Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog (sponsored by PowerVerte)-Fin, PAGE 150

Dr. Crusher

Question #17: What was your favourite mission in Shadow the Hedgehog... that DIDN'T involve simply getting to the end of the level?

favourite mission in Shadow the Hedgehog

favourite mission

in Shadow the Hedgehog

That's like choosing the least painful way to die.

But seriously. if I can actually remember anything from Shadow, it would probably be Digital Circuit's "Destroy the core" mission. Awesome music, cool aesthetics, and a pretty fun level to progress through. It doesn't feel like a chore like other levels, IMO. I really wish I could remember more about it. Wasn't there a section near the end that needed you to climb up poles, because I thought that was neat. Unless that was just for the Emerald mission, pfft.

Oh wait, I think this counts as linear? Dammit, there's really no other levels I actually enjoyed/care to remember. Best one I could probably think of is Prison Island's 5 Disc mission with Charmy.

Edited by TheCakeMeister
  • Thumbs Up 2

That's like choosing the least painful way to die.

That's why they call me Dr. Crusher. I crush everyone's hopes and dreams.

• Thumbs Up 9

Day 17: What was your favourite mission in Shadow the Hedgehog... that DIDN'T involve simply getting to the end of the level?

Ohohoho...I actually have a couple. if you don't mind.

First would be Digitial Circuit's Hero Mission. Essentially you're trekking through the United Federation's internet mainframe and what not, to find...a Chaos Emerald? Yeah, you're finding a powerful gem through the internet, go figure.

Second would be Circus Park's Hero Mission; which is to simply collect 400 Rings that has been 'stolen' from Dr. Eggman to seemingly create this dastardly park. I found the minigames of sorts to be fun, and provides a nice little distraction from the 'destroy 'X' number' kind of missions in the game. 

Lastly would be another Hero Mission, but this time for Space Gadget. You're racing against Sonic to capture the Emerald, which to me gives you an extra challenge; as usually through a good part of ShTH's levels it would take you MORE than 5 minutes on average to complete a level.

Day 17 Challenge: Favorite Shadow The Hedgehog mission

16/30 Completed Challenges

Note to Dr. Crusher: I hope I didn't come off as rood/stupid earlier!

WHAT.jpg
...What?

Oh, yes... I see... Today's question is quite something. Well, I'll just say that even though I really don't like Shadow, I did manage to enjoy some of the missions. What's this? Not point A to B missions? Pffftt.... Please. I did enjoy some missions that weren't those. 

shadow-the-hedgehog-20051103050646451.jp

It's time to blow some aliens ships up!

Yeah, I'm bringing this mission up. Why? Because blowing up the aliens ship is so satisfying. Again, while I don't like the Shadow game much at all, whenever I do play it I usually do the hero missions, and this is one mission I can say I did at least enjoy. You think I'm going to let this filthy aliens do what they want in my city? No. You think I'm going to let them fly this weird looking alien ship around in my city? No! I'm blasting it! That's exactly what I mostly like about this mission! You (Shadow) and Sonic are working together to actually get rid of this trash. I just really hope that if you do this mission then you actually complete it, if not then Sonic will end up saying "Damn, they got away!", and that's no good. (Seriously, why was cursing needed in this game?!) 

Also, I really do enjoy the music for this level. It's one of the few songs in the game that I can honestly say that I remembered and is worth listening to over and over again. 

EDIT 2: I decided to remove the Vector mission where you have to Find the Computer Room. I kinda failed to realize that it was also a point A to B type mission, and to make my post stay more in line with Dr. Crush day 17 challenge, decided to just get rid of this. smile.png 

Now... Originally I was going to talk about other missions from other Sonic games since I received permission from Dr. Crusher, but then after looking around... I'm not sure if bringing up every single last mission in Sonic Generations HD bringing up a few missions in Sonic Generations or even the missing Chao missions in Sonic Adventure 2, or even bringing up the various missions in Sonic Unleashed HD where you have to help different people out were good enough to talk about, so I'm just going to really end it with those two Shadow The Hedgehog missions since they at least answer today's challenge...

