huge moveset potential, he has lots of personality and is just totally epic. Its really sad that they dropped him in recent years and him coming back in Smash would be an awesome come back for King K. Rool.

This, K.Rool is the iconic and classic villian of the entire DK series since DKC, only reason he wasnt in the new entires is because they wanted to give him a break, AND allow the new entries stand out on their own, you have to admit that if K.Rool and the Kremlings were the intial enemies, people would have called it a rehash of the original games, no matter how good it was. Now while everyone misses K.Rool, he will have a chance to return eventualy, given time, and future DK games

Now on the super smash bros note, he has been long overdue, he is as iconic to the DK SNES games as DK himself(actualy for that matter he was the main villian more than DK was even playable), and he could bring a unique and varied moveset to the game while being another villian addition, its just a matter of time, just like little Mac

And he has had plently of apperances

List of appearances by date[edit]

Title Description Release Date System/Format Donkey Kong Country Boss NPC 1994 Super Nintendo Entertainment System Donkey Kong Land Boss NPC 1995 Game Boy Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest Boss NPC 1995 Super Nintendo Entertainment System Donkey Kong Land 2 Boss NPC 1996 Game Boy Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! Boss NPC 1996 Super Nintendo Entertainment System Donkey Kong Land III Boss NPC 1997 Game Boy Donkey Kong 64 Boss NPC 1999 Nintendo 64 Super Smash Bros. Melee Cameo as a Trophy 2001 Nintendo GameCube Donkey Konga NPC 2003 Nintendo GameCube Donkey Kong Country (GBA port) Boss NPC 2003 Game Boy Advance Donkey Kong Country 2 (GBA port) Boss NPC 2004 Game Boy Advance DK: King of Swing Boss/Unlockable Playable Character 2005 Game Boy Advance Donkey Kong Country 3 (GBA port) Boss NPC 2005 Game Boy Advance Donkey Kong Barrel Blast Unlockable Playable Character 2007 Wii DK: Jungle Climber Boss NPC 2007 Nintendo DS Super Smash Bros. Brawl Cameo as Trophy and Sticker 2008 Wii Mario Super Sluggers Unlockable Playable Character 2008 Wii

I'm not gonna go ahead and do a bingo card but mine includes:

-FE character reveal

-Retro character reveal

-More veterans

-Items

-Stage footage

-New Final Smashes

-Moveset changes (ala Bowser)

-New gameplay mechanic

-Info on story-esque mode

-Customization info

-Connectivity between 3DS / Wii U Info

-Release date

I bet we're just gonna get one character though. The rest is possible.

I'm kinda thinking it'll more be focused on a brand new mode and/or further explanation 1p/online. Characters are fun and stuffs, but I'd honestly prefer kinda a chilled "sit down" of showing everyone how the game functions and what's to look forward to in that regard, and then close it off with a release date, or estimate at least. I can see talk of maybe reintroducing final smashes as well, since they've been shown but not really explained. I'm sure mostly everyone knows about them but that just seems like a deal they'd do *shrugs*. Would also make up for not showing a character, or something more than another veteran or something.

So I guess personally I'd like:

-details on 1p modes

-something new that doesn't overtake the spotlight of the normal game, but a pretty big new additional mode of some sort, 1p or multiplayer.

-final smashes of various revealed characters

-music, and composers this time around

-more updated revealed characters in regard of moves, etc (a stretch but shh)

-maybe just revealing the rest of the oldest vets to get them out of the way

-just a straight up 2 minute match with no strings attached

Not that I'm expecting everything there, or even any of it, but personal wishes I guess since we're all doing it lawl

• Thumbs Up 1