Awoo.

PC builds on a budget, Builds in OP. "Autosaver's Deals Thread 2.0"

Solkia

-More cores =/= better gaming performace... Yet. Most current gen games only use 1 core for Gaming. Don't expect multicore gaming to become mainstream for a few years at least. You can go with a cheapass Celeron processor and you'll be safe for a while.

People... please don't get a Celeron for gaming... or anything for that matter...

Newegg seems to disagree.

Unless you're doing tons of multitasking, one core is really all you need.

Unless you have a bad experience you'd like to share.

Newegg seems to disagree.

Unless you're doing tons of multitasking, one core is really all you need.

Unless you have a bad experience you'd like to share.

I haven't had a bad experience, its just who the fuck would use a Celeron when they can get a i5, or even an AMD CPU for $149-$250. I know its low budget pc gaming but if I'm going to build something that low budget just buy a console.

Most PC games rely only on one core, and are more GPU heavy than CPU heavy, with a few exceptions.

The money you could spend on a bloated i5 or i7 can be saved for a better GPU. If you aren't happy with the Celeron/Pentium's performance, you can upgrade to the lord and savior i5-4670k/i5-3570k at any time since they use the same socket. Just make sure you have a board with the Z77/Z87 chipset.

That said, Intel HD 4600 is pretty good for low-settings gaming from what I hear. You could also skip the dual-core and wait on the GPU till later.

It's only a $50-$60 cpu, if aren't satisfied with it then just upgrade later and sell it on ebay.

Most PC games rely only on one core, and are more GPU heavy than CPU heavy, with a few exceptions.

The money you could spend on a bloated i5 or i7 can be saved for a better GPU. If you aren't happy with the Celeron/Pentium's performance, you can upgrade to the lord and savior i5-4670k/i5-3570k at any time since they use the same socket. Just make sure you have a board with the Z77/Z87 chipset.

That said, Intel HD 4600 is pretty good for low-settings gaming from what I hear. You could also skip the dual-core and wait on the GPU till later.

It's only a $50-$60 cpu, if aren't satisfied with it then just upgrade later and sell it on ebay.

And what happens when that cpu bottlenecks your gpu? Why would I want to bother upgrading from that low end cpu when I might as well just buy it fromt he start when I know I'll be doing midrange to high end gaming day one.

So let me ask you this, would you use a Celeron in your machine, to run games like Metro 2033, Metro Last Night, Far Cry 3? At minimum specs they require at least a dual core processor. I've read you can use a Celeron for light gaming but when it comes to the more demanding games, at least a good dual core.

In the end, if you know what you want out of your machine, and you don't have the money, don't settle for less, save up and get exactly what you need. That's all I'm saying.

Edited by Noel

YOu know what, you're right, without a quad core CPU you'll have to settle for this fucking browser instead of Chrome, I am so fucking fed up with this shitty ass browser and can't wait to be rid of it asdfgadfsasgdsf

Gomen for that, to answer your question, Metro destroys any budget CPU you through at it from what I've seen about it. I wouldn't recomend that game for any of the builds listed here in the first place.

Never played any FarCry games or looked up any benchmarks of them on budget cpus.

This thread wasn't made with the intent of playing every game on the market. But I'll remove that sentence anyways if it's really that big of a deal.

YOu know what, you're right, without a quad core CPU you'll have to settle for this fucking browser instead of Chrome, I am so fucking fed up with this shitty ass browser and can't wait to be rid of it asdfgadfsasgdsf

Gomen for that, to answer your question, Metro destroys any budget CPU you through at it from what I've seen about it. I wouldn't recomend that game for any of the builds listed here in the first place.

Never played any FarCry games or looked up any benchmarks of them on budget cpus.

This thread wasn't made with the intent of playing every game on the market. But I'll remove that sentence anyways if it's really that big of a deal.

I mean you can leave it there just make note that its not going to be good at all when it comes to more demanding games. Like I said, know what you want out of your machine before you invest in parts.

People... please don't get a Celeron for gaming... or anything for that matter...

Well, I wouldn't go as far as to say that. I've been using a Chromebook with a Sandy Bridge Celeron processor for a while now and, while it's obviously no good for heavy gaming, I say it's perfectly adequate for web browsing and moderate work.

Still, I wonder if the Haswell refresh will improve the Celeron processors to any significant degree.

As in creation or listening?

Listening, all you'd need to do is invest in a PCI-e sound card since on-board sound isn't what audiophiles are probably looking for.

Optical audio is also a good choice, though I don't relly know how to set Optical audio up.

Edited by Solkia

I've got everything apart from RAM, the OS and a Motherboard Speaker (for external building diagnostics) to build my rendering PC, and first PC in general. I'm pretty excited!

As in creation or listening?

Listening, all you'd need to do is invest in a PCI-e sound card since on-board sound isn't what audiophiles are probably looking for.

Optical audio is also a good choice, though I don't relly know how to set Optical audio up.

Depends, I've done both Optical (Toslink) and HDMI audio out to my 5.1 surround sound system. I would go with a PCI based audio card though as they seem to have better processing ranges/abilities. With that in mind, you don't need an ultra fancy audio card for music creation, applications are available to assist in processing the audio in a way to make it sound good on onboard chipsets. On my show setup, as an example, the audio goes through the onboard chip but is processed through a app called Jamin to attempt to make it sound good, that said I am no audio engineer.

I would figure at the end of the day you'll want a high quality sound system or headphones so you can better hear the output and adjust around it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yup, most of my current equipment is high quality. None of that Beats crap. All mid-high end stuff. Just want to get the most out of Ableton etc, and good use out of the hardware I have.

