Awoo.

Season 1 | Sonic Boom: TV Series Discussion

Ming Ming Hatsune

I don't think the series has ever given Eggman a black comedy motif.

Eggman could get pretty darkly humorous with his announcer chatter in Sonic Colors in between the game's more corny jokes. I personally think black comedy fits him pretty well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Eggman could get pretty darkly humorous with his announcer chatter in Sonic Colors in between the game's more corny jokes. I personally think black comedy fits him pretty well.

I do too. He's the villain, he can get away with it.

Thing is, you don't want to go overboard with it, too much. Bits and pieces here. But you don't want it to start seeming edgy.

Also we arent talking about sonic adventure. The eggman in that game is a totally different guy from the one in recent games.

What?

What he is suddenly a threatening villain because the writers put in people who are scared of him?

franziska-whip.gifNo. That's just plain silly talk and trivialization of the point. Pay attention to detail and you'll notice that it's getting at the fact Ivo was written as a threatening character nd the reactions of characters were an effect caused by it. From constantly getting the drop on the the heroes, to nearly nuking a city, the guy goes quite a ways to get his way, and people were terrified of him as a result, not just a shilled tell-all book-case, and one that's actually backed up mind you.

Also we arent talking about sonic adventure. The eggman in that game is a totally different guy from the one in recent games.

Yes eggman can be written as a threatening villain as could anyone else. But they arent doing it.

Aside from the fact that continuity wise, he is indeed the same character and that you're incorrect in that rite, you seem to be contradicting your own argument, submitting that Eggman actually was legitimately threatening in the example I used.

To be fair, the point stated was "Eggman isn't a credible villain," not "never was." I mean, if we're going to be using examples we should be taking them from the most recent games because they define his most current characterization, the one that matters. And I agree, he's not really being written like he was in Adventure anymore- a game in which he was actually threatening- mainly because the series has taken on a tongue-in-cheek tone where most happenings can't remain serious on their own merits for long, and if something was genuinely serious such as in parts of Lost World's climax, then it wasn't actually Eggman waving the gun around in the first place.

Yea, Eggman's threat level is currently kind of undermined by how the series seems to have devolved into making a joke about how much of a loser he is. Seriously, ever since Colors, nearly all of the jokes are at Eggman's expense and to twist the knife even further, Sonic is portrayed as completely justified in his taunting. There's also the fact that they're underplaying the villain part of his character.

I mean, he's definitely an entertaining character by merit of his personality, but they're not treating him like much of a villain. Bowser comes off as more of a villain because they actually take him seriously despite sticking to the same old plot.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yea, Eggman's threat level is currently kind of undermined by how the series seems to have devolved into making a joke about how much of a loser he is. Seriously, ever since Colors, nearly all of the jokes are at Eggman's expense and to twist the knife even further, Sonic is portrayed as completely justified in his taunting. There's also the fact that they're underplaying the villain part of his character.

I mean, he's definitely an entertaining character by merit of his personality, but they're not treating him like much of a villain. Bowser comes off as more of a villain because they actually take him seriously despite sticking to the same old plot.

Just because the characters/Sonic makes fun of Eggman doesnt make Eggman himself any less/more of a villian, it's not like Spider-Man runs on this kind of logic.

Just because the characters/Sonic makes fun of Eggman doesnt make Eggman himself any less/more of a villian, it's not like Spider-Man runs on this kind of logic.

It kind of does because once again, Sonic is portrayed as in the right when calling Eggman a loser; look at how Eggman has lost in recent games. He's once again swatted aside by a force outside his control in Unleashed, in Colors he loses because of a freak accident, and in Generations and Lost World he reveals himself as the villain literally right before the Final Boss only to lose once again.

Comparing that to Spider Man is kind of superficial, because his villains come off as more threatening because he usually does have to try and beat them despite his taunting, and they're constant threat from start to finish instead of hastily being slapped into the third act.

• Thumbs Up 1

I personally think Lost World handled Eggman really well in that regard, even with the Deadly Six's turn on him he wasn't treated as a loser over it. It helps that it wasn't really a mistake on his part. Not only that but, Sonic's attitude towards him was a lot less dismissive than Colours and Generations. It was a nice change of pace and hopefully they stick with that.

It kind of does because once again, Sonic is portrayed as in the right when calling Eggman a loser

I agree with your point when it comes to Colours and Generations, but LW already toned it down, and I have no reason to believe they'll go back to Sonic coming across as not caring/trying when it comes to Eggman.

• Thumbs Up 3

I really don't understand the praise everyone has for Eggman in Lost World honestly. I get that his loss of control this time wasn't his fault, and yea he made that badass speech but beyond that, he doesn't really ''do'' much as a villain. He was literally shoehorned into the final boss role.

