Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

New character reveal at E3?

Well, I'ma hop in my hypemobile.

I presume it will be the villain of the game, since it's not looking like it's Eggman. It would be good to have a non-Eggman villain since it's a prequel and would establish this villain so he or she could rotate places with Eggman in the cartoon. It's safe to presume the show's going to have a rogues gallery of sorts.

I think the reason they left Naughty Dog (I guess the same thing with the Insomniac guys) was to not be forced into making realistic games, as the development of Uncharted 1 was a bit messy; the Jak/Crash guys wanted to make a platformer similar to that rather than a realistic shooter and seeing that Uncharted was going to be the "new" face of Naughty Dog, they left mid development (it was reported that Naughty Dog was bleeding tallent during UC1's development) or they stuck around until the game was finished before they fully left.

They left Naughty Dog because they wanted to make the games THEY wanted to make, and landing this new gig making the next Sonic tittle is a great way to kick that off smile.png.

I guess that is another reason they are working on Sonic rather than a new IP; to make a big splash ala Rocksteady with Batman, Retro with Metriod, ect. Working with a major IP ensures that you will get alot of funding and plenety of time to get your project done well, plus you get help from the big guys themselves (ex: Ninja Theory got combat designers from past DMC games to help out with DmC). I think the game will turn out fine considering the talent on board smile.png.

Hmm, all fair points! Thank you for the information! Well, I certainly have more reason to put my faith in them.

This is basically a lot like SEGA's deal with Nintendo in mutual benefits. Since they're a new company SEGA probably recruited them very cheaply, which is a win for them, as is the fact they've got a good resume as individuals. The win for Red Button is that this game could catapult them to fame as a developer, the same way a lot of actors became famous for a particular role.

If this does well I really hope Red Button becomes a regular partner like Sumo Digital.

• Thumbs Up 5

Not sure if anyone pointed it out yet but i just noticed after going through the trailer again again trying to see if i missed and anything(and i i did) that Sonic is using his down kick? cant really explain it but it reminded me of this.

500px-sonic-battle-3.png

Hey.... Hey... Hey.... SSMB.

I've been thinking... 

You know how yesterday in that interview he kinda dodged the question about Super Sonic?

Well... imagine Super Sonic is in the game. The game is said to be a 2 player co-op game, and we've seen segments with all 4 characters on screen both in the combat arenas and the running stages.

Sooooo

Would it be out of the question to expect all 4 of them to have a super form?

• Thumbs Up 4

I've been thinking... 

You know how yesterday in that interview he kinda dodged the question about Super Sonic?

Well... imagine Super Sonic is in the game. The game is said to be a 2 player co-op game, and we've seen segments with all 4 characters on screen both in the combat arenas and the running stages.

Sooooo

I didn't even think of that. It'd be pretty cool if they did, considering Tails and Knuckles already had one before. I just hope that if the other characters do get a super form, it's not just that dumb super-bubble thing they got in Heroes.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've been thinking... 

Sooooo

They'd never do it this was but I'm picturing Sonic, Tails and Knuckles turning super and physically blowing off their sports tape with the force. I'd say the same sort of thing for Amy, but that's asking for trouble...

Knuckles could potentially look like the Boxer Hockey Super Sonic.

This pleases me.

• Thumbs Up 7

I hope they don't. It cheapens it to give it to everyone. Personally I'm expecting they'll just leave out Super Sonic entirely. Hell at this point we don't even know if the emeralds are going to exist in the Boomverse.

The Chaos Emeralds and Super Sonic are pretty well-entrenched (and popular? I think?) aspects of the franchise, but they have a way of making any story they appear in all about them. If one of the key ideas for Boom is a focus on story, they might want to skip the Emeralds and anything to do with them just to give themselves some room to write something new.

I also can't really think of a way they could be included in the cartoon in a reasonable way, if it's going to stick with the two-shorts no-arcs format. Just about all you could do with the Emeralds in a show like that is use them as a Deus Ex Machina, which would be kind of sucky.

Also, if they want to incorporate rings into the show kind of like SatAM did, as powerups or whatever, the Emeralds might be a little redundant with that.

Knuckles could potentially look like the Boxer Hockey Super Sonic.

This pleases me.

Screenshot from the final battle: Super Knuckles vs. Shadow and Eggman

418.jpg

Super Amy could either be the most badass thing ever or the goofiest thing ever.

Even better she could be both!

If super forms do make it into this, I would expect it to only be used for the final battle and only for sonic but he can basically do everything that the other characters can do as a result. But I agree with octraine on this one where they should just probably leave them out since the story for the game/story doesn't really seem to have much use for them and I don't think they have really figured out a new super design for sonic yet.

New character reveal at E3?

Possibly a fifth playable character?rolleyes.gif  After all, that Stephen Frost interview did suggest more than just the four as playable.wink.png

Possibly a fifth playable character?rolleyes.gif  After all, that Stephen Frost interview did suggest more than just the four as playable.wink.png

Let's hope it doesn't become a Sonic '06 repeat where they throw as many as they can into the mixing pot and none of them work all that well.

60FPS should be a standard in Sonic games.

After playing Lost World and Sonic Racing Transformed [PC], 30fps is really lame.

• Thumbs Up 1

The user TimmiT just posted this on SonicRetro

It may be the previous interview's transcript, but the summary provided by TimmiT was really nice, and I thought it deserved a re-posting.

It's amazing that this game started in 2011, I need to keep reminding myself that was three years ago.

Edit: No I believe this is a separate interview, conducted by CVG.

News'd it. Lots of cool little details here, I'm especially interested in the details of the gameplay mechanics, but maybe not for the right reasons...

The notion of more than 4 playable characters reminds of this news from September 2013: http://www.sonicstadium.org/2013/09/new-sonic-games-major-suprises-to-come-in-2014/

During the event, Global License produced a daily newspaper of sorts filled with news from each day, and on the second day, they had a very interesting segment on Sega and the Sonic license brand.

Fans will get a preview of the action with new videogames and merchandise slated to release at the end of this year. With more games and major surprises to follow in 2014.

Whats interesting is the use of language, notice how they say ‘video games’ as apposed to ‘a new videogame’ or ‘a new game.’ Could this be a hint that maybe Sonic will see a number of releases in 2014? As apposed to just Mario & Sochi,’ ‘The Third Game’ as fans have started to call the third nintendo exclusive might get a release in 2014? Maybe we’ll see another game with the blue one other than Sochi and the 3rd game.

Also, major suprises which are not game related? What could they be? Well… there was also advert for the Sonic brand included in the same publication.

sonic2014advert.png

Possible playable characters this year perhaps?
  • Thumbs Up 2

The notion of more than 4 playable characters reminds of this news from September 2013: http://www.sonicstadium.org/2013/09/new-sonic-games-major-suprises-to-come-in-2014/

Possible playable characters this year perhaps?

That's kinda interesting... Nice. Honestly I don't really mind if it doesn't turn out, but I'd love to see a few playable rival characters. It'd be cool if Shadow, Rouge, Silver, and Omega were available as rivals, though I won't hold out for it. It could be about OTHER games, too.

"Was supposed to be multi-platform" AWW. It's okay, at least I'll have like 5 or so months to get a WiiU...

Eh, I got a 2ds so I won't completely be missing out on things.

Eh, I got a 2ds so I won't completely be missing out on things.

The handheld versions always disappoint though.

@W-I-R

Just like Lost World, this game was being developed on a PC originally with no designated platform. Both titles ended up being developed for the Wii U though. With both games sharing the "the game is best for Nintendo audience" comments, it might have been exclusive the entire time.