Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Sonic's hands and feet look tiny, and that's extremely disturbing to me. At least Detective Pika didn't wildly change proportions.

15 minutes ago, Scar said:

At which point, I'm sitting here wondering why SEGA ever allowed this type of arrangement. And I'm wondering how anyone involved in the production of this movie thought this monstrosity of a character design was a good idea. Or why having Sonic in a live-action production was a good idea in the first place.

This should have been an animation from the start.

Live action adaptations of animations are super popular right now. That's the only reason I can come up with. It's sounded like a recipe for disaster since day one. I wonder if SEGA desperately sought out someone to make the film, or if they got a pitch handed over the rights for a quick buck.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, LongcrierCat said:

I don't know about you all, but it looks about right for a realistic Sonic to me. If you didn't want a realistic Sonic, well... I'm sorry. But this may not be for you then. 

Oh, I know this isn't for me. That doesn't mean I cannot criticise the design, or the decision to even have a live action Sonic movie.

19 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

I always see you pick on Sonic fans about not liking the same art style as you. And If you truly believe fans opinions don't matter... then why are you EVEN ON A SONIC FAN FORUM?

How about this... just face facts we don't agree with you on this and that maybe there is a chance you are wrong about what actually appeals to most people, accept this is just what appeals to you and that you ARE in the minority here. And before you bother disagreeing with me and say this garbage actually does appeal a ton to casuals....show us real proof or don't bother. No more baseless statements with you passing opinions as so called facts and with you trying to act superior to us on this subject... I bet I can find WAY more people who hate this design then you can find people who truly love it.

Lmao the same people who whine and cry about the Bayformer redesigns are are the same minority complaining about this design. You and many others may hate this design because its different but this is a STRATEGIC move to market Sonic to a wider audience. The people behind this movie are the same people behind Fast and Furious. One of the highest grossing franchises of all time. You don't think these guys know what appeals to people? Paramount, the studio behind the billion dollar Transformers franchise? Which did have radical redesigns that the majority of people liked otherwise those movies would not have made billions for the Studio. They know more than you know, unless you've made a big budget blockbuster in the past that appealed to people? Then I'm going to trust people who have DECADES of experience in the industry over salty fans who are mad that Sonic doesn't look like Bugs Bunny's half-brother. 

• My Emmerdoods 1

14 minutes ago, LongcrierCat said:

... Wow, so much negativity in here. 

You'd think we'd be used to cartoony comic book animals being turned into live action friends. 

u-g-Q12XXCD0.jpg?w=550&h=550&p=0

guardiansofthegalaxy2-rocket-ship-worrie

Guess what? Sonic looks fine by current Hollywood standards.

Just a little nitpick but you've got a comic design based on its movie version here

25 minutes ago, LongcrierCat said:

... Wow, so much negativity in here. 

You'd think we'd be used to cartoony comic book animals being turned into live action friends. 

u-g-Q12XXCD0.jpg?w=550&h=550&p=0

guardiansofthegalaxy2-rocket-ship-worrie

Guess what? Sonic looks fine by current Hollywood standards. You know how much worse this could have been? 

latest?cb=20150402143505

rb___1.jpg

0_Mowgli-Legend-of-the-Jungle.jpg

As long as Sonic doesn't look like Andy Serkis' Mowgli where the animals have been made to have the likenesses of their actors, then this is miles better than what we could have gotten. In a post MCU world, you should have expected a Sonic that looked like this or like one of the Muppets from Where the Wild Things Are (which was perfect and people apparently don't understand a good movie when they see it). 

Also, mind if I just say?

I called it???

Your design was/is dead on. Nice work, man! :D

2 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Lmao the same people who whine and cry about the Bayformer redesigns are are the same minority complaining about this design. You and many others may hate this design because its different but this is a STRATEGIC move to market Sonic to a wider audience. The people behind this movie are the same people behind Fast and Furious. One of the highest grossing franchises of all time. You don't think these guys know what appeals to people? Paramount, the studio behind the billion dollar Transformers franchise? Which did have radical redesigns that the majority of people liked otherwise those movies would not have made billions for the Studio. They know more than you know, unless you've made a big budget blockbuster in the past that appealed to people? Then I'm going to trust people who have DECADES of experience in the industry over salty fans who are mad that Sonic doesn't look like Bugs Bunny's half-brother. 

