Awoo.

Kill La Kill

Remy

Yet you completely undermined and ignored the other stuff in my post about her character being inconsistent and putting Senketsu on the receiving end of things, despite him saving her life and waiting by her bed side for a whoooooooole Month waiting for her to wake up :V Typical.

She's a flawed character, yes, but those flaws are executed poorly, she still hasn't really grown as a character besides getting perfect sync with Senketsu briefly and an increase in power, but she still sucks as a character because there is no common ground between her emotions, it's either she's sad, or blindingly angry, if you think about it, she's like a female Luffy. Get's knocked back, laments, then finds a pick me-up and beats the previously unbeatable, except Ryuko moans and groans and goes off the rails far too many times to even sympathize with her, or understand what she's going through. But no, I can't justify her shitting on Senketsu right now, she's become a dislikeable character in this episode, and I hope she snaps out of it soon because honestly if I learned I was an alien and my mom was a raging neo hitler, but it was revealed to me that I've had a long lost sister all this time, I'd put my differences aside long enough to save family from the bad parent.

I ignored it because I've already posted about it before. I don't find her inconsistent. I don't find the way she's shown to be badly done. I find her lashing out at Senketsu makes sense, and sure as it might be reproachable, I'm also not the one going through this highly-stressful fantasy situation.

Going back to Evangelion, I find Asuka extremely annoying. But I'll defend her character and execution to the end. Because it makes sense in its context and everything jives together, which I find also happens with Ryuko. You say she hasn't grown as a character, I say she has- just on the complete reverse path of shonen protagonists. She started confident in herself, her world, her abilities, and her mission, and has slowly had all that taken away. Much like how Satsuki was the villain despite fitting the role of a shonen protagonist post-victory or post-conquest of the quest, Ryuko is the heroine but is hitting all the keys of a rival opponent character. And I frankly quite like and enjoy that, and don't find inconsistencies with it.

EDIT: Saw someone on 4chan compare it with Act 1 of The Protomen, and I figure it's something like that? Not very very close, as I find Mega Man's refusal of the people in the end is out of disgust for them, while Ryuko's refusal of the people is out of disgust for herself, but still a hero figure that's swamped by circumstances and forced to fail in its idealism.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sure has been debated in this topic:

Like I said two pages ago,I feel the inconsistency of Ryuko's character is honestly the point of her character; she doesn't know who or even what she is, and she doesn't know how to handle it. Every time she has a firm grasp on who she is, something else happens in her life to change everything, and the latest revelation was just the last straw; she snapped, and will naturally lash out at anything and everyone near her. I feel her character development won't truly come to fruition until near the end of the series, because had she fully developed any sooner than there'd really be no reason to follow her anymore than just wanting her to see her beat up the bad guys.

If I recall, Simon went through a similar stage around when Kamina died, and fans hated him for the same reason. And then he bounced back...epically.

I also don't really think its fair to say Satsuki is the better character because she's not angsting about her life. Satsuki already knew who she was and what she had to do. Satsuki has had 13 years to mold herself into the badass that she is today. She's already gone through the types of revelations that Ryuko has gone through and doesn't have time to feel sorry for herself about it. Which is the point because she is supposed to be Ryuko's primary foil; Satsuki is the one with the aspirations and determined will, while Ryuko has no greater goals aside from short terms ones and her sense of sense is rattled due to everything she knew being turned on its head, this is the contrast that makes them so different.

In any case, I think we're all just jumping the bandwagon here and having knee-jerk reactions; we don't know what Ryuko will do after this, and since we all know she doesn't truly hate Senketsu, she clearly did it for another reason than just "being angsty". Even her little spat in episode 16 about "SENKETSU SHOULDN'T FIGHT" was because she was scared and didn't know how to react. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yet you completely undermined and ignored the other stuff in my post about her character being inconsistent and putting Senketsu on the receiving end of things, despite him saving her life and waiting by her bed side for a whoooooooole Month waiting for her to wake up :V Typical.

