Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

2 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

His eyes are not beads. He's wearing headgear, guys. He has the classic eyes but split in two like a real animal. Tim wanted to make him look like a real creature 

And you know this for a fact because...? Also, if it's split in two, it's not his "classic" eyes so at least try not contradicting yourself.

• Thumbs Up 1

@PeterPancake dude stop trying to protect the movie and the design of Sonic, it is going to be a flop anyways and don't just be mad that the movie failed because of Sonic fans.
It failed because it wasn't what the fans wanted anyways.

Now then, let us end this argument in peace ok?

That seems a bit bad (not that a catastrophe though) for the moment, but I'm not surprised. Maybe that the fully reveal design will look better, but I'm not holding my hopes. The problem with this design (that they change too much the design philosophy and in a clunky way), is that it's adding up to a pile of "is this really a Sonic movie", like the buddy cop idea, the lack of other characters than Sonic & Eggman, etc. For the moment it seems to be a movie that haven't been really made with its base franchise in mind like are the MCU movies… and I'm hope it's not worse : a movie that doesn't really trust the universe/IP it adapt (like are some movies like DB Evolution).

That's why I'm mostly not really impatient of this movie : it doesn't look for the moment really Sonic adapted to Blockbuster standard, but a random movie that add some elements of the saga. And I'm a bit tired that many franchise get a movie these days that seems to believe at least in their original universe, but not Sonic. I've seen nothing for the moment that is really at least a bit of the MCU or Detective Pikachu standard in that respect for me. I'm hoping that it'll get later with trailers and stuff, though.

Maybe the trailer will dismiss these fear, but for the moment, I don't feel that it seems good. Well, wait and see.

TBH, as at worst it'll be just yet another one bad videogame movies, so I'm not really that afraid, though.

• Thumbs Up 2

Does anyone know if it’s absolutely comfirmed that Marza is still working on the CG with this realistic model, or did it change to another studio at some point and I missed/forgot about it?

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Tarnish said:

And you know this for a fact because...?

There's no way they'd make him have beady Hedgehog eyes. There's no way Lizuka would sign off on something THAT radical. As it stands, his design is still very recognizable and that's the most important thing. Miller said that the eyes were a very delicate design decision that had input from Sega. He implied that what they did was split them in two and that's it. It more than likely looks like this

4n3tuqkdi1511.thumb.jpg.d2934e5183370f679305f6639d937f8c.jpg

The design overall looks very close to this in silhouette. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, caitash said:

Does anyone know if it’s absolutely comfirmed that Marza is still working on the CG with this realistic model, or did it change to another studio at some point and I missed/forgot about it?

both Marza and Blur are working on this

5 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

There's no way they'd make him have beady Hedgehog eyes. There's no way Lizuka would sign off on something THAT radical. As it stands, his design is still very recognizable and that's the most important thing. Miller said that the eyes were a very delicate design decision that had input from Sega. He implied that what they did was split them in two and that's it. It more than likely looks like this

4n3tuqkdi1511.thumb.jpg.d2934e5183370f679305f6639d937f8c.jpg

The design overall looks very close to this in silhouette. 

But then what's with the way it sticks out like that..

• Thumbs Up 1

If this movie does flop I really hope SEGA or anyone else doesnt get the idea to blame sonic fans. Because they should have known from the start that this would not work. 

It is amazing the difference in which Nintendo handles its brands vs SEGA. Nintendo acts in a way that shows that they think about the long term consequences of their decisions and it is abundantly clear. They are more conservative but they care about their characters and protect them and their reputation. Thus, they maintain high quality and consistent popularity over time.

SEGA will try anything in the moment with sonic as long as  it makes them a quick profit, and does not ever seem to think about the long term consequences. 

A few smart people (who have been long gone from the company) made sonic what it was but SEGA today does not deserve their mascot. They dont create this but they are fully responsible for allowing this to happen. It's their most important IP and should always be handled with care.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Razule said:

But then what's with the way it sticks out like that..