None of this makes it immune to criticism. You're free to like the design and you're free to want more of this kind of stuff. I am not. Plenty of other people are not. The memes are already circulating the web. People are already laughing at this. But hey, if you like it all the power to you.

I don't. And I'm not going to stop voicing my tremendous dissatisfaction at this film and the approach. Maybe this movie will be successful like the Fast and Furious or Bayformers. Maybe it will. Success doesn't mean its good though. Plenty of media has been wildly successful, but is still (rightfully) critically panned and even laughed at.

And you don't need to have made a multi million dollar film franchise to criticise things. I mean what have you achieved in the film industry to give your perspective any greater credence than the rest of us? Simply because you're siding with a studio? Come on man.

We're not obligated to like this.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Promotion 1

I agree with the majority actually, I think it sucks because it looks too different to what Sonic is, it actually looks creepy to me. Lmao.

But if some people like it because it's a "movie realistic Sonic", just let them like it. Can they? 

I really dislike what we've seen but I'm definitely not gonna apologize for " hoping and dreaming" it would be good before, because I still don't like judging early and being cynical, not for me but if people want to start screaming panic immeditaley they are free to do that. Sorry for the rant.

• Thumbs Up 1

I like the teaser poster, but I still have to think about the design of Sonic himself. It looks interesting, but I would like to see more. I would give him gloves.

Here's a thought guys... Is the silhouetted teaser to soften the blow of the full reveal? When we all see those weird fucking black dot eyes set to white fur (I'm assuming).

I am genuinely baffled how anyone signed off on this. Every animal character in this universe will look fucking awful too lol. Oh dear.

Surely the production team must have seen the Pikachu trailer and how they handled the characters, as well as the hugely positive response it got, and thought "WOW. We fucked up here."

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

'Kay. Your attitude because you think people should shut up and accept this movie is wearing on my nerves. Stricker has already laid down a general warning so knock it off already.

• Thumbs Up 5

This was becoming to long for a status update so I'll post it here.

I waited most of my life for a awesome Sonic movie to be in theaters... seems I'll have to keep waiting! :L

I knew it from day 1 when they said the upcoming movie would be a live action/CGI mixed movie that it was going to be pure blaspheme and trash to the max! There is so many other terrible movies of the same type to compare it to, so it was super easy to know loosely the likely results from the start. So BLOODY disappointing...

Maybe in another 20 years we'll get a REAL theaters Sonic movie made by people who actually honestly like Sonic at least a little bit and are not desperate to transform Sonic into something it never was or ever meant to be.

I don't need to see the full reveal of Sonic's live action movie design to understand how disgusting it fully is... You have to try REALLY hard to make a design THAT bad when you have such a appealing cartoon design base reference to work from... Hell even the first 2 lame Smurf movies did better then THIS! That says a lot. Could they have done worse? Sure if they dedicated their lives to it I bet they could... but that possibility doesn't make what we are getting any better.

All that is left now is to wait to see how much they screw up Eggman's design and completely miss the point... I honestly at this point bet they won't even give him a mustache or put him in a fat suit... or do much of anything at all!

No I will not be going to theaters to watch this movie... I'm not that much of a masochist! I'll wait until this nonsense is on DVD and watch it whenever after that
for free if I can.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Dr Ryan said:

Here's a thought guys... Is the silhouetted teaser to soften the blow of the full reveal? When we all see those weird fucking black dot eyes set to white fur (I'm assuming).

I am genuinely baffled how anyone signed off on this. Every animal character in this universe will look fucking awful too lol. Oh dear.

Oh god, I haven't even thought about what they gonna do to Tails and Knuckles.....

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Because Hollywood always knows what they are doing right?

I mean its not like they made the ninja turtles into freakish abominations right?

I mean surely live action designs from Hollywood are always perfect and without one single flaw amirite?

I mean make Garfield look terrible i cant imagine!

• Chuckle 1

It actually looks like a human with a sonic head. The body is human , just look at this mess. 

Just for the record I’m not against redesigns or tweaks. I actually liked how Boom Sonic looked but the game was not so good. But this? Anyone who has love for this franchise will not endorse this.

• Thumbs Up 2

Some details from Tim:

"The first thing you need to do is put limits on it. If you can do anything, nothing is special. For me, it’s always about keeping it grounded and keeping it realistic,” said Miller. “We had some time to figure out the speed: What it looks like, what it feels like for a character to do that and how it relates to our world. It took a little trial and error, but that’s animation in figuring out what the effect looks like and what it does to the rest of the world around it. The speed changes over time because he evolves, because he can’t do everything at the beginning of the movie. It’s finding the visual language and figuring out how it’s going to evolve over time.”

