Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

2 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Well judging by the reaction in general to this, that didn’t work out well I’m guessing 

Sonic’s already a tough sell to most outside the fanbase, so this likely only is further distancing people vs pulling them in 

TMNT would have been an assured bomb if we followed this logic because the reaction to the first look of the redesigns on that film was wayyyyyyyyyyy worse than this one. And that movie still made a crap ton of  Blockbuster bucks at the box-office. The reality is: the people crapping on the design are still gonna see the movie and thats all the studio cares about at the end of the day. 

I don't think fans or the "general public" want a big-screen Sonic movie... This fan-base can't even enjoy Sonic games hardly, anymore. A live-action movie? That's gonna be torn to shreds by fans in a heart-beat; if a good majority even bother to see it. And quite frankly apart from the occasional little kid who forces his/her mom to take them to see The Sonic Movie, I can't imagine this is going to have much of a wide-spread appeal. This movie is the epitome of dead-on-arrival in my opinion

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Unidus said:

I don't think fans or the "general public" want a big-screen Sonic movie... This fan-base can't even enjoy Sonic games hardly, anymore. A live-action movie? That's gonna be torn to shreds by fans in a heart-beat; if a good majority even bother to see it. And quite frankly apart from the occasional little kid who forces his/her mom to take them to see The Sonic Movie, I can't imagine this is going to have much of a wide-spread appeal. This movie is the epitome of dead-on-arrival in my opinion

You underestimate the power of nostalgia. That's what pushed TMNT as far as it did.

3 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Making money is the goal for damn near every product that's on the market.

Yeah let’s not change your general point that to be successful and good means it must make lots of money, and that means trend chasing if you need to.

4 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Now we have seen nothing from this movie to indicate it's being lazily slapped together. Just from the way Tim Miller and Jeff Fowler talk about the new design and all of the creative/grounded thought process that went into designing Sonic shows they CARE.

Nothing implies it’s gonna be good either, this again, has only reinforced people’s concerns. And it being a video game film a genre already plagued with cynical cashgrabs isn’t helping.

And well no shit, they’re making the designs of course they’re gonna promote positively these designs. 

7 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

I'm tired of hearing this mentality from the fanbase that because they don't like the creative liberties they're taking with the franchise means they are making a cash grab. Making a cash grab and changing elements of the franchise to suit the story you're telling are two COMPLETELY different things.

Trend chasing and making something that didn’t need to be live action, live action, and overhauling a characters design, for the sake of it, certainly makes people feel it’s not out of genuine understanding of the franchise they’re doing these directions 

• Thumbs Up 4

What I'm REALLY curious about now is that teaser trailer from Brazil, where people said that Sonic looked fine and like the Sonic that everyone knows, only more 'realistic' but still cute and stuff... I really wonder how that's gonna fit in with what we've seen with this poster. That's also keeping me from worrying too much about his eyes being little beady black balls or something - I don't think the people who saw that trailer would've reacted so positively to it if his eyes had been changed THAT drastically.

• Thumbs Up 4

12 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

TMNT would have been an assured bomb if we followed this logic because the reaction to the first look of the redesigns on that film was wayyyyyyyyyyy worse than this one. And that movie still made a crap ton of  Blockbuster bucks at the box-office. The reality is: the people crapping on the design are still gonna see the movie and thats all the studio cares about at the end of the day. 

The problem is, you can never be 100% sure. A few years ago a Star Wars movie, made and marketed by the studio behemoth Disney losing money in the theatrical run would have been a crazy, unimaginable thing to say. Yet, it happened with Solo. It happened with a cult classic franchise that made big buck after big buck upon every single release.

So don't tell me that Sonic, an at this point almost washed up video gaming icon with it's first theatrical release this millennium is a sure seller when it doesn't even have the backing of its own fanbase.

26 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

The Transformers fanbase hates the Bayformers movies yet they still make billions.

Correction: Made billions. Past tense.

And that was only the case with two of those five films, with the latest one barely making over half a billion. Probably because the general audience started to realise that those films weren't good.

6 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Tmnt has had constant mainstream attention with multiple shows and movies, comics, guest appearances, etc within its lifespan. It never was not appealing to large markets, and so a movie was going to make money regardless whether people enjoyed the designs, direction, or not.

Sonic has had mediocre games, and shows, with boom being probably the best show to date and that’s already meh. His reputation is a joke, and not a ton outside children take him serious or put him on a high pedestal like someone like Mario.

The two aren’t comparable 

37 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Because most people don't care. Nobody at that panel was screaming in hyperbolic anger that "IT LOOKS NOTHING LIKE SONIC!!!" Because it's recognizable as Sonic. It has 6 quills, red shoes, and the exact same silhouette as the games. If you showed a random person a picture, they would clearly see Sonic the Hedgehog. And the human complaints are completely overblown, nothing about it looks like a guy in a costume. I don't see abs/a six pack and ripped thighs. His thighs are more developed than the games because he's a RUNNER. It makes perfect sense. The alternative was noodle limbs and that would have looked terrible on the big screen. The only thing that gives me pause on this design are the arms. I wish they were flesh colored but it's something I can live without. 

