Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

I seriously can't believe there is 100+ pages about this dude. Has it occurred to anyone that maybe this is the kind of attention that he wants?

I don't understand why you guys choose to feed this man your time and energy.

To be fair, if we only had four or five pages and he saw it, he'd probably assume there was 100000000 pages and all of it had to be deleted because there was way too much praise for him.

EDIT FROM THE FAR-OFF FUTURE OF 2K15: If only I had known.....

Edited by Celestia
  • Thumbs Up 3

It's not the first time this theory has been brought up, and there was a brief moment when it seemed like he actually WAS trolling his haters. 

One brief moment. 

Buuut then he basically went 'But Seriously I Really Am Always Right', and it became clear that this wasn't really the case. 

I for one am going to continue to believe this man is trolling if only for the sake of maintaining my sanity given his logic - if it turns out to me that he was serious and it bombs, then it's a win-win in either case.

Only thing that would absolutely shock me is if this really lifts off without crashing and burning, and to an extent without Sega stepping in somehow.

I'm still somewhat unclear if "Shattered Tomorrows" is supposed to illustrated by Ken's pen, or if it'll be done in nightmare "Lien-Da" renders.

Because those CGI pieces of "Foodfight" reject garbage seem to have no place in this thing. Like at all. Rafa Knight gets an excuse, because Sonic is primarily a video game franchise, so rendering comic characters from his comic at least follows a trail of logic.

Lien-Diva and Micheal Taylor have no reason to be rendered. Especially when Ken's promotional material seems to constantly be flipflopping back & forth between "traditional" and CGI renders, even at his own booth at the FL Con. Not that it'll actually attract readers, but causing customer confusion within the continuity of your own project seems to be self sabotaging.

Even if it's merely to determine whether it looks like a piece of sh*t or a pile of puke.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's sad how exciting Penders's nonsense can be... and for all the wrong reasons.

I guess this is why some people enjoy watching Maury or Jerry Springer.

• Thumbs Up 1

We have had all kinds of professionals here visit the forum. I'm sure Penders lurks here and is quite in tune with community hot spots. I think its more likely to say that he does rather than not.

Lol thats funny that you're still calling Penders a professional. unless you mean hes a professional nutjob.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm still somewhat unclear if "Shattered Tomorrows" is supposed to illustrated by Ken's pen, or if it'll be done in nightmare "Lien-Da" renders.

Because those CGI pieces of "Foodfight" reject garbage seem to have no place in this thing. Like at all. Rafa Knight gets an excuse, because Sonic is primarily a video game franchise, so rendering comic characters from his comic at least follows a trail of logic.

Lien-Diva and Micheal Taylor have no reason to be rendered. Especially when Ken's promotional material seems to constantly be flipflopping back & forth between "traditional" and CGI renders, even at his own booth at the FL Con. Not that it'll actually attract readers, but causing customer confusion within the continuity of your own project seems to be self sabotaging.

Even if it's merely to determine whether it looks like a piece of sh*t or a pile of puke.

I'm of the inclination that he'll be using the 3D for a few reasons-

• He can't produce artwork in a timely manner. Those prints he did for the Florida Super Con look like rubbish, and according to him, he spent a 'full work day' working on them. Assuming he means an eight hour day, eight hours of work should -not- look that sloppy and rushed. Not-Knuckles doesn't even have distinct fingers on his fist hand. If he wants this to be a full comic experience with inks, colors, etc, it's going to take him a reeeally long time to get that book out.
  • More importantly, there was a time on his board where he described that the pages of the comic would be composed using artwork from a 'library' of character poses. Some peope derided him reading that he was basically going to turn his art into clipart and copy paste it everywhere. He went on to clarify that no one will recognize the reused poses because they'd be from 'every possible angle'. That only makes sense if they're 3D models. And considering his penchant for using photograph backgrounds, it's going to be supremely lazy combination. And as I was writing this another thought occured to me- art wise he really won't be doing much of the art at all in this case. Unless he's learning how to pose 3D models and the like or is using a program to do it for him (like Poser, but I don't know how easy it is to import models to that), he's going to need someone else (probably Kevin/Springysnake) to pose them for him so that he can get snapshots of each pose. And then that's assuming that Kenders has a model viewer program that will allow him to take the shots himself, rather than having Kevin have to do that for him too.

Overall I'm inclined to believe he's doing this 3D with photo/'collage' backgrounds and that it's going to look a nightmare.

