Awoo.

PC builds on a budget, Builds in OP. "Autosaver's Deals Thread 2.0"

Solkia

I won't be interested in 4k until we have 144Hz versions. Right now what I'm interested in is the Acer Predator 

I won't be interested in 4k until we have 144Hz versions. Right now what I'm interested in is the Acer Predator 

I honestly don't see the point, at least for gaming. People can barely get 30fps running in 4k, yet you want 4x that? That's going to be a long wait.

• Thumbs Up 1

The only thing that turns me away from 144hz is the fact that a lot of games straight up don't work with it due to the "industry standard" 60FPS cap (Sonic Generations, Mortal Kombat X, nearly every game in my Steam library that isn't an FPS).

That's why I've been keeping an eye on the new 4k GSYNC ROG monitor thats coming down the pipeline sometime this year. Low input lag is very, very important to me, as is image quality, but I don't want to pay good money for a high refresh rate if none of my games are going to allow me to properly utilize said refresh rate.

Right now what I'm interested in is the Acer Predator

Seems to have a lot of issues, particularly with IPS glow, lightbleed, and quality assurance. My VP2770 PLS monitor is essentially glow free.

The only thing that turns me away from 144hz is the fact that a lot of games straight up don't work with it due to the "industry standard" 60FPS cap (Sonic Generations, Mortal Kombat X, nearly every game in my Steam library that isn't an FPS).

That's why I've been keeping an eye on the new 4k GSYNC ROG monitor thats coming down the pipeline sometime this year. Low input lag is very, very important to me, as is image quality, but I don't want to pay good money for a high refresh rate if none of my games are going to allow me to properly utilize said refresh rate.

Seems to have a lot of issues, particularly with IPS glow, lightbleed, and quality assurance. My VP2770 PLS monitor is essentially glow free.

This is Acer. Poor QA is a given.

Unless ASUS or someone better come out with their own monitor then it's what I'm going with. I've used TN garbage for nearly a decade and I'm tired of the viewing angles.

Also the 60FPS cap really only applies if you're using V-sync/G-Sync/Freesync. And if the game is running at 30FPS it's going to perform like shit no matter what you do (fuck you Rockstar)

This is Acer. Poor QA is a given.

Unless ASUS or someone better come out with their own monitor then it's what I'm going with. I've used TN garbage for nearly a decade and I'm tired of the viewing angles.

Also the 60FPS cap really only applies if you're using V-sync/G-Sync/Freesync. And if the game is running at 30FPS it's going to perform like shit no matter what you do (fuck you Rockstar)

ASUS has a Freesync variant of what many believe is the same panel used in the current Acer 1440p/120hz, and word has it that it's launching this June. Said to be considerably cheaper than the Acer as well, at around $649 MSRP. As for the FPS cap, I've tried running Generations above 60FPS on an overclocked (to 120hz) QNIX, but no dice; The Steam forums for the game suggest that its simply incapable of going above 60.

Though, if we're speaking about QA alone, I'd be cautious of this incoming panel, too; The ROG Swift was plagued by tons of problems at launch: yellow tinting everywhere, dead pixels, hair and dirt beneath the screen, overheating, GSync driver issues, etcetcetc.

So this seems like a good place to ask about this. I'm looking for a new graphics card for my Computer. I'm planning on getting it around July 4th, any suggestions? I'm looking for something below 500 dollars (Or cheaper), since I'm looking for something that's at least better than the Geforce GTX 580.

GTX 970, despite all the drama over it's 3.5gb as opposed to 4gb memory is a pretty damn good card. stuck one in a gaming PC and it seems to demolish anything I throw at it in 1080p, can even downsample some stuff with ease. Energy efficient too. I was really impressed with it. 

Apparently the current AMD offerings are a bit poo, but they're due for a refresh so it might be worth waiting if you're not desperate to upgrade right this second.

If you feel like going slightly above 500 you could always grab a 980, too :>

• Thumbs Up 1

Rumors are the 300 series cards are another rebadge of the 7000 series, just with improved RAM and bios

Personally I'd go with an Nvidia GPU anyways. 

So this seems like a good place to ask about this. I'm looking for a new graphics card for my Computer. I'm planning on getting it around July 4th, any suggestions? I'm looking for something below 500 dollars (Or cheaper), since I'm looking for something that's at least better than the Geforce GTX 580.

It this a retail pc or did you build it yourself? Your power supply may not have the needed connectors if you got it from Best Buy or something.

It this a retail pc or did you build it yourself? Your power supply may not have the needed connectors if you got it from Best Buy or something.

Built PC, none of the parts were from Best Buy.

Yeah, 970 is a good card then.

The RAMgate bullshit was really overblown, no one noticed till they went actively looking for it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh yeah apparently there's some new type of RAM in the next generation of AMD cards that has like... 8x more bandwidth than what we use currently. Sounds interesting. They will also support Direct X12.

Dunno, Samsung does something kind of similar with their "3D" Samsung Evo 850 for SSD storage.

Well that's storage. Flash speeds are kind of the only reason you even buy SSDs.

Technically Ram is storage too. Ramdisk?

groaaaaaaan

Ramdisk is the epitome of a stupid enthusiast niche. 

Just so people know what we're talking about: the type of Flash RAM uses is a kind that loses all data once the computer powers down, but is extremely fast. RAMdisk makes it so you can store files on unused RAM in your system for ungodly fast read/write and maintain it.

Personally I'm thinking about getting one of those 1 TB Samsung Evo SSD drives for my Steam library

• 3 weeks later...

18 core

Titan X

Budget build right here.

Almost $7000 dollars nbd

(btw if you ever use an E5 Xeon for a gaming rig you're a moron, the person in the video is sponsored and got two of those free from Intel for a workstation)