Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

I think what annoys me most about this is that we just had a Sonic Mania series of shorts which were perfect. An absolutely great foundation for a Sonic film for kids. If they had to do a film they could have gone in that direction, with proven talent who know what they are doing. Just expand that and it probably wouldn't be way out there budget wise compared to this film. 

Instead, we get this terrible type of Hollywood garbage. It's going to be straight into the trash in the same vein as films such as the new Woody Woodpecker.

What a fucking trainwreck. 

• Thumbs Up 2

All I have to say in regards to my comments on the reveal: Rarely does everyone in the fandom agree on something. This is one of those times.

• Thumbs Up 1

It says a lot that they couldn't get Sonic's design to look right in a realistic setting and SEGA themselves weren't too particular found of his design. Makes you wonder why they even bothered in the first place. Between this and the whole premise of the film I think it's safe to say that this is gonna be hilariously bad. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Rachet and Clanks movie only failed cause its a literal rush of a story. literally there was no backbone to the story. it was well animated and all that but again the story was just poor and felt odd timed so close to the game which was basicallly the movie

• Thumbs Up 3

7 minutes ago, Kevin said:

All I have to say in regards to my comments on the reveal: Rarely does everyone in the fandom agree on something. This is one of those times.

I... don't think everyone agrees this time. I've seen plenty of people either saying that they're gonna wait until they see a full trailer or a better/clearer image of him, or who actually like what they've seen.

This doesn't seem as unanimous as a Sonic 06 or Rise of Lyric situation.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Plasme said:

I think what annoys me most about this is that we just had a Sonic Mania series of shorts which were perfect. An absolutely great foundation for a Sonic film for kids. If they had to do a film they could have gone in that direction, with proven talent who know what they are doing. Just expand that and it probably wouldn't be way out there budget wise compared to this film. 

Instead, we get this terrible type of Hollywood garbage. It's going to be straight into the trash in the same vein as films such as the new Woody Woodpecker.

What a fucking trainwreck. 

Everything thing either has to be "3D" animation or a mix of 3D and Live-action these days. I miss the days of Disney blockbusters and Warner Bros. hand-drawn or at least 2D styled films. A movie in the style of Mania with a larger budget would be really cool.

Edit: Up in the air though whether or not it could be successful in this current climate.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Bucket said:

I... don't think everyone agrees this time. I've seen plenty of people either saying that they're gonna wait until they see a full trailer or a better/clearer image of him, or who actually like what they've seen.

This doesn't seem as unanimous as a Sonic 06 or Rise of Lyric situation.

Basically this. I don’t mind this redesign.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Kevin said:

This is like real life independence day for the sonic franchise. We may bicker over things like was SA2 ever good, or nostalgia pandering, but gosh darn it at least sonic looked like sonic in all of that (*cough were hog cough*)

Now all we need is a captivating, militaristic speech giver and a battalion ready to storm SEGA HQ.  We'll continue to not agree on anything, there will be bickeirng back and forth, tostitos will be there for product placement. It'll be great!

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Promotion 1

It is funny because this reminds me of how there was alot of wigging out over the Boom designs when they were silhouetted. Everyone memed about it and outraged and bullied eachother off the internet like always, but once things got revealed that slowly died down until Boom Knuckles eventually became a dead meme. Then it started to grow on ppl.

It'll happen again here ( to what extent, we'll just have to see. ), and if negative, it wont destroy or ruin the franchise forever. History shows that thats not the case and never will be until SEGA's dying breath. If positive, it'll garner its fans and be another offshoot of the franchise. Simple as that. We've been through this before.

On that note though, someone brightened up the poster art and it definitely seems as tho Sonic's face'll be more hedgehog-ish, with two beady lil' eyes with slightly green irises pokin' out and a mouth that opens up at the front. Here's my little take on it! It could be pretty friggin' cute after all! 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Chuckle 1
  • Fist Bump 1

23 minutes ago, Miitoons said:

It is funny because this reminds me of how there was alot of wigging out over the Boom designs when they were silhouetted. Everyone memed about it and outraged and bullied eachother off the internet like always, but once things got revealed that slowly died down until Boom Knuckles eventually became a dead meme. Then it started to grow on ppl.