You know, I'm glad his family and friends like his stuff too, but that doesn't make any of it immune to criticism. I mean, my mom likes every lousy, unfinished painting I ever did in college, but that doesn't mean hers is the only opinion I should listen to. And again with saying "but you don't know what's really going on!" to further shut down conversation and criticism.

I want to hope maybe CSS is right and this is all elaborate trolling on Penders's part, but I really think that's giving this man far too much credit.

I'm of the inclination that he'll be using the 3D for a few reasons-

• He can't produce artwork in a timely manner. Those prints he did for the Florida Super Con look like rubbish, and according to him, he spent a 'full work day' working on them. Assuming he means an eight hour day, eight hours of work should -not- look that sloppy and rushed. Not-Knuckles doesn't even have distinct fingers on his fist hand. If he wants this to be a full comic experience with inks, colors, etc, it's going to take him a reeeally long time to get that book out.

But... but! He has FANS who say his stuff looks great! Look, one posted on his board: http://kenpenders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2656&start=50#p55106

...does anyone buy "TammySue" that ISN'T BobR?

Kens "my mamma says it's good" style replies are just sad. He's trying to make a product to put out on the market, he should be open to critique, of course your friends & family will be nice and say it's good, they're your friends & family!

Good lord, this man makes Goofy look like a genius in comparison!

But... but! He has FANS who say his stuff looks great! Look, one posted on his board: http://kenpenders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2656&start=50#p55106

Yeah, I thought It either had to be BobR or another one of his family or friends. I mean apart from using things BobR said, there's also the fact the person never wrote back when they were called out about using BobR's words and never said why they liked his stuff. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I thought It either had to be BobR or another one of his family or friends. I mean apart from using things BobR said, there's also the fact the person never wrote back when they were called out about using BobR's words and never said why they liked his stuff. 

My thoughts exactly. If Ken reallly wanted to prove that fans like his work, well - you'd be able to Google his name and get anything BUT negative comments. 

In a way, it's funny he has to resort to friends and Bob posting praise... in another it's totally unprofessional (of Bob - or Ken, whoever is behind it) and makes it even more apparent these guys have no idea who their fans are if they think they'd fall for something so obvious.

I've said it once and I'll say it again; anything with fans will have something to show for it, whether it be a casual mention of enjoying it on a forum or some crappy piece of fanart. 

Ken doesn't even have THAT much. All the 'fan art' was done to call him out on his crappy design choices, and the only praise I've seen comes from his forum and twitter, by the same small handful of people who refuse to acknowledge anything problematic with his actions or statements. 

You wanna know what a diehard Penders fan looks like? It's someone who is just as baffled as he is that anyone could be offended or upset by his lifting of that holocaust poem. 

• Thumbs Up 1

.... oh holy shit, really?? 

*goes over to the twitter* 

Oh wow. Dude. You do not tell people who hold the copyright 'if you want'; it's kind of a goddamned given that they'll do what they want, when they want, because they're the ones who own the damn franchise! They're the ones with things to lose from this! The ones who make the decisions! You do not get to go 'hint hint' or anything else like that, regardless of your intent. 

*shakes head* Goddammit, this guy... it sounds like he's saying they have permission or some such. 

• Thumbs Up 8

I do.

I think it's a troll. 

Well then, I hope for his sake he either comes from an insanely huge family, or is related to Bill Gates, cause otherwise "My family likes it" isn't going to do him much good when the sales numbers roll in.

Edited by Disonoid 3000
  • Thumbs Up 1

I really don't think Sega Japan, who started having a much bigger say and influence in the Sonic series from Adventure onwards, who no doubt would have had a say in any widely distributed Sonic movie, would have let Ken/Ben or Sega America use Ken's ideas for the movie regardless of anyone's bad business dealings and meetings. I don't see them being alright with Sonic having a mum and dad, or the whole Overlander and Great War etc, they would have wanted their own continuity or bust.

I could maybe have seen them get away with a SatAM thing...maybe..but not with the extra non-mainstream Sega Archie stuff as it was at the time. He really was intent on jamming his stuff anywhere he could...pretty lucky he didn't really or he would have sued a lot earlier to get the cash revenue from the movie. Or waited till 10 years later and failed like he did with Chronicles and Mega Collection after the pot and timeframe had run dry. I don't care what the guy says, it's all about the green, not the rights. Once he finds out there's no pot of gold he drops his attack like a hot pie. If that doesn't spell something out, I dunno what does. If it was the rights he really was interested in he would keep going even without monetary reward at the end...but he doesn't.

