Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

I highly doubt this game has something to do with the Zeti, since in the final battle they died...? Ehh, sorta.

Whatever. This game, in my opinon, doesn't seems to have the Zeti fit in it. However, I feel that big machine is going to have something to do with the world in which the game develops' past, or maybe another allie of Eggman that at the end gets out of control and betrays him.

So assuming that this "ancient land" could be an expy of the Lost Echidna Tribe or Lost Hex.....

Sonic Lost World, just last year.

...sarcasm.  The form of humor I was using is called sarcasm.

I highly doubt this game has something to do with the Zeti, since in the final battle they died...? Ehh, sorta.

Whatever. This game, in my opinon, doesn't seems to have the Zeti fit in it. However, I feel that big machine is going to have something to do with the world in which the game develops' past, or maybe another allie of Eggman that at the end gets out of control and betrays him.

and who is the one other group in the games who have vast robotic resources other than eggman or gun? that would be the battle bird armada, you never know just what they might pull in

The kind that's hard to detect on the internet

• Thumbs Up 6

The kind that's hard to detect on the internet

Are you being sarcastic?

lol

• Thumbs Up 4

Sorry, Forum posts aren't always the most coherent when it comes to certain tones.

• Thumbs Up 1

Right, when was the last time Eggman was the final boss in a Sonic game?

I think more than anything we just don't really have a good track record as far as ~bigger evil than eggman~ is concerned. Between SA1 and Unleashed one of the biggest Sonic tropes was to have Eggman go "haha big generic monster design will help me" "oh no boohoo generic monster design is too powerful I'm suddenly incompetent and your best friend and no one will question my hypocrisy and hole-filled writing".

(so basically I'm not a fan of the trope because they usually ruin Eggman to some extent as a result, which is part of why I love modern Eggman so much, his plan is always one-step beyond the rest of the game's plot and imo that's how it should be. I'll also admit that Unleashed handled Eggman better even if the monster itself was the most generic of the bunch.)

Though I guess since these guys are different writers it's not fair to judge them on mainseries stories. Maybe they can pull it off without having to sacrifice Eggman's writing. I hope.

So, who expects more of this game to show up in the next Nintendo direct? And expect it to be playable in E3.

Don't see why it wouldn't be playable at E3, personally.

I myself will have to wait until the Gamestop Expo 2014 and Sonic Boom 2014 to give it a go. Possibly PAX Prime if the stars align... Sonic Oregon/Washington could use the word of mouth on the ground.

Completely new universe that's separate from the games, dude. Doesn't matter if the Zeti died in Lost World, Lost World hasn't happened in Boom.

Granted, I doubt the Zeti will be in as well, but any of the stuff that happened in the original universe is completely null and void in the Boom universe for all we know.

• Thumbs Up 2

and who is the one other group in the games who have vast robotic resources other than eggman or gun? that would be the battle bird armada, you never know just what they might pull in

Yeah, but again, the Zeti do not fit very well on this game's style in my opinion.

I think more than anything we just don't really have a good track record as far as ~bigger evil than eggman~ is concerned. Between SA1 and Unleashed one of the biggest Sonic tropes was to have Eggman go "haha big generic monster design will help me" "oh no boohoo generic monster design is too powerful I'm suddenly incompetent and your best friend and no one will question my hypocrisy and hole-filled writing".

(so basically I'm not a fan of the trope because they usually ruin Eggman to some extent as a result, which is part of why I love modern Eggman so much, his plan is always one-step beyond the rest of the game's plot and imo that's how it should be. I'll also admit that Unleashed handled Eggman better even if the monster itself was the most generic of the bunch.)

Though I guess since these guys are different writers it's not fair to judge them on mainseries stories. Maybe they can pull it off without having to sacrifice Eggman's writing. I hope.

We could have a case of a rival group who starts out with an uneasy truce, but really wants to destroy everything, that would change things up, (now wheter they create this rival from scratch or revive an old group of which there is one, Battle Bird Armada, remains to be seen

I wonder the enemy could be a race of evil echidnas who actually survived whatever supposedly made Knuckles the last of his kind.

Wait...I feel like I've played this before; something about a god-awful Big Arm remix and terrible music all around. Something I tried deleting from my memory but just won't go away. What was that again?

I understand that pessimism is the usual drink over at the Sonic Fan Cafe, but even if they did reuse the echidnas concept I... honestly think this game would be a million times better than anything Sonic Team would have on the subject. I am just that cynical about Sonic Team and that optimistic about people who have worked on Sony hits.

