Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Oh yeah and don't forget that the official Smash Bros. website's character list comes in slots of 9 at a time, and 45 is a multiple of 9. Because of that I think 45 is way more likely than 50. It's not an end-all argument obviously but it's notable.

And yeah I'd also love to see more stages or elements from stages based on side-games. Smash Bros. is about due for some more Mario RPG references 8(

Oh yeah and don't forget that the official Smash Bros. website's character list comes in slots of 9 at a time, and 45 is a multiple of 9. Because of that I think 45 is way more likely than 50. It's not an end-all argument obviously but it's notable.

And yeah I'd also love to see more stages or elements from stages based on side-games. Smash Bros. is about due for some more Mario RPG references 8(

Slots of 9? What do you mean? I see slots of 5. Plus any Newcomers take up three slots on their own.

The only really TRULY questionable return announced to date is Toon Link.

Lucario.

fb436cc0b86e91ceabdc212c37898095.png

The bit at the bottom of character pages where you can scroll through the characters in order of reveal, every page is 9 slots without fail. If the page isn't complete yet, it shows the revealed ones and then grey boxes for the remainder of the 9 like you can see in the pic. Every time a new page shows up it's 9 slots again. 9's.. a weird number. Which always made me think that the maximum roster would be a multiple of 9. Multiples of 9 include 36, 45, and 54. I think I know which of those numbers is a most likely roster count.

Lucario.

You mean that significantly popular Pokémon who introduced the Mega mechanic in the latest entry in the series, has a huge statue based on him, is the focus of one of the most widely loved Pokémon movies, and has a completely unique moveset and gimmick in the SSB series? Yeah, that sure is a questionable return compared to cloney-mcclone-link.

• Thumbs Up 3

So, comparing that "leaked" screenshot to the For Fun/For Glory lobby (one of the few shots we have of any sort of menu)...

UaAv4yn.jpg?1

super_smash_bros_online.0_cinema_640.0.j

It actually matches the menu style we see there fairly well. I think it might actually be legit. If not, somebody clearly did their research.

So, comparing that "leaked" screenshot to the For Fun/For Glory lobby (one of the few shots we have of any sort of menu)...

UaAv4yn.jpg?1

super_smash_bros_online.0_cinema_640.0.j

It actually matches the menu style we see there fairly well. I think it might actually be legit. If not, somebody clearly did their research.

Yeah, I'm well aware of that. That's one of the reasons I believe it could be legit, and honestly, if they're going for as much as they can, 50 sounds quite good to me. I can't imagine higher than that. 45 is fine by me as well if the Sal Romano leak is false (which personally I don't buy it anyway, too many inconsistencies plus Chorus Men, but meh).

I think the worst part about it all is the fact that there are only 6 slots left that aren't filled (unless I truly suck at counting).

I dislike the thought of everything coming to a close before certain characters have been revealed, but then again you never know what they might have planned after the game is released.

I think the worst part about it all is the fact that there are only 6 slots left that aren't filled (unless I truly suck at counting).

I dislike the thought of everything coming to a close before certain characters have been revealed, but then again you never know what they might have planned after the game is released.

Nah, another page will be added after those 6 slots are filled, that's what's happened so far. When the site first opened, there were only 2 pages' worth of 9 slots, now there are 4. For example, before the Smash Bros. Direct, Pit, Pikachu and Bowser were on the third page and there were a couple empty slots on it. After ZSS, Sheik, Greninja etc were revealed, they got pushed to the fourth page.

My guess is there will be 5 pages of 9 characters each. 45 slots in total.

That "leak" looks  nice. The menu style is does make it look pretty convincing, but honestly the character select itself looks like a gigantic mess. Its not layed out like any character select screen in the past and they have no reason to change it.

The only reason I don't buy it is literally all those damn locks on the character select. It looks so ugly and makes it more of a pain to navagate. Usually Smash doesn't display all of the locked characters right away.

Where do you get six slots from? Are you referring to the number of slots on a character's page? Whenever those are filled up another nine slots show up on the page, so there's nothing to worry about in that regard.

