Awoo.

PC builds on a budget, Builds in OP. "Autosaver's Deals Thread 2.0"

Solkia

IPS is usually more expensive because it produces better colors with its high quality panel.

120HZ is cool though.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, not sure if this is the right thread or not, seems to be the only place it's fits.

My brother is looking to sell his Dual Core 2008 MacBook Pro. I was after a new laptop for college work and such, so it does everything it NEEDS to do. However I was wondering if it would be able to provide a little extra and be able to play TF2 and Minecraft? Both of which lag my current 2nd hand cheaply laptop.

http://support.apple.com/kb/sp499

EDIT: tells me he had upped it to 4gb ram and 256gb ssd

Minecraft I can't tell you, but TF2 will run on a toaster. It depends what integrated graphics he has on it.

I ran TF2 on HD2000 for about 2 years and it worked fine, not ideal, but fine.

They recommend at least HD3000 for it. It'll probably run fine.

We'll my current laptop must be really shity then, it seriously lags with TF2.

The website says

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics processor; and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory3

A 9600 will play 2Fort fine. My old laptop only had a 7900 and it still ran it topped out at 1600x1050, and 1920x1200 with only a couple things turned down.

• 3 weeks later...

It's the same hardware. It is the 7870.

Honestly I don't know what the fuck is wrong with AMD lately. First they put out the stupid FX9000 series vomit and then they rebrand the HD 7000 series under the name R9

It's the same hardware. It is the 7870.

Yeah, the R7/R9 series cards are mostly re-badged Radeon HD 7xxx series cards.

This one however has a slightly higher clock and apparently needs only one power cable instead of two. It's based on the 7870 and if you have one already, you don't need this as you're pretty much buying the same thing.

Great, now I need to upgrade my boot drive. Big mistake getting a 64GB SSD to hold the Windows files (updates up the ass)...oh well, my new SSD which is 128GB big should come tomorrow, and it comes with a transfer kit too.

Great, now I need to upgrade my boot drive. Big mistake getting a 64GB SSD to hold the Windows files (updates up the ass)...oh well, my new SSD which is 128GB big should come tomorrow, and it comes with a transfer kit too.

Even with WIndows Updates, Windows itself should not take up more than 15GB. Do you mean other files?

Which brand did you buy for your 128GB?

Even with WIndows Updates, Windows itself should not take up more than 15GB. Do you mean other files?

Which brand did you buy for your 128GB?

Crucial.

I decided to get that because it was on the compatible drives list for my Motherboard (Asus P8Z77-V). Last time I bought a SSHD, and that was not listed, therefore it didn't work. I didn't want to risk it for my SSD as well so I just picked a drive from the list.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/P8Z77-V/P8Z77-V_Device.pdf

I have no idea where all the space has gone considering that I install ALL programs on my 500GB HDD.

I was talking with my cousin on this and we both agree that SSDs aren't worth the trouble. Ludicrous amounts of money for mediocre capacities with a obnoxiously polarized reliability rate

If this one fails then just get a shitty little HDD for the boot drive.

I was talking with my cousin on this and we both agree that SSDs aren't worth the trouble. Ludicrous amounts of money for mediocre capacities with a obnoxiously polarized reliability rate

If this one fails then just get a shitty little HDD for the boot drive.

Yeah. I'll do that. I think I can wait an extra 30 or so seconds.

Are there easy ways to know when your SSD is failing?

1) Price is high, yes. They're coming down though and the use of SSDs aren't the same as HDDs.

1926646_881186775226038_648723967_n.jpg

ahh yeah samsung and crucial double combo!!!! (ones not for me)

2) Their failure rate is incredibly low. The only SSDs that had a bad problem with this were the 2nd Gen Sandforce (iirc) which are really old drives. Anything made by Samsung, Crucial, Sandisk, or Intel now will have high reliability. It actually has a less chance of data corruption due to the lack of moving parts and all information being stored on the flash memory. They also come with warranties that last up to 3 years which should provide a defense from spending lots of money on repairs.

