Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

The real reason that Pen wouldn't want to make the LSC into a webcomic is because he doesn't want a chance for his material to ever be free to the public. He wants cash immediately, thus the supposed apps and the promise of a OGN only release.

Homestuck, from what I understand, is a free webcomic/thing first, which Hussie then serializes in OGNs. People buy them because they 1) Like the story, and 2) want to support the author so he can keep releasing new material. There are very few people who'd qualify for either category for Pen's cause.

No kidding. I honestly don't doubt that Penders has a few un-ironic fans left. I just don't think they exist in the kind of numbers that will give him the kind of success he craves. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Or any success at all, really. I understand it's harsh, but I don't see him making anything even remotely in the range of a "profit" out of this. I can guarantee that he'll make less money off of this thing than he put into it, and that's only with assuming he ever releases it. And I mean ever, he doesn't seem to have any standards on time, so it's possible that this release date would outlive him and us all.

Edited by Classic Spooky Shaddy
  • Thumbs Up 1

Guys guys guys, all of you are forgetting that he needed to pull a friend from his Magical Hat of Magicness as an excuse/Damage Control Protocol/I done F***ed up...

AGAIN!

How many of those there are now? And why all of them are sentient shields with limbs?

I also wonder if Lowly-Web-Comic-Artist-Friend gets along with French-With-Not-So-Great-French-Skills-Amie.

If I had to voice my opinion on Ken and Webcomics, it would be very short: I just don't see this man getting things done on schedule. Even less, doing it well. It requires a lot of work for this kind of things... And Penders is 3 years (At this rate there will be 4) late in releasing the first issue/book of Lara-Su Chronicles.

Unless it's writing it on his sleep too, and is going to release it as dreams.

Guys guys guys, all of you are forgetting that he needed to pull a friend from his Magical Hat of Magicness as an excuse/Damage Control Protocol/I done F***ed up...

AGAIN!

How many of those there are now? And why all of them are sentient shields with limbs?

There are as many as he needs to defend his more odious choices. Penders is one of those people who likes to fancy himself a liberal, progressive sort of guy, but the actual content of his writing and how he handles those subjects betrays a great deal of ignorance on his part. He's claimed to have a 'rainbow of friends', and I can only recall exactly one instance when one of those friends actually came to his defense on twitter; Elliot S. Maggin. Maggin is a former writer for DC and a fairly prominent figure in creator's rights. He even helped Penders during his trial. Anyway, he stepped up to the plate for Penders and basically accused everyone who was offended by Penders' actions of being paid by Archie to harass him, even wholesale dismissing the Jewish person who had first taken Penders to the task. Maggin himself is Jewish, and decided to play the role of 'minority friend who says its okay and thus absolves the jackass of all wrongdoing'. 

That was a long while back though, and the only time one of Penders 'rainbow of friends' actually spoke up. Other than that? There's only been his word.

Edited by horridus
  • Thumbs Up 1

-EDIT: Removed just in case-

On a more serious note, I really hate the friend excuse. It's the poorest defense you're going to find, because pretty much is used like a "Jail Free Card". "Oh, I happen to have a black transexual jewish potatokin friend? That gives me the chance to be the biggest asshole ever!"

...Just because you "know someone" or can show ties to whatever you're talking about, doesn't mean you're not a pitiful person for the things you say or think. And forcing those "someones" to defend you or be used as a shield for your stupidity makes you a terrible friend too. 

But of course, that's just me.

Edited by Maeson
  • Thumbs Up 1

Considering that he refers to this friend as a 'she', it's probably Dawn Best. I don't really see him having a vast stable of female friends with webcomics, let alone people he'd consider himself in a mentoring position to.

Also the CWC comparisons should probably stop because I can easily see this thread reported for it, and I don't want to lose this thread.

• Thumbs Up 4

He just cannot help himself from going on and on about the lawsuit, can he.  How many years ago was it now?

• Thumbs Up 2

He just cannot help himself from going on and on about the lawsuit, can he.  How many years ago was it now?

Lawsuit was back in 2010?

• Thumbs Up 1

Given that he's talking in the present tense, I'm not sure he's talking about that lawsuit, but starting up a new one.

• Thumbs Up 1

Given that he's talking in the present tense, I'm not sure he's talking about that lawsuit, but starting up a new one.

Could be, but in the absence of clear answers - always a problem with Penders - then I decided to apply a little pattern-recognition.  Heaven help us if he has another lawsuit in the works, perhaps to prevent Sega from infringing on his ideas for the character of Knuckles K'nox Praetorian the Whatt'e'vyer.

Isn't this the man that was planning on going after SEGA for a decade old games collection that featured a story he happened to (co)write? Didn't this not even get off the ground because of how old and obsolete it was? Didn't Archie toss his and other creators' material from future publications (except reprints, which seemed to be fair game) just to appease him? In fact, they give him top billing on certain Archive volumes where he wasn't even the lead writer, or featured at all.

What else could he possibly bother these companies for now?

I kinda doubt it... he didn't create those characters. Nor are they related to anything he created. And one of them he didn't even write for (Storm's more derivative of Fulop's and Strom's work if we're going to be really technical).

