Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

I find it funny that this topic alone is attracting new members by the week. Ha! guess penders has that effect on people.

There. tongue.png

You created a travesty you fucking asshole! you were poison to this comic, literal poison.

I was actually stalking viewing this topic for months since the lawsuit. Though I spent other times complaining about the man on my tumblr.

The fact that I want to actually become a creator myself, what Penders spouts tends to leave a bad taste in my mouth.

I was actually stalking viewing this topic for months since the lawsuit. Though I spent other times complaining about the man on my tumblr.

The fact that I want to actually become a creator myself, what Penders spouts tends to leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Yeah I notice allot of the new guys are lurkers, its cool though.

Ken Penders:

Most writers didn't create an entire freaking playground like I did for KNUCKLES, which is a viable universe of characters and stories without anything included that's owned by Sega.

After the damage he's done to that 'universe' I'm convinced that Enders would gladly burn every last issue of the original comic series if he could he king of the ashes.

(God I love quoting Game of Thrones)

Ken Penders:

Most writers didn't create an entire freaking playground like I did for KNUCKLES, which is a viable universe of characters and stories without anything included that's owned by Sega.

After the damage he's done to that 'universe' I'm convinced that Enders would gladly burn every last issue of the original comic series if he could he king of the ashes.

(God I love quoting Game of Thrones)

Oh come on, you know he wouldn't burn the stuff he wrote. Everyone else's work on the other hand...

I love the fact that he prides himself on creating a group of villains that are more or less a combination of the Sith from Star Wars and The Borg from Star Trek. Oh and let's not forget creepy Nazi undertones he added to them later. (Hail Dimitri, anyone?)

You give him too much credit; something like THAT would have been impressive. 

Though in seriousness, the Borg comparison is a bit off, if only because while cyborgs these guys didn't seem interested in 'assimilating' people into them in that fashion. It takes more than being cyborgs to make them Borg ripoffs. 

That said, there's not a lot to pride himself on; their entire existence is riddled with all kinds of plotholes that he cannot begin to properly address, and then there's the fact that he seems to think that an organization called the 'Dark Legion' is the stuff of SERIOUS villainy. Flynn had to come up with the idea that they picked that name to deliberately intimidate people. 

Okay, sorry if somebody posted this stuff already but Ken replied to some questions on his board and there's some interesting stuff in there^^

@Tammy-Su:

I just have one question: will you be opening up a roleplaying forum? I am already excited to partake in your new world.

First, welcome to the board. And I appreciate the positive comments. After my experience in FL, I feel like people are at least willing to give THE LARA-SU CHRONICLES a fair shot based on my previous track record, and that's all I ask.

As for the role-playing forum, that's probably something I'll have to get somebody to work on once I'm nearing completion of the first book, but it's way too soon to talk about now. Please check back here or my Twitter account for further details as they are released.

@DisinterestedWalrus:

And along those lines, it is a bit annoying to see comparisons to Disney Princesses thrown around like an insult in the first place.

While the female characters may be portrayed in a better light than seen previously, I was much more impressed with Repunzel in TANGLED than I was with the sisters in FROZEN. I just had a hard time buying into the sisters caring for each other after years of the eldest sister ignoring the younger sister. That's just not believable. 

That's assuming that the Lara-Su Chronicles is intended to be read by young girls. I'm a little uncertain of who the target audience is based on what I've read

To be honest, I'm still wrestling with that one myself. As evidenced at my FL Super-Con appearance, my audience is very broad-based and split equally between the genders. However, I'm not sure how much - if at all - I want to aim for the under-12 crowd. There are sequences in the story that are definitely far more intense than anything I've ever done in any previous story and would warrant a PG if not a PG-13 rating if it were a film.

That said, those who have seen the story so far have liked what they seen, so I remain optimistic.

@Mavrickindigo:

Well, finally, here comes someone who LIKES what's being shown.

Actually, Tammy-Su is far from the first and only person who has expressed liking what they've seen so far. The reaction at the FL Super-Con from the fans was that they liked the upgraded tech she sported and thought the new design was attractive. New potential readers had no preconceptions, so they simply liked what they saw when they expressed interest in THE LARA-SU CHRONICLES.

Old fans such as yourself have shown a variety of reactions that I've taken into consideration, but I still have to walk on the path I've set out on no matter what.

@BatboyEXE:

But Seriously it's obvious why you did it....you are a coward.

Far from it, actually, though I don't think in those terms. The characters and stories were always mine. Nobody gives up anything without a fight, and an exception wasn't going to made in my case either.

