Awoo.

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (Kickstarter - PS3/PS4/Vita/PC/360/XBO/Wii U/PC/Switch)

Carbo

We might get lucky and get a huge last day rush for the first additional chapter, especially now that Paypal is an option for backers. But I doubt we could pull in another 100k on the last day.

Update #27 - Risky Boots Mode

We’re at the halfway point between our initial funding goal, and the Risky Boots Stretch Goal! Today we’re taking a closer look at exactly what it will be like to play the part of the bodacious buccaneer. 

bGBc4yr.png

Opening Cinematic: At the start of our tale, Shantae wakes in the night and is drawn trance-like through the dark forest and into a secret cavern. She is transported to the Genie Realm, but returns a few moments later having witnessed a power beyond anything imaginable. Shantae leaves to embark on a grand adventure – but fails to notice the Tinkerbat spying from within the shadows… the tiny pirate minion skitters off to report this to its master.

Kickoff: Risky Mode begins with the above cinematic. From there, we descend on Risky’s pirate ship, and cut to her captain’s quarters; a large office dominated by a luxurious bathtub in which the Queen of the Seven Seas simmers and stews. The Tinkerbat minion reports, and within moments Risky Boots hatches a plan.

Goal: As Risky, your job is to raid, pillage, and plunder Sequin Land in search of items that will allow entry into the Genie Realm. After all, the ultimate power is there for the taking, and only one scrawny Half-Genie brat stands in the way. Like any door, this magical portal to the Genie Realm must have a key. To Risky’s logic, there’s no better starting point than the old man. Players will soon find that Uncle Mimic (Relic Hunter, living fossil, inventor, and Shantae’s only family member) is at large, and in his hasty exit he’s dropped a literal paper trail of blueprints. With the right parts, Risky’s Tinkerbats could construct some of these devices. With each blueprint she finds, Risky gains a new Tinker-Tool that will help her take down the old man and the brat, and finally gain entry to the fabled Genie Ream! Heave ho men! 

lLD4Ve2.png

Gameplay: Risky Mode uses the same overall location of the main Shantae storyline, with key story elements swapped, and the order of progression shuffled. As Risky gains Tinker-Tools, (Pistol upgrades, Grappling Hook, Shoulder Cannon) she will gain abilities that in some ways mirror Shantae’s “Dance Transformations”. But these moves are found in a different order, in unique locations meaning that even if you know Shantae’s Story, Risky Mode will be a completely new experience. Risky’s pirate-themed abilities could be aptly compared to the special moves seen in “Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse” for Nintendo 3DS. More examples:

-Shantae can whip, but Risky can slice with her scimitar!

-Shantae can become a flying creature, but Risky can use a grappling hook!

-Shantae can cast a fireball, but Risky has a pistol that fire various types of ammo!

-Shantae can become a small creature and enter a narrow space, but Risky can send a Tinkerbat in to do her bidding! 

RHPlEE2.png

Let’s make this Stretch Goal happen so we can double the fun! Remember too, that every additional Stretch Goal will expand the game’s features overall, giving both Shantae & Risky Boots more to do!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/611003

Really hope we reach this one, seeing as it basically doubles the length of the game and looks to add a few neat twists on the tried-and-tested Shantae formula.

• Thumbs Up 1

Off topic, but why do people make white text posts? Does it have to do with Sonical?

Copying and pasting all the text from Kickstarter formats it in grey/black that you can't really read very easily on the forum, and trying to set it to the default format settings makes it a bit of a nightmare too. So simply changing the font colour to white offers a quick, makeshift solution.

Just confirmed that the next unveiled stretch goal is voice acting as we predicted.  I can't wait to not reach this one.  8C 8C 8C

I know it might not be this goal in particular, but I think there's a good chance the extended timeframe for the paypal donations could help hit 3-5 goals over time.

Hell, we're almost at Risky mode already.

• Thumbs Up 1

Copying and pasting all the text from Kickstarter formats it in grey/black that you can't really read very easily on the forum, and trying to set it to the default format settings makes it a bit of a nightmare too. So simply changing the font colour to white offers a quick, makeshift solution.