To be honest, "leaks" matching menus we've seen already literally adds literally nothing to whether they're believable or not.  Anyone who does a fake that even vaguely looks legit would research what we've seen of the user interface so far unless they were completely incompetent.

• Thumbs Up 6

To be honest, "leaks" matching menus we've seen already literally adds literally nothing to whether they're believable or not.  Anyone who does a fake that even vaguely looks legit would research what we've seen of the user interface so far unless they were completely incompetent.

Meh, I'm just playing devil's advocate mostly. At the very least there's nothing that really condemns it as fake, but it's playing it so "safe" that it really does nothing but give us a general idea of the roster size and franchise representation.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nah, another page will be added after those 6 slots are filled, that's what's happened so far. When the site first opened, there were only 2 pages' worth of 9 slots, now there are 4. For example, before the Smash Bros. Direct, Pit, Pikachu and Bowser were on the third page and there were a couple empty slots on it. After ZSS, Sheik, Greninja etc were revealed, they got pushed to the fourth page.

I'm going to take that and hold onto it in hope that you are correct. Having the number that can be seen on those screenshots doesn't make the game seem as large as it could be.

There were 39 characters in Brawl, for example and 25 in Melee, wouldn't they want to go for that kind of increase in number? If it is 45, then that's only 6 more compared to Brawl while that game had 14 more than Melee. I dunno, maybe I'm just trying to make the game grander than it's supposed to be.

Where do you get six slots from? Are you referring to the number of slots on a character's page? Whenever those are filled up another nine slots show up on the page, so there's nothing to worry about in that regard.

I hope there's no reason to worry, I'm just hoping it's not going to turn out looking like Brawl again and while I really enjoyed that game, it's still going to be me buying Brawl again with a few changes to levels and a few characters switched in.

...Although, even though Sakurai doesn't like doing this, the idea of DLC's in the future as more content is created sounds like it could be a pretty sweet idea.

The problem is it is easy to create a new interface. Replicating an existing interface in the exact same style exactly the same way isn't. We didn't see the character select screen, but all the interface sections up top look exactly like the one we've already seen.

What the hell are you looking at? WHAT official site?

It sure as hell isn't this one: http://www.smashbros.com/

What other "official site" is there?

EDIT: Oh, wait, on the character page itself? ...I never noticed that there...

And frankly I don't think that has any bearing on how many characters will actually be in the game.

I'm going to take that and hold onto it in hope that you are correct. Having the number that can be seen on those screenshots doesn't make the game seem as large as it could be.

There were 39 characters in Brawl, for example and 25 in Melee, wouldn't they want to go for that kind of increase in number? If it is 45, then that's only 6 more compared to Brawl while that game had 14 more than Melee. I dunno, maybe I'm just trying to make the game grander than it's supposed to be.

When a game is built from scratch each time, adding ~14 characters on top of the previous amount each time is a very unrealistic and kinda unreasonable wish.

Sakurai may not have said "the cast is gonna be as big as Brawl's" but he did say that the size of the roster wasn't the most important thing and there will come a point where it becomes genuinely hard to keep adding more and more at a large rate with each successive instalment. If SSB4 is between 40 and 50 characters, that point is very much reached, and things will slow considerably. There really aren't many fighting games on the market with more characters than that and there are plenty of good reasons as to why that is.

Also, you mean those "leak" screenshots? bc if so there are 50 chracter slots in those screenshots, which imo is too much to hope for and they're fake anyhow.

What the hell are you looking at? WHAT official site?

It sure as hell isn't this one: http://www.smashbros.com/

What other "official site" is there?

Yes, that official site.

Didn't you see I said exactly what I was talking about.

If you wanna know exactly where it is, just go to any character page i.e. http://www.smashbros.com/en-uk/characters/ike.html and scroll to the bottom, and you'll see the 4 "pages" of "9" slots that I was talking about.

When a game is built from scratch each time, adding ~14 characters on top of the previous amount each time is a very unrealistic and kinda unreasonable wish.

