Awoo.

PC builds on a budget, Builds in OP. "Autosaver's Deals Thread 2.0"

Solkia

So, Linus from NCIX/LinusTechTips/TechQuickie made a video on PSU rails today.

And he spends a lot of it making fun of Austin Evans for his house burning down.

I love Linus so much, if you like PC shit you should follow his channels

Posted this on GAF, but nobody seems to be answering. :P

If I can ask for help just one more time before putting things together - 

I've ordered and recieved my GTX 760. Unfortunately I had to wait a bit for the PSU, which is currently on its way in the mail. In the meantime though, I had a few questions about what to do from there. 

My motherboard is an ASROCK N68-VS3 FX, and the CPU I'm planning on getting is the AMD FX-6300. The questions I wanted to ask are:

- Are the AMD FX-6300 and the GTX 760 a good match? Or will the CPU still bottleneck the GPU?

- Is the mobo compatible with the CPU and GPU? Or do I need to buy a new one? This is definitely the most important question. A few days ago neurosisxeno was really nice and helped me pick some parts, but I later found out that the i3 he recommended was unfortunately not compatible with my mobo. I'd hate to have that happen with the 6300. GPU I'm not as worried about because I think it is compatible, but just to make sure. 

At the very least a yes/no on either of these would ease my mind a lot. Thanks in advance and as always I'm super appreciative of any advice. I'm eager to learn this stuff.

The FX-6300 was Solkia's suggestion, but I was looking at the compatibility list on ASROCK's site and couldn't find the exact same model. Figured I'd ask here just to make sure.

can you post the model number again?

The processor that came with your build was an FX4100, which is from the same family as the FX6300, and when I looked for a list of compatibillity it said it was able to.

Bottlenecking a 760 is basically impossible as long as you have a decent cpu, and not say a cheapshit one like the CPU portion of AMDs garbage APUs or some Samsung shit.

Also your MOBO ran a card that was only 1 generation behind a 760, it'll run on it fine.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1414372/fx-6300-msi-gtx-760-twin-frozr-any-bottleneck

According to this thread, your CPU will only be a bottleneck in games that focus on CPU instead of GPU. Why don't you get an 8350 though? It's gone on sale quite a few times in the past week for as low as $135. Also, you're getting a very high end GPU so why not get a better CPU to prevent any time of bottlenecking from high CPU resource games? It's not that much money more and you're already spending a lot. Btw, how much did you pay for your 760? You can get a 760 Twin Frozr for $230.

I don't think motherboards are compatible with both AMD and Intel processors. It's usually one or the other. After that, they are divided up further between newer and older chipsets.

I was going to recommend the 8350, but his motherboard only supports up to 6300. It runs on an extremely old chipset.

And yeah, I don't know what the fuck that guy was thinking recommending an i3 to someone with an AM3+ and not an LGA1156/1155/1150. Even if the socket was compatible, the chipset wouldn't be.

Is his motherboard old or something? Also why ASSrock? Gross. Get a good brand.

PC part elitism isn't cool, yo. I use ASRock for my motherboard and it works great, it has the features I wanted/needed, and it was pretty good in terms of budget too.

lol. It's not "elitism". I built my computer around Christmas and I had a ton of warnings to stay away from Asrock and toward higher quality brands such as MSI, ASUS, and Gigabyte. The motherboard is arguably the most important part of a PC and you will want to have durability for it.

According to internet searches, they have bad chipset supports AND bad customer support.

• Thumbs Up 1

I dunno, mine seems to have not given me any issues. I guess in the future, I could stay away from them, assuming I got lucky. But still, to call them "assrock" seemed like you were bashing the company as a whole, and you even said "get a good brand"- how is that not elitist? Many companies these days have shitty customer support, so its just kind of the norm. I'm pretty knowledgeable about computers, so I'll resolve my issues myself most of the time. If not, I have friends more knowledgeable than me.

Besides, at least the board I got had good reviews and was cheap to boot. This is the one I got specifically.

But still, to call them "assrock" seemed like you were bashing the company as a whole, and you even said "get a good brand"- how is that not elitist?

Like I said, I did my research when I was building a PC. Brands to avoid, brands to get, good combos, etc. An easy way I was taught to remember one off the bat was the term "assrock." It has nothing to do with elitist, it has everything to do with quality. I'm still unclear on how pointing out how one brand is worse than the other is elitist. If I said Aliens vs Predator sucks and you should get a good game like Skyrim, would that make me elitist? No, it wouldn't. Aliens vs Predator has a horribly quality record while Skyrim is known for 100's of hours of fun. It's based on prior knowledge.