She's a flawed character, yes, but those flaws are executed poorly, she still hasn't really grown as a character besides getting perfect sync with Senketsu briefly and an increase in power, but she still sucks as a character because there is no common ground between her emotions, it's either she's sad, or blindingly angry, if you think about it, she's like a female Luffy. Get's knocked back, laments, then finds a pick me-up and beats the previously unbeatable, except Ryuko moans and groans and goes off the rails far too many times to even sympathize with her, or understand what she's going through. But no, I can't justify her shitting on Senketsu right now, she's become a dislikeable character in this episode, and I hope she snaps out of it soon because honestly if I learned I was an alien and my mom was a raging neo hitler, but it was revealed to me that I've had a long lost sister all this time, I'd put my differences aside long enough to save family from the bad parent.

To chime in one thing, Luffy never really "laments" whenever he gets handed a loss, he just gets more pissed and his drive to kick the ass of the one he lost to increases. He lost to Crocodile twice and he's never been down about it. The only time he really was depressed about losing was at Marineford, which was a major blow to his character. 

Also people make it sound like Ryuko does nothing but bitch and moan when I can only recall a grand total of THREE times she did so. One where she was briefly scared of donning Senkentsu after turning into that monster (and she was worried for HIM mind you) which is completely understandable, the second time was kind of a dumb one because there seemed to be no reason for it at all (where she refused to wear Sunketsu out of misguided rebellion for the sake of doing so), and the third time is what we have now, I can't get to mad at Ryuko because she must have some ulterior motive for this, either way I can't see how she isn't allowed to be a little peeved to figure out that everything about her life has been a complete lie.. 

To chime in correct on, Luffy never really "laments" whenever he gets handed a loss, he just gets more pissed and his drive to kick the ass of the one he lost to increases. He lost to Crocodile twice and he's never been down about it. The only time he really was depressed about losing was at Marineford, which was a major blow to his character. 

Also people make it sound like Ryuko does nothing but bitch and moan when I can only recall a grand total of THREE times she did so. One where she was briefly scared of donning Senkentsu after turning into that monster (and she was worried for HIM mind you) which is completely understandable, the second time was kind of a dumb one because there seemed to be no reason for it at all (where she refused to wear Sunketsu out of misguided rebellion for the sake of doing so), and the third time is what we have now, I can't get to mad at Ryuko because she must have some ulterior motive for this, either way I can't see how she isn't allowed to be a little peeved to figure out that everything about her life has been a complete lie.. 

That actually was acknowledged, she was scared and didn't know how to react and just said the first thing on her mind.

• Thumbs Up 3

If I recall, Simon went through a similar stage around when Kamina died, and fans hated him for the same reason. And then he bounced back...epically.

Simon isn't Ryuko.

Simon lost the only family he ever had in the midst of battle. The only driving force he had. But Kamina left him with some good words to take to heart before he died - Simon was the very reason they got this far. Kamina was all words. He had to believe in himself. He didn't truly understand those words until he met Nia, and even with Simon's PTSD moments they actually amounted to something because they showed a change in his abilities, his company's performance and he would still get things done. The only real issue he followed passed that was resolved after his escape from prison when he realized that he shouldn't be looking to better humanity, but fight for a world that can let it run it's own course. These were clearly defined goals that didn't only had clear, consistent problems going through them, but he succeeded in his goals and overcame his problems

Ryuko's "family" was someone she never knew. Her goal was flimsy to begin with and she admitted herself how revenge wasn't her real goal, even though that's what it's still amounting to right now. She is just becoming more and more unrelatable, petty and inconsistent as the series goes. She hasn't bounced back one bit, and when she does it amounts to nothing but some cheap goals that benefit other people more than her.

A real turn to form is 7 episodes overdue. Not in the final episodes where a majority of the series has been wasted on gags and cheap twists.

Personally I'm just going to wait until next week to see what Ryuko does with herself, given all the curveballs the show has thrown our way so far I can't really except Ryuko's sudden attitude to be the whole story

You're right, why is an interesting and believable character even needed?

