Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Meh, signed up just to comment on this, I truly have no life.

Anyway.

I'm just taking wild guess here but I'll say since the last trial indicated that there were no contracts, Old Pender's is gunning for more moonies by expanding what he gets royalties for.  If he gets it for physical reprints it make sense that he also gets it for digital reprints. And in a way the APP is new which means it now covered a new avenue for Archie to profit and Pender's wants a slice of that pie... well good, let him have it.

I don't like Archie very much, too many dark memories of the late 90ties and early 2000 with their really questionable comic quality and stories as well as some editorial decisions taken doing the Mecha-Sally arc.

In my opinion it would have been a better choice for Pender if he'd have just handle this a little more low key. Going about it all cryptic like this just provides him with a lot of negative publicity which logically should be avoided at all cost... 

Oscar Wilde:The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.

Oh yeah.

More from Penders regarding what his damage is, precisely. 

And with each post, I get more and more confused. What issues? What difference??

• Thumbs Up 3

He's talking complete and utter shit. I just checked an issue of Sonic I have on Archie's new app (#131 which has the first part of M25YL and its identical to how it was on Archie's older app. Penders' credits are even at the end of the M25YL prologue that's in #131.

Edited by Ryannumber1gamer
  • Thumbs Up 4

I would have said maybe the app has "remastered" content--new colors, touch ups, that sort of thing... but to my knowledge the issues that have been available on comiXology (if he's still referring to Sonic here) used the Archive masters, which were touched up/recolored already. And, if I had to guess, issues that would eventually be released in collected form were already recolored/touched up (could someone confirm this?).

I can't think of anything else, really. If someone has both comiXology and the Archie App, maybe they could look into it? I'm a little doubtful anything's really changed, though, but I'd like to know for sure.

Maybe the difference is something invisible on the reader side - something to do with royalty payments, as has been coming up a lot in speculation lately.

• Thumbs Up 1

40+ Freelancers who never singed anything? For the first case? Where it was over your copyright?

• Thumbs Up 1

Kinda funny he brings them up, given that after the trial he's done everything in his power to hog credit for the successes of the comic while downplaying the role anybody and everybody else might have played. To say nothing of his opinion of inkers and colorists, who in his mind don't really count. 

• Thumbs Up 3

TL-SC_Cover_Art_R1_Web.jpg

Ummmm huh?? (BTW she looks sexualised here, ugh.)

Many have pointed this out, not that it mattered; Penders steadfastly refuses to hear any criticism of that godforsaken outfit. At all. Over and over again it was pointed out as troubling, but he'd have none of it. He just keeps screaming about being a feminist, and absolves himself of any wrongdoing afterward. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Many have pointed this out, not that it mattered; Penders steadfastly refuses to hear any criticism of that godforsaken outfit. At all. Over and over again it was pointed out as troubling, but he'd have none of it. He just keeps screaming about being a feminist, and absolves himself of any wrongdoing afterward. 

I wasnt around when that happened but yeah i agree

• Thumbs Up 1

It doesn't take much digging at all to find out that he's lying through his teeth about this imaginary positive reception. You could go to his forums and read up on how people who are actively trying to help the man get treated when their suggestions are ignored and they're treated like trolls and criminals by Penders and this one insane moderator dude whose ego is so bloated he even made the claim that he had the power to ban Penders himself. 

It's hilarious stuff. I encourage everyone to go check it out if you haven't already. You'll rarely find a better comedy.

• Thumbs Up 1

So BobR is still the moderator at the ghost town that is Penders' forum huh? Wow.

My new current theory about Penders' latest sabre-rattling is that the new Archie app which, from the sounds of it, has Penders' issues of Sonic, and he's seeking more compensation because the new app is "different" than the old app, and thus is a new avenue of reprint royalties that he feels entitled for.

• Thumbs Up 3

So BobR is still the moderator at the ghost town that is Penders' forum huh? Wow.

My new current theory about Penders' latest sabre-rattling is that the new Archie app which, from the sounds of it, has Penders' issues of Sonic, and he's seeking more compensation because the new app is "different" than the old app, and thus is a new avenue of reprint royalties that he feels entitled for.