Your PC is bottlenecked by the lowest performing part of your PC which is often your HDD. Long boot times, programs taking time to load, LOOOOOOONG loading times in video games, etc. Having a SSD allows a snappier and overall more responsive PC. An SSD added to a build will probably be the most noticeable difference compared to other upgrades for day-to-day PC usage.

Laptop users will also find that they have longer battery times due to the lack of powering an HDD. The laptop will also be cooler than an HDD. Oh! The noise too. No more CLANK CLANK noises.

If you're low on money, yeah I guess you can skimp out on it. Have some extra money? Get a SSD or SSHD. It's worth it. Samsung 840 Evo Master race here <3

Crucial.

I have no idea where all the space has gone considering that I install ALL programs on my 500GB HDD.

Since almost everything is installed on your HDD, why don't you reinstall Windows on your SSD? What operating system are you using anyways?

HD tune should tell you if your SSD is about to fuck up, all though I've only used it for HDDs, so I don''t know if it works with SSDs

Since almost everything is installed on your HDD, why don't you reinstall Windows on your SSD? What operating system are you using anyways?

I use Windows 7 64-Bit, and I did save Windows on the SSD only, despite that, all my space has vanished for some reason.

I guess some programs need to save specific files onto another drive they are not installed on.

I use Windows 7 64-Bit, and I did save Windows on the SSD only, despite that, all my space has vanished for some reason.   I guess some programs need to save specific files onto another drive they are not installed on.
Well, I also have the same two drive set up. I haven't run into this problem. Have you tried a factory default/reset + Windows reinstall?   Windows 8 is optimized for SSDs, Windows 7 might not be. I'm not sure if that could be a factor in the instability.

• 1 month later...

Alright tech nerds, I need help on something:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834257833

I'm looking into getting this laptop since my current one went wrong in every way imaginable from burnt threads to a dying fan to a bad NIC to a cracked shell.

I was looking specifically for an A10 laptop, and looking up benchmarks, both the CPU and iGPU are stronger than the i5-3317U in my Acer Aspire

But it also claims the max temps on both are 105c, which I think is bullshit because my CPU burnt 2 threads because I was dumb enough to let it reach 80c.

IT's also got more RAM and HDD space.

Should I go for it?

• 3 weeks later...

Radeon 7850 $100 after rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?SID=38e65bebc54948cfa5b6472aa4fdc8a6&AID=10440897&PID=1225267&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16814131562&cm_sp=

Pretty good card for a decent price. This card is very close to the one used in the PS4 and Xbox One.

Don't buy Newegg refurbished.. especially laptops. It's not worth it to lay down almost $500 and then have it dying 5 months later with no warranty. 90 days warranty is WAAAAY too risky.

1) Refurbished Newegg = Bad

2) HP = bad

3) AMD processor = not that much better than i3

4) AMD Processor = poor battery life = bad

I would honestly get a Haswell processor as it'll have way longer battery life and better performance.

About your old laptop though, can't it get replaced by manufacturer warranty? I don't think it getting hot was your fault, it should be the manufacturer's fault.

What would be the GTX equivalent? 760?

760 is better.

Lol it getting hot was definitely my fault. I tried running Sonic Generations on Intel HD 4000 and paid the price of 2 threads.

Honestly I don't even know where that warranty would be, and it's not worth it because this thing is a piece of shit.

I'm not interested anymore in that laptop I linked, I have my eye on a different one.

I'd rather just get new parts for my desktop since it'd be cheaper, but my father doesn't know how to compooter, so he says he'll only invest in a laptop for some reason.

Lol it getting hot was definitely my fault. I tried running Sonic Generations on Intel HD 4000 and paid the price of 2 threads.

So you tried using HD graphics and it died. I know it's your "fault" for playing the game, but it's not your fault that the processor couldn't handle it.

The warranty would be on the back, the serial number. It's most likely a one year warranty so you should be good if you didn't buy it too long ago.

I bought it last year, but not sure which month I bought it.

I'll check it out tomorrow and see if I'm still within warranty.