Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Or, more likely, the legal drama was originally about the Impact line and Penders was in the process of starting another lawsuit with Archie. But Ian posted the first chapter of LHT right in the middle of that, thus dragging that into the mess as well. That would make the most sense.

I still don't understand what one has to do with the other. Going after Archie for his work on Impact, based on contracts that actually did promise royalties (from what I understand), is one thing. But the Lost Hedgehog Tales is something else entirely. It's all speculative material. It doesn't reflect anything that was ultimately published in the comic and it's irrelevant to current material, and even the Lara-Su Chronicles. It's unofficial and not much different from the synopses Penders published on his own forum a few years ago.

If he really is trying to start something over LHT, then he's even pettier than I thought. And I didn't think that was possible.

I still don't understand what one has to do with the other. Going after Archie for his work on Impact, based on contracts that actually did promise royalties (from what I understand), is one thing. But the Lost Hedgehog Tales is something else entirely. It's all speculative material. It doesn't reflect anything that was ultimately published in the comic and it's irrelevant to current material, and even the Lara-Su Chronicles. It's unofficial and not much different from the synopses Penders published on his own forum a few years ago.

If he really is trying to start something over LHT, then he's even pettier than I thought. And I didn't think that was possible.

Given that he keeps saying 'The Powers That Be', he seems to be indicating his belief that either Archie or SEGA would take issue, which as we've discussed is still ludicrous given that Flynn would have spoken with both before moving forward.

I find it kind of funny actually. Penders reasoning (as best as I can deduce from his vague, cryptic and not very helpful posts) seems to be here that 'Ian Flynn is not a fan', indicating that posting this takes on a new context due to the fact hat Flynn is a professional. And yet in the past he's claimed that Flynn is 'too much of a fan' to really write for the comic. Suddenly, Flynn's got the objectivity to not be a fan, but only when it suits Penders' ends. 

It's hilariously ironic. By which I mean 'nauseatingly hypocritical'. 

• Thumbs Up 4

If anything,  I could see him trying to get his name and royalties out of LHT to try and boost his name recognition to fuel potential backing for the Lara-Su Chronicles. 

Make another big scene,  get his name  big in the LHT, and then use the "I was involved in these classics so I must be hot shit " trick to try and lull those who go on name recognition alone.

Do I think he's petty enough to attempt that?  Yes,  I certainly do believe he has the capacity  for such pettiness. 

• Thumbs Up 1

From Thanks, Ken Penders:

tumblr_ni37bgTJcp1u4is2oo1_1280.png

I can't be the only one who sees the irony here, right?

HOLY................................ okay I've never read the comics before but....................... good god is the writing in this awful. I'm not even saying that after just this scan, but several other's I've found elsewhere (like that stupid ass nazi ripoff quote, who thought that was "smart, deep, complex, writing"?) Is most of it this bad or is it just this Penders guy?

Edited by nintega137
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ha. Wow. That's almost prophetic. Good spot there.

HOLY................................ okay I've never read the comics before but....................... good god is the writing in this awful. I'm not even saying that after just this scan, but several other's I've found elsewhere (like that stupid ass nazi ripoff quote, who thought that was "smart, deep, complex, writing"?) Is most of it this bad or is it just this Penders guy?

Penders ratio of terribleness was highest, but frankly there was little quality control in general over the course of the comic, and writers could ping pong in terms of quality veeery readily. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah yes. Remind me of the Dingoes. Essentially Communists who later became Nazis (putting Echidnas in concentration camps, albiet under Bollers).

Obviously, they were drooling cavemen who didn't understand the all powerful technology of the Ubermench Echdna civilization. After all, it was those Dingoes which detonated nuclear bombs on the Island which forced the ever advanced Echidna civilization of hide their cities in a pocket dimension while they cleaned up. Obviously, all while showing they didn't need technology like those bad old Dark Legion guys did; they had their technological marvel city provide everything for them!

Yeah, I'm not letting the idea go that Ken did this, but didn't acknowledge the hypocrisy like everyone else did.

• Thumbs Up 3

Ah yes. Remind me of the Dingoes. Essentially Communists who later became Nazis (putting Echidnas in concentration camps, albiet under Bollers).

Obviously, they were drooling cavemen who didn't understand the all powerful technology of the Ubermench Echdna civilization. After all, it was those Dingoes which detonated nuclear bombs on the Island which forced the ever advanced Echidna civilization of hide their cities in a pocket dimension while they cleaned up. Obviously, all while showing they didn't need technology like those bad old Dark Legion guys did; they had their technological marvel city provide everything for them!

Yeah, I'm not letting the idea go that Ken did this, but didn't acknowledge the hypocrisy like everyone else did.

Honestly, they always struck me as being more fascist than communist, given that it seemed like their army WAS their society. If I were to speculate, I would wager that they were a martial civilization with a certain amount of required service to the army in order to distill a sense of discipline and order, an end result of their society having to suddenly change after their ciivlization was shattered by the creation of Angel Island, leaving them with fewer resources and needing to change to fit the situation. 