It'll happen again here ( to what extent, we'll just have to see. ), and if negative, it wont destroy or ruin the franchise forever. History shows that thats not the case and never will be until SEGA's dying breath. If positive, it'll garner its fans and be another offshoot of the franchise. Simple as that. We've been through this before.

On that note though, someone brightened up the poster art and it definitely seems as tho Sonic's face'll be more hedgehog-ish, with two beady lil' eyes with slightly green irises pokin' out and a mouth that opens up at the front. Here's my little take on it! It could be pretty friggin' cute after all! 

I could live with this. 

10 minutes ago, Myst said:

Even Entertainment Tonight is talking about the backlash..

Well, the other guy is defending the design 

5 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

If the trailer presents itself in the same light as Fast and Furious/and/or Guardians then NOBODY is going to believe it's a kiddie movie for 7 year olds. This is why I did NOT want them tk go the Pixar route because the era of Sonic I grew up with in my early childhood was the self-serious era in the Adventure series and 06. I watched Sonic X, SATAM and read the Archie comics based on the modern era. I've alway preferred Sonic as more serious, story-driven games.

Okay, gonna stop you right there. I liked the pre Colors era, and at least was indifferent to the Shadow and 06 period. I like it when Sonic is able to have genuinely serious moments without undermining it with bad stand up comedy.

That said, even I think this looks really shoddy. It’s not an evolution or at least a variant of what we consider to be Sonic, but a badly done mutation. You don’t have to make things look uglier or more realistic to make the scenario more serious, and Sonic doesn’t need to be a live action mutant in order to have a strong involving story or become a smash hit in his own right. If me and the other people who have responded to you in previous posts think this looks poor, even though in many cases we’re usually on opposite sides regarding topics like story and aesthetics, then maaaaybe it should be an indicator that something is really wrong.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yes! He's going to look somewhat like a hedgehog!!

I actually think it looks pretty neat! I mean, people are gonna trip, but I don't see why. It's a live action movie. They can't just use the models from the games in a live action movie. This isn't Roger Rabbit.

• Absolutely 1

58 minutes ago, Miitoons said:

Maybe with his beady eyes being fully green, it could be better. Or Stitch-like green pupils. 

53 minutes ago, Myst said:

Even Entertainment Tonight is talking about the backlash..

Look mum, I’m on TV!

And I stand by what I said in that tweet, so to echo what most others have already said in this thread - Christ this looks dire.

Holding out hope that the design will somehow be more cartoony is basically just this movie's version of "Team Sonic Racing might have cars AND on-foot, believe me". It's pushing the goalposts back from getting what's actually wanted as a sort of compromising fantasy built on blind hope that this thing won't be as terrible as it obviously will be, and was pretty much going to be ever since it was announced to be live-action. It's not going to look better, the movie was never going to be good, it's not going to be popular, liked, successful and I hope to god it won't get shitty sequels. It's the Sonic movie everyone knew a Sonic movie would eventually turn out as and as a result nobody seriously wanted. Nobody ever does this shit right, why the hell would Sonic be an exception when Sonic often fails to do itself right?

The one and only solace in this is that Sonic is nothing but one more victim in a pool full of better-liked victims and equally-hated films. There's nothing this movie ruins about the series that other movies didn't ruin in theirs.

• Thumbs Up 5

2 hours ago, Mania Pipe said:

It didn't dawn on me until now, but I'm morbidly curious to think what the others are going to look like if Sonic looking is like THIS...

Same here too.

You ever look at Furry Art that makes Sonic more realistic? Use that as your baseline. 

This isn't a diss as someone in the Fandom. It's actually a compliment if I'm being real here.