I was thinking -

Intel Core i7 3930K OC

Corsair H80i CPU cooler

Asus Sabertooth X79 Motherboard

2X Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM kits:

3X 128GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD's

Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce Graphics Card

Fractal Newton 1000W PSU

​or some variant of those above.

I'd like to find a good soundcard too. Struggling to find one that compliments my set up etc.

You can probably get away with a i5 for audio production, its certainly not as resource hungry as video production, same with the video card, then again if you want to do gaming on it as well, why the hell not. Your PSU is a bit beefy, my desktop is running a Core i7 930 @ 3.2GHz, 16 GB RAM, GTX 680, and a 740 watt power supply. I do some high end gaming and I have not hit power issues yet. Bonus points in that the HDMI on my GTX680 also pushes audio. If you want a good soundcard and money is no issue just go to Newegg or Amazon and search by rating, also research the cards on google, what with reviews sometimes being bought.

Just to give you an idea, this is my Laptop while doing my podcast, this is while the laptop is encoding and sending to four seperate streams and recording to flac while playing MP3s, note the CPU load, the laptop is a i5.

rsnlive101013.png

Edited by voice

1000w is way too much. PSU's that high are made with SLI and all that pointless crap in mind.

700-750w would do.

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody tried the silicone/clear acrylic nailpolish fix for GPU coil whine? I have one that makes horrible noise whenever I fire up Starcraft 2.

• 2 weeks later...

Heeey, got a question for you guys that are generally good at knowing these things.

Off the bat, my current early '08 iMac is really starting to show it's age. These things you can't really upgrade parts aside from RAM unless you get it done specially or something, which isn't something I want to do. Playing games on it is starting to get to the point where lowest settings don't even work past a Power-Point slideshow effect, XD.

So with that I've been really thinking about getting a new computer here soonish (like anywhere from next few weeks 'til whenever income taxes come in). My budget is kinda on the cloudy side, but definitely not dropping multiple grand on a new machine. I'm looking for something that'd be pretty awesome with games, at least being able to be stable with standard setting graphics of games for the next few years. The only other thing is something that'd be great for audio work, which I'm guessing would need a higher processor? IDK these things LOL.

The big part is, after a lot of thinking, I still want a Mac I think. I heard you can build your own macs, but it sounds fishy, or at least it's not something I hear/see commonly compared to just regular PC custom builds. On the Apple store there's a few options to choose from, like the cheap Mac Mini, getting another current dated iMac, or the behemoth trash can-esque Mac Pro coming next month. Thing is, I look at the specs and they're sorta half jibberish to me, and not sure what graphic cards, processors, and other things are suitable to today's gaming.

So with all that on the table (if I missed crucial info, lemme know haha), does anyone here know how to help a guy out with this? Much appreciated. Very awesome. Wow.

EDIT: I guess to add to maybe avoid inevitable "PC is for gaming, get that dummy." thing. While I considered the option of switching over, I think I like the Mac interface too much, and losing a lot of my files that wouldn't be compatible to it (like countless music projects) unless I left this old machine plugged in and running, it'd just not worth it. Sorta banking that the Mac scene will continue to get more gaming shizz as it's slowly still doing haha.

Hahaha, you're thinking of a Hackintosh.

Basically it's where you take a copy of MacOSX that's been hacked to run on Windows based hardware, just google hackintosh. As for gaming you could always do a dual bootdrive with both Windows and both HackOSX

as for the Hardware, what's your price range?

Edited by Goomy

I'm not exactly 100% yet, but probably wouldn't want to spend over 2 grand, and even getting close to that number feels stomach turning right now haha. Naturally I guess the cheaper I can get with still pretty good stuff would be the best. I don't need ultra high end, just something that'll be efficient enough to last a long while.

LOL I think I can work with 2 grand, my PC was around 600 excluding HDDs :U

give me a sec.

I'll just link each part

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146076

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131877

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139049

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113286

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202011

The FX6300 processor has Six cores, which will help for Audio editing. If stock Audio isn't good enough you can buy a pci sound card

Edited by Goomy
  • Thumbs Up 1

So what, I'd just put it all together and then look up how to install MacOSX on it and voila I got myself a 650 buck Hackintosh that'll last me a good while, more or less? 'Cause if so, god damn you're awesome, thank you so much dude haha. 650 bucks (totaled to like 630 but assuming after shipping and what not probably more like 650-700), that even leaves room to play around with too haha.

I might snoop around for more like-products for more options (or if others have suggestions too), but this is definitely a cool start if not probably what I'll end up grabbing. Whenever I do grab the parts I might be back bugging everyone how to do this exactly, since outside some 7th grade class one time, I never really put a computer together before XD.

Yeah, you might want to invest in warranties and look at different motherboards though, as the return policy on that one is kind of dickish.

This is assuming you have an HD monitor, Keyboard, and mouse though.

And the stock cooler might be kind of crappy. I'm running a Gemin II S524 right now

Edited by Goomy

Got the keyboard and mouse, but this is my only monitor, my iMac screen thing. However I noticed the SAPPHIRE thing has an HDMI port, so if I just got an HDMI cable, I could just use my TV as a monitor yeah?

On the software sides of things, what would I need exactly by the way to get it up and running? Or is quite simply just a hacked copy of OSX that you shove in it and it's magically all ready to go after it's done installing? Will it work smoothly with other software I get in the future or will I actively have to be on top of getting hacked things and whatnot?

Indeed the TV can be used as a monitor.

I'm not sure on the specifics of a Hackintosh installation, there are probably YouTube videos explaining it.

Also, make sure to watch those building guides I linked first, a lot of them are important

• Thumbs Up 1

I bought my first Solid State Drive for $45.

It was a 100GB SSD on Newegg. It had a 6 month warranty from the manufacture + Newegg guarantee. Can't wait to get it in the mail next week.