Awoo.

Sonic Lost World: *Japan Site Update* TGS2013 Trailer, New artwork and more!

Woun

Shame that the player never goes near the water, I really wanna see if Sonic can go into it. Its pretty weird how Sonic just randomly teleports to the other side of the planetoid after activating drill wisp.  Also looks like they're bringing back multiple hit regular enemies, you can't take down Egg Pawns with the HA, you gotta use that awful kick move. Stupid giant Caterpillars were enough but why Egg Pawns?

Edited by Enderwoman

Wasn't it seen in some older footage that you can defeat the "extra durable" enemies with the homing attack if you get close enough before homing into them? That seems to happen at least once in the Tropical Coast footage, and then there's near the beginning of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtASJ9hAEYA

Wasn't it seen in some older footage that you can defeat the "extra durable" enemies with the homing attack if you get close enough before homing into them? That seems to happen at least once in the Tropical Coast footage, and then there's near the beginning of this:

When the player homing attacked the three Egg Pawns it destroyed the one on the left in the back, but not the other two. It might have something to do with where you hit them, cause in the video the Bugs only died when you hit them on the back, but right now it just seems inconsistent.

Oh merciful god... you do control all the wisps with the gamepad's screen.... you lot are really gonna hate that.

I see what you're doing here.  Please stop.  The gamepad controls could end up being completely fine.  Plus, we KNEW from the onset that the wisps would involve gamepad functionality.

Edited by Radrappy

I see what you're doing here.  Please stop.  The gamepad controls could end up being completely fine.  Plus, we KNEW from the onset that the wisps would involve gamepad functionality.

To be fair, Hogfather has a point, yeah we knew it would have Gamepad controls , but in general the Wii didn't have great Wiimote controls untill the end of the consoles life , bar a few, and SEGA does have (what I call) "Secret Rings Syndrome" where they feel like they have to include every gimmick possible into a game, they haven't yet even added pro controller support, which has the same number of buttons minus the gyro controls (I think?) and touch control of the gamepad, adding the pro controller would arguably increase the appeal to some gamers, especially those coming from a more traditional console. We don't even know about the button controls, they were there for lazer, and will probably be there for the other wisps, but it's plainly clear they don't want you to use them.

EDIT: spelling mistakes and a general tidy up 

Edited by Jolt_TH
  • Thumbs Up 1

Why is it that I feel the best thing from the stream was the remix of the boss music?

Because good music is good music. I'll admit, my favorite part of the stream was hearing Tropical Coast's music and the Zomom boss remix.

• Thumbs Up 1

I feel like I was more hyped for this trailer than I should have, at least we saw Tropical Coast, heard some good music, found out that theres 4 acts on the map but 2 are unlockable & seen in game achievments =D!

I can't wait to hear the tropical remix of the Deadly Six's theme haha

I'd pay more money if said remix featured Snoop Lion.

• Thumbs Up 8

To be fair, Hogfather has a point

I'm sorry, what was his/her point?  "ooooh you lot are going to hate this" is hardly constructive criticism.  In fact I don't think Hogfather has ever said anything positive about this game other than the odd backhanded compliment.  I realize SLW will have its share of problems but that's no reason not to have a positive attitude until the game actually comes out and proves to be a dud.

Also, I'm not sure what your point is either.  I'm suggesting that we not damn the wiipad functionality just yet, having not played the final version of the game.  Motion/gamepad controls are not inherently bad.  It could be fun!  It starts with having at least a semi open mind.

Or, if you'd prefer we can pronounce the game a failure in advance and be smug with the satisfaction that ps360 owners aren't missing anything.  

Edited by Radrappy
  • Thumbs Up 1

Also, im sure you can use a more traditional control style iirc, which would render the issue with gamepad controls kinda moot.

• Thumbs Up 1

All of these things look like they could be controlled with a regular controller.  Dunno why they wouldn't let us other than insistence on using motion controls because they're there.

*sees tropic stage video*

Yeah, another hub world like Sonic Colours. /sarcasm. Seroiusly. Why? This game would have looked better with a better hub world. Even something like generations would have worked. Just seems really lazy if you ask me. Oh well. 

Am I the only one let down at the underwater segment? The only way shown to access it was with the drill. Why cant we let sonic jump in the water and take a dip? Nitpicks I know but it's something that really bugs me. Besides all of that, the game play seemed pretty decent. 

Yeah, another hub world like Sonic Colours. /sarcasm.

How is this even sarcasm.

Also, lazy?  And floating dioramas in LITERAL EMPTINESS isn't?!

I love the overworld.  Reminds me of Super Mario World.  More power to them.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm personally fine with the Colors like hub. It's simple, eye catching, and full of life and color. As much as I love unleashed/SA like hubs, these are not lazy or crappy by comparison.