There is a huge difference between the games now and the way they were in the early 2000s. Yes, they were aimed at kids but the stories themselves were mature and layered. The characters themselves had development and actual arcs, there were REAL stakes and Eggman was not an idiot. The early 2000s era of Sonic did take itself much more seriously and the movie is pulling from that and adapting it for a wider audience. Why are so many acting so suprised that the movie wants to take a more Sci-Fi approach when Sonic WAS Sci-Fi for a good 9 years? Sonic Adventure lends itself to a blockbuster action film. People keep saying "Who is the target audience for this movie??!?" The target is everyone. But they want to send a message this this Is not a Disney movie aimed at 6 year olds, they want to go deeper than that and strive for something greater. Paramount wants out of Sonic what they got out of Transformers and Sega wants out of Sonic what Hasbro got out of Bayformers success: Brand awareness. 

So no, An animated kids Pixar movie is not what either Party wants.

As for him being an alien. What is wrong with that? He was an alien in Sonic X and in the Archie comics, he's basically like an alien in a way since he's not natural. None of the Mobians are. What is the alternative? He's from another planet because it makes sense. 

Have you considered that these franchises that they want to emulate have been suffering from diminishing returns so drastic that one died and the other is undergoing a course correction so drastic that it's changed completely, tonally and aesthetically? Has that not clued you in that maybe this approach is a little bit dated? 

That's putting aside that you're talking like a studio executive that's interested in exploiting a popular franchise by strapping as many tropes and trends as you can think of to make money. There's nothing particularly wrong with that, but don't be surprised when someone doesn't want to see something dear to them represented en masse as flavorless schlock at best. 

• Thumbs Up 5

5 minutes ago, Bucket said:

What I'm REALLY curious about now is that teaser trailer from Brazil, where people said that Sonic looked fine and like the Sonic that everyone knows, only more 'realistic' but still cute and stuff... I really wonder how that's gonna fit in with what we've seen with this poster. That's also keeping me from worrying too much about his eyes being little beady black balls or something - I don't think the people who saw that trailer would've reacted so positively to it if his eyes had been changed THAT drastically.

To be honest, I don't think he looks any worse than the "real-life adaptations" of Pokemon in the new Detective Pikachu trailer. That being said, I do not care much for the designs of the Pokemon in the Detective Pikachu trailer. Smooth anime/cartoon fur translated to furry grizzly real life fur I think is actually what gives me the uncanny valley vibes the hardest.

th.jpg

Well....uh

I can't say I'm surprised with how weird this looks, I predicted this years ago. Judging by the sillhouete alone,  I think Detective Pikachu designs look far more appealing than this. 

Considering how much Sega isn't very fond of his eyes. I'm terrified of what the full image will look like. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, Unidus said:

To be honest, I don't think he looks any worse than the "real-life: adaptations of Pokemon in the new Detective Pikachu trailer. That being said, I do not care much for the designs of the Pokemon in the Detective Pikachu trailer. Smooth anime/cartoon fur I think is actually what gives me the uncanny valley vibes the hardest.

th.jpg

Really? That looks like Pikachu with fur and more realistic eyes. A great adaption. To be honest, I prefer it to game/anime Pikachu.

• Thumbs Up 4

11 minutes ago, Bucket said:

Yeah,  this does come to mind.  Wonder where that is.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, gato said:

Ahh yes, this will replace that Illbleed boss in my nightmares.

pic for reference.

Reveal hidden contents

HZVQfKM.jpg

At least that was more of a intentional parody of Sonic and it still had most of the recognizable cartoony elements of Sonic as opposed to the live action mutant That we’re apparently supposed to see as the official face for Sonic’s major debut in film.

Plus tbh, every other monster in Illbleed is much more creepy than Zodic.

I'm still one of the more optimistic fans regarding the movie & still look forward to it.

5 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Also can we stop with this mentality that “cartoon” = “for kids”? Like seriously, most Disney cartoons are pretty relatable for even adults and can contain some very real grounded stories. Being a cartoon shouldn’t diminish your chances at being taken seriously.

Yeah, It bothers me too if people treat animated movies like trash.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, JokerJovahexeonJoranvexeon said:

Yeah,  this does come to mind.  Wonder where that is.

I wonder, too. I'm hoping this means that we're gonna be getting an actual trailer, even a teaser trailer, really soon.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

What if Sonic shaves his arms later on to get the classic look 

That would be way too fun for a general audience. People could get confused. That'd be dangerous. Not good for marketing.