Edit 1: 

But seriously. if I can actually remember anything from Shadow, it would probably be Digital Circuit's "Destroy the core" mission. Awesome music, cool aesthetics, and a pretty fun level to progress through. It doesn't feel like a chore like other levels, IMO.

I knew I was forgetting a  third mission. Yeah, this one is a dark mission, but I really didn't mind this mission, especially since it's inside a level that's quite interesting (yes, a little praise for Shadow The Hedgehog here). 

17/30 Challenges Completed

• Thumbs Up 2

So Digital circuit it is. Why, it's one of the few stages I actually looked forward to playing, 2-3 different times, I mean seriously, the music was fantastic, the gimmicks of the firewalls could be unfair at times, but still it's one of the faster paced stages in the game, but yah that uphill climb took me like 10 minutes on my first try.

Honorable mentions:

Sky troops: Only the music was really good, although I did get a kick out of destroying Eggman's ships when you had Eggman's mission selected.

Cosmic Fall: Again music, not much else.

Gun Fortress: I liked the music and felt like a total badass trying going headfirst into Gun's fortress, even with it's horrid design and multiple gaps.

Edit: Oh the missions, sheesh I haven't played the game in ages, ok I'll just throw in the dark mission for sky troops, for the above reason. "I get a kick out of destroying Eggman's ships when you had Eggman's mission selected."

So Digital circuit it is. Why, it's one of the few stages I actually looked forward to playing, 2-3 different times, I mean seriously, the music was fantastic, the gimmicks of the firewalls could be unfair at times, but still it's one of the faster paced stages in the game, but yah that uphill climb took me like 10 minutes on my first try.

Honorable mentions:

Sky troops: Only the music was really good, although I did get a kick out of destroying Eggman's ships when you had Eggman's mission selected.

Cosmic Fall: Again music, not much else.

Gun Fortress: I liked the music and felt like a total badass trying going headfirst into Gun's fortress, even with it's horrid design and multiple gaps.

I'm talking about the missions in the levels, not the levels themselves.

First would be Digitial Circuit's Hero Mission. Essentially you're trekking through the United Federation's internet mainframe and what not, to find...a Chaos Emerald? Yeah, you're finding a powerful gem through the internet, go figure.

Lastly would be another Hero Mission, but this time for Space Gadget. You're racing against Sonic to capture the Emerald, which to me gives you an extra challenge; as usually through a good part of ShTH's levels it would take you MORE than 5 minutes on average to complete a level.

When I was younger and played this mission I really didn't find much of a problem finding that room for Vector. Maybe it's a stretch to say this is a "favorite" mission of mine, but I certainly wouldn't classify it as a mission I hate seeing how I don't have to kill a specific amount of enemies and whatnot. Also, it's Vector! Who doesn't enjoy trying to help this character out?! Let's find that Computer Room!

Not that it matters too much since you both mentioned other missions that weren't examples of such, but I count these three as "get to the end" missions. tongue.png

Snap, crackle, and pop... =/ 

A part of me now want to edit that out of my post to make it more in line with your question...x_x

Couldn't we just have done "missions from the Sonic series in general?"

There are at least three of four in Sonic Generations that I enjoyed.

...No. mellow.png

Let's face it, almost everyone would have immediately picked the "get to the end" ones, and much like the whole "SA2 Egg Walker doesn't count" deal for the Egg Mobile question not too long ago, I wanted to spice things up and hope that not every answer would be the same thing.

EDIT: Oh, you mean in all the games, sorry. I suppose that could have worked, but I felt that ShtH in particular would be a rather intense one to focus specifically on, hoho.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 17: Favorite Shadow mission that isn't about getting to the end of the level.

This game really sucks and my memory of it is kind of fuzzy, but I'm gonna say the Hero mission in Air Fleet.

The objective is to beat the aliens. There isn't anything special about this in itself, but I noticed something absurd about the stage, that being the fact that the AI controlled version of Tails is one of the most overpowered things in the game. I think his Tail whip/corkscrew thing he does hits multiple times in succession, but whatever the case, it did a LOT of damage when I played. It's really strangely amusing to watch him take out enemies with a lot of health in a fraction of the time it takes you without strong weapons. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Question #17: What was your favourite mission in Shadow the Hedgehog... that DIDN'T involve simply getting to the end of the level?

