Awoo.

Pokemon Origins (October 2013)

Endy

I dunno, if Cubone's mom is any indication, they're not quite as animalistic as we are led to believe.

I honestly think the whole thing would have been better if they skipped Cubone's mom and had another gym in instead - maybe Sabrina to further hint towards the Mewtwo fight what with her being a Psychic leader and all. 

Though I'm probably weird for not having any "feels" so eh. It just didn't really do anything for me. Maybe because it took up way too much time.

Two complains I have about this:

1) the fact that they had to skip alot of things, I had expected at least Misty to get some Focus, being the other Major weakness to Chamander/Charmeleon and all. But considering it was just a 4 Episode OVA thing, it makes sense for it to be compressed like that, so it isnt too bad.

2) the Fact that Red didnt have a Pikachu in his main team, but thats only really personal preference and its nice that they mixed it up in that regard, considering about any other incarnation of Red/Ash has one anyway.

otherwise, this was the Hypest Adaptation of Pokemon since Adventures. I loved all the little details and nods to the games, the way the Pokemon were portrayed, the Music, Cubone going all Zero from Mega Man X on those Rockets and the Final Showdown with Mewtwo all up to Charizard going all Mega Charizard and kicking ass. Gen 2/3/4/5/6 Adapations(s) or I riot.

Edited by Wonder NinjaShark
  • Thumbs Up 1

Is it bad that perhaps the biggest plus to me is that the Pokemon make animal sounds rather than shouting their names? Even the random Pikachu makes mouse like noises.

Not at all.

Shoot I hate the "Name Shouting" more than anything. I so much MUCH prefer the more realistic animal sounds. Even Pikachu sounded adorable making those Mouse squeaks. This can give us a sign to what Pokemon would actually sound like in real life, as well as how brutal battles can be and how dangerous some attacks actually are. 

I Got the same vibes from the Black & White 2 Animated Trailer.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not at all.

Shoot I hate the "Name Shouting" more than anything. I so much MUCH prefer the more realistic animal sounds. Even Pikachu sounded adorable making those Mouse squeaks. This can give us a sign to what Pokemon would actually sound like in real life, as well as how brutal battles can be and how dangerous some attacks actually are. 

I Got the same vibes from the Black & White 2 Animated Trailer.

But Pokémon actually shout their names in "real life".

EQEloSv.png

4HlopFb.png

Either that or they say "Fushyoon!" and shit like that.

Yeah...... I just simply ignore that stuff and imagine them like in Origins and B2W2 Animated Trailer, that's how I've been going for awile now, ever since they messed up Scolipedes voice, unforgivable.

Actually, no, WAY before even that.

Edited by Dantemustdie00
  • Thumbs Up 1

Man the championship battle and Mewtwo fight are really rushed

But Pokémon actually shout their names in "real life".

EQEloSv.png

4HlopFb.png

Either that or they say "Fushyoon!" and shit like that.

No, that's just specifically those two, and only those two.

In "real life" they also say (I opened up a FireRed ROM in AdvanceMap and XSE and literally looked at the NPC scripts and copy + pasted them here):

Spearow: Tetweet! (implying that Spearow chirps just like a bird)

Nidoran: Bowow!

Jigglypuff: Puu pupuu!

Pidgey: Kurukkoo!

Nidorino: Gaoo!

Psyduck: Gwappa!

Poliwrath: Ribi ribit! (implying that Poliwrath croaks just like a frog)

Seel: Kyuoo!

Articuno: Gyaoo!

Zapdos: Gyaoo!

Moltres: Gyaoo!

Considering how these gibberish noises are also in the original Japanese Red & Green games, it really shows that Game Freak never intended for Pokemon to say their names in the first place. Pokemon is short for Pocket Monsters. I like how the B2/W2 animated trailer and Pokemon Origins portray the Pokemon as the Pocket Monsters that they're supposed to be - complete with animal/monster-like noises.

From memory/Youtube searches:

Every Gen 4 legendary: "Dodogyuuuun!"

Groudon (HG/SS): "Grrgggrrrrah!"

Rayquaza (HG/SS): "Kiyuryursheesh!"

And let's not forget the random Krokorok in BW2 (?) that goes, and I kid you not, GIBBALUGA!

