Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

8 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

Holding out hope that the design will somehow be more cartoony is basically just this movie's version of "Team Sonic Racing might have cars AND on-foot, believe me". It's pushing the goalposts back from getting what's actually wanted as a sort of compromising fantasy built on blind hope that this thing won't be as terrible as it obviously will be, and was pretty much going to be ever since it was announced to be live-action. It's not going to look better, the movie was never going to be good, it's not going to be popular, liked, successful and I hope to god it won't get shitty sequels. It's the Sonic movie everyone knew a Sonic movie would eventually turn out as and as a result nobody seriously wanted. Nobody ever does this shit right, why the hell would Sonic be an exception when Sonic often fails to do itself right?

The one and only solace in this is that Sonic is nothing but one more victim in a pool full of better-liked victims and equally-hated films. There's nothing this movie ruins about the series that other movies didn't ruin in theirs.

However, the people who saw the teaser trailer in Brazil said that Sonic basically looked like the Sonic that everyone knows and loves, just more realistic. That, to me, seems like reason enough to think that his actual appearance, and not just a silhouette, might look more appropriate and cartoony than this poster leads people to believe.

If the reaction to the teaser trailer was that he looked horrible and like a REAL hedgehog and nothing like the Sonic that everyone knows... then yeah. But that's not the case here.

• Fist Bump 2

1 minute ago, Bucket said:

However, the people who saw the teaser trailer in Brazil said that Sonic basically looked like the Sonic that everyone knows and loves, just more realistic. That, to me, seems like reason enough to think that his actual appearance, and not just a silhouette, might look more appropriate and cartoony than this poster leads people to believe.

If the reaction to the teaser trailer was that he looked horrible and like a REAL hedgehog and nothing like the Sonic that everyone knows... then yeah. But that's not the case here.

Maybe they just showed us a rejected model as a joke, and soon we'll see the real Sonic..?

What in the name of fuck are Tails and Knuckles going to look like if they get in?

This is one of the few times I want a Sonic product not to have Sonic's friends, please spare them from this disaster!

Just now, Plasme said:

What in the name of fuck are Tails and Knuckles going to look like if they get in?

This is one of the few times I want a Sonic product not to have Sonic's friends, please spare them from this disaster!

Maybe we'll see them in Sonic's World and they'll have their SEGA design, while Sonic will be transformed when he lands on Earth.

• Thumbs Up 1

Also, remember that Blur Studios is masterful with film level CG animation. You've yet to see Sonic in motion. They did work for the Batman Arkham games and Doom and Thor: the Dark World. It's going to look great

It can always look a lot better than you're imagining. Also, Razule may have a point considering that Marza is also working on CG for the movie too. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Because I don't wanna type a long ass essay...

...Here's a video with my thoughts on the Sonic poster!

• Thumbs Up 2

image.png.9768a7ee00ba48750d3f35f31a1d5670.png

This is a hi-res poster, put contrast up to see more...

I think most people were right, his muzzle is more like a real hedgehog his eye may similar to the game counterpart but with his pupils pop up like that.

damn!

• Thumbs Up 1

1b9.jpg

Gee, what a completely unprecedented turn of events. Something that Sonic produces is atrocious and the source of mockery and scorn. Truly these are the dark times for our anthropomorphic marsupial. Oh woe is us. 

7 minutes ago, do a barrel roll said:

That's the thing though. We don't want Sonic to produce bad content anymore.

After Mania I honestly thought that SEGA was getting back on track and I would like to believe that Forces was just a road bump but didn't completely ruin Sonic's reputation at all, but of course we get this movie that's most likely going to be even worse than Sonic 06.

To be fair though, there's reason to believe that SEGA aren't behind this. From the sources, we know that SEGA aren't even happy with the design of the eyes and for all we know, that could extend even further towards the rest of the design as well, and simply wasn't commented on.

Regardless of such, that seems to indicate that somewhere along the lines, SEGA gave up their creative control over the project and the director, the crew, or someone along the way has more control than what SEGA can do. 

If anything, it sounds to me that Paramount has control, not SEGA.

• Thumbs Up 5

Spider Man fans get Into the Spider-verse.

Pokemon fans get Detective Pikachu.

Even the dang Smurfs got it right eventually.

Yet we Sonic fans get...THIS thing.

I'm probably one of the easiest-to-please Sonic fans in the entire fandom, and even I can't defend how ANYTHING in this movie looks or sounds. They couldn't get the ring sound right in the trailer. Even the worst Sonic games have gotten the ring sound right. And using TED as inspiration?

We've survived 06 and Boom. Can we survive this?

1 hour ago, CaptainRobo said:

Would prefer if this was the poster. It would been more badass.:

F00C972B-76A1-4F76-B974-214609162C8F.thumb.jpeg.717efc5b8beb651d8245520db14726b3.jpeg

Seriously, really hope he actually looked like this. Because at this point, things are not looking good for the movie.:

Dude, I would have soiled myself with excitement if that was the poster.

• Thumbs Up 8

Here is the Japanese reaction to the poster.:

I want to stay positive on the film, but I can’t seem to get used to the design. It looked awkward and weird. It looked like the Detective Pikachu might been actually better than this. At least they keep and respect the designs of the Pokémon.

• Thumbs Up 1

One thing that I'd like clarification on. I've seen some people say that the people working on the movie have never played a Sonic game, or have no knowledge of the franchise, and thus the movie is being made without any 'passion' or 'love' for the character or the fans.

Has this been confirmed anywhere  or said directly by anyone involved with the movie?

