Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

....really? Common sense, fair play, and Penders don't really go well together.

To put it mildly. This is a guy who relied on the fact that the copyright office doesn't bother to investigate stuff to get copyrights on his Sonic stuff under Archie's nose. 

• Thumbs Up 4

While I think it's fair he can't really talk publicly about this... what really was the point of announcing he was taking any kind of legal action, and wording it so vaguely that he would have to know he'd get questioned and jumped on by irate Sonic fans? This is a private matter that's not even been to court yet, what possible reason would he have for spouting this crap? Attention? Pretending he has weight to throw around?

I guess we can all chill out on it, now, but it'll be interesting to see how things develop on this on the side.

All the major players in the comic book industry keep their fingers on the pulse of Ken Penders's Twitter.  A clue here, a hint there - this man's closely-guarded comments could mean life or death to a booming industry all too close to being overwhelmed with legal scandals and corruption!  It's a good thing that this veritable éminence grise uses his influence over the industry carefully - for in the immortal words of Ken Penders himself, "Great responsibility comes with great power"TM.

• Thumbs Up 9

While I think it's fair he can't really talk publicly about this... what really was the point of announcing he was taking any kind of legal action, and wording it so vaguely that he would have to know he'd get questioned and jumped on by irate Sonic fans?

Yeah...this is one thing that really mystifies me about Penders. Nothing he does ever accomplishes anything other than angering Sonic fans. Surely he can't not know that this is the response he always gets, so why does he keep doing the same things? What is he trying to accomplish?

• Thumbs Up 6

Yeah...this is one thing that really mystifies me about Penders. Nothing he does ever accomplishes anything other than angering Sonic fans. Surely he can't not know that this is the response he always gets, so why does he keep doing the same things? What is he trying to accomplish?

He either wants attention real badly or really is just that stupid and incapable of understanding others. It's hard to tell with him. 

Anyway, having looked around a bit, I'm now certain this has nothing to do with Sonic, and everything to do with those three puny issues he did for Impact comics. He's going after Archie over it.

http://www.tssznews.com/2015/10/20/ken-penders-hints-second-lawsuit-in-tweet/comment-page-2/#comments

Take a look whose choosing to speak on his lordship's behalf. Scroll down to see. 

• Thumbs Up 1

More and more, this is looking to do with Impact and less to do with Archie Sonic. If that's the case, I'm behind him. He has every right to residuals if he singed a contract. I just wish he'd have been more clear to begin with.

• Thumbs Up 3

More and more, this is looking to do with Impact and less to do with Archie Sonic. If that's the case, I'm behind him. He has every right to residuals if he singed a contract. I just wish he'd have been more clear to begin with.

Yeah, as I said, I think this does have to do with Impact. So yeah, mystery solved, and we should probably get back on track given that this definitely has nothing to do with LSC or Sonic. 

At least he'll have a fresh excuse for why LSC is delayed yet again.

• Thumbs Up 6

Wow, I get a little busy and this happens. Thankfully this seems to be an entirely different matter.

Although I almost got a little mad when I read "common sense and fair play" comming out from Ken Penders. I could feel the salt flowing through my veins for a moment.

Trying to put what I see in just one sentence. It seems to me that Penders wanted some kind of attention, but because he is Penders, he had to say things in "meaningful" yet "mysterious" ways, and everything went wrong from there.

So if he was more clear (Or just kept this for himself) this wouldn't have happened.

At least I got a chuckle out of "Even ur surrender has plotholes Ken".

At least he'll have a fresh excuse for why LSC is delayed yet again.

Meh, don't be like that. It makes little difference if we have to wait a little more...After all, were going to be dead by then either way.

• Thumbs Up 6

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's been a while, so let's take a quick look to see what Ken's been doing since we've last checked on him.

Hmmm.... lessee. We got him trying to kiss Elliot Maggin's butt again by saying that, because Ollie Queen is running for mayor on Arrow, it's obviously based on a story that Maggin did where something similar happened. So every story has to be credited to an author who works on a license book? I believe that characters themselves should be credited to their creators, but stories? If it was directly based on a story previously done in a comic, you'd think think that they'd already do that, such as a DC Animated Movie where "Based on the original story by X and Y" happens. Did they credit Neal Adams and just leave Maggin out to dry on this Arrow episode? Because what it seems is Ken trying to rile up his most famous supporter so he stays in Ken's corner.

What else...He's changing the page layout on the LS-C because it "didn't fully utilize the full potential of the digital format". I.E. MORE DELAYS, HAVE TO CHANGE EVVRYTHANG!