The hero mission with Tails in the Circus Park. I mainly replayed it just because I like collecting things. Also, the level is actually colorful and looks like it belongs in a Sonic game. 

That's at least what I remember replaying. I haven't played ShTh in a looooooong time and don't plan to. 

PRESIDENT CROW'S DAY 17 OF SHADOW LEVELS!

Shadow doesn't offer much variety between its missions. Its either kill X amount of enemies, collect X, or get from point A to B and most of it can be tedious. But with that said since now I am stating the obvious, I'm gonna answer the question with...

FileShadow_air_fleet.png

Assassinating the President! (Air Fleet)

This is it. You're going to be the one who shot JFK and prove to your Alien Overlord that your a bad enough dood to defeat the heroes. And this is unique like Iron Jungle's mission where you have to shoot down a specific target, in this case the President. And man its pretty bad ass in theory as Shadow busts in and goes on a killing spree and kills...Giant robots. You have plenty of resources to shoot it down but you gotta be fast about it too since he will get away. It even gets to a point where if you wait too long, you go down an evaluator and stare down the plane while shooting at it. The President does survive the ordeal somehow (thankfully) and gets protection from G.U.N. at that point but still for Shadow to go hunt down the president like that really crosses the line for some. And because of that I'm putting it out there, though I don't approve of assassinations of political leaders. Its just something that Shadow is willing to prove that he can be evil and help the bad guys and boy does he try to cross that line with large strides.

And I hope this post isn't too soon or offensive cause of what you do. D:

It's really strangely amusing to watch him take out enemies with a lot of health in a fraction of the time it takes you without strong weapons.

Not that this is rare in the Sonic series.

Defeating Robotnik robots and Iblis minions with only a hammer: Big success.

Defeating Robotnik robots and Iblis minions with telekinesis: Takes fucking forever.

I've never played Shadow the Hedgehog. The only knowledge I have of the game is from playthroughs that which I barely even pay attention to. So I can't answer this question properly :\

If I had to chose a mission like this from another Sonic game though, I suppose it has to be Knuckles' stages from SA1. They're pretty quick levels to get through and Knuckles' overall playthrough is very short. The levels are a really good size for his type of gameplay. Even if they feel a bit boxed in, they're not too big so you get lost or too small so you have some breathing room.

...this counts for the day, right?

I only played ShtH for the first few months of its release because I was a dummy and got the Xbox edition right before the console just kinda crapped out on us. As a result, I can't remember my play experience all that well, so I'm going to go with a choice from another game:

Zonshen's Quest from Sonic Unleashed (you never specified whether or not quests counted =P, and I don't have another choice that isn't "get to the end" so poo to you I wanna talk about this baby). It's a series of day and night speed and collectible-based missions that furthers the little sidestory of the dude you rescued from the Dark Gaia Phoenix. In return for doing so, he tries to get rid of the Werehog with all manner of medicines and techniques, none of which of course work. As a result he loses hope, so you're entrusted to find a protege to spark some passion back into him.

I really liked this mission for the cartoony scenarios it presents (Sonic suffered through acupuncture techniques, pressure point therapy, and all other manner of foolishness, and Zonshen at one point threw his back out), the characterization of Zonshen and his grandchildren through missions specified to help him back on the right path, the funny jerking around of protege Charles (the grandkids refused to let him learn anything before doing some favors for them. Blackmail ftw), and how two people with completely different approaches to their practice of medicine (homeopathic and empathetic vs. scientific and detached) learn to settle into a routine and work together. It ends on a hopeful note, with Zonshen holding out hope that Charles will grow into a better doctor under his guidance.

Ultimately, it was the quest that best characterized the fun and lighthearted spirit of Unleashed, part of that being how different people of completely different circumstances can come together and form genuine bonds, even if there are comical missteps along the way. I make sure to play through the whole thing every time I start up a new game.

You're asking me to like something from ShtH? Eugh.

I guess the dark mission for GUN Fortress, destroying the 3 computer...things...is not too bad, if only because the mission is relatively unobtrusive and the level is among the closest to qualifying as fun (also, "not ugly"). There's a fair amount of running and jumping, and it basically rains those Bigfoot-style mechs, which drop those ridiculously good machine guns, which can tear through basically anything you come across without issue.