Like, what kinda sound is that even supposed to be? o_o;

That was great, even though it had extremely rushed pacing it was still a lot more fun than the original anime ever was, primarily because it enabled me to give a legitimate damn about the characters, and it was pretty accurate in showing just how dangerous of a sport Pokemon battling could be. Wish we got more of it, here's hoping they'll eventually do an adaptation of Gold and Silver in the future.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just watched it all finally.

I'm really glad I held this off until just a few days before Pokemon X and Y's release, because it did one hell of a fantastic job of pumping me up to get that game, as if I wasn't already, holy shit. I was throughly impressed by how faithful it was to the game for the most part, even the little fun "saving" sections were awesome. The only fault it had was pacing, which was to be expected with only 4 episodes and so many memorable moments in Gen 1, but with what it was served I felt it did a good job of capturing what was important.

I felt like each episode got better from the last. The first episode was extremely refreshing, seeing our familiar animated Pokemon world in a new light, void of the stale decade plus year old characters from the original anime I've grown so sick of. The introduction of how this universe of Pokemon operate was really exciting to experience, and especially the battling. If there's anything I thought was the best in this anime, it was this. They were extremely to the point while not over simplifying it. These things hit fucking /hard/, and maybe it's just because we're not used to it, but it really felt like those "oh oooo, god, is it ok?" feelings like when you watching a real life boxing/UFC match.

Second episode caught my feels however, seeing as Cubone is one of my favorites from this generation of Pokemon. I was surprised the rapid recap would halt to this moment in the story, but after viewing it I'm glad it did. It introduces the horror that Team Rocket can be, explains the Silph Co. company without boring you to death, and gives Red another really strong motive to become a better trainer and sort of a hero to anyone he passes. Geez though, that seen with it's mother made me teary eyes like crazy, D:.

Episode 3 I guess. I'm glad Giovanni wasn't glazed over. I know he was going to be a part of it, but I'm glad he was a major part of it. I think his character development summarized quickly was done nicely, and in the end became a somewhat respectable person you liked a bit. I loved how intimidating he was portrayed before the end of the gym battle, and liked how it resolved with him being inspired by his youth and roots thanks to Red.

Lastly, the E4 with Green was intense. I loved the snippets of the E4 battles, especially with that jitter Scyther haha. The champion battle was great, showing off the rivalry between the two without dragging it out, but of course the big part of this episode was the ending with Mewtwo. The build up to it was suspenseful, and when Red finally starting fighting it, I was surprised at how animalistic Mewtwo was in this show, /and I liked it a lot/. It felt like a scary ass thing that could kill you instantly. The fact that a mega formed Pokemon was the only way to even be on par with the monster sent chills really. When it started to panic toward the end before it's capture, it felt weird to watch, but in a good way. I guess what I'm saying is I think they nailed how this Pokemon should come off perfectly in my opinion. Glad they had the mega evolution too btw, made it less 100% predictable lawl.

So yeah, fucking awesome and while I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't, I'd really love another with GSC, complete with a battle against Red at the end. It'd just be a shame for this kinda thing to die, since it's MILES above the original anime show, even at a ridiculous pacing, and that's really saying something. A new show here that can get me so pumped and amazed at Pokemon in 4 measly rushed episodes compared to an anime series 700 episodes and running with more than a dozen movies under it's belt.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 1 month later...

The first dubbed episode is now up on Pokémon TV!

Watching it myself and it's really good so far! None of the voices seem to be carried over from the regular anime, which is a refreshing change (ESPECIALLY for Oak), and Red's actually voiced by a dude! (Can this PLEASE be his voice in the next Smash?)

Edit: Holy crap, Brock sounds like Johnny Yong Bosch. 0_0

Edited by CC14 the Fifth Turtle

The first dubbed episode is now up on Pokémon TV!

Watching it myself and it's really good so far! None of the voices seem to be carried over from the regular anime, which is a refreshing change (ESPECIALLY for Oak), and Red's actually voiced by a dude! (Can this PLEASE be his voice in the next Smash?)