If Asrock fucked up their reputation with the PC community, that's their issue. The stigma is there and for people who had horrible experience with Asrock products along with their customer service will continue to downtalk them. While it's great that you had a great experience with one of their motherboards, that is a sign of good news that they're doing something to improve their reputation but it will not wipe away the stigma had with them.

It's similar to the whole Nvidia vs AMD GPU debate. AMD has had a horrible track record with driver support and people have recommend Nvidia for this reason. Does this make someone an elitist for saying AMD isn't a good choice? Hell no. It has everything to do with prior experience and quality. Sure you can make the choice of getting the product, but I would do more careful research and make sure that there isn't a specific problem.

There are brands that you know will always have quality, and there are brands that can be cheaper but extremely sketchy. Asrock is definitely in the cheaper department so it's important to note that if you do get a motherboard, make sure to check reviews online before purchasing.

Eh, I'll just drop it. It's not worth derailing the topic for. I just don't like it when people say "you shouldn't get this because it sucks", because even if it were objectively true, just saying so without much elaboration on it and especially when you name-call a company, it just makes you seem anti-that company for biased reasons- I had no clue people actually apparently collectively refer to ASRock as assrock due to their past reputation, it just seemed like a fanboyish thing to me. Like people who say "microshit" instead of Microsoft, "Crapple" instead of Apple, etc.

But yeah, just ignore me, sorry that I misunderstood, carry on.

Is his motherboard old or something? Also why ASSrock? Gross. Get a good brand.

He got it as a present, and has had the board for a long time. It'll be fine.

I imagine the motherboard is really old, I've never even heard of the chipset it runs off of. 

low-end AM3+ motherboards go for chump change nowadays, if his fucks up it won't cost much to replace it.

Don't buy prebuilt systems from NewEgg. At the very least don't buy ones from iBuyPower.

Dissy and I went through the basics of building a PC over skype to get his new parts up and running, but it turns out the motherboard that was listed in the combo was not the motherboard he recieved. Instead he recieved a Gigabyte motherboard with even less processor compatibillity than the ASRock one.

Pick your parts, buy, build. Don't let shitty NewEgg deals trick you.

lol. That's Tigerdirect.

If he got a motherboard that wasn't the one listed, couldn't he just have gotten the replacement for free? Seems like a mistake and nothing to do with the quality of combo packs.

IT's a motherboard that's out of print. 

Besides, I'd say he got lucky. Gigabyte is much better than ASSRock.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?SID=f5795beb1a3c4499822cb8f4bda6d00c&AID=10440897&PID=1225267&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&ItemList=Combo.1730237&cm_sp=

So this new Pentium processor seems to be pretty rad. It is super over-clockable and can reach up to i5 performance. It's ridicously cheap and worth it with the motherboard combos. Building a PC for cheap can be possible with this. $70 CPU/MB Combo, $30 PSU, $100 GPU, $40 case, $50 hard drive.

$290 Gaming PC that should be able to run a ton of games at mid-high settings.

Mind telling me what Powersupply it is? A shitty power supply can do more harm than good.

His DELL? DELL PSU are usually really high quality. The only issue I'd be worried about is the wattage level

• 9 months later...

http://slickdeals.net/f/7827893-asus-geforce-gtx-970-2x4gb-kingston-hyperx-ddr3-750w-solidgear-bundle-350-309-w-60-mir-10-discount

$400 for a PSU, 8GB RAM, and a high end GPU. The GTX 970 blows consoles away and will allow you to play games on max settings. Just throw in a processor and motherboard and you got yourself one beast of a machine. $150 i5 Processor, $50 Motherboard, and $50 SSD. It'll probably even match up the platforms after PS4 and Xbox One.

I wish I could find professional reviews on that power supply, all I can find is a JohnnyGuru thread saying it's bad. Other than that ratings for it is all over the place.

Have you ever used one?

Have you ever used one?

No but it's a deal with the ram addition alone. The PSU is an extra bonus and if someone wouldn't want to use it, they could probably sell it off.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?sdtid=7828711&SID=7d421802166742c18d56c85bb8f4e6d0&AID=10440897&PID=1225267&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&ItemList=Combo.2308706&cm_sp=

$82 Motherboard + Intel CPU. This CPU overclocks and stands up pretty well to i3s and i5s. Where in the case you'll need to spend more than 2x more for the CPU alone, and then even more on a motherboard.