Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

28 minutes ago, Bucket said:

What I'm REALLY curious about now is that teaser trailer from Brazil, where people said that Sonic looked fine and like the Sonic that everyone knows, only more 'realistic' but still cute and stuff... I really wonder how that's gonna fit in with what we've seen with this poster. That's also keeping me from worrying too much about his eyes being little beady black balls or something - I don't think the people who saw that trailer would've reacted so positively to it if his eyes had been changed THAT drastically.

The reaction to the teaser was the last spot of hope for Sonic's design. And then this thing came out. Hm. Like.. does it just look better in motion..?

I wonder if him eating chili dogs is gonna be a thing they considered a worthy and important element to keep.

Somebody has to ask the important questions.

3 minutes ago, Razule said:

The reaction to the teaser was the last spot of hope for Sonic's design. And then this thing came out. Hm. Like.. does it just look better in motion..?

I'm thinking it probably DOES look better in motion, OR his face really does look more cartoony and like the original designs and this poster just isn't doing a good job of showing that, since it's a silhouette and all.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

5 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

I wonder if him eating chili dogs is gonna be a thing they considered a worthy and important element to keep.

Somebody has to ask the important questions.

Chili dogs will definitely be in. It'll let them pretend they did a lot of research on Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Bucket said:

I'm thinking it probably DOES look better in motion, OR his face really does look more cartoony and like the original designs and this poster just isn't doing a good job of showing that, since it's a silhouette and all.

I agree it will probably look better in motion, but only because you won't be able to see his entire body due to his arms/legs being a blur.

His pupils are bulging out of his head! (Which is currently my only complaint about the design) Apparently Japanese fans are “full of sadness and anger” looking at this. The reaction to this image is a real delight, pals, really delightful. 

2 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

His pupils are bulging out of his head! (Which is currently my only complaint about the design) Apparently Japanese fans are “full of sadness and anger” looking at this. The reaction to this image is a real delight, pals, really delightful. 

It's all us lousy Westerners' faults

They should have went with... No movie at all, at this point, this looks like a cliché stereotyped movie and the realistic Sonic ends up being this monstrosity. Eh. While an animated movie, I think it wouldn't attract anybody but our small community of fans. It's not because I think cartoons are for kids only, but Sonic isn't a Disney property. At this point the movie will either be a flop and hurt Sonic as a name, or be somehow successful and turn the whole franchise into something it's not supposed to be, it hurts Sonic in any case. Eh.

If they really wanted, they could have made a TV special for that upcoming cartoon, to appeal to the niche fans.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

11 minutes ago, I Love Sticks said:

but Sonic isn't a Disney property.

Neither is Despicable Me, Hotel Transylvania, Madagascar, or the Lego movies among many others including the new " Into the Spider-Verse" movie that many are strongly looking forward to watching already. And when the new animated CGI cartoon Mario movie comes out we know everybody gonna watch it. The odds are good that a animated Sonic movie would had done perfectly fine, especially considering Sonic is still among the most well known iconic franchises.

• Thumbs Up 2

Y'know, after all the crap Sonic's been put through, it would've been nice to see a glimmer of good pop out that doesn't have Mania in its title.  Instead we're shovelled the usual godawful Hollywood reimagining so many brands have suffered over the years.  Why they didn't play it safe and just make a cartoon is just one of the many conundrums of life, I suppose.  Still, it's just not fair the hedgehog has to be put through internet slaughterhouse once again.

I could really use another Mania cartoon right about now...

• Thumbs Up 4

Why's he so small?

24 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

Weird how the Sonic twitter is silent

Dude, what do you expect? They're silent about stuff that's actually good about the franchise too, like the comics--both when Archie was still running, and even after an opportunity to fix that with IDW they only really posted about it when it was announced.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Fist Bump 2

2 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Neither is Despicable Me, Hotel Transylvania, Madagascar, or the Lego movies among many others including the new " Into the Spider-Verse" movie that many are strongly looking forward to watching already. And when the new animated CGI cartoon Mario movie comes out we know everybody gonna watch it. The odds are good that a animated Sonic movie would had done perfectly fine.

Ratchet & Clank I think had an animated movie and it flopped. So I don't know... Maybe movies aren't for Sonic.

I'm still happy that I have my  IDW comics, people may complain about those as well but I don't care.

The IDW comics are great. I'm honestly just really discouraged from the outrage over the design. It could have been much worse. I feel like people don't understand why a animated cartoon does not work in an action blockbuster. That's like trying to make Bugs Bunny badass and cool in a Transformers movie..

Hopefully the GA feels differently 

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, I Love Sticks said:

Ratchet & Clank I think had an animated movie and it flopped. So I don't know... Maybe movies aren't for Sonic.

I'm still happy that I have my  IDW comics, people may complain about those as well but I don't care.

One flopped movie really isn't a good example for anything. There is many reasons why a movie can flop... and being live action certainly doesn't save them from that fate either. I don't think we have seen enough game based CGI cartoon theater movies to judge much common results among them.

It didn't dawn on me until now, but I'm morbidly curious to think what the others are going to look like if Sonic looking is like THIS...

10 minutes ago, QuantumEdge said:

I could really use another Mania cartoon right about now...

Same here too.

• Nice Smile 1

35 minutes ago, Razule said:

Dang, man, what else is there to say? This isn't meme time, this is mourning time.

Well they love making fun of Sonic on that account, don't they? So what's the difference for them? XD
Oh man, after making fun of Mighty No. 9's pizza explosions, I hope they're ready to take some crap for this thing.

18 minutes ago, Celestia said:

Why's he so small?

He's always been around 3'3'

Without the disproportionately large head hands and shoes its just a but more apparent I guess.

7 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Without the disproportionately large head hands and shoes its just a but more apparent I guess.

Not to mention he looks smaller in the genesis/adventure games.

3 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

I was looking more at his legs tbh.'

28 minutes ago, I Love Sticks said:

Ratchet & Clank I think had an animated movie and it flopped.

Ratchet & Clank's film did, and that is why their holding off on Sly Cooper. Which is why the TV Show is happening 1st then the film.

Damn, I've been on and off with this franchise for the last 14 years, and even though it's had some rough patches I've never felt so empty about something this franchise has done. I didn't mind '06 because at least it had great music, I enjoyed X in a so bad it's good way, shrugged off Boom because the supplementary stuff like the TV series was nice to occasionally have as background noise (boom knuckles really did make me chuckle) and just ignored the Forces since it did try but was very misguided. After all, with games like Unleashed and Mania sprinkled in every now and then, it really wasn't that bad at all. 

So how did a single poster make me loose all hope 😧?  Unless they're planning to pull a Kojima and this is just a joke to fuel meme fire until they reveal the real thing (which as much as that sounds like wishful thinking, I'm holding out hope), I'm done man. This is melodramatic as hell and won't kill the series but seriously, how did they let this happen when SEGA have access to such great CGI. It's just 'one step forward, two steps back' with this franchise as the Shadow the Hedgehog intro so eloquently put it back in 2005. I hope this movie somehow ends up surprising us all so I can eat my stupid words 😄

• Thumbs Up 1