Right now, Marvel and DC are sending letters to creators, telling them to sign over the rights to characters they created on the companies' terms, otherwise those characters won't get used in film, TV, action figures, etc. Which is laughable because the companies are in effect saying they're willing to lose corporate assets and devalue the company. Those creators are now consulting with lawyers just as I had to because none of the companies are willing to concede the creators a fair share of the pie.

The creators, including myself, were never looking to be the next Bill Gates in terms of what was in our bank account. We simply want security and the ability to take care of our families as the reward for our efforts, and if some people don't get that, that's their problem, not mine.

Ken Penders Site Admin   Posts: 523 Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:48 pm

@Mavrickindigo:

Most Sonic fans have already moved on and are enjoying the new world Archie is building.

Where is your supporting evidence regarding most fans moving on? SOME fans have moved on, yes, but a majority? The jury is still out on that one. As for enjoying the new series, that still remains to be seen. Personally, I hope it is successful, as I really would be saddened to see the book's demise no matter which version it is. 

The fact is there is a following for THE LARA-SU CHRONICLES, and it is building, consisting of old fans who love my characters as well as dislike the new direction of the current series, and new fans who never picked up a Sonic comic but are intrigued by what they see.

As for the Praetorian, he is an original character. I defy you to point out where in any of the official Sega game material there exists someone like him, who's a father as well as the head of a arm of the government.

Ken Penders Site Admin   Posts: 523 Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:48 pm

This last quote really gets me...he says only SOME fans have moved on...I think he's in denial if he thinks that fans are gonna be won back by his UN-Sega like designs and poor taste in fashion for his "Echy-dnas"...I don't care if I didn't say it right.  The Silver Saga, as written by Ian Flynn, is the DEFINITIVE Lara-Su to me.  Honestly...Ken, please let it go.  You got your characters...why can't you just fade off into the distance?...

Ken is still trying to push What-The-Fuckles and yet he is so damn blind as to why What-The-Fuckles is a ripoff.

Oh, gee, Penders, I'm glad you'd be saddened about the book ending and somehow ignoring your role in the series' forced facelift or possible demise. That makes me feel so much better now.

Oh my... is he seriously standing his ground on Praetorian being an original character when he's literally Knuckles? I mean, I'm not surprised, but if his defense is "there's totally not a character like that in the games!" Bullshit. This is the role you wrote for Knuckles in the comics. This was embraced as Knuckles in the comics. The fucking lazy design you used is directly ripping that version of Knuckles from the comics. I'd like to see a better defense than "SEGA didn't do this!" when this was something they sanctioned for the book they allowed Archie to publish. SEGA also didn't make Tails a chosen one or turn Knuckles into a power-mad psycho or roboticized Sonic, it doesn't change the fact that these are alternate takes on their characters.

And for the love of all that is good and holy, stop hiding behind creators' rights like you're a fucking hero. This is what kills me every time. In a way, I don't completely disagree with what he's saying, but I just can't buy into the flag waving in light of his own hypocrisy (devaluing creators that worked on the same book he did, ripping off Knuckles but claiming it wasn't OK for the Dark Brotherhood to be created, etc.).

So was lurking Ken's forums and found this little gem

http://www.kenpenders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2549&start=50

Ken Penders:

Goddamn, Den Blenders is the gift that keeps on giving. It's too bad most of those characters are just Knuckles edited in MSPaint, and that the stories are generally boring.

"Reads forum posts". What sick, demented creature found Lara Su attractive? That's really wrong. Also, Ken. Your family isn't a wide demograph. How he can sleep at night after showing this to under 12's is a mystery.

• Thumbs Up 1

It seems Penders will defend Wuckles to the very end huh?

I contacted Archie about this since they can contact SEGA about this as well. I'll get back for more info.

I think Archie's well aware of this. And it's really not their business, it's SEGA's business.

I mean, sure, they're working for SEGA, use the same characters as them, and Ken used to be employed with them, but it's really not their business what Ken attempts to infringe upon, merely SEGA. If you want to contact anybody, contact SEGA of America.

Though, I rather wait until it's too late and he starts making money off it. I want something more than a cease and desist.

I think Archie's well aware of this. And it's really not their business, it's SEGA's business.

I mean, sure, they're working for SEGA, use the same characters as them, and Ken used to be employed with them, but it's really not their business what Ken attempts to infringe upon, merely SEGA. If you want to contact anybody, contact SEGA of America.

Though, I rather wait until it's too late and he starts making money off it. I want something more than a cease and desist.