5 minutes ago, Razule said:

This would've been pretty cool too

A Pixar cartoon in live action interacting with real humans?

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Bucket said:

One thing that I'd like clarification on. I've seen some people say that the people working on the movie have never played a Sonic game, or have no knowledge of the franchise, and thus the movie is being made without any 'passion' or 'love' for the character or the fans.

Has this been confirmed anywhere  or said directly by anyone involved with the movie?

No. It is a lie. Jeff Fowler literally worked on the CG cutscenes for Sonic 06 and Shadow the Hedgehog. Patrick Casey grew up playing the Genesis games.

• Thumbs Up 4

4 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

A Pixar cartoon in live action interacting with real humans?

I mean.. yeah, he'd stick out but at the end of the day, I'd still choose the standard design over this thing.

• Thumbs Up 2

And Bluecore worked on Shadow the Hedgehog. Not to mention Marza is still involved with the movie. So you can miss me with the "They dont CARE ABOUT THE FRANCHIS!!!11"

3 minutes ago, Razule said:

I mean.. yeah, he'd stick out but at the end of the day, I'd still choose the standard design over this thing.

If they wanted to make a Roger Rabbit-esque movie, I'd agree with you. But that design would not work in a grounded blockbuster live action. 

• Thumbs Up 3

26 minutes ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Spider Man fans get Into the Spider-verse.

Pokemon fans get Detective Pikachu.

Even the dang Smurfs got it right eventually.

Yet we Sonic fans get...THIS thing.

I'm probably one of the easiest-to-please Sonic fans in the entire fandom, and even I can't defend how ANYTHING in this movie looks or sounds. They couldn't get the ring sound right in the trailer. Even the worst Sonic games have gotten the ring sound right. And using TED as inspiration?

We've survived 06 and Boom. Can we survive this?

Dude, I would have soiled myself with excitement if that was the poster.

Not that there was much to get right to begin with for the Smurfs. Garfield and Yogi Bear weren’t so lucky in the slightest, though. 

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:

For the reactions of how bad this design looks, all this proves to me is what I've believed for months -  it's the thing that people have been saying for months on end, that this shouldn't have been a live-action movie to begin with. From the very beginning, there was a clear precedence against these movies either video game adaptions, or live action adaptions in general that there isn't faith placed in these franchises. Producers and studios want to bank on a big name mascot due to their large fanbase having a pre-established market behind them, but then they don't understand why people likes it to begin with. They begin changing details here, there and everywhere to pander to focus groups, and what they believe is the "general audience" without realising why a character has appeal to begin with.

Furthermore, animation isn't just some niche thing that only kids go to watch, plenty of adults, especially in this day and age that grew up with certain characters, shows, and whatever else see animation as a legitimate art-form and will go watch them. Animation is perfect for Sonic because it allows the benefits of his world, his universe, and his designs to pop and be as absolutely expressive as possible.

Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse is being hailed as the best Spider-Man movie to date and that's an animated film that's at a simple PG rating and both fans of Spidey and kids can get into it, because not only does the animation allow the original style of the comics to absolutely pop and breath new life into the series, but it also doesn't stray away from his downright ridiculous comics can be. We have fucking Spider-Ham in the movie. The movie with Spider-Ham and an anime girl with a giant mecha robot spider is being praised as the best version of this iconic character yet. Why? Because not only is it incredibly well-done, not only does it have faith in all of the aspects that made Spider-Man so iconic - both silly and serious, but it does something downright unique and creative. 

Everything about Into the Spider-Verse is so unlike anything we've seen before in terms of Spider-Man. We've got proper representation of characters we've never seen before in film, like Kingpin. We've got concepts that weren't even attempted before due to worries it'd be confusing to general audiences, like the age-old comic concept of an entire multiverse filled with different and completely insane versions of different characters. The Ultimate universe for the longest time was a niche thing that had only gotten Ultimate Spider-Man's game tie-in at best, now here it is with a film featuring it and a ton more, and it's getting loved by fans and what seems to be general audiences. These concepts that film companies thought people wouldn't like is now being hailed as the best thing to come out of the series in years. 

The idea that a Sonic film couldn't have worked in animation is downright ridiculous to me, and there has been so many more films before this that should've made that fact undeniably clear by now. This isn't a movie based around Sonic, his world, and his universe, it's a separate movie altogether that's trying to change Sonic and force him to fit into it's world, and that is absolutely awful to me, because if your best idea for making a movie based on the character is draining him of what made him iconic, distinct, and fun to begin with, then it's certainly not a movie based on that character to me. There was so much potential in this movie to be something special, creative, and fun, something that had the charm of Mania, and instead we're stuck with what looks to be just another soulless cash-grab trying too hard to pander to what executives think the general audiences will like without even stopping to consider why the character in question was so beloved to begin with. 

At least the Mario movie might be good, at the very least they've seemed to understand that animation was the best idea to take the series. 

Nailed it

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

No. It is a lie. Jeff Fowler literally worked on the CG cutscenes for Sonic 06 and Shadow the Hedgehog. Patrick Casey grew up playing the Genesis games.

Ah. That's what I figured.

Well, I may as well add my two cents- I'm not feelin' this. Maybe it'll look better once we get the full reveal, but frankly I sincerely doubt it, and I maintain that making this a live action/CGI hybrid was a dreadful, dreadful decision. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Such a shame...The franchise was just restoring its name with titles like Mania, and then this happens. I actually thought it was a joke when I first saw it. Still thinking its an April Fools joke...

And I am not saying a movie would be bad. I just think the way Sonic looks...well...I won't go into details...just ugh...Yikes.

• Thumbs Up 2