Ryuko is much more "believable" than Satsuki is. Most people would react badly in the situations Satsuki is going through not to mention the sexual abuse she probably has had to deal with since she was young. Even with all her endearing qualities though, its those SAME qualities that make her just as flawed as Ryuko...you get annoyed with her for different reasons. ( i think this was done on purpose so that the audience becomes invested in both characters depending on how they react to their environment.)

Its funny because Satsuki said something similar to Gama before he failed to take care of Ryuko, which was getting too caught up in resolve and getting lost in it. 

A flawed a bitchy character can sill be relate able and interesting simply because the world is filled with people who fly off the handle in a second just to calm down later. I'm sure we all have had our Ryuko moments sometimes consecutively, perhaps due to the pacing of the show though its harder to relate in between the times she flips out. 

I think Trigger is doing a good job regardless. Honestly the only reason why we are talking about the character in the first place is because inherently we want Ryuko to do better in the show.  If she wasn't "interesting" we wouldn't be talking about her in the first place. I just find it funny that 4chan was just calling Ryuko a Mary-Sue last week then something like this happens and everyone gets all upset about it. tongue.png

She is a Mary-Sue though. The last episode proved that much.

She's one that is inherently worse though since she gets nothing done, and treats each problem she has with reckless abandon. And it always works out for her with no real takeaway, meaning she never progresses as a charcter. It regresses and makes her worse, slowing down the plot.

And Satsuki getting a stronger resolve and getting tougher on account of endless lifelong abuse is hardly an unbelievable thing to swallow, more than anything its interesting. I suppose if you think someone who tackles each new problem by throwing a tantrum and ignoring previous developments and resolves is more interesting or believable then more power to you. Personally the only thing interesting about Ryuko to me is how much wasted potential she embodies.

I'm actually inclined to agree with the guys saying Ryuko's behavior isn't unreasonable. She's a teenage delinquent who never made friends until she met Mako. She probably never learned how to properly deal with such huge, spontaneous changes to how she views herself and the world around her, or real people skills, for that matter. The first funk was entirely understandable, she was unsure of her ability to keep her anger in check until Nui kicked her ass and forced her to accept that moping about it wasn't gonna fix anything. The second was for less than five minutes, where she hadn't fully processed the huge infodump she was given, and she was reluctant to force Senketsu into fighting (likely a result of him 'dying' a few episodes earlier), which was defused by a combination of Mako's usual brand of crazy and Senketsu being cool with fighting with her.

But this one is a much bigger deal for her than anything else before. She had been lead to believe that her mother was dead and she was simply a normal human. Then suddenly Ragyo tears her heart out and shows it to her, and gleefully declares that Ryuko's her daughter, because her body has been merged with life fibers like her. What she knew about much of her life and her very existence was a lie (one that Isshin probably would've cleared up if she hadn't rushed off after Nui before he could explain everything), and the heart-removing thing didn't help, either. A different person could have reacted much differently, but Ryuko is not that kind of person. The resulting shock was so great that she ended up in a month-long coma (and even a month of dreaming wouldn't nearly be enough for her to properly think it over in the state that she's in), and her awakening was incredibly unpleasant. She doesn't know what she is anymore, and she's already come to the conclusion that she's not human. No wonder she's completely lost her shit. Her upbringing and the circumstances of the revelation were the perfect storm that she just couldn't handle, mentally and emotionally. Sexy sensei even mentions that, had he known, he would've tried to let her down gently on the whole thing.

The main problem is, Trigger probably should've avoided putting her into a 'funk' until now, or at least not have gone with what happened at the end of episode 16, it otherwise just seems like unnecessary repetition to some.

The main problem is, Trigger probably should've avoided putting her into a 'funk' until now, or at least not have gone with what happened at the end of episode 16, it otherwise just seems like unnecessary repetition to some.