Sakurai may not have said "the cast is gonna be as big as Brawl's" but he did say that the size of the roster wasn't the most important thing and there will come a point where it becomes genuinely hard to keep adding more and more with each successive instalment. If SSB4 is between 40 and 50 characters, that point is very much reached. There really aren't many fighting games on the market with more characters than that and there are plenty of good reasons as to why that is.

Also, you mean those "leak" screenshots? bc if so there are 50 chracter slots in those screenshots, which imo is too much to hope for and they're fake anyhow.

Yes, that official site.

Didn't you see I said exactly what I was talking about.

If you wanna know exactly where it is, just go to any character page i.e. http://www.smashbros.com/en-uk/characters/ike.html and scroll to the bottom, and you'll see the 4 "pages" of "9" slots that I was talking about.

I saw the post, didn't know where it was from and I never saw it. Although I did edit my previous post and comment on it.

I honestly don't see how the "9" slots has any bearing on how many characters are in the game. They just chose 9 because it wasn't too intrusive and it fit well (although 45 is an acceptable number).

In the third screenshot that teases Ridley, there's a blue outline around his character icon, suggesting that player two has selected him. There's also a Metroid icon in the player 2 slot on the bottom.

Again, just pointing out small details. This "leak" has such little information that it doesn't really matter whether it's real or not anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

Of course they now get the menu right as soon as we see it in the direct. FAKE

How does having the same menu that's seen in the actual game make it less credible?

In the third screenshot that teases Ridley, there's a blue outline around his character icon, suggesting that player two has selected him. There's also a Metroid icon in the player 2 slot on the bottom.

Again, just pointing out small details. This "leak" has such little information that it doesn't really matter whether it's real or not anyway.

Um... where did that come from all of a sudden? Seems a bit random.

I hope there's no reason to worry, I'm just hoping it's not going to turn out looking like Brawl again and while I really enjoyed that game, it's still going to be me buying Brawl again with a few changes to levels and a few characters switched in.

...Although, even though Sakurai doesn't like doing this, the idea of DLC's in the future as more content is created sounds like it could be a pretty sweet idea.

Franky the only DLC I can see is alternate skins of characters who typically work the same as others. I keep bringing this up, but I keep having people shoot me down saying that it'd be a waste or something to demote a "clone" to an alternate skin, and how they'd rather have a character as a separate character or not appear at all. Honestly, that's just stupid. It'd expand the roster and allow you to play as other characters. I don't see what's wrong with it.

As for the roster increases, I've checked it out now. Melee 14 new characters from the previous game. Brawl had an increase of 13 playable characters. If we get 50 here, that's an increase of 11.

And frankly, I don't inherently see what's wrong with increases in the roster each game. For returning characters, they need to do some balancing perhaps and tweaking a few things plus enhancing the models, but its not as significant as creating a brand new character entirely from scratch. I do expect the increases in roster to decrease with each game, naturally, and that's the trend we're getting here as well.

Of course they now get the menu right as soon as we see it in the direct. FAKE

Its actually harder to exactly mimic an existing UI than it is to create a brand new one. Granted this could be fake, but unlike the previous "leaks" there's nothing in the initial screenshots that automatically debunks it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Um... where did that come from all of a sudden? Seems a bit random.

Franky the only DLC I can see is alternate skins of characters who typically work the same as others. I keep bringing this up, but I keep having people shoot me down saying that it'd be a waste or something to demote a "clone" to an alternate skin, and how they'd rather have a character as a separate character or not appear at all. Honestly, that's just stupid. It'd expand the roster and allow you to play as other characters. I don't see what's wrong with it.

I'd rather see the clones being alternative skins as well, I mean...did they serve much purpose competitively other than having different stats? It'd be pretty cool to have them as being alternative skins complete with the voices because otherwise they were the same character.

One inconsistency is thatWii Fit Trainer's name is always stylized as Wii Fit TRAINER. However in these pictures it's just WII FIT TRAINER.

One inconsistency is thatWii Fit Trainer's name is always stylized as Wii Fit TRAINER. However in these pictures it's just WII FIT TRAINER.

All the letters are capitalized though for all the characters.