Awoo.

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (Kickstarter - PS3/PS4/Vita/PC/360/XBO/Wii U/PC/Switch)

Carbo

Just got done playing the demo, too.

I really had no idea the sprite work was going to be as good as it is. The game looks really smooth. Screenshots don't do it justice. I was worried about how 2D sprites on 3D Backgrounds would look, but the game is really pretty. Really glad I backed this. In terms of gameplay, it's a lot like Risky's Revenge, but it benefits from not being confined to a portable aspect ratio. 

And like Jez said, Jake Kaufman's music is amazing, as always. 

I still wanna know how these guys make hand drawn sprites that look as good as they do.

And animate them so well.

Does anyone have gameplay footage of the early access demo? Me and my boyfriend didn't give as much to the Kickstarter and we really wanna see this! OwO

Here's some gameplay videos from YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO9MIQpIwvw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4c0O8XWGP8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3dwWa7lktI

Looking good!

• Thumbs Up 4

Does anyone have gameplay footage of the early access demo? Me and my boyfriend didn't give as much to the Kickstarter and we really wanna see this! OwO

Yes, and OH MY GOODNESS is the game gorgeous!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO9MIQpIwvw

EDIT: Beaten!

But god damn, THIS is how I wanted a Sonic game to look like, as well as Mighty No. 9 and Bloodstaine, HD 2D sprites on a 2.5 plane.

0qtLNn8.gif

This. Blows. Mighty No. 9. Out of the water.

What a gorgeous looking game! I wish I could play it~

• Thumbs Up 1

Just compare her idle animation before she starts running in the very first trailer here.

To how it looks now.

Goddamn beautiful.

wow :o  these animations and the game demo are amazing! when I get the chance I really need to help the kickstarter out because I can't wait for this game to show up

wow  :o  these animations and the game demo are amazing! when I get the chance I really need to help the kickstarter out because I can't wait for this game to show up

The kickstarter finished long ago, but I think you can still donate on their official website via paypal.

Yeah I snagged the one with Shantae shaking her bootay. XP

I really hope we get a final release date at E3. Wouldn't be surprised if it's the end of this year or early next year.

It looks really fun. Reminds me of Rayman Legends in both art style and music.

Glad I wasn't the only one who saw that. At times they're not jiggling, they're literally expanding! That's not how they work.

it's not even a question of them working realistically or not, they just feel they're wobbling spastically in an animation cycle completely independent from the rest of the body. Gainaxing gone wrong

I was gonna mention something about that like "man those breasts move really unrealistically, they're trying too hard" but I was scared someone would make fun of me.

No, seriously, it happens a lot. :V

Now , I wonder how Jake Kaufmann's going to manage to enhance that signature Shantae boss theme of his even more superior for this game! And how he'll go about doing it too.

I was gonna mention something about that like "man those breasts move really unrealistically, they're trying too hard" but I was scared someone would make fun of me.

No, seriously, it happens a lot. :V

I was thinking the same thing too, lol. I could be wrong but I feel the crouching animation is really evident of this.

17iFRbg.gif

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 months later...

Heads up to EU tinkerbackers on Shantae, the "PAL/EU" versions of digital copies are NEWLY ADDED options in the backerkit survey.  Make sure to redo the backerkit survey as prompted by recent e-mails, I did mine ages back but upon checking I saw that I had selected regular Wii U copy, not PAL/EU one, suggesting the option wasn't there when I did it before. Don't get caught out!

This also applies to Australian/New Zealand Shantae-ers too (but select the AUS/NZ version in your case obviously).

• 9 months later...

Wow this thread literally hasn't been active for a year let me change that. 

First things first: Shantae is going to be a playable character in Runbow 

Ck3SbpSXAAEK-b2.jpg

Now she will be in a game with other Indie characters like Gunvolt, Shovel Knight and Juan from Guacamelee! Played the demo for this game and it's fun and you play up to 8 players and it's apparently online too that's really cool. I need to get around to playing it.

Next bit of news is that this game is getting a physical release 

And the best part is that it's coming out this September so you can preorder it at gamestop now 

CkIDJ_SUYAArmOz.jpg

and to cap things off here's a new trailer for the game 

• Thumbs Up 4

Trailer was pretty cool but it was really weird to watch because for some reason the game footage was playing at nearly 2x the speed.

Wish I picked the PS3 digital code so I would have an actual reason to buy the Wii U disc

Matt Simmons (Dr. Doom cosplayer and fanboy, and all around smartass) of YoVideogames fame attended E3 and made a list of his favorite games he's played. Listen to him gush about 1/2 Genie hero and throw MN9 under the bus.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 5 months later...

So if you backed the game in any way that guarantees you a free copy at launch, you can redeem the code you got for the demo on steam and get the early access backer build right now and play the full game. I am personally enjoying the hell out of it. Music is great, the art direction is great (even though I loved Pirate's Curse Megaman Zero's style)and overall it's just witty and fun.

If you already redeemed your demo with the code, as soon as you boot up steam it will start downloading the free game.