I really liked Eggman in Lost World, but he wasn't much of a villain, mainly because he spends 75% of the game helping Sonic out rather than being an antagonist. He didn't even seem to have a back up plan in case he did lose control.

• Thumbs Up 2

I really don't understand the praise everyone has for Eggman in Lost World honestly. I get that his loss of control this time wasn't his fault, and yea he made that badass speech but beyond that, he doesn't really ''do'' much as a villain. He was literally shoehorned into the final boss role.

I really liked Eggman in Lost World, but he wasn't much of a villain, mainly because he spends 75% of the game helping Sonic out rather than being an antagonist. He didn't even seem to have a back up plan in case he did lose control.

I thought that helping Sonic out was his revenge on the Six of sorts. What better payback than to send your arch-nemesis on those bunch of disobedient creatures.

As for the lack of a back-up... this is same guy that blew the shit out of his own airship just to defeat Sonic. I think most of what Eggman does after the initial planing is sort of on the spot.

Thinking about it some more, I think the endgame as a whole would have been a lot more satisfying (especially after the badass Frozen Factory speech) if Eggman revealed he had actually found the Conch again and used the Deadly Six during the final boss. That, and the actual final boss being not at all interesting was the only real problem I had with the ending in regards to Eggman himself. Still, I liked how Sonic was essentially Eggman's on the fly backup plan, and it worked too!

In any case, I'm kind of liking the take on Eggman Boom has demonstrated so far. The game in particular interests me with Eggy though, since he's (apparently) new at villainy. I'm curious to see how he develops there...and, the more I think about it, if there might be some backstory with him and Sonic. Some of the dialogue during the boss fight gave me the impression that they've met before, at least.

• Thumbs Up 9

The reason people praise Lost World for Eggman is the ice wall punching scene. Him bantering a threat no one thought (especially with several previous showcases of weakness by the series )  he could come up with, and showing a surprising level of strength.

Which is fine, on its own. That warps people into going, "Whoa, holy crap! Eggman's awesome!"

However, the ending decides to ignore that. A bridge was made that should have been crossed. Eggman should have taken out, at least, Zavok of the D6. But that didn't happen. So, the threat, while cool, was utterly pointless.

The wall scene is basically looking at a fat kid in the playground finally stepping up to a bully. But the ending is like the bully just shoved the fat kid to the ground and started kicking him.

Doesn't help that the ending reverted back to the Colors' "humor" and the entire ending was doing nothing but shoving jokes at his expense. Guess that's the kicking part.

• Thumbs Up 4

You know, I was thinking about this show earlier and the possible plots we may get. If the show's going to be a lot more humorous than other Sonic cartoons and the games I have one wish. Seeing as how most shows do Halloween/Christmas special for their cartoons, there's a chance Boom will get something similar, right? Well in the chance they do make a Christmas themed short, I would love to see a parody of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" but with Eggman in the role of the Grinch. I think it could play out well and there's definitely many jokes they can make. Anyone else have a plot they'd like to see in this show?

• Thumbs Up 2

You know, I was thinking about this show earlier and the possible plots we may get. If the show's going to be a lot more humorous than other Sonic cartoons and the games I have one wish. Seeing as how most shows do Halloween/Christmas special for their cartoons, there's a chance Boom will get something similar, right? Well in the chance they do make a Christmas themed short, I would love to see a parody of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" but with Eggman in the role of the Grinch. I think it could play out well and there's definitely many jokes they can make. Anyone else have a plot they'd like to see in this show?

They're gonna have a, "Sonic and Co. must save Christmas special." That's been the plot for years now, it won't change anytime soon.

A Halloween special in which Sticks is paranoid. She's certain something is watching them, and then- ghosts!!!

Or something.

I'd like to see what the group do for fun. Looks like Amy has some circus tricks, but any hobbies?

Also I think Knuckles was drawing on that clipboard (and that's adorable)

Anyone else have a plot they'd like to see in this show?

I would honestly like to see a Freaky Friday flip plot where Eggman uses a device to (possibly unintentionally) switch places with Sonic and cause trouble. Yeah, I know, Freaky Friday flip, real original plot. However, judging by the trailers, Boom looks like it's going to be a pretty well written show, so I bet it could take this cliche plot normally used for standard shenanigans and make a genuinely hilarious and action packed episode out of it (which seems to be this show's goal, anyway, based on some of the plots we already know).

• Thumbs Up 2

Wasn't that a plot in one of the Sonic X comics?

Yes, it was. It was called "The Big Switcheroo'. And it spawned this thing. (This was actually a meme on the SEGA forums for some time.)

ntrxf11.jpg

I wouldn't know, I never read much of any of the Sonic comics. Boom's looking way better than any of the other Sonic comics or cartoons, anyway, so I'd still like to see the plot in Boom's style.