Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

It doesn't even matter if they had trouble trying to translate the japan version of the game so the adaptation could be made unless I missed the part in Sonic Adventure where comic characters along with The Chaotix were kidnapped. Quite clearly, this was another attempt by Ken to shove his characters into the spotlight and along with that by making the Chaotix look like idiots to make the echidnas look like cool and smart.

Also, that's another annoying thing about the archives. As Zaysho mentioned, Penders is getting top billing despite having the smallest part of these issues. It's the same with the cover of Volume 23 where It's been pointed out that he only did ONE backup and yet he still gets top billing on the cover.

• Thumbs Up 1

Their booth was across from his booth, actually. So he probably benefited a lot from Planet Freedom- he probably wouldn't of gotten the same traffic without them.

Yup.Freedom Planet basically being an incredibly well done Sonic fan game with enough differences to put it apart from Sonic (and any legal backlash) while Kenny boy is is trying to steal Knuckles into his book.

So, stupid question, but can somebody give me a quick rundown on the Bollers and Penders, history? I heard a little bit about them, that Bollers understood Sonic a bit better than Penders and he did some stuff that made Penders want to ruin his career, but I don't get it all really.

I'm not that in-the-know about the Archie staff. lol

Exact details are hard to come by. I hear Bollers used to have a forum that gave a better rundown of his side of things, but that's gone belly up since those days, and Penders is about as reliable as a chocolate teapot when it comes to... anything, really. 

What is 'generally' known is that there was a lot of behind the scenes creative conflict between the two, generally due to Penders warped belief that people should not do anything with anyone else's characters and Bollers disagreeing rather vehemently. The first recorded instance of this I can find is recounted here: 

http://www.sonicretro.org/2013/01/mobius-25-years-later-the-review-part-12-the-emotional-key-to-lockes-psyche/

In short, Bollers had the temerity to suggest 25YL might not be the 'true' future of Sonic, whereas Penders was under the impression that it was. This can be blamed on then editor Justin Gabrie's lousy handling of things; he was an editor infamous for a hands-off approach, and towards the end of Bollers, Penders and his run, you can really start to see how things were coming undone at the seams because of it. 

A more specific example of why Penders would want Bollers gone though can be found in the Return to Angel Island arc, wherein Bollers basically gave the comfortable status quo Ken had established a VERY firm kick in the pants by having Eggman invade Angel Island and raise Echidnapolis to the ground. Penders evidently wasn't paying attention to what Bollers was doing even after having given permission for him to use his characters and such, and as you can imagine, his reaction was... not pretty. Add to Bollers evidently wanting to reveal the Source of All as corrupt and evil (which would have explained far, far too much), and given how much Penders has publicaly made known his resentment of others working on his material, and you can see where conflict would emerge. 

To my knowledge what ensued was a lot of behind the scenes squabbling and general havoc. Not long after all of that, Gabrie would be sacked as an editor, Bollers would leave, and Penders would follow, with Ian Flynn being hired on as the new head writer. 

Much of the truth of what was going on at the time will likely remain unknown, but that's the what I *do* know. Penders has repeatedly shown to absolutely dislike others working on 'his' precious materials, and with that attitude in mind, it's not difficult to see how the Return to Angel Island arc would have made him go on the warpath. Indeed, he immediately tried to reverse several of the changes that had come about as the result of that storyline, despite it being very clearly shown that there wasn't much of Echidnapolis left. 

Mind you, a lot of this is pretty abridged, but this is pretty much what I know as the truth, to the best of my knowledge. 

So in conclusion? Penders is a crybaby, and communication is the lifeblood of any cohesive work unit. 

• Thumbs Up 2

You know, I get it. I don't like the thought of other people who don't share my vision messing around with my characters and changing the direction I want my story to go in. This is why my comic is a solo project. I don't want or need another giant ego competing with mine. But if I worked on a professional collaborative work like StH, I'd check my ego at the door and accept that it's a team effort, which means I can't always get what I want. This appears to have been one of el Grande Pendejo's biggest problems. He couldn't check his ego at the door and the comic suffered because of it.

I'd say he's where he belongs now, doing a solo project, but it doesn't seem as if he can manage even that much, honestly.