The one mission in Eggman's base where you have to activate his five defense thingers is probably my runner up, and for similar reasons, though it's uglier and there aren't many good weapons.

If I had to chose a mission like this from another Sonic game though, I suppose it has to be Knuckles' stages from SA1. They're pretty quick levels to get through and Knuckles' overall playthrough is very short. The levels are a really good size for his type of gameplay. Even if they feel a bit boxed in, they're not too big so you get lost or too small so you have some breathing room.

...this counts for the day, right?

Weeeellll... This is really stretching, but because the level select in Adventure 1 had that Rank C/Rank B/Rank A "mission" setup, I suppose I can let you get away with this answer. Just barely. tongue.png (Might want to mention a specific level or two and their missions, though.)

Day 17: Best Non-Get to the Goal Missions in Ow the Edgehog!

This game is something of a huuuge guilty pleasure of mine, so this question doesn't give me any trouble at all aside from the fact I haven't played it in a few years. You won't be Crushering me this time, Doctor! ...That sounded better in my head. AHEM. I actually have a few missions in mind here...

Hero mission in Prison Island

Shadow_prison_island.png

Look, maybe it's just because I like the level (well, mostly from a narrative point of view, but as a level it's okay too), but I didn't mind finding the ~top secret disks~ for Charmy.

Hero mission in Circus Park

Shadow_circus_park.png

I like collecting Rings.

...Yep.

Dark mission in Lava Shelter

Shadow_lava_shelter.png

Lava Shelter is probably my favourite level in the game (tied with Circus Park, anyhow). No matter which mission I pick, it was always fun to play through. But the mission I enjoy the most is activating Eggman's defense systems, raising the lava in each area. They get progressively difficult but not to a ridiculous extent, and overall it's just good fun for me!

It's weird that you still fight Eggman after that, though. Should've been one of the other semi-final bosses. Eh.

And last but not least...

The Hero missions in The Doom AND Lost Impact

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=davZUC5BHWE

Aside from that fact that I genuinely don't mind these missions at all (especially The Doom's hero mission)...I dunno, something about Maria being the partner character was sweet. Also her slaps are super strong. Like, ridiculously strong for a normal human child. She's also capable of teleportation. On top of all that, she can use those dash panels and springs without hurting herself. What is your secret, Maria?!

...Also G.U.N. forces don't attack you in Lost Impact, according to that video. I...didn't remember that? Weird.

• Thumbs Up 1

You won't be Crushering me this time, Doctor! ...That sounded better in my head.

Element 2: The Crushering.

Being a Dark mission aside (and yes, I'm well aware about the irony of that when the mission relates to Robotnik... what can I say, I... really like saving the world?), I do enjoy the Dark mission in Lava Shelter as well, if only because of the platforming parts that make me childishly refer to it as "the Gnasty Gnorc level", like I mentioned previously.

As for the G.U.N. Soldiers (apparently) not shooting you in Lost Impact... giving the game designers the benefit of the doubt and assuming that it wasn't unintentional, maybe they realised that it would make even less sense for them to shoot at Shadow since the G.U.N. attack on the A.R.K. didn't happen at that point.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 17: Favorite mission in Shadow the Hedgehog that doesn't involve getting to the end.

queen_elsa_meme_by_babybear_lovesfrozen-

Well this was one topic I wasn't expecting. I guess I'm gonna have to go with finding the discs in Prison Island. The mission wasn't as tedious as the other ones in the game and plus it was pretty cool revisit a stage from a past game and see what has become of it after Sonic Adventure 2.

• Thumbs Up 5

That canyon level where you have to activate the gems for the dark mission. It's basically a get-to-the-goal-ring mission as is.

I think sky troops' hero mission was destroying them later on, so that's a nice connection. Unfortunately it means the level design is EXACTLY THE FUCKING SAME at some points.