He's probably wearing something over his eyes. Like a visor or something to protect his eyes from dust and debris when he's running. Miller said they approached Sonic's design in a grounded, realistic  way so they put a lot of thought into his design. Everything on him is suppose to make sense. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Gabz Girl said:

Detective Pikachu’s “realistic” designs work because they still keep some of the basic shapes and colours of the original Pokémon from the games, making them almost instantly recognisable. I know not everyone is a fan of them (personally I’m 50-50), but you can’t deny that they still look pretty much the same despite all the fur and scales. 

This realistic design for Sonic on the other hand is most certainly NOT in proportion to Sonic’s original game design and we can already tell that his shoes, gloves and even his eyes are going to be completely different and not in a good way either. I’m certainly not convinced! This lanky, weird looking hedgehog monster really does look like something out of a horror movie! 

Not to mention that human characters are as much a part of the world of Pokémon as the creatures themselves. It's much more logical for that franchise to go with live action than it is for Sonic.

A CGI film was always the better option. The designs were already there and the world could be whatever the writers needed it to be. Instead, the artists were given the impossible task of injecting realistic anatomy into a rubber hose 'toon without transforming it into a monstrosity.

Imagine this being done to Mickey Mouse.

• Thumbs Up 9

Someone brightened the image a bit. (The green eye on his actual face was added by the user as a prediction)

Looks like they want to make him look like an actual hedgehog...

16DB4378-427D-4CC8-BF66-F85C1D471975.jpeg

5 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

He's probably wearing something over his eyes. Like a visor or something to protect his eyes from dust and debris when he's running. Miller said they approached Sonic's design in a grounded, realistic  way so they put a lot of thought into his design. Everything on him is suppose to make sense. 

If you're right about him wearing goggles, then the lenses are probably replacing his sclera and magnifying the beady eyes underneath.

3 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

It's eyewear. You can see the glistening shine of plastic and it's curved around his head 

20181210_114747.jpg.950876b463fc4173a47634a09e1f9f04.jpg

Why would they do that? It’s his eyeball and it’s wrong.

1 minute ago, PeterPancake said:

It's eyewear. You can see the glistening shine of plastic and it's curved around his head 

20181210_114747.jpg.950876b463fc4173a47634a09e1f9f04.jpg

If that is part of his eyewear his actual eyes would have to be even smaller than that for it to make any "sense".

If it was bigger I might buy that he's wearing a visor but right now I'm not convinced.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, Pawn said:

Not to mention that human characters are as much a part of the world of Pokémon as the creatures themselves. It's much more logical for that franchise to go with live action than it is for Sonic.

A CGI film was always the better option. The designs were already there and the world could be whatever the writers needed it to be. Instead, the artists were given the impossible task of injecting realistic anatomy into a rubber hose 'toon without transforming it into a monstrosity.

Imagine this being done to Mickey Mouse.

To be a fair to this film sega has even from sonic 1 , tried to make humans in sonic land a thing.

Its just that outside of like Eggman, people thinking topaz from sonic x was okay , maria kinda and Prof pickles, its never worked and always has been weird despite them continuing to push it. And in many ways has contributing some of the most embarrassing and confusing elements of the franchise. So it baffles me, wait no it doesn't because movie studio's are dumb, so its disappointing to me that they chose to not only focus on sonic in humanland for the first sonic film , but to try and adapt his design to that world instead of at leastthe reverse

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Pawn said:

If you're right about him wearing goggles, then the lenses are probably replacing his sclera and magnifying the beady eyes underneath.

I.. Don't think he has any type bugged out eyes. The storyboard design from a few months ago is similar to this (blue arms and all) and he had the classic Sonic eyes just separated into two Individual eyeballs. The people who saw the footage at Brazil said his face is very close to the classic Sonic face. He won't have beady eyes, dude. He's wearing green lenses