I don't think the endgame is the explicit issue, more so your latter point about episode 16 is probably the real issue. But not because of repetition.

m9cu7El.png

I already criticized this scene enough for stalling the plot further weeks back but looking back at it now, her phase in the recent episode directly contradicts her entire "Senketsu was given his own mind" fit. Then there's the Tsumugu episode early on in the series where Ryuko was this close to losing Senketsu. The largest takeaway really feels that she didn't care what the circumstances of Senketsu's creation were - he was given his own mind to think and to feel, and they formed an inseparable bond. In some ways, Senketsu was her first one true friend.

But for some reason learning that same factoid about herself means those words of her doesn't apply anymore and that we're going to prolong the series further just waiting for someone to have her learn the same thing.

See I realize it's a shitty circumstance to be in, but it means so little when Ryuko's backstory and life is shrouded in nothing and that she only began appreciating the things in life when she met Mako and Senketsu. Is that new lease on life void? Does she have to constantly look back at what was the past and ignore the circumstances of her present? It makes her pretty much a hypocrite who just can't move on and never learned how to do so, and not to knock on the Gurren Lagann drum here again, but the final act in that series, specifically in the Lagann-Hen version, was chock-full of shock twists and revelations that any normal person wouldn't handle, and Simon is by all means the most normal person in the cast. The revelation that Simon could not stay with Nia, the revelation that humanity would lead itself to it's own ruin, the revelation that the power he was given was a risk to the universe and that the entire existence lies on his shoulders, is all things anyone would have succumbed to. But he had developed so thoroughly through the series that he had enough faith in humanity that it can lead it's own course and can't be shackled by circumstance.

19 episodes in and with similar archetypes surrounding her I can't say the same about Ryuko, who really should get a new theme song at this point.

Very different circumstances, and Simon's experiences up to that point were very different from Ryuko's. And even in the movie, the entire gang freaks the fuck out until Nia splits off and starts smacking the Anti-Spiral - lest we forget that the revelation about Nia was what allowed the Anti-Spiral to beat Tengen-Toppa Gurren Lagann before it splits into multiple mechs.

Probably the biggest crux of what's driving Ryuko's behavior is she just hasn't had time to properly absorb the revelation while conscious, and it's quite possible that her coma has messed her thinking up completely. She was knocked into unconsciousness right after going into a severe state of shock, she might have been experiencing nightmares for an entire month, and that's not healthy for anyone's psyche. And the way she was jolted out of her coma was not remotely pleasant. For all we know, she might not even be able to discern the difference between dream and reality right now. And maybe her own life-fiber system might not be doing her any favors.

Human beings are emotional creatures who can act very irrationally and not be able to think straight in certain circumstances.

Very different circumstances, and Simon's experiences up to that point were very different from Ryuko's. And even in the movie, the entire gang freaks the fuck out until Nia splits off and starts smacking the Anti-Spiral - lest we forget that the revelation about Nia was what allowed the Anti-Spiral to beat Tengen-Toppa Gurren Lagann before it splits into multiple mechs.

But he learned how to cope with it in due time and didn't dwell on it. It wasn't because Nia kicked ass, it was because the entire crew, along with Nia specifically, reaffirmed his beliefs.

You're right that it isn't the same situation. Simon maintained more loss than Ryuko ever has; twice. And the second time it happened, he accepted it and was ready to move on. I can't really relate to Ryuko's "not human" revelation, especially when by all means and purposes the answers she was looking for about her past was something that never influenced her actually way of living her life when she met her friends, which Mako appropriately had to smack some sense into as early as Episode 12. Shit mom? I can understand that but she hated her already. Experimented upon birth? She's still human.

Sorry but we're just going to have to agree to disagree cause I really don't find the rationalizing consistent with what's been shown.

I know we kind of moved on, but I wanted to respond to this since you did the same.

Simon isn't Ryuko.

