Awoo.

Gabz Girl

Wasabi looks like he got fucked up good before filming started.

This movie is looking awesome. Will Disney do well executed action scenes though?

Disney's proven in the past they can pull off action scenes rather well. Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Treasure Planet, and even Bolt are glaring examples.

Pretty sure Disney can handle action scenes easy. Like Felix said previous Disney movies have done action really well, and they can also look at The Incredibles for inspiration.

And those character designs for Honey Lemon and Wasabi are great, though I'm surprised at how mature Honey Lemon looks. I was expecting her to be all girly and cutesy looking.

Pretty sure Disney can handle action scenes easy. Like Felix said previous Disney movies have done action really well, and they can also look at The Incredibles for inspiration.

And those character designs for Honey Lemon and Wasabi are great, though I'm surprised at how mature Honey Lemon looks. I was expecting her to be all girly and cutesy looking.

She does look a little nerdy doesn't she, that's what I was thinking :P 

• 2 weeks later...

Somewhat better quality images of the main team have been leaked onto tumblr, apparently from D23.

tumblr_n6z9mwvBvN1t0tv1ko1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n6z9mwvBvN1t0tv1ko2_1280.jpg

Pretty cool stuff, but Honey Lemon's (The one in the Pink armor) face is kind of giving off an Anna or Elsa vibe... Kinda concerning for me.

Of course, given the quality of the pic, I could be wrong or looking to deep into it, here.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty cool stuff, but Honey Lemon's (The one in the Pink armor) face is kind of giving off an Anna or Elsa vibe... Kinda concerning for me.

New character posters!

tumblr_n7xwqms2901t0jrxxo6_1280.jpg

And this my friends, is what we call "Lazy character design" or "Copy/Paste face, No-one'll notice".

They all look really great, especially Go Go Tamago and Wasabi No-Ginger (oh look! they did keep his full name after all). I'm not quite sure what's going on with Fred there though and Honey Lemon bears an uncanny resemblance to Rapunzel. Other than that, I like their designs.

Edit: I see everyone and their mother is moaning about Honey Lemon on Tumblr! Greeeeeat.

Edited by Gabz Girl
  • Thumbs Up 1

I already know I'm gonna love Wasabi and Baymax looks pretty cool as well. If there's any downside, it's that now the whole character design flame war on tumblr is gonna get even worse thanks to Honey Lemon

• Thumbs Up 1

tumblr_n7y1q0hiAI1qeu3s2o1_500.png

It begins...

Honestly, I wonder how long DIsney will keep using the same facial models. I understand that it's probably cheaper, but it reeks of laziness and takes away character diversity.

I'm looking forward to the movie still, and I do like most of the designs... except for Fredzilla. Good lord, I thought one of Disney's twelve principles of animation was appeal, but I can't see anything appealing about that monster design. The big eyes, tiny, circular mouth, it's... well, it just looks ugly, IMO.

• Thumbs Up 6

tumblr_n7y1q0hiAI1qeu3s2o1_500.png

It begins...

Honestly, I wonder how long DIsney will keep using the same facial models. I understand that it's probably cheaper, but it reeks of laziness and takes away character diversity.

I honestly don't get why is this such a big deal. Studio Ghibli, the best animation studio of all time has been using the exact same designs for like 20 years and no one complains:

djkor8kvpmoclbckoa82.jpg

dxzweleriprb2nhazged.jpg

xa3raizwmo70wmzlcq5t.jpg

It's the same studio, same animators, same artists, of course this will happen, even DreamWorks did this in their 2D films. Why is it that only Disney is not allowed to do it?

• Thumbs Up 1

I "glued" together the posters

BigHero6_zps090505f1.png

and I notice that, while the other guys are facing left and right, Hiro is the only one who looks directly at the audience. Maybe will he be the absolute main character and leader of the six?

I honestly don't get why is this such a big deal. Studio Ghibli, the best animation studio of all time has been using the exact same designs for like 20 years and no one complains:

djkor8kvpmoclbckoa82.jpg

dxzweleriprb2nhazged.jpg

xa3raizwmo70wmzlcq5t.jpg

It's the same studio, same animators, same artists, of course this will happen, even DreamWorks did this in their 2D films. Why is it that only Disney is not allowed to do it?

Because unlike all the other studios you mentioned, Disney's the biggest name out of all of them. They're one if the most enduring animation studios in the world, and have had a much longer and larger presence in the world of entertainment compared to Ghibli or DreamWorks. Even the early princesses before had some variation in their appearance to the point where you wouldn't be reminded of another princess ala people pointing out that Rapunzel, Anna and Elsa look similar. There's literally no excuse for Disney to come out of their comfort zone and try out some body diversity for once.

It's also troublesome because it creates a double-standard. They seem to have no trouble creating diverse male models, but a majority of their female characters in recent years have had very similar facial structures. Big eyes, small mouths, rounded faces, and slim physiques, whereas with the male characters you get varying body types across the main cast.

• Thumbs Up 4

Whatever, I still think you guys are making too big a deal out of this. Personally I like it when studios do this. It gives me a comfortable feeling of familiarity, like wearing the same old shoes for a long time.

I just realised...

The girls both have boob plates...

#MOVIE-RUINED-FOREVER.

Well, just as I suspected, Honey Lemon does indeed fall into the sameface syndrome... Dissapointing, but I can't say I'm surprised at this point. 

Other than that, I think everyone else looks pretty good, in terms of design.

It's also troublesome because it creates a double-standard. They seem to have no trouble creating diverse male models, but a majority of their female characters in recent years have had very similar facial structures. Big eyes, small mouths, rounded faces, and slim physiques, whereas with the male characters you get varying body types across the main cast.

