Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Direct - April 8 [11PM BST / 6PM EST]

Carbo

On the subject of Pac-Man and the lack of moves he could have.  I've gotta ask, why should he be limited to the Pac-Man games?  Instead of representing just the Pac-Man series, Pac-Man could represent the entirety of Namco.  For his neutral special Pac could pull out a Galaga ship to shoot, grab could be the pump from Dig Dug, the Soul Edge could be worked into one of Pac's smash moves.  Pac-Man is pretty versatile if you approach him from a different direction.

• Thumbs Up 1

Are we really talking about personalities when half of these characters barely have a personality to being with?

• Thumbs Up 2

All I have to say on the matter is that, iconic status aside, I'd have no problem with seeing Pac-Man on the grounds that I'm confident Sakurai and his team would be able to come up with a creative enough moveset to make him seem unique and interesting as a character in Smash.

Personaly, I would take Digdug over Pacman, but thats me

I would honestly like klonoa but the chances of him getting  in are close to none.

Lloyd's our boy!

He would be perfect as a Namco rep; His game got re-released, the Tales game play like a Smash brother game and he's pretty popular.

Lloyd's our boy!

He would be perfect as a Namco rep; His game got re-released, the Tales game play like a Smash brother game and he's pretty popular.

I could go with this, sides the tales of series does seem like the second most popular series namco has right now.

I could go with this, sides the tales of series does seem like the second most popular series namco has right now.

Second most? What's the most? I doubt its Pac-Man considering all the hate Pac-Man gets, Pac-Man just gets a lot of attention due to being Namco's mascot.

Second most? What's the most? I doubt its Pac-Man considering all the hate Pac-Man gets, Pac-Man just gets a lot of attention due to being Namco's mascot.

Well I did think it was pac man (might not be the case though).

Tekken and to an extent, Soul Calibur.

Why are we talking about a "Namco rep" when Sakurai already said they aren't getting special treatment in terms of characters?

I mean if Pac Man gets in, I'd imagine it's because he's a popular choice. Not because of Namco. We don't call Sonic the SEGA rep, or Mega Man the Capcom rep.

Why are we talking about a "Namco rep" when Sakurai already said they aren't getting special treatment in terms of characters?

They still can have one Namco character one.

I think Sakurai mean there won't be too much Namco related characters or stuff in the game.

Guys guys. How 'bout we get somebody actually important to Nintendo?

Like.... uhm...

Are there any significant Nintendo IPs that lack representation in Smash Brothers?

Custom Robo, Advance Wars, Golden Sun, that's about all I can think of.

actualy, didnt all three have assit trophys? but ya they could all use a playable rep, and nothing wrong with hoping

Give me Bayonetta.

If you know what I mean.

For real, though. I think she'd be to play

with *twitch* as.

As for Nintendo IPs, Isaac from Golden Sun is one I want. I guess Advance Wars, but I just don't see that one happening. Not a Nintendo IP, but I'm hoping for Simon Belmont from Castlevania. And Mii should be in, I think.

I'm not keen on the idea of Pacman being in there as another third party rep. I know he's an important videogame icon (of the past), but I think you're more likely to see Mametchi or Klonoa in there as a Namco Bandai rep. Hell even Snake is more likely than Pacman!

actualy, didnt all three have assit trophys? but ya they could all use a playable rep, and nothing wrong with hoping

Custom Robo did not, but the other two did.

Give me Bayonetta.

If you know what I mean.

For real, though. I think she'd be to play

with *twitch* as.

As for Nintendo IPs, Isaac from Golden Sun is one I want. I guess Advance Wars, but I just don't see that one happening. Not a Nintendo IP, but I'm hoping for Simon Belmont from Castlevania. And Mii should be in, I think.

I still think Advance Wars is MORE likely than Golden Sun (and I think both are very likely). Again, especially with it appearing that Snake isn't back. Advance Wars has far more games than Golden Sun does and has been around far longer.

Well, the Advance Wars series is four games (which is already more than Golden Sun), but the Advance Wars series is part of the Nintendo "Wars" series as a whole, starting off way back on the Famicon as Famicon Wars, and there were also Super Famicon Wars and Game Boy Wars. Its just that with the release of Advance Wars and that coming to the west, they kept the Advance Wars branding and stopped changing the name based on console.