Simon lost the only family he ever had in the midst of battle. The only driving force he had. But Kamina left him with some good words to take to heart before he died - Simon was the very reason they got this far. Kamina was all words. He had to believe in himself. He didn't truly understand those words until he met Nia, and even with Simon's PTSD moments they actually amounted to something because they showed a change in his abilities, his company's performance and he would still get things done. The only real issue he followed passed that was resolved after his escape from prison when he realized that he shouldn't be looking to better humanity, but fight for a world that can let it run it's own course. These were clearly defined goals that didn't only had clear, consistent problems going through them, but he succeeded in his goals and overcame his problems

Ryuko's "family" was someone she never knew. Her goal was flimsy to begin with and she admitted herself how revenge wasn't her real goal, even though that's what it's still amounting to right now. She is just becoming more and more unrelatable, petty and inconsistent as the series goes. She hasn't bounced back one bit, and when she does it amounts to nothing but some cheap goals that benefit other people more than her.

A real turn to form is 7 episodes overdue. Not in the final episodes where a majority of the series has been wasted on gags and cheap twists.

Like Shirou said, Simon went through entirely different circumstances and are two entirely different characters with different personalities. 

Simon had no confidence in himself or his abilities,  but Kamina did hence the "Believe in You, who believes in me" line. Simon trusted Kamina's instinct that he's actually capable of something, and that gave him the resolve to push forward. After Kamina died, Simon lost the one person who he felt believed in him. And yes, while Kamina did leave him with some words of wisdom, but like you said, Simon didn't know the meaning of them until three episodes later. You know what he did in that time? He mopped, because not only was he partially responsible for Kamina's death, but because of that he questioned even if he was as good as Kamina said he was. 

Simon had low self-esteem, and went into a depressive and manic state after the one person who believed in him died. Simon had no goals either at the start, he was just following Kamina's lead because he believed in his cause, and took on his cause after he died and bounced back. 

Ryuko by comparison had been established from the start at having a very short temper and a confrontational attitude, but her goal wasn't so much of revenge for her Dad, but closure on his death. She says this herself around episode 8 or 9 or so. She finally does find her father's killer and lets her anger get the better of her, why? Because she has a flipping short temper, how else was she going to react to the whole thing, especially since Nui was taunting her about the entire thing. Afterward, she's afraid of putting on Senketsu for his sake, because Ryuko's anger was hurting him, but they resolved that issue and Ryuko bounces back, but it was a ploy by Nui and she got her ass kicked and Senketsu destroyed. Ryuko laments her weakness about losing, but once finds that there's a way to fix Senketsu, bounces back and does just that. Afterward, she finally gets the closure for her Dad that she wanted; she finds what his intentions where, why he died, and what he wanted Ryuko to do. She's shaken up for a bit, but ultimately accepts it and moves on. And now she finds out that she's not even human; yea, it didn't matter before because she still believed she was human, and naturally, that anger is flaring up again.

I don't understand how its inconsistent for a character who's been established at having a short temper, to ya know, get angry at shit when things don't go her way. You can say that her character development was long overdue, and to an extent, I'd agree but I don't agree with the notion that she's inconsistent or that her goals don't make sense because they do when you look at them from the way the series has progressed.

The Ryuko/Simon comparison was just pointing out what the two characters went through and how they handled it, which is in a negative way because both of them lost something that was important to them, and no who had it worse is irrelevant in this case.

Like Shirou said, Simon went through entirely different circumstances and are two entirely different characters with different personalities. 

Simon had no confidence in himself or his abilities,  but Kamina did hence the "Believe in You, who believes in me" line. Simon trusted Kamina's instinct that he's actually capable of something, and that gave him the resolve to push forward. After Kamina died, Simon lost the one person who he felt believed in him. And yes, while Kamina did leave him with some words of wisdom, but like you said, Simon didn't know the meaning of them until three episodes later. You know what he did in that time? He mopped, because not only was he partially responsible for Kamina's death, but because of that he questioned even if he was as good as Kamina said he was. 

Simon had low self-esteem, and went into a depressive and manic state after the one person who believed in him died. Simon had no goals either at the start, he was just following Kamina's lead because he believed in his cause, and took on his cause after he died and bounced back.

You're really repeating what I said myself here and I've already said why his depressive phase mattered and why it ended up actually paying off, so I won't be repeating myself on that front.