For people who want the Twitter links about his recent Sonic movie stuff.

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/488434497910607874

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/488434783999893504

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/488435198946586624

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/488435529059299331

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/488435937659994114

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/488436216186945536

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/488436280703729664

Oh he also mentions the hoverboard section begins at the start of SONIC ISSUE 50 which means he was already planning on skipping ahead to the 50th freaking issue. 

No wonder this project crashed and burned. It was Ken's usual stupid bs of ''I want what I want! Can't agree with what I want?! TOO BAD!!!'' Considering the laughable video he showed Sega along the stupid and horrible Sci-Fi alien crap he was going for, I am thankful that Sega had the brains to tell him no way this was happening.

For people who want the Twitter links about his recent Sonic movie stuff.

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/488434497910607874

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/488434783999893504

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/488435198946586624

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/488435529059299331

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/488435937659994114

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/488436216186945536

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/488436280703729664

Oh he also mentions the hoverboard section begins at the start of SONIC ISSUE 50 which means he was already planning on skipping ahead to the 50th freaking issue. 

No wonder this project crashed and burned. It was Ken's usual stupid bs of ''I want what I want! Can't agree with what I want?! TOO BAD!!!'' Considering the laughable video he showed Sega along the stupid and horrible Sci-Fi alien crap he was going for, I am thankful that Sega had the brains to tell him no way this was happening.

None of that intro made anything he wanted clear, at all. Wow.

You'd think he'd done more work to try to spruce up the presentation.

• Thumbs Up 1

Considering the low budget horribly filmed and drawn storyboards/video and how he tried to pass that off to Sega as ''professional'' along with a powerpoint that more or less stated what Sega already knew rather than saying why should Ken make this film and why Sega should even give this guy a minute of their time, I very much doubt that Ken even noticed that the intro doesn't make sense.

Plain and simple, Ken did low quality shitty work like getting a blurry still image straight from Sonic Adventure from a TV rather than actually just going to Google Images and finding a high quality picture of the Sega logo, having bad lighting and crappy work filming, and also had bad voiceover along with the completely unneeded crap about ''My Daddy knows the real version of how this story happened'' along with a random intro which introduces us to nothing about Sonic. For example, who's Uncle Chuck? Where is this place Sonic lives, how do these characters have what's needed for creating a hovercraft?.

There's also the lazy work that just makes this a completely laughable effort, that logo which is created by lazy photoshop effects, badly drawn storyboards, Ken claiming that he is the one who knows the true version of these events, the horrible filming and lighting, and the completely stupid Sci-Fi setting all show exactly how bad this project would have been and words don't describe how smart Sega were to just can the entire project then and there. 

I wonder if the Powerpoint was him trying to kiss their ass by saying, "Look guys, I'm recounting your history." Or if he was just trying to fill space and had no idea what to say.

And it's kinda dumb to tell SEGA, the guys who run the show, what the REAL version is, when you're writing secondary continuity.

• Thumbs Up 1

It doesn't surprise me anymore. Everything the guy does is either his own hair brained idea with no thought given to canon continuity (Naming characters after his kids/wife) or a complete ripoff (Star Trek references, anyone?). Look at that whole trailer! Look at Lara-Su! Totally not A Sega echidna! And Pratorean/Not-Knuckles isn't at all a char from the Sonic Anime! Oh, and I wanted to show this at Bumbleking, but don't forget the outfit he wears is ripping off Ian/DawnBest's Sylvania character: http://www.deviantart.com/art/Sylvanna-Kaiyo-283662747

Before I mention anything, I'm new... sort of. Had an account once before but I was a smelly teen then.

I read over those tweets from Ken earlier and I began to wonder who his project is really for, his folks, or a captive audience? The way he just dismisses any criticism really points toward the former, at least in my opinion.

It's for the massive and yet totally silent and unseen fanbase he has who are far too mature to engage in public discussion on the internet, even to defend Kenders or his work. 

So in short? The audience that exists only in his head. 

• Thumbs Up 6

You know, I'm glad his family and friends like his stuff too, but that doesn't make any of it immune to criticism. I mean, my mom likes every lousy, unfinished painting I ever did in college, but that doesn't mean hers is the only opinion I should listen to. And again with saying "but you don't know what's really going on!" to further shut down conversation and criticism.

I want to hope maybe CSS is right and this is all elaborate trolling on Penders's part, but I really think that's giving this man far too much credit.

"My Mom says i'm cool!"

• Thumbs Up 2