Sorry, sorry, speculating and trying to find something redeemable of Penders. A futile exercise, ultimately. 

But yeah, it's funny that this is framed as a bad thing, that they copied technology. Every civilization in history gets on by by taking and modifying the ideas and achievements of their neighbors, it's not a deficient trait to have. And clearly enough they understood how it worked well enough if they could keep up with the Echidna and actually construct functional nuclear weaponry. If they weren't clever enough to decipher it and the sciences behind it properly, they'd have never gotten anywhere. 

Course, who knows; maybe Hawking there is just a racist and his perspective on the matter is clouded by his own experiances and growing up during a time of war against the dingo.

Ah, but that would imply Penders is capable of THAT much depth and nuance. So tragically, this guy's words are The Objective Truth, for he is One Of The Good Guys. 

• Thumbs Up 2

For some reason, I was thinking the Dingoes were supposed to be similar to Fidel Castro's Cuba, presumably next to Echidnopolis' U.S.

And I forgot that despite the fact that the Echidnas themselves created nukes for the Dingoes to copy and use (in addition to Station Square and Robotnik's own nukes from Bollers' plots), it was only during the investigation of Kintobor's Lab with Issac that Sonic and crew found out about mankind's horrible legacy: NUCLEAR WEAPONS IN ICBMS!!!!

...Which wouldn't have been able to launch or work properly, due to the half-life being met (depending on what timeline you followed), or at the very least there would not have been fuel left in said missiles to actually launch. Those kinds of petroleum don't for hundreds of years, let alone thousands; which is the same mistake L. Ron made in Battlefield Earth with human miliatary fighter jets.

• Thumbs Up 2

For some reason, I was thinking the Dingoes were supposed to be similar to Fidel Castro's Cuba, presumably next to Echidnopolis' U.S.

And I forgot that despite the fact that the Echidnas themselves created nukes for the Dingoes to copy and use (in addition to Station Square and Robotnik's own nukes from Bollers' plots), it was only during the investigation of Kintobor's Lab with Issac that Sonic and crew found out about mankind's horrible legacy: NUCLEAR WEAPONS IN ICBMS!!!!

...Which wouldn't have been able to launch or work properly, due to the half-life being met (depending on what timeline you followed), or at the very least there would not have been fuel left in said missiles to actually launch. Those kinds of petroleum don't for hundreds of years, let alone thousands; which is the same mistake L. Ron made in Battlefield Earth with human miliatary fighter jets.

Given the complex history between the two and the US's part in creating the circumstances that led to communist Cuba, I somehow doubt that Penders would do anything that could so sully the perception and reputation of his oh-so-precious Echidna. 

Ah yes, Ivan Kintobor and Isaac. I once heard that he was going to try and build Ivan up into the new main villain of the book, what with his birth date being 6/6/6 (subtle, Ken, reaall subtle). But yeah, it is rather funny that despite the past history of nuclear use in the comic and the past use of actual guns and the like, Penders felt the need to shoehorn an anti-nuclear statement in addition to having Rotor suddenly hating guns, despite Penders himself writing Rotor as having aimed and fired a freaking *cannon* at Robotnik. 

Course, that's Penders for you. I've long suspected that his insistence on putting such issues in the comic was due to him wanting to be taken seriously and be viewed as 'relevant', despite how clumsy his handling of said issues is and how limited his insights are. He wants brownie points for doing the bare minimum. 

• Thumbs Up 1

God damn it, Penders wrote exactly the shit he did on Sonic and Archie. Just exchange "they" for "Penders".

What a fucking ironic echo.

Edited by ZDozer
  • Thumbs Up 4

Actually, I just thought it sounded like a good reference to what Penders is doing himself with LSC.

Indeed I know, and the irony is all kinds of amazing, but really, there's so much to dissect from this in addition to admiring it's nigh-prophetic content. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Apologies for the double post, friends, but we've finally got a few tweets that are actually about LSC. 

Whelp. I am officially terrified. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Judging by the scapped 20 Years Later page where Julie found out she was pregnant (then went horseback riding...), it's probably "You almost had a little brother or sister. But they died before they hatched and we never told you."

Wait... since Knuckles & Julie were teens? ...Older sibling? Turns out Lien-Da's son, your cousin Rutan, is actually your older brother we gave to your aunt since she was barren due to her cybernetics/Knuckles is Rutan's surrogate father, thus he is actually the true heir of being Pretorian?

...Julie was raped before we got married?

That makes two of us.

• Thumbs Up 7

I don't like the sound of that...  If it's something that would never have been allowed in Sonic, which was allowed to have a lot of god awful crud happen in the past, then what the hell kind of shock twist is he making?  With this being Penders though, my guess is something very uncomfortable.  More so than ever, since he brought some (if not the majority) of the most "How did he get away with that!?" moments in Sonic comics.