I don't understand how its inconsistent for a character who's been established at having a short temper, to ya know, get angry at shit when things don't go her way. You can say that her character development was long overdue, and to an extent, I'd agree but I don't agree with the notion that she's inconsistent or that her goals don't make sense because they do when you look at them from the way the series has progressed.

It's inconsistent because the point of the show has always been hammering down that the moral and point of Ryuko as a character is "don't lose your way".

There's at least four points in the story where Ryuko learns that her hot blooded nature is one that is detrimental to her and everyone around her. It's been said by Satsuki, by Mako, by The Elite Four and even herself in her post-berserk status. The fact that nothing sticks and she constantly shifts between being hot and cold means nothing changes and we're effectively watching a show about someone's mood swings resolving by the power of -contrived excuses- rather than acknowledging her flaws and pursuing onward, learning from those flaws. By the time she'll have learned, it's hardly going to be the result of the experiences she's been through and more because someone else told her otherwise.

Again; Gurren Lagann - Kamina dies. Simon goes through a depressive phase but overcomes the fact that he's gone and comes back stronger. In the end of the show, Nia dies, an even bigger blow as she's the most important person ever having graced his life, but he accepts that fact and despite having the ability to revive her he outright refuses to bring her back because he's accepted the nature of life. People die, that's the natural order. They move on and let life lead it's course. The Simon over 17 episodes ago was a wildly different Simon than the one we see now and every simple nuance; from the way he has his resolve after escaping prison, to beating some sense into Rossiu, to finally taking on the Anti-Spiral, shows the journey of a hero who never considered himself a hero. It mirrored the events of the past to show that we realize he's a different man, and we as an audience can believe in that because we've seen what he's done and the choices he made.

Character development.

It's inconsistent because the point of the show has always been hammering down that the moral and point of Ryuko as a character is "don't lose your way".

There's at least four points in the story where Ryuko learns that her hot blooded nature is one that is detrimental to her and everyone around her. It's been said by Satsuki, by Mako, by The Elite Four and even herself in her post-berserk status. The fact that nothing sticks and she constantly shifts between being hot and cold means nothing changes and we're effectively watching a show about someone's mood swings resolving by the power of -contrived excuses- rather than acknowledging her flaws and pursuing onward, learning from those flaws. By the time she'll have learned, it's hardly going to be the result of the experiences she's been through and more because someone else told her otherwise.

Again; Gurren Lagann - Kamina dies. Simon goes through a depressive phase but overcomes the fact that he's gone and comes back stronger. In the end of the show, Nia dies, an even bigger blow as she's the most important person ever having graced his life, but he accepts that fact and despite having the ability to revive her he outright refuses to bring her back because he's accepted the nature of life. People die, that's the natural order. They move on and let life lead it's course. The Simon over 17 episodes ago was a wildly different Simon than the one we see now and every simple nuance; from the way he has his resolve after escaping prison, to beating some sense into Rossiu, to finally taking on the Anti-Spiral, shows the journey of a hero who never considered himself a hero.

Character development.

Exactly, her theme is "Don't Lose your Way", and the problem is that she hasn't found her way yet, which is something she needs to overcome and has not done so fully yet. This is especially prevalent around a whole bunch of other characters who have found their way. Just because her hot blooded nature has been acknowledged as a flaw in the past doesn't mean she's actually done anything about it yet.

And on that note, I'd just say wait until the series is over if that's the case because her character arc isn't even over yet. We won't know where ultimately any of this will go until the series is over and we have everything to analyze. If you don't like what's been shown so far...then hey, I can't say anything to do that beside that I disagree.

Not saying Ryuko is a perfect character, but I feel that was point; she's not perfect, and despite her theme being "Don't Lose Your Way", Ryuko has not found her way and I think that's where her arc will peak once she does so, and I feel its not bad if someone else does help her find her way. So I won't really judge her character fully until I see how all of this is handled in the next couple of episodes. 

Should she have peaked a few episodes back? Maybe, maybe not.