• Thumbs Up 8

It's Spanish for "the big asshole". Appropriate, I think. And amusing since Penders, Pendejo...

Jokes are less funny when you have to explain them...

• Thumbs Up 9

Don't forget the hypocrisy of Ken not wanting anyone wanting to mess with his stories and characters, yet shamelessly derailed Karl's story for Antoine as retaliation for RtAI.

So in conclusion? Penders is a crybaby, and communication is the lifeblood of any cohesive work unit. 

And Penders is a bit of a hypocrite given that this whole comic is about characters he didn't create, and he's constantly conflicting the canon of SEGA with everything he made. Especially with Angel Island.

Granted, a lot of it was well before SEGA finally giving Sonic a world we could see as-is, but all the same.

Also, this doesn't surprise me.

The only thing was, I wanted to write KNUCKLES: 20 YEARS LATER

Edit: lol, I'm too slow.

Don't forget the hypocrisy of Ken not wanting anyone wanting to mess with his stories and characters, yet shamelessly derailed Karl's story for Antoine as retaliation for RtAI.

Wow, that's some crazy stuff. I knew he engaged in slap fights on the Internet, but I didn't think he was all into crazy censorship, given his current board.

Then again, judging by the posts there, he wasn't into it back then either, but this was a reaaaaaaaaaaallly touchy subject for him.

I wonder if there's any archives of his old board.

Hey Hey look! A full 100 pages of talking about this crappy rip off! 

But seriously, It's a surprise he still went on like this back when he was still writing the book and clearly shows he can't handle criticism which also connects with the whole questions thing at the Super Con. He must seriously think M25YL was the most brilliant thing drawn and written on paper >.>

• Thumbs Up 1

What else would you expect from a man who quit his job because his employers began to tell him he had to make further use of game characters, characters that were a part of the franchise to which he had been licensed to write for mind you, and then after leaving over that fact went right back around and tried to convince the company whose characters he scorned into letting HIM take charge of writing for a major theatrical adaptation of their best selling product? 

The ego and hypocrisy of this man is boundless. As I said... he does more than enough to make himself look like some kind of cartoonish caricature of a man. Why else would we have enough material on him to LAST a hundred pages? XD

• Thumbs Up 6

Here's the pilot for The Republic which apparently was going to be a Web series:

Dat opening

Dat opening indeed and I thought was made by a fourteen year old.

Already 2 minutes into the video and I can't stand it. 

DSC_0230_zpsd3e7a922.jpg

Damn. Is it weird that this image actually makes me feel a little bad for him? 

I can't say I sympathize given how egotistical he's been.

Not as far as I'm concerned, no. I feel a little bad for him too. It is possible to feel both contempt and pity for someone, after all.

Just wondering but did anyone else ever notice weird habits between the characters back when Penders and Bollers was writing? For example, in the archives I have, for some reason every character keeps calling Amy ''Amy Rose''. So Nate says to Amy ''No you can not go with us Amy Rose'' and stuff like that. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Just wondering but did anyone else ever notice weird habits between the characters back when Penders and Bollers was writing? For example, in the archives I have, for some reason every character keeps calling Amy ''Amy Rose''. So Nate says to Amy ''No you can not go with us Amy Rose'' and stuff like that. 

When she first appeared in #25, she was introduced as "Amy Rose the Hedgehog". Maybe the writers were under the impression that "Amy Rose" was a double barrelled name like "Jenny May" or "Mary Jane" or something? Or maybe they just wanted every single character to sound like Teal'c. 

Yeah but It's a mistake that should have been fixed and fast for that matter. This was around Sonic Adventure where It had been at least 5 years since Amy's intro and especially the time when Sega was putting focus on her as a character. It's like if Tails kept saying to Sonic ''Oh there you are Sonic the Hedgehog! How are you Sonic the Hedgehog?'' and Sonic replied ''I'm great Miles ''Tails'' Prower! How are you doing today Miles ''Tails'' Prower?''

• Thumbs Up 4

Aye, and it also highlights just how little real confidence Penders has in his own ideas; he NEEDS the Sonic connection more than anything, and has no real clue of how to parlay any of his ideas or concepts into original content that might be able to attract fans of their own merit. It's pathetic. 

• Thumbs Up 3