Also, didn't the head animator of Frozen say something along the lines of  "It's hard to animate females?" Some people are saying that the comment has been blown out of proportion, whereas others are saying its the reason why the female characters look similar.

EDIT: Here it is...

“Historically speaking, animating female characters are really, really difficult, because they have to go through these range of emotions, but you have to keep them pretty and they’re very sensitive to — you can get them off a model very quickly. So, having a film with two hero female characters was really tough, and having them both in the scene and look very different if they’re echoing the same expression; that Elsa looking angry looks different from Anna being angry.”

Source

Edit: I see everyone and their mother is moaning about Honey Lemon on Tumblr! Greeeeeat.

There's also people upset about it on twitter...and youtube...and deviantART...and SSMB (as demonstrated)...and, shockingly enough, the real world...what's your point, exactly?

Whatever, I still think you guys are making too big a deal out of this. Personally I like it when studios do this. It gives me a comfortable feeling of familiarity, like wearing the same old shoes for a long time.

It gives me a feeling of wearing the same old shoes long after they've stopped fitting on my feet, while also ignoring the existence of plenty of other, different shoes that would be just as good.

“Historically speaking, animating female characters are really, really difficult, because they have to go through these range of emotions, but you have to keep them pretty and they’re very sensitive to — you can get them off a model very quickly. So, having a film with two hero female characters was really tough, and having them both in the scene and look very different if they’re echoing the same expression; that Elsa looking angry looks different from Anna being angry.”

Ahaha, I remember this. Even ignoring how pathetic "but it's soooooo hard" is as an excuse for this, I think the most telling part is "you have to keep them pretty".

• Thumbs Up 2

There's also people upset about it on twitter...and youtube...and deviantART...and SSMB (as demonstrated)...and, shockingly enough, the real world...what's your point, exactly?

Because the same exact thing happened with Frozen last year and then it got worse over time once the film was released. People started talking about how "racist" the film was in its depiction of Sami culture and people, even though it's been proven that the Sami people are white. Ugh.

Anyway, here's one relevant post from Tumblr which basically echoes my thoughts on this whole Honey Lemon overreaction;

okay so let me get this straight

Disney’s making a superhero movie with a Japanese lead and a multi-racial cast set in a fictionalised multi-racial world

half the human characters are women in non-sexualised costumes with completely different personalities and appearances

AND they race-bent one of the characters from the comics and made him black

and you’ve all completely ignored all of that and are instead focused on the fact that the blonde-haired, green-eyed white girl sorta looks like a blonde-haired, green-eyed white girl from another movie they made

okay

Sure Honey Lemon looks like Rapunzel's long lost twin sister, but why isn't anyone focusing on the fact that there's two Asian characters and a black guy as main characters??

Oh and here's another thing. These character posters were leaked (note the text Not approved by Disney). This means that Honey Lemon, Wasabi and the others may look different in the final film. Same thing happened last year with Frozen, if you remember.

• Thumbs Up 2

Focusing on flaws isn't necessarily ignoring the existence of other qualities.

Also, Frozen's leaked posters' designs had the exact same ones as in the final film. Absolutely nothing is going to change.

• Thumbs Up 3

Because the same exact thing happened with Frozen last year and then it got worse over time once the film was released. People started talking about how "racist" the film was in its depiction of Sami culture and people, even though it's been proven that the Sami people are white. Ugh.

I'm not in the position to really discuss that side of things, but based on what I do know, they're more diverse in appearance than you're making it sound.

Besides, isn't the issue being discussed here the samey character design? Why are you bringing up something almost completely irrelevant?

Sure Honey Lemon looks like Rapunzel's long lost twin sister, but why isn't anyone focusing on the fact that there's two Asian characters and a black guy as main characters??

I see your point, but there's the saying "two steps forward, one step back" for a reason. It's most likely that this is mostly for the sake of marketing, and it's...going to work, just like it did for Frozen. It's kind of a shame and worth discussing, even if this'll probably be the status quo from now until who-knows-when.

And weren't the leaked Frozen designs (which people dismissed as "fake" at one point too, IIRC) basically what we got in the end, anyway?

If I had to wager a bet, it's because the former is just lazy character design, while the latter, on the other hand, is what should be done more often to begin with. More character diversity is nice--very nice, I must say--but that does not excuse lazy character design. Of course, since this is apparently not final, I'll retract my complaint if there's something done to Honey Lemon to make her more distinct from Rapunzel, Anna and Elsa. Until that happens, however, I will continue to air my grievances over her current design and I honestly don't see why I should essentially be shamed into silence for it.

• Thumbs Up 4

Besides, isn't the issue being discussed here the samey character design? Why are you bringing up something almost completely irrelevant?

I just gave an example of Tumblr's reaction to Frozen being similar to what's happening now with Big Hero 6. Before Frozen's release people first complained about the character, which was Elsa of course, then the film came out and it got worse with some even calling it racist which is frankly ridiculous. I'm worried the same thing might happen again here. Hell, it's already started with some comments saying flippin' names like GoGo Tamago are racist even though that's exactly what they were called in the Marvel comic book! It's totally blown out of proportion IMO.

And yes, I agree that Honey Lemon looks too much like Rapunzel or Anna, but to me it's not that big of a deal because at least GoGo and the others look great. She's just one character, sheesh.

• Thumbs Up 1

If I had to wager a bet, it's because the former is just lazy character design, while the latter, on the other hand, is what should be done more often to begin with. More character diversity is nice--very nice, I must say--but that does not excuse lazy character design. Of course, since this is apparently not final, I'll retract my complaint if there's something done to Honey Lemon to make her more distinct from Rapunzel, Anna and Elsa. Until that happens, however, I will continue to air my grievances over her current design and I honestly don't see why I should essentially be shamed into silence for it.

She has glasses when unsuited