He claims that there is a "notable difference" between "certain issues" sold on the Comixology App versus the Archie App. I'm trying to figure out what the heck he could possibly be on about with this one, but as I have neither app, nor any insight into which issues he's talking about, I'm coming up with nada. 

Hey, Penders was right! The did make a movie based on his material, and he didn't even have to actually release or, you know, finish it!

Check it out! It's a Very Lara-Su Christmas!

Oh wait, my bad. It's just a movie starring Anthony Mackie. Honest mistake, right?

• Thumbs Up 3

I haven't seen the issues nor what it looks like in the new app, but most likely they've done a bit of touch up color wise, altered a text front or two and maybe slapped on a sticker saying read this in our new app.

Off hand I'd say Pender's is expecting this to go the way of the last trial, but with Archie throwing up their hands in frustration before giving him a check to cash at the nearest bank a lot faster so he'll go away.

• Thumbs Up 1

tumblr_inline_nxxl885RVW1re1bwb_540.png

So basically he just made it clear that true devotion to this project would necessitate him dying

• Thumbs Up 4

Okay, I checked the new Archie app and sure enough, the entire back library of Sonic comics is in there. That's why he's going back to court.

Y'know what? I gotta agree with him here. He managed to settle out of court for royalty rights and Archie is apparently trying to screw him out of royalties. Possibly trying to show that royalties only count towards print or something like that, But hey, if they're making money off his previous work whether it's digital or print, I think he's entitled to his royalties on that TBH.

• Thumbs Up 1

You still shouldn't show support to him. Lest SEGA decides to terminate once for all the Archie Sonic comic because of this imbecile fucking around like he owns the franchise when he's also violating the franchise's copyright.

Edited by ZDozer
  • Thumbs Up 1

That's a shame. I like it better when his claims are ridiculous so that I don't have to feel sympathy for him. The poor writers of this comic are constantly getting screwed by both Archie and Penders because while Penders is a fucknut, Archie is a corporation that doesn't seem to be the best at keeping all it's promises

• Thumbs Up 4

Whelp, guess that means the comic is doomed now. No way is SEGA gonna let them keep the lisense if they keep getting into rows with this guy. 

I don't get it though. The Comixology App evidently paid royalties given that he never complained about that one, but this Archie App doesn't?? How the heck does that work?

• Thumbs Up 1

tumblr_inline_nxxl885RVW1re1bwb_540.png

So basically he just made it clear that true devotion to this project would necessitate him dying

Like all the great artists, right?  Behold, the artistic curriculum of future ages: Johannes Vermeer; Vincent Van Gogh; Ken Penders.

Okay, I checked the new Archie app and sure enough, the entire back library of Sonic comics is in there. That's why he's going back to court.

Y'know what? I gotta agree with him here. He managed to settle out of court for royalty rights and Archie is apparently trying to screw him out of royalties. Possibly trying to show that royalties only count towards print or something like that, But hey, if they're making money off his previous work whether it's digital or print, I think he's entitled to his royalties on that TBH.

If Penders does actually have a legitimate complaint, then, while it's kind of annoying, I have to back him all the way.  Darn.  Just what are Archie playing at?  Trying to get Sonic cancelled too, to scrape together more funding for their mainline series?

• Thumbs Up 2

Like all the great artists, right?  Behold, the artistic curriculum of future ages: Johannes Vermeer; Vincent Van Gogh; Ken Penders.

If Penders does actually have a legitimate complaint, then, while it's kind of annoying, I have to back him all the way.  Darn.  Just what are Archie playing at?  Trying to get Sonic cancelled too, to scrape together more funding for their mainline series?

Woulda been nice if he could just make things clear from the start rather than being vague. Or at least mention royalties in some capacity up til this point. 

As for Archie, if they wanted to do THAT then this is a weird way to go about it, given that they could easily just cancel the series and be done with it. I really have no idea where their heads are at that they're pulling this, particularly since, like I said, Penders had no troubles with that Comixology App (that I know of), so what made them do a U-Turn with this one?

Edited by horridus
  • Thumbs Up 1