• Thumbs Up 5

I don't like the sound of that...  If it's something that would never have been allowed in Sonic, which was allowed to have a lot of god awful crud happen in the past, then what the hell kind of shock twist is he making?  With this being Penders though, my guess is something very uncomfortable.  More so than ever, since he brought some (if not the majority) of the most "How did he get away with that!?" moments in Sonic comics.

Exactly what kind of moments are we talking about here?

Exactly what kind of moments are we talking about here?

The blatant Nazi parodies, Geoffrey being WAY too old for Sally, ripping off that poem and that story in which Evil Sonic hitting on every main female characters (which gave some really questionable moments) are to name a few.

• Thumbs Up 4

Considering he had planned teenage sex in the book to be in TL-SC somewhere, you just know this can't be good. Especially when it Ken Penders trying to be edgy.

That makes two of us.

I'm joining this club. You guys got jackets yet?

• Thumbs Up 3

I love how this is a whole "this ain't your kiddy Sonic comics anymore!"

Also, why in the world would Knuckles or Julie-Su keep secrets from their own kid? Like, Knuckles especially wouldn't after all the shit the Brotherhood did... I know I'm probably building off more of what Flynn did, but even the stories before that showed that Knuckles wasn't particularly happy about being left in the dark as he was (Penders never seemed to pull the trigger on Knuckles actually calling the Brotherhood out from what I remember, though). And wasn't Julie-Su's memory periodically wiped when she was younger or something?

These seem like things they'd like to not put their own kid through. Like... what is there? ...Fuck it, I'll join the "I'm terrified" club.

And it's like he ignores how often he tried to make Sonic more "mature" than it needed to be. I'm honestly not even sure if that was an effort to get the book to "grow up" with its readership or if he just resented writing furry cartoon characters and was desperate to be taken seriously... Actually, no, I know the answer.

Edited by Zaysho

The secret is that Lara-Su is actually a clone using DNA from Knux and Julie-Su because Julie-Su was unable to give birth. Or better yet Lara-Su has an older brother and he's meant to be the next guardian. Considering this guys track record will you honestly be surprised? 

Apologies for the double post, friends, but we've finally got a few tweets that are actually about LSC. 

Judging by the scapped 20 Years Later page where Julie found out she was pregnant (then went horseback riding...), it's probably "You almost had a little brother or sister. But they died before they hatched and we never told you."

Wait... since Knuckles & Julie were teens? ...Older sibling? Turns out Lien-Da's son, your cousin Rutan, is actually your older brother we gave to your aunt since she was barren due to her cybernetics/Knuckles is Rutan's surrogate father, thus he is actually the true heir of being Pretorian?

...Julie was raped before we got married?

That makes two of us.

Considering he had planned teenage sex in the book to be in TL-SC somewhere, you just know this can't be good. Especially when it Ken Penders trying to be edgy.

I'm joining this club. You guys got jackets yet?

Also, why in the world would Knuckles or Julie-Su keep secrets from their own kid? Like, Knuckles especially wouldn't after all the shit the Brotherhood did... I know I'm probably building off more of what Flynn did, but even the stories before that showed that Knuckles wasn't particularly happy about being left in the dark as he was (Penders never seemed to pull the trigger on Knuckles actually calling the Brotherhood out from what I remember, though). And wasn't Julie-Su's memory periodically wiped when she was younger or something?

These seem like things they'd like to not put their own kid through. Like... what is there? ...Fuck it, I'll join the "I'm terrified" club.

And it's like he ignores how often he tried to make Sonic more "mature" than it needed to be. I'm honestly not even sure if that was an effort to get the book to "grow up" with its readership or if he just resented writing furry cartoon characters and was desperate to be taken seriously... Actually, no, I know the answer.

Member numero cinq hath joined the Terrifed club.

In all seriousness, I'm quite concerned on what he's going to come up with.

Then again, it'll take a looong while, so we shouldn't worry....

• Thumbs Up 1

Seriously, I am getting flashbacks to 90s Image with that particular line. He's literally doing the same thing.

For the record, Knuckles did TRY to call out the Brotherhood, but nothing, and I do mean absolutely nothing came of it, and he never really tried again. And yes, Julie-Su DID have her mind wiped twice; once as a kid, and later again when she was a Legionnaire. The revelation of which did absolutely nothing to her and prompted no character development or personal crisis or any number of things that learning your life is a lie would do to you. She didn't even question how the guy telling her all this knew or called into doubt how truthful it was; just a random old guy who shows up, tells her her life, and boom, happy ending for all. 

Oh yeah, as an aside, he's given a rough estimate of when The Storm is gonna be released. You know, that prelude story that was going to have 'more pages the following month'?

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/662524833696104448

Sure it will, Penders. Suuuure it will.

Edited by horridus
  • Thumbs Up 4