With all due respect, she knew her problem and flat out ignored the blatant solution. The fact that her arc is laid out as plain as day and still haven't moved anywhere while others have instills me with incredibly little confidence that this is all going to pay off in any satisfying way. A character-driven story can survive a lot of things but if the protagonist, the vehicle to the plot, is a non-starter that exists only to create "cool" scenarios then some priority is in order.

But really this is all going in circles. I only criticize what's there, and looking back at all that one of the very key reasons this pacing has been so off has been almost entirely because of Ryuko, who hasn't contributed to any significant events plot-wise other than forwarding the goals of the villains or people more capable than she is.

To be fair, I never said it was going to be satisfying but rather that I'll wait and see if it is going to be just that. If its shit, then I'll acknowledge it. 

That said, yes. Ryuko was mainly an instrument for everyone else's plan and basically played like a fiddle for most of the series, and that is frustrating to see, a protagonist who can't move the plot themselves, but being pin balled around in it. To be somewhat fair to her however, I think that's more because Satsuki was using her than Ryuko herself.

Its going to be rather awkward that the cause of her behavior was due to the music being played by the COVERS....cause in that cause then the argument is kinda void XD.

I think Ragyo is trying to feed hate into her daughters on purpose for her ultimate plan. Going berserk is fueled by anger so it only makes sense.

Ragyo been plotting to have Satsuki lose it for quite some time and now she has another toy to play with.

I like Ryuko and Satsuki rather equally since they are both very endearing and also have faults to their personality. Ryoku with losing her shit at times and Satsuki has an unyielding RESOLVE that she willing to play the villain and stomp on the weak to get to where she needs to be.

I had moments in life where I can relate to both of these characters to varying degrees, but ultimately I don't agree with Satsuki way of things...you think she would have learned a thing or two after getting the shit beaten out of her from her mother. She needs a partner not a subordinate to take on her mother...which I think will be her ultimate lesson in the end. Ryuko just need to chill the fuck out, but a lifetime of violence and delinquency can do that to someone. (I know some good examples.)

Both sisters are playing the Red Oni/Blue Oni to the extreme, and their methods are wrong and right at the same time. 

If its one thing that bothers me about this show, its the pacing; which moves entirely too fast really. Plot points don't have enough time to sit and dwell before we've moved onto the next. And in this case, its the third time this particular plot point has come up.

If its one thing that bothers me about this show, its the pacing; which moves entirely too fast really. Plot points don't have enough time to sit and dwell before we've moved onto the next. And in this case, its the third time this particular plot point has come up.

Some people are pretty okay with the pacing though and can mentally fill in the missing space, but I can understand exactly where your coming from. The show makes it feel like all these plot points simply happened in the span of a 2 weeks or so, but in reality its much much longer than that.

The whole fight club part of the show more or less skipped the part of the show were Ryuko would have dealt with the typical Goku uniform of the week for the next few months (episodes) for example. Natural Selection week felt like 2 days when there was plenty of time for other things to happen in between and the take over of the other regions of Japan could have had different pacing as well.

And to think people actually say the show should have just been 12 episodes. Ultimately I think that the shows pacing has to due largely with the budget of the anime. Trigger cut the fat and put the story telling on 2x speed, but sometimes it doesn't give us the chance to soak things in (Kinda like how Ryuko reacts through the show eh?) Although the pacing is awesome when its at its best...like in episode 3.

Hopefully the ending is good enough and I can overlook the really lackluster middle portion. A rushed middle part is a lot easier to stomach and a bad ending.

Hopefully the ending is good enough and I can overlook the really lackluster middle portion. A rushed middle part is a lot easier to stomach and a bad ending.

I hope so too, but I have a big feeling since there is going to be pretty long OVA coming out that the ending of the show...while satisfying will not be the TRUE ending and we will be left hanging for the OVA episodes.

Anyway I think Trigger is doing a good job with a show this low budget honestly. They really managed to make it work and develop to something memorable with a unique theme...so I'm excited with what they can do with a Type Moon budget in the future. If only Kill La Kill had that.