Question #17: Favorite non-traditional Shadow mission

There's actually a few I can think of that I particularly enjoyed, and most of them are for a rather weird reason - for all of ShTH's issues, it's a (seldom done) hobby of mine to go back to the game, play a series of levels I haven't done yet (and thereby unlock a story name), and try to envision what goes on in Shadow's mind as he goes through the levels, changing affiliations on a whim. Between being egged on by Sonic and his friends to do something, and being ordered by Eggman or Black Doom to do another, its fun for me to think of what Shadow himself is thinking about during and in between the levels. It's a reason year ago, and my opinion on it still stands - whether you have Shadow destroy GUN's central computers, or have him go all Dragon-With-An-Agenda and get to the Chaos Emerald, the most important part is the cutscene beforehand, where Shadow at last believes he's making the right decision as per Gerald's wishes, for better or worse.

With that in mind, my favorite mission in ShTH, and I know people are going to look at me funny for it, is the Hero Mission for Lost Impact.

The longevity of the mission is tirade-inducing, the labyrinth that is the ARK puts Sonic Labyrinth itself through the ringer, but even still, Maria's mission in Lost Impact for me shows one of, if not the only instance of what a "non-manipulated" Shadow looks like. The entire level is a flashback, and so it and one cutscene in SA2 (and possibly The Doom) are the only times we see what Shadow is like without being hell-bent on revenge, an amnesiac, or a memory-exasperated ragequitter. And what we see is a Shadow with a caring heart that would do anything for Maria and Gerald. Pre-series Shadow here even provides a direct contrast to Gun Fortress Shadow - where the latter is a dark entity molded by Black Doom's manipulation who believes Gerald's words ring in line with the Black Arms motivations, Lost Impact/Real Shadow is shown via an accidentally recovered memory and is seen as a true progenitor of an idealized Sonic himself - speedy, seems aloof on the outside, but is still concerned for those in trouble, albeit with a more limited scope on who needs his help foremost.

And thinking on it, the gameplay of the Hero Mission is actually justified given Past Shadow's characterization that I've theorized. Think Past Shadow is just as impatient as Present Shadow and wants to get stuff done and get Maria out? Nuh-uh, not only is Maria in trouble, so is everyone on the ARK. Maria asks Shadow to save everyone, not just herself, from the threat of the rogue Artificial Chaos? Shadow is going to search every nook and cranny of this enormous colony to make sure this threat is quelled - Maria is everything to Shadow, to the point that at this time, Maria's wishes take greater precedence than even her well-being. The actions of the GUN AI Celestia mentioned adds a nice touch on all of this - Shadow is known by everyone on the ARK, to the point that they wouldn't fire at him because he's seemingly taking the lead scientist's granddaughter. They trust him enough to take her to safety and for them to focus on the Artificial Chaos, and Shadow repays that trust by taking the Chaos down when GUN's in a corner.

It's as if the gameplay and AI of the game were catered to this one specific moment, and with that beautiful piano medley playing through it, to me it feels like Lost Impact's Hero Mission guides you through the long process of eliminating the rogue Chaos, while at the same time showing you what Shadow truly was without spelling it out - a protector, a hero, a friend. That's what makes it my favorite Shadow mission overall.

--------------------------

As for missions that don't carry psychological undertones or emotional baggage, and is just great purely for the gameplay itself, my pick is both of Iron Jungle's Hero and Dark Missions. You can practically go through the level and swap between missions on a whim and still get it done before hitting the goal - the Bigfoots may be a pain for Eggman, but those guns of theirs Shadow can equip to shoot down the Egg Balloon are a greater pain still. The whole level just feels like a giant blitzkrieg against both the Eggman Empire and GUN, and its just great.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not sure which mission is my favorite. I guess the Hero mission in Cryptic Castle? I always found it weird that someone like Dr. Eggman would have a Chao Garden in one of his hideouts*, or that Cream was just exploring the castle despite the badniks, ghosts, and Black Arms all over the place.

*Yes, I know the Egg Carrier had a Chao Garden. That still doesn't make the one in Cryptic Castle any less incongruous.

I would probably have to go with lethal highway's hero mission on this one, not only is it letting me have a team up with my favorite two characters but you also get to have what's essentially a high speed chase with a flying space ship while trying to destroy it which is honestly pretty awesome in my book (also even though they are useless, I liked being able to use shadow's bike in this mission).

Kyurem, son, the Chao are experimented on for research and future, Badnik-related purposes. Obviously.