I just wish SEGA could give Penders some sort of gag order because we all know he's going to be obnoxiously loud the longer Boom runs, especially if echidnas enter the scene.

"That was MY idea! SUE SUE SUE!"

• Thumbs Up 4

Good point Ogilvie, although I am a bit concerned about the music department for the Sonic Boom games.

Yeah, but again, the Zeti do not fit very well on this game's style in my opinion.

Then redesign them like they did Sonic, Tails, Amy, and Knuckles?

On the off chance they actually make it in somehow? The old character designs don't fit in this game's style either, dude.

My biggest worry is music also, I mean that's the one SEGA/Sonic Team games excel in, the music department. I think this might one of Booms! Weakest areas when drawing comparisons between the 2 verses.

• Thumbs Up 4

Hmm, maybe Sonic Team might be willing to share their music department with BRB and Sanzuru, all for the better.

My biggest worry is music also, I mean that's the one SEGA/Sonic Team games excel in, the music department. I think this might one of Booms! Weakest areas when drawing comparisons between the 2 verses.

As am I. I'm a bit worried they're going to go for a generic action soundtrack rather than put a lot of effort into it. Come on, this is Sonic the Hedgehog! One of his biggest strengths is in the music department! You don't have to bring in any series mainstays, as this is a new universe, but don't forget this is Sonic. Don't be afraid to tap into and channel other Sonic soundtracks, it's one of the aspects that would make me feel like I'm still playing a Sonic game.

• Thumbs Up 1

I understand that pessimism is the usual drink over at the Sonic Fan Cafe, but even if they did reuse the echidnas concept I... honestly think this game would be a million times better than anything Sonic Team would have on the subject.

To be fair, Chronicles was actually Bioware's screw-up. Not Sonic Team's.

I mean Jak's music was good for the game, but it wasn't particularly memorable, I just hope BRB find some common ground for the Games OST.

Music is a fair point. Sonic games may take us for a ride on what to expect in terms of gameplay but we can generally expect the soundtrack to be good if nothing else; heck, buying just the OST instead of the game isn't half bad as an idea, regardless of whether you want Jun's guitars or Ohtani's beautiful melodies.

Just to head this off before anyone says it but - I realise I made a booboo by saying "Sonic Team" gives us low expectations despite bad games being made by Bioware and Dimps as well. Sonic Team (generally) makes the big console titles though, and that's more what I'm getting at, though SEGA stepping outside their usual network of contact and hiring ex-Sony people to work on a game is where my optimism REALLY lies. Dimps is Dimps, and Bioware is Electronic Arts so that's all that needs to be said about those two.

Sonic Team can make good games but that's about as useful as saying you can win the lottery. Games developed by Sony's key studios tend to always be top notch in terms of quality, only usually dropping when you re-assign them to another team. So I'm hoping that if this game does well, Red Button gets to work on any sequels ad infinitum; we're all gamers here and know what tends to happen when a Sony game (let's be honest this is Sony in spirit if not law) shifts developers.

Don't you mean Julie SUE? tongue.png

Well played, sir, well played.

• Thumbs Up 3

I was watching the trailer  for the tenth time this week and something that could be a possible level gimmick caught my eye...

OxiEmVW.png

hbeIxvO.png
  • Thumbs Up 1

If there's going to be a new enemy, let it be a real enemy—not just some demon God that's out to destroy everything because of reasons. I guess the Zeti were the closest thing we've actually gotten to that in the series history, but it cards since they were so poorly written and their intentions were just as random and vague.

I would love to see a real villain who is more than a mere external threat. Something closer to Shadow in SA2 but perhaps without the redemptive ending.

• Thumbs Up 6

I'd also like angles besides "world domination" and "destroy the world" to be explored.

Where's the greedy corporation? The villain who has a personal vendetta and little else? The racist who bears a grudge against a particular species or collective of them? There's so many other motives behind being evil it's sad SEGA only sticks with two, even if Eggman sometimes incorporates elements of others.

Also. Not sure if I mentioned this before but:

This is a SEGA game. Being made for a Nintendo console. By Sony developers. Welcome to the mindfuck, I'm sure your inner 90s kid will have fun with this one. (Microsoft, meanwhile, is presumably "forever alooooone.")

• Thumbs Up 7