Edit: Holy crap, Brock sounds like Johnny Yong Bosch. 0_0

I thought the exact same thing, and well, that's because he is. I didn't know Ichigo Kurosaki was a Gym Leader. lol

As amusing as Ichigo vs Kirito (Red) was though, I can't help but think his voice was unfitting for Brock. I was expecting something much deeper. :/

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok wow! Just finished watching the first dubbed episode and I'm really impressed with the English cast. I really enjoyed this special when I saw it in Japanese. I was worried we'd get the crappy dub from the main anime (sorry I just can't stand it). However I swear they got Viz Media to dub this. I recognise some of the actors here. Roger Craig Smith, Johnny Yong Bosch, Wendee Lee and some others I forget the names of. Nothing was edited out which is great however we will see with episode 2 since that once is themed around death. All I notice is that Charmander was re-dubbed as his scream doesn't sound like it's in much pain compared to the Japanese version. I hope they don't redo Mewtwo's cries since they sound pretty badass.

So far i'm very impressed. Easily the best dub of anything Pokémon anime related and it's only 1 episode in. I can actually tolerate it and the acting is really good.

Edited by BlueTidalGamer

Hearing JYB as Brock is both surreal and awesome. It's actually rather intriguing to hear voice actors of his prestige (at least in comparison to voice actors normally involved with Pokemon), I'm curious to see how Giovanni sounds.

Wow, I'm surprised to see TPCI went for the LA voice actors, rather than their in-house NY voice actors.

This was definitely a fantastic dub. Looking forward to the remaining episodes.

Kyle Hebert as Professor Oak was amazing.

Edited by canderson

Well well, they edited the Charmander screaming part.

Heh, with all of the Internet complaining about that one scene, kinda cool that the Dubbers were paying attention to that.

Well well, they edited the Charmander screaming part.

Heh, with all of the Internet complaining about that one scene, kinda cool that the Dubbers were paying attention to that.

The US is alittle more sensitive to these things as well. I'm sure that parents are around or near their kids when watching this on the net ( In the dubbers eyes) so if they kept charmander's screaming I would imagine complaints for animal cruelty especially if PETA was made aware. 

The US is alittle more sensitive to these things as well. I'm sure that parents are around or near their kids when watching this on the net ( In the dubbers eyes) so if they kept charmander's screaming I would imagine complaints for animal cruelty especially if PETA was made aware. 

PETA ALWAYS give Pokemon hassle, but they would've definitely used the screaming to their advantage.

Holy shit! The dub was very really good! The voice acting was just perfect! Shame they editing Charmander's screaming though. I'm really looking forward to seeing the rest of the dubbed episodes! If TPCI can get voice actors this good for origins, then they should really try and do the same for the regular anime.

Dub surprised me with how nicely it was handled. Some of the voices felt like they were lacking, especially compared to the Japanese ones (Brock was kinda weird, Blue felt like he wasn't putting his all into what he was saying, if you get me). Only thing left I could say is that it's sad to see they were a little lazy and left everything in Japanese. I'd get it if it was a quick stat screen, like the part where Red chooses his starters, but when you have a scene where PokeDex entries are all over your screen, you begin to notice...

Dub surprised me with how nicely it was handled. Some of the voices felt like they were lacking, especially compared to the Japanese ones (Brock was kinda weird, Blue felt like he wasn't putting his all into what he was saying, if you get me). Only thing left I could say is that it's sad to see they were a little lazy and left everything in Japanese. I'd get it if it was a quick stat screen, like the part where Red chooses his starters, but when you have a scene where PokeDex entries are all over your screen, you begin to notice...

That's not Japanese writing that you see. It's literally a bunch of gibberish scribbles, which they probably did so they wouldn't have to redraw it for every language. I can confirm this because I can read and speak Japanese, and I'm 100% sure that other people can confirm this as well.

Edited by Chaos Rush
  • Thumbs Up 2

You don't have to be able to read Japanese to recognise that it was just a random squiggles and doo-dahs.

I watched the first episode of the dub and was thoroughly disappointed, if I'm honest with you. It didn't really feel any better to me than the standard anime, aside from the fact it lacked those characters. The only thing going for it really was that it was closer to the games, but that doesn't count for an awful lot when the outcome was still so corny. The only parts I enjoyed were the bits where there direct game references. May or may not watch the rest of it, depending on how episode 2 goes...

You don't have to be able to read Japanese to recognise that it was just a random squiggles and doo-dahs.

I assumed it as such since it IS anime, so I wasn't entirely focuses on reading it and assumed it to be Japanese. Apologies.

That's not Japanese writing that you see. It's literally a bunch of gibberish scribbles, which they probably did so they wouldn't have to redraw it for every language. I can confirm this because I can read and speak Japanese, and I'm 100% sure that other people can confirm this as well.

Thanks for letting me know. ^^