So Sonic is basically like Flash. He has to learn how to go faster in the movie. Also:

Also:

"With Sonic being thrown into the real world and out of his own, it's unclear what presence fan-favorites like Tails and Knuckles will have in the new film. Miller confirmed that part of this new story will not take place on Earth, while Moritz said, "I think the audience can expect to find some Easter eggs. We don't want to reveal any of that stuff, but I think there will be some very exciting things that fans of Sonic will get to see in this movie."

We're probably going to get a Man of Steel-esque opening for the movie taking place on Sonic's world and that's where we'll see Tails, Knuckles and Amy. 

This movie is going to be great!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

Just now, PeterPancake said:

With that design? no way.

either way, we should stop talking about this please.

Some details from Tim:

"The first thing you need to do is put limits on it. If you can do anything, nothing is special. For me, it’s always about keeping it grounded and keeping it realistic,” said Miller. “We had some time to figure out the speed: What it looks like, what it feels like for a character to do that and how it relates to our world. It took a little trial and error, but that’s animation in figuring out what the effect looks like and what it does to the rest of the world around it. The speed changes over time because he evolves, because he can’t do everything at the beginning of the movie. It’s finding the visual language and figuring out how it’s going to evolve over time.”

So Sonic is basically like Flash. He has to learn how to go faster in the movie. Also:

Also:

"With Sonic being thrown into the real world and out of his own, it's unclear what presence fan-favorites like Tails and Knuckles will have in the new film. Miller confirmed that part of this new story will not take place on Earth, while Moritz said, "I think the audience can expect to find some Easter eggs. We don't want to reveal any of that stuff, but I think there will be some very exciting things that fans of Sonic will get to see in this movie."

We're probably going to get a Man of Steel-esque opening for the movie taking place on Sonic's world and that's where we'll see Tails, Knuckles and Amy. 

Because Hollywood has never made a bad video game movie?
I mean resident evil is like Citzen kane and the super Mario brothers movie from the 90's might as well be gone with the wind!

Certainly this movie will be as great as the Jean Claude Van Damme Street fighter film right? (though that movie is a guilty pleasure for me)

...sure, I'll weigh in.

First, not going to make any comments about his face; I can't see it so what's the point? The comments about not having the mono eye aren't great, but two eyes in concept doesn't have to be bad.

Second, not gonna lie, I don't hate the shoes. Maybe I've just become accustomed to Sonic having a variety of shoe designs between SA2, Riders, X, and Boom. His normal shoes are better, but the sneakers aren't a terrible choice.

But third, the fur is off putting. I think it looks better than Eddie Labron's film, but it makes his design much less sleek, which is something I think shouldn't be messed with, Boom's longer limbs have a similar problem, but not this bad.

Fourth, and by far the biggest problem, the muscles. Even more than the fur, this utterly destroys his sleek and cartoony image in favor of realism. Maybe no muscles would be unrealistic for an athlete, but it would be a lot more visually attractive. Giving him visible muscle and bone structure to his arms and legs makes him more person than creature, making it unrecognizable as Sonic.

Finally, the lack of gloves is also unattractive. While it's still possible he's wearing sports gloves that simply aren't visible, which I think could work, I don't see even a small cuff so I'm assuming his hands are bare. Showing more human hands is also going to make him unrecognizable as Sonic.

So in conclusion, is this the worst design they could have come up with? No, but it's still a bad design that only reflects the flawed premise for this film. The aesthetic direction just isn't visually attractive and will hinder potentially good work in other areas of the film. Just letting Marza make some slight modifications for their existing model would have been infinitely preferable.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Scar said:

Oh god, I haven't even thought about what they gonna do to Tails and Knuckles.....

Has it been confirmed that they are appearing in this film tho

Its funny Transformers was brought up. Fans despised those designs, too. And the movies weren't actually well received.

• Thumbs Up 4

"I think the audience can expect to find some Easter eggs."

I take this as: things that the fans expected to be important and unique elements of the movie from Sonic's world has been reduced to pointless little trinkets to score fan points with.

3 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

I hope you're ready to eat your words in the case this movie crashes and burns horribly.

His eyes are not beads. He's wearing headgear, guys. He has the classic eyes but split in two like a real animal. Tim wanted to make him look like a real creature 

• Thumbs Up 1