"Print comics are gonna die soon, with GCNs following digital only if customers want a print copy." Blah blah blah...

Oh, and this is rich, Ken giving SEGA advice on the future of Sonic. With these gems as a capper.

I wonder if he means the current Archie Sonic stuff or.... "USE MY STUFF IN SAWNIC AND GIVE ME MONEY!"

Edited by biznizz

I wonder if he means the current Archie Sonic stuff or.... "USE MY STUFF IN SAWNIC AND GIVE ME MONEY!"

Given how he claims to never read the comics and cheerfully disparages the contributions of not just Flynn but his own co-workers, I'm gonna put this in the 'passive agressive attempt to insert himself back into Sonic' category of things. 

Which is doubly rich given that the last time a game DID try and do that, he flipped his lid, and the simple memory of him is perhaps the biggest reason that SEGA would never, ever adopt anything from the comics into the games, even now when they are closer together than ever. 

Course, that whole statement about what Sonic 'needs' to do is just as rich, given that he actively ignored the games for years and years and even operates under the belief/delusion that it is HIS run on Sonic that is the most iconic and globally recognized. That, and the fact that he has zero business experiance in this area and isn't really in a position to talk about another properties handlers given his own dubious decisions with LSC, but hey, if there wasn't a great deal of hypocrisy and self-righteousness involved, it just wouldn't be Penders, would it?

• Thumbs Up 9

Looks like ol' Kenny boy thinks Ian Flynn talking about the plans he originally had for the Sonic comic is going to get him in trouble.

I'm REALLY trying to figure out how the fuck any of this has to do with his current legal actions against Archie. Flynn had nothing to do with Impact. Even remotely. 

Frankly, I'm wondering if he's just being spiteful over the fact people were looking forward to Flynn releasing his unused ideas while his own 'plans I never got to use' were met without any fanfare. Actually, scratch that, I'm not wondering at all. 

• Thumbs Up 2

The thing about this is that other writers have published their plans before. The only difference is that Flynn is an active writer, but it shouldn't matter because it has no impact on the book's current direction. And, honestly, given how public he's been about this, if Archie or SEGA had a problem with it, they'd have told him not to before now, wouldn't they? It's just odd.

There's a part of me that's thinking he isn't talking about LHT, but if he isn't, it wouldn't make sense if it had something to do regarding Impact. Would something like LHT really break some sort of non-disclosure agreement if it's all, essentially, unofficial?

Ah, OK. I was a bit confused since the earlier part of the thread that came out sounded like more vague, cryptic nonsense. The part of the thread where he said Flynn wasn't a fan was what made me question it, but it didn't make sense to do with much else if he was bothering to take his little potshot at Flynn at all.

Still, I just don't get what the point of him saying anything at all is. The first page of the thing has a lengthy disclaimer that refers to the contents as speculative. It really doesn't make a difference whether Flynn is currently employed or not. I really wish he'd quit with the shit stirring and focus on his own work.

Ironic how he wants his characters to be incorporated into the games when his actions contributed to them being removed from the comic, i.e. the only Sonic media in which they ever appeared.

I am so done with Penders thinking he has anything to do with Sonic. Not only are his contributions extremely minor in the grand scheme of things (I honestly wouldn't be surprised if most Sonic fans had never even heard of Geoffery St. John), perhaps even more importantly, he doesn't even CARE about Sonic or what Sonic is or anything that Sonic has ever been outside of his writings. Whatever vague interest he has in Sonic or Knuckles or anybody is completely self-serving. It's just really lame, to be honest. And annoying for anyone who's actually a fan of the hedgehog. At this point, though, I just have to roll my eyes at how lame it is.

did the series come out and why did this writer leave?

As to whether it's come out yet, no. He's revealed one page of the main book and one page of the prologue so far. And as for why he left, my understanding is that, simply put, higher-ups wanted him to do more with material from the games, and he didn't want to, so he quit.

• Thumbs Up 1

(I honestly wouldn't be surprised if most Sonic fans had never even heard of Geoffery St. John)

The name doesn't exactly scream "Sonic," does it?  That particular theory is almost certainly correct.

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks like ol' Kenny boy thinks Ian Flynn talking about the plans he originally had for the Sonic comic is going to get him in trouble.

I... kinda figured something like that was gonna happen.

I was intially thinking he was jealous that Ch1 of LHT was out and it's getting more attention than his LSC, but it can be more than that.

If I was at SEGA, I surely would shove money into him and use his characters... but not as he wanted to. I'll make sure to rip the character rights off him and call Ian Flynn to help me write the stories.

Then I would have a lot of fun at Penders' expense.