Awoo.

Sonic Lost World: *Japan Site Update* TGS2013 Trailer, New artwork and more!

Woun

Okay, so the Wisp functionality is borked in this game... is there even the slightest chance that they'll fix it by the time it goes gold?

edit: now i think about it, did anybody ever translate the mission text? Hardly important but I'm a little surprised nobody's said what it was yet

The mission text looks like little achievements. "Try doing more than 2 spindashs -chao" or something.

Okay, so the Wisp functionality is borked in this game... is there even the slightest chance that they'll fix it by the time it goes gold?

With regards to the laser wisp. Yes.

Or at least it should be fixable, it's so difficult to aim the thing that if you excuse the jargen, it just needs tightening up. It is fixable, but it's a question if it will since every wisp seems to be tied to the gamepad in some way and it's practically being forced on us to use it.

Ugh, if only the Wisp gamepad function wouldn't probably end up being my single biggest gripe towards the game, it shouldn't be hard for manual controls to be implemented instead....

I don't think it's as bad as people claim it to be, I mean it's not exactly clear with what you're supposed to do to activate them, and seriously how can it be so hard to implement controls to activate wisps with a touch pad? Every other game that utilizes the touch pad didn't have a problem with it, so why should SEGA?

I don't think it's as bad as people claim it to be, I mean it's not exactly clear with what you're supposed to do to activate them, and seriously how can it be so hard to implement controls to activate wisps with a touch pad?

It's not just the activation though, with regards to the laser wisp, you also have to aim it using the touchpad (at least I'm quite sure you can only do it with that). only if it were a case of 'drawing the fire direction' this wouldn't be a problem, but you're fighting against the wisp trying to get it to go where you want it to.

I keep hearing that these apparently offensive gamepad controls are optional, I would like to get an actual source about this.

It's not just the activation though, with regards to the laser wisp, you also have to aim it using the touchpad (at least I'm quite sure you can only do it with that). only if it were a case of 'drawing the fire direction' this wouldn't be a problem, but you're fighting against the wisp trying to get it to go where you want it to.

Dr MK confirmed that wasn't the case, you can control it with a stick.

Footage from what I've seen have you only draw the path you wish to shoot the laser, and it keeps on going until it runs out of power, having to actually control the laser by forcing it's path by drawing on the touch pad seems more trouble than it should be?

Dr MK confirmed that wasn't the case, you can control it with a stick.

Yeah but he also said it wasn't very good.... .. .. lets drag Dr MK in here and question him!

eskimo.jpg

Tell us all you know of these... Wisps...

• Thumbs Up 3

They are, but it's like also saying 'is using guns in Shadow's game optional?'

Yes, but... if you're gonna go for the best times, the best scores or the alternative paths, then you have to use them.

• Thumbs Up 2

I probably won't even touch the Wisps unless I really, really have to. Collecting red star rings is gonna be hell though lol. I at least hope underwater Drill can be controlled with a stick...

But from what I've heard, controlling wisps in the 3DS version is fun. You use the circle pad to control Asteroid. So Wii U is better for everything but the Wisps, 3DS is better for The Wisps. But both are very nearly equally as good in my opinion.

Edited by Wil348

Pretty sure these sorts of gimmicks can be turned off in favour of controller inputs in the options menu, that's normally the case anyway.

• Thumbs Up 3

I feel the ways the Wisps are going to be controlled in the 3DS version may be more fine tuned/a bit better than its Wii U brethren. Optional controls taken to account of course.

I think Hogfather could have been controlling the laser incorrectly, as I've seen players such as Aaron play through it without any issues. It's easy to confuse terms such as sliding and swiping with one another, so I'm not saying it'd be entirely his fault, just that he might have been mistaken with the directions is all.

Yeah, because the game isn't exactly clear on what you're supposed to do, the thought had crossed my mind too.

Pretty sure these sorts of gimmicks can be turned off in favour of controller inputs in the options menu, that's normally the case anyway.

Where'd you hear this? :P

They are, but it's like also saying 'is using guns in Shadow's game optional?'

Yes, but... if you're gonna go for the best times, the best scores or the alternative paths, then you have to use them.

The Guns in Shadow also let you take out enemies faster, since they have loads of health that goes down slowly when you homing attack them. The wisps do not offer a more convenient way of killing things, except maybe the Ivory Stone one, and even then, enemies aren't even cumbersome to kill in the first place. With the exception of those purple worms, who I've learned requires the spindash to kill them without getting hurt.

Also, for what it's worth, at PAX I was able to use the Laser wisp consistently, without problems. I used BOTH the touchscreen and the analogue stick methods. There's a laser sight to help you aim for a reason- you line that up with the crystal in front of you, and bam, you're off.

I am not, however, going to say this game has "no problems", or say that "you can't think badly of it", or any such nonsense. I just felt I needed to comment on this matter, as someone else who HAS played this game and DIDN'T have as many problems, except on the 3DS version of the Desert Ruins above ground stage that makes use of Asteroid (because of said purple worms). And in Windy Hill's 2D act on the Wii U version, I couldn't figure out how to properly use the Asteroid Wisp (because it controls different from 3D to 2D).

Edited by Shade Vortex

It appears I have been summoned!

In short, yes, the laser wisp controls were utterly broken if you used the touch screen. You have to aim by sort of sliding your finger or the stylus in a certain direction and then you're meant to give a quick flick to make yourself fire off, but the GamePad confused the flick for just switching the direction so the aiming cursor was going all over the place.

Also yes, in the demo I played at least, you could use the buttons and stick to control the laser. I know this purely because I got so fed up of the touch controls not working so I thought I'd try out the more traditional method on the off chance, and whaddya know, it actually worked. But the aiming was a lot slower than it was in Colours, though assuming these controls remain in the final game then it's possible they might be sped up a bit.

I have a lot of hope and optimism for Lost World but I cannot deny I am dreading having to use the wisps. Fingers crossed they've made them more tolerable by launch.

You can use the buttons, but it's pretty evident they expect you to use the touch screen. As far as I@m aware there's no indication you can even use thw buttons

If you can use buttons and the touch screen for the wisp's controls, wouldn't you be able to aim the wisp with the touch screen, and then fire it with the button? Would fix the issue rather well, if it is in the final version. Public Wii U's can have incorrectly calibrated gamepads and finicky touch screens, though, so it could have been just a technical error rather than poor programming. Time will tell, I guess.