I mean, I guess you never know with the guy, but I'm not sure that's it. I'm a little curious what he means by "certain comic book publishers don't believe in living up to their side of the bargain." This would have to be a shot at Archie; he was involved in a lawsuit with them, they settled, his stuff is no longer used. I can't think of anything they've done lately that seems like it'd be an issue. I guess it is suspicious this follows when three highly anticipated characters were announced to return, though, but I don't want to jump to conclusions.

I kinda doubt it... he didn't create those characters. Nor are they related to anything he created. And one of them he didn't even write for (Storm's more derivative of Fulop's and Strom's work if we're going to be really technical).

I mean, I guess you never know with the guy, but I'm not sure that's it. I'm a little curious what he means by "certain comic book publishers don't believe in living up to their side of the bargain." This would have to be a shot at Archie; he was involved in a lawsuit with them, they settled, his stuff is no longer used. I can't think of anything they've done lately that seems like it'd be an issue. I guess it is suspicious this follows when three highly anticipated characters were announced to return, though, but I don't want to jump to conclusions.

That's why I said it better not be them. Archie have literally used absolutely nothing of his, but considering he's the person who claimed "In a way, I own Knuckles because I brought value to him", then it wouldn't surprise me if he attempts the same bullshit measures for Lupe/Dulcy. I don't know what else this idiot can be on about.

I've been trying not to say anything bad about this guy for a while but holy shit is this dude petty as fuck. First of all he didn't even create these characters. 2 of them originated from SatAM and one of them is an original creation by Ian. Instead of filing copyright and getting into lawsuits how about he actually finishes his grand projects? Oh wait that's because this guy knows his projects aren't going to do well do well and this is his only way of staying relevant is doing this. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've been trying not to say anything bad about this guy for a while but holy shit is this dude petty as fuck. First of all he didn't even create these characters. 2 of them originated from SatAM and one of them is an original creation by Ian. Instead of filing copyright and getting into lawsuits how about he actually finishes his grand projects? Oh wait that's because this guy knows his projects aren't going to do well do well and this is his only way of staying relevant is doing this. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

As the Joker would put it.

Leave it to Penders to make such a desperate move all the while riding his smug attitude that he isn't to blame.

• Thumbs Up 2

That's why I said it better not be them. Archie have literally used absolutely nothing of his, but considering he's the person who claimed "In a way, I own Knuckles because I brought value to him", then it wouldn't surprise me if he attempts the same bullshit measures for Lupe/Dulcy. I don't know what else this idiot can be on about.

True. I'd say it'd be pretty hypocritical of him if that is the case... but he did directly knock-off Knuckles, take imagery that didn't belong to him and used it in his work, and keeps fighting for a connection to a property he has no control over while claiming he doesn't need Sonic, Sonic needs him... so I guess I wouldn't be too surprised. I would think even he would realize claims to Lupe/Dulcy would be incredibly flimsy. At least a claim to Julie-Su holds merit.

Huh. I wonder if he finally got C&D'd over K'Nox and he's planning to fight it? I mean, that seems unlikely, because it's been mentioned time and again he hasn't actually sold anything for anyone to take him seriously... but I honestly can't think of anything else that's going on with Archie (if this is indeed something with Archie) that'd make him say things like this at all.

Edited by Zaysho

True. I'd say it'd be pretty hypocritical of him if that is the case... but he did directly knock-off Knuckles, take imagery that didn't belong to him and used it in his work, and keeps fighting for a connection to a property he has no control over while claiming he doesn't need Sonic, Sonic needs him... so I guess I wouldn't be too surprised. I would think even he would realize claims to Lupe/Dulcy would be incredibly flimsy. At least a claim to Julie-Su holds merit.

Huh. I wonder if he finally got C&D'd and he's planning to fight it? Is that a possibility?

Maybe. But doesn't Sega own the right to Knuckles and it would be them who would C&D Penders?

• Thumbs Up 1

The only thing I can possibly think of that would make him claim something like this is is the Egg Army and the Egg Bosses, purely on the basis of them being Evil Cyborgs and being a replacement for the Dark Legion post-reboot, even though their entire concept is far, far removed from the Legion.

Maybe. But doesn't Sega own the right to Knuckles and it would be them who would C&D Penders?

Point. The thing is so vaguely worded, that's the first thing that came to mind.

The only thing I can possibly think of that would make him claim something like this is is the Egg Army and the Egg Bosses, purely on the basis of them being Evil Cyborgs and being a replacement for the Dark Legion post-reboot, even though their entire concept is far, far removed from the Legion.

I hadn't thought of this, actually. But that isn't even a unique concept that... oh right, Chronicles.

So what about this, what if The Lara-Su Chronicles is actually good? Im not defending Penders or anything, its just that people never really thought about that. Like if the story was more developed than we thought and the art style is actually good somehow. Granted people might still hate it just cause of the history of Penders....

If that were to happen, then sure, all power to him.  TLSC being good is the only thing that would really excuse his possessive attitude towards Sega properties and designs.  But the evidence we have is that exactly the opposite is true - and really, for the kind of person Penders is, I'm not sure he's capable of producing something good enough to eclipse his flaws.

• Thumbs Up 8