Solution- C&P into notepad first, then on to the forums. You'll have to add in  pictures/videos manually though.

Now how about that eraser button on the top left of the comment box? :D

Update #29 - Stretch Goal revealed – Clockwork Night!

This is the last “Bonus Chapter” stretch goal! Bonus Chapters sandwich right into the middle of the adventure, extending the amount of game between the mysterious INTRO and the action packed CONCLUSIONThe more bonus chapters we can fund, the more levels, transformations, and bosses there will be!
AdsrkBw.png
This chapter occurs late in the game, and takes Shantae and friends into a “tech-level”. In classic gaming fashion, we have now moved from tropical and spooky themed areas, into and out of dungeons, and finally to world of technology that is completely unknown to these characters. A true “fish out of water” stage, Shantae and friends are completely unprepared for the fusion of magic and circuitry that Risky’s vile Tinkerbats have constructed. At the mercy of a mechanized world, Shantae gets some inspiration of her own -- and one final Dance Transformation is born

Also, some great news: We've hit our first stretch goal! While not on Kickstarter, factoring in the PayPal pledges brings us up to JUUUUST over $500,000, which means we'll be getting an entire second story mode staring the busty buccaneer Risky Boots!

p.s. sorry for the quote formatting; ip board isn't agreeing with me today

Edited by Cola
  • Thumbs Up 3

I'm glad that Risky mode was the first stretch goal because that was the one I had been wanting the most. Of course, in a perfect world we'd reach every quota because they all look fabulous

• Thumbs Up 1

Ya know even though I haven't played any of the shantae games I still feel pretty bummed at the fact that some of these stretch goals aren't going to be reached, they all seem so cool.

I'm so happy we got Risky Mode! It was one of the stretch goals I was hoping for, seeing as how I love Risky Boots in the games. Not to mention, her gameplay sounds like a new interesting experience.

It's a shame it's unlikely we're going to get any of the other stretch goals though... =(

Edited by Emperor Robrainiac

Uggggh want animated Shantae so bad.

Admittedly I'm not overly hyped for Risky mode, I'm actually kinda surprised she has the following she does.  I don't find her all that endearing a villian.  I really hope we'll get to play as Rotty and Bolo, I love those guys.  However extra chapters is certainly the most important stretch goals for me.  I always prefer a bit of extra content that's 100% original to a lot of content that is partially recycled.

Edited by JezMM

It's the boobs.

But everyone has boobs!

Well except Uncle Mimic and Bolo which... honestly makes it all the more impressive that I like them so much.

I dunno about you guys but they had better give us Shantae "Jamjam's"

costume !!

she looks adorable!

I dunno about you guys but they had better give us Shantae "Jamjam's"

costume !!

she looks adorable!

Would be awesome as an unlockable though I won't hope too much since of course it would require a ton of extra animation work (since her hair isn't in a ponytail).

Update #32 - New Backer-Only Content: Hyper Light Drifter!

We have only 68 hours (or so) left in our Shantae: Half-Genie Hero campaign… but we've still got a few surprises in store. Today we’re pleased to announce that we've teamed-up with Heart Machine, developer of Hyper Light Drifter!

jaQ0lG3.png

Check out their Kickstarter page to see a brand new quest added to Hyper Light Drifter featuring a cameo by Shantae’s arch nemesis Risky Boots! What?!  Not only that...for our Backers, we’ve got an an Exclusive Risky Boots Quest featuring "Drifter". Any pledge of $12 or higher (any amount that gets the game) will automatically earn you a download code for this Backer Exclusive side quest in Half-Genie Hero!

Edited by Cola

Decided to finally pledge some money towards this last night, went for the $25 tier so I can get the inevitably god-like soundtrack as well as a copy of the game for my Wii U (as well as that exclusive blue outfit to prove I did my bit - though I agree with wanting Jam-Jams Shantae too!).

It's looking likely we'll hit the $600k stretch goal now but anything beyond that is likely out of our reach unless donations start going into overdrive like they did with Mighty No. 9. Which is a shame, as we'd be within touching distance of the alternate costumes then... let's hope now that one of the big Kickstarters is out of the way, people will put their focus and money (if they have any left!) towards this project.