I did but they have yet to get back to me since I sent them that three weeks ago.

I did but they have yet to get back to me since three weeks ago.

They're probably weening through a lot of letters. It'll take a while. Or try contacting again. Or even messaging one of the SEGA admins on the SEGA forums. They do get messages. Though, they'll probably be slightly annoyed that it's not Forum related since most of them are just PR.

Actually, that's probably bad advice, I dunno how this stuff works.

Your call.

It's just keeps greeting better *and by better I mean worse and even more delusional*

@Mavrickindigo:

no matter what quality the work was in its own right, it wasn't good as being a part of the universe it was originally made for.

That's your point-of-view, and I respect that. I also strongly disagree with it. The only way either of us can resolve this difference of opinion is by the reception the graphic novel receives when it comes out. Otherwise, either of us is just posturing.

Yeah Ken..... Pretty sure IF this thing ever comes out, it'll crash & burn. Not to mention most of the few people who do buy it will probsy do so just to bash it.

....the density of this mans ego... How has he not imploded in on himself by now!?

And yea, I think people should contact SEGA of America about What-The-F* ckles for sure!

He talks like no one gave him a chance prior to Super Con. News flash, Ken: People gave you a chance, you just repeatedly tore it down with horrible work and a terrible attitude.

Also, me and him share a similar opinion on an aspect of Frozen and for that I am ashamed. sad.png

Wouldn't it be interesting if it turned out that Sega was intentionality keeping silent about this? I know it sounds a little out there, but what if they're waiting for Ben Tenders to publish his Lara-Su story so they can turn around and slap him with a lawsuit for copyright infringmemt?

Wouldn't it be interesting if it turned out that Sega was intentionality keeping silent about this? I know it sounds a little out there, but what if they're waiting for Ben Tenders to publish his Lara-Su story so they can turn around and slap him with a lawsuit for copyright infringmemt?

Law-suits are expensive, I don't think any company wants to spend oodles of money out of spite they may not win back.

Personally, I'd like to think SEGA's holding back from doing anything simply because they find this guy as entertaining as we do and don't want to stop the train wreck. 

Law-suits are expensive, I don't think any company wants to spend oodles of money out of spite they may not win back.

Which leads to my next 'out there' theory.

What if this whole mess regarding knuckles and the Echidnas leads to some executive at Sega deciding that it would be less costly to just drop Knuckles from the roster altogether? I'm sure someone among the decision makers at the company could probably make a convincing argument that any character besides Sonic (and maybe tails) can easily be replaced without huge reproductions.

Which leads to my next 'out there' theory.

What if this whole mess regarding knuckles and the Echidnas leads to some executive at Sega deciding that it would be less costly to just drop Knuckles from the roster altogether? I'm sure someone among the decision makers at the company could probably make a convincing argument that any character besides Sonic (and maybe tails) can easily be replaced without huge reproductions.

Uh... no?

I somehow disagree because Knuckles is by far the 4th most popular character among the fans. Even though he was badly handled in the recent games (minimal role/appearances), he's still a widely popular character since the classic era and I doubt SEGA would easily give up on him.

If SEGA has to drop their ownership over Knuckles, I sure hope Penders would be the last person who will obtain the copyright.

• Thumbs Up 2

Considering Knuckles is a main character in the upcoming Boom cartoon along with Sonic, Tails & Amy. And how popular he still is, ima have to put that in the hell to the no category.

If SEGA does anything it'll probably tell Ken to change the design of his characters or face legal action.

Considering Knuckles is a main character in the upcoming Boom cartoon along with Sonic, Tails & Amy. And how popular he still is, ima have to put that in the hell to the no category.

If SEGA does anything it'll probably tell Ken to change the design of his characters or face legal action.

That does sound like a more realistic scenario.

I'd actually read somewhere that one of the reasons the designs for his characters are so terrible is because he's not allowed to use Sega's style.

After my experience in FL, I feel like people are at least willing to give THE LARA-SU CHRONICLES a fair shot based on my previous track record, and that's all I ask.

This is different. Honestly, based on what Ken has said recently, it feels like he's loosening up...very slightly...of course, contradicting that later.

Old fans such as yourself have shown a variety of reactions that I've taken into consideration, but I still have to walk on the path I've set out on no matter what.

That's hard to believe honestly. But why does he have to do this so bad? Does this mean he's really going through with this trainwreck? As it is now? Stay tuned.

Also I kinda wanna tweet him some evidence of Archie fans moving on and enjoying the new universe...not sure what though.