• Thumbs Up 8

I was really interested to see what they could do with the new themes with Unleashed-like HUBs, with maybe the Wisps acting as the new people to interact with this time around. I think this HUB is good mind you, but the Unleashed HUB style still could have worked.

• Thumbs Up 1

When the player homing attacked the three Egg Pawns it destroyed the one on the left in the back, but not the other two. It might have something to do with where you hit them, cause in the video the Bugs only died when you hit them on the back, but right now it just seems inconsistent.

The guy homing-attacked the left one twice, the one in the front only once which just stunned it. Some enemies can only be kicked to be killed, kicked then homing attacked, or homing attacked twice. It doesn't apply for all of them,  some can still be H-A'ed once.

I'm sorry, what was his/her point?  "ooooh you lot are going to hate this" is hardly constructive criticism.  In fact I don't think Hogfather has ever said anything positive about this game other than the odd backhanded compliment.  I realize SLW will have its share of problems but that's no reason not to have a positive attitude until the game actually comes out and proves to be a dud.

Also, I'm not sure what your point is either.  I'm suggesting that we not damn the wiipad functionality just yet, having not played the final version of the game.  Motion/gamepad controls are not inherently bad.  It could be fun!  It starts with having at least a semi open mind.

Or, if you'd prefer we can pronounce the game a failure in advance and be smug with the satisfaction that ps360 owners aren't missing anything.  

Now hold on just a second there, did I say at all in my post that Lost World is going to be bad? No, I'm looking forward to it very much and am even saving up for a Wii U to get it.

What I am saying is that I can see Hogfathers point about the motion controls, at the end of the day they ARE a gimmick, I wasn't stating that they are inherently bad but that they have a huge potential to backfire at Sonic team, considering the Wii U is practically in its infancy. The ONLY wisp power we have heard anything about is the Cyan lazer, and that did not fill me with confidence, sure it was an early build of the game and it may have been improved, but what if it hasn't? I know touch screen controls have a habit of being finicky, more so than gyro controls at least, but if the average person can't aim fairly straight and go in the rough direction they want to go using the gamepad there is a flaw in the control scheme. Like I said it may have been improved  and I hope it has, or the other wisps may not be bad by any means. There is also the fact that there are some members of the public, heck I know there are some members of this very forum who HATE motion controls and much prefer classic button inputs, again we don't know anything about the other wisps, but it's clear that Sonic Team want us to use the motion controls, which is understandable, it shows off the innovativity (is that a word?) of the console and the developer and I would assume takes longer than button inputs to set up, having to probably calibrate sensitivity and all that zazz wink.png

Also what is your problem with Hogfather not liking the game? His complaint about the wisp controls is a perfectly valid and slightly worrying criticism, you said yourself "that is no reason not to have a positive attitude untill the game actually comes out and proves to be a dud?"

we know this game will be different from any before and will probably be highly polarising to the fan base, Hogfather has played it and he didn't like it, so what? That doesn't mean his opinion is invalid because he hasn't "played the full game" he played a demo version made SPECIFICALLY for the purpose of letting people try it and become interested, that was the whole point of that and any demo Sonic Team release and after playing said demo Hogfather didn't like or become interested in the game and that's fine.

I'll counter your statement with another:

there is no reason to not have a negative view of the game untill the game is actually released and proves to be worth the hype

Don't tell me that I do not have an open mind, my mind seems a lot more open that other members of the Internet who will just blindly praise and attack those who are looking forward to it. I enjoy motion controls a lot, they are one of my favourite aspects of Skyward Sword and I am really hyped and excited for Lost World, but my mind is plenty open to see that it may have flaws, be the best game ever, or in the worst case, be completely over hyped akin to 06, or anything between those two extremes. Because I could see a potential problem with the motion controls based on some fairly reliable information (Hogfather IS a reliable source) and others have also echoed similar sentiments, does not mean I have a closed mind.

Again where did I say that? Your blowing a simple discussion about ONE aspect of the game (which does seen optional) way out of proportion and putting words in MY mouth, which I do not go down with AT ALL! I never said the game was going to be a dud, infact I'd love for it to be so popular Sonic stayed on Nintendo, for purely selfish reasons I'll admit, as Nintendos are the only consoles I buy, even with the POSSIBLE bad motion controls I do think the Xbox and Playstation owners are missing out on what looks to be a fun and interesting take on the Sonic gameplay.

EDIT: typos and formatting 

Edited by Jolt_TH
  • Thumbs Up 9

So Tropical Coast analysis

edit: now i think about it, did anybody ever translate the mission text? Hardly important but I'm a little surprised nobody's said what it was yet

Edited by Blitz 'n Burst
  • Thumbs Up 2

Huh....seems they preferred the 3DS version more.

That's a reassuring thing then for 3DS owners. Not saying that the Wii U will be any bad. But the 3DS version like one of the guys said would be for those people like me that do not have a Wii U and wouldn't feel too cheated out of the whole game experience and might buy the other version down the line.

• Thumbs Up 2