And I still say that instead of getting a new Konami rep, its either Snake or bust.

Still don't get where Sakurai's statement prevents any Namco appearing at all. I thought it simply implied that Namco won't get special treatment and for us not to expect a lot of Namco characters, not outright denying any Namco characters in. Still say the best choice would be Lloyd Irving, but whatever the case I'm fine with no Namco characters as well.

Wait, wasn't Issac an Assist trophy? That one that shoots giant hand things?

I was meaning as playable characters anyways, I don't give a shit about assist trophy reps.

Uh, there was a Ray Mk. III Assist Trophy.

Oh... Sorry, I missed that one. I guess you're right.

Wait, wasn't Issac an Assist trophy? That one that shoots giant hand things?

I was meaning as playable characters anyways, I don't give a shit about assist trophy reps.

That's not the point. The point is that because they WERE Assist Trophies, they have a HIGHER chance of getting in as playable characters. It was stated in an interview that many Assist Trophies were considered for playable character representation and Assist Trophy is basically one step down from playable character.

Little Mac was an Assist Trophy, too. Now he's playable. That's also another reason why I keep bringing up Lyn. Not only is she the first FE character the west ever saw, she'd be a very unique sword fighting character.

EDIT: I'm not saying all Assist Trophies were considered for playable, nor am I saying that they'll all be playable. But it does greatly increase chances of said characters making it as playable this time.

• Thumbs Up 1

To me, it says they weren't considered important enough to be a roster character, so they just made them into a cameo item.

I wouldn't expect Custom Robo, but possibly Golden Sun. I'm not sure how big of a thing Golden Sun is though.

I don't think being "big" is really necessary for Nintendo IPs, but more over if they work. I don't think anyone was asking for ROB or Mr. Game and Watch at the time, and I think people were pretty surprised by Pit as well when Brawl was announced. I just think if they have the room/time and they're super functional as smash characters, they prolly have just as fair chance as any. The "if they're big enough" deal probably only applies to if they're a priority to be in the game or not over another new character. Like I'm sure Little Mac was a bigger deal to get into the game than Isaac or something if they were down to the wire on time.

I guess if we're running the circle on discussion again, I'm still really not sold on Pacman being a character simply because I just think there's better options and the idea of him being a full fledged fighter seems forced. Like others have mentioned in the past, he'd probably make a super cool assist trophy or level even. I know he's had 3D adventure games and the works, but I'm positive a majority of fans just like his classic arcade days, and I guess to me that just feels more of a one-trick pony deal, so again assist/level or something *shrugs*.

I'd really love Simon Belmont, or something super creative like Phoenix Wright or Professor Layton. I could almost expect that last two there since I've noticed a lot of these new comers are pretty complex compared to say the N64 veterans in uniqueness. They seem like they'd fight with wit and/or other means, not using their fists or feet. I guess I think of like Olimar in likeness to odd gameplay. I'd personally love Chibi Robo though, and I'm not even sure why. I've never played the games or anything but I just think it's super neat lmao.

But for new characters I'm more expecting just further reps of series that are already in the game to be honest. I guess anything goes but just examples being like King K. Rool, Krystal, etc, or even spin off representation like Paper Mario being his own thing or something.

To me, it says they weren't considered important enough to be a roster character, so they just made them into a cameo item.

I wouldn't expect Custom Robo, but possibly Golden Sun. I'm not sure how big of a thing Golden Sun is though.

Eh, thats kinda the overcynical side, the other side of the coin is that its characters that they considered important, and were able to start development of, but when push came to shove due to time constraints they simply made them trophies because they didnt have time to put them fully in the game.

So ya, I see them as characters that Sakurai would like in the game(especialy in Brawls case), but cant due to time and balancing constraints, but have a much higher chance next game, especialy when they are major characters

Golden sun is a major Nintendo Handheld IP, same as Advance Wars, which is one of the things that helps their likelihood, since there are only